How can the match

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

RUMPLESTILTSKIN
Team Supported: Darlington

How can the match

Post by RUMPLESTILTSKIN » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:12 pm

be on this morning then we have the temperature slightly rising and the match is off.

Different ref? Different criteria? what?

I'm going back home, totally bewildered.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King

super_les_mcjannet

Re: How can the match

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:24 pm

We obviously took a gamble that it would be possible to get the pitch ready by 1pm.

Sun is out in Darlo and seems a perfect day for a game. The pitch needs the drainage fixing which is planed for this summer, I guess we just have to accept it.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:27 pm

It appears that the puddles were the issue as they froze and formed icy patches. The rest of the pitch looked playable as the frost had firmed up the ground.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:34 pm

It reminds me of Feethams.

You'd phone and be told the match was on, only to get there and .................
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Yackley_Quaker

Post by Yackley_Quaker » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:41 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:It reminds me of Feethams.

You'd phone and be told the match was on, only to get there and .................
I remember those days!! I used to get the bus from Aycliffe. You'd arrive at the bus station to see crowds of people heading away from the ground. No mobiles in those days everyone turned up 10 to 3 and turned round to go home again. No all day opening then so you couldn't even go for a pint !!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:46 pm

Feethams :roll: As I walked in, I'd never believe the people telling me the match was off! I would have to go and look for myself, as if there was a big conspiracy going on.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:49 pm

Just used to put a big board up outside saying match off

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:58 pm

Thinking about it there could well be a few who turn up today.

If you've checked in the morning then not kept an eye on things.

That's what "Rumple" was getting at.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:03 pm

Cannot believe a game can be on, temperatures rise, then called off 4 hours later unless you are Darlington FC. If the ref had presumably discussed the icy patches concerns with the club and the groundsman and given 4 more hours to get rid of them, then what the hell was this so called groundsman doing in that time.If help was needed from volunteers why wait 2 hours to announce it.There was standing water on the pitch yesterday, what efforts were made to spike the pitch or whatever knowing full well an early morning inspection was on the agenda.Surely a couple of tons of rock salt should be available on the premises for instances like this.Very annoyed along with many let down Darlo fans, questions need to be asked, we will struggle big time with these games in hand and we will be 5 behind Salford after today and probably 6 points adrift.Who is this so called "groundsman" by the way, is he paid by Bishop Auckland or is it Gary Ventrass.Must try and calm down but totally cheesed off.

sasha44

Post by sasha44 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:13 pm

Dont think it will be any better when we move to blackwell meadows.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:20 pm

sasha44 wrote:Dont think it will be any better when we move to blackwell meadows.
You must be joking, cannot be any worse than HP, thanks to Bishop Auckland for the ground share over the last 3 years but cannot wait to get back to Darlo and be in control of football related matters like pitch maintenance.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:45 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
sasha44 wrote:Dont think it will be any better when we move to blackwell meadows.
You must be joking, cannot be any worse than HP, thanks to Bishop Auckland for the ground share over the last 3 years but cannot wait to get back to Darlo and be in control of football related matters like pitch maintenance.
Will we be in charge of all things maintenance, granted the Rugby team won't be as bothered about a nice level pitch but we still have two teams playing on the same pitch.

Quakers23

Post by Quakers23 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:18 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Cannot believe a game can be on, temperatures rise, then called off 4 hours later unless you are Darlington FC. If the ref had presumably discussed the icy patches concerns with the club and the groundsman and given 4 more hours to get rid of them, then what the hell was this so called groundsman doing in that time.If help was needed from volunteers why wait 2 hours to announce it.There was standing water on the pitch yesterday, what efforts were made to spike the pitch or whatever knowing full well an early morning inspection was on the agenda.Surely a couple of tons of rock salt should be available on the premises for instances like this.Very annoyed along with many let down Darlo fans, questions need to be asked, we will struggle big time with these games in hand and we will be 5 behind Salford after today and probably 6 points adrift.Who is this so called "groundsman" by the way, is he paid by Bishop Auckland or is it Gary Ventrass.Must try and calm down but totally cheesed off.
Looking at the official Twitter feed, it was only 34 mins between saying the match was on and then asking for volunteer help - not 2 hours!!!

Obviously the ref wanted to give the game a chance and see if the combination of help on the pitch, and the sun moving across it would be sufficient to get the game on. If the game had been called off at 8.45 then fans would be unhappy saying that we 'should have given the pitch a chance' and 'why not have a second later inspection' Seems the club are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't.!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:21 pm

Quakers23 wrote: Looking at the official Twitter feed, it was only 34 mins between saying the match was on and then asking for volunteer help - not 2 hours!!!

Obviously the ref wanted to give the game a chance and see if the combination of help on the pitch, and the sun moving across it would be sufficient to get the game on. If the game had been called off at 8.45 then fans would be unhappy saying that we 'should have given the pitch a chance' and 'why not have a second later inspection' Seems the club are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't.!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You've hit the nail on the head.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Rufusuk

Communicatons re pitch inspections!

Post by Rufusuk » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:57 pm

"THE GAME HAS PASSED A PITCH INPSECTION" is a completely different message to "THE PITCH SHOULD BE OK, BUT WE'LL TAKE ANOTHER LOOK IN 3 - 4 HOURS".

I've just travelled 60 miles there and 60 miles back based on the earlier news that :-
"THE GAME HAS PASSED A PITCH INPSECTION"!

No 'hint' to check later!

Not good enough!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:11 pm

It bemuses me just how many people think the sun will do anything for the pitch. Forget the sun at this time of the year.

Even at high noon it is only 15 degrees above the horizon. This creates two problems...1) it simply never rises high enough in the sky so that parts of the pitch never get out of the shadow of the stands, and 2) even in full sunlight there is next to no warmth to melt anything anyway.

Once you get into February and especially late February, it's a different kettle of fish, because the sun climbs higher and higher daily, while also at the same time becoming much warmer.

But at this time of the year there is one thing only that will help dry a wet pitch, or help thaw a frozen pitch - and that is a strong, mild breeze.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

feethamslad

Post by feethamslad » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:14 pm

I agree with Rufusuk.

I posted the following on the official DFC facebook feed:

"Not too bad for me as only got as far as Wetherby (30 mins. from home) when I heard the match was off. I'd be mightily pissed off if I was a Prescott fan having set off seeing the first match definitely ON statement. Poor show."

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:34 pm

Quakerz is great when he hits Met Office mode.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:56 pm

I love facts, me.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:59 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Quakerz is great when he hits Met Office mode.
Is he a professor in weather like, innit?
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:02 pm

His dad's Michael Fish.

RUMPLESTILTSKIN

Post by RUMPLESTILTSKIN » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:13 pm

He is an expert, knowing all the answers after the event. Look carefully at his posts. Comes on to ridicule and prove his "knowledge" after all is done and dusted.
Should be in politics, an absolute ace when it comes to stating the bleeding obvious.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:12 pm

Why weren't the covers put ON??????

Sat ont shitter