Thommo

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

windyforce4
Team Supported: Darlington

Thommo

Post by windyforce4 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:48 pm

Whats happened to Tommo this season ? He has been a shadow of the player he was last year picking up the managers player of the season.I have watched him with such frustration so far knowing what he is capable of. Maybe the other teams have sussed him out and marking him out of the game. Just doesn't seam to have the fight i would of expected that he had. If its a lack of confidence then surely his award last year and the position we are in should give him that. Loses the ball to much and is reluctant to fight for it back. Doesn't look as fit this year or is he carrying an injury ?. I am hoping he finds hes form for the remainder of the season to push us towards promotion. I thought with Armstrong and Amar up front he would have had greater movement in front of the oppositions back 4. Maybe with Cartman coming in, it may help him re discover his form and play like we know he can. This post is not a criticism just frustration because of the player he was last season.

divas

Re: Thommo

Post by divas » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:41 pm

I reckon he's turner a corner in the last few games. Also, we're now not the one man team we possibly were last season. We've now 4 or 5 match winners which means we now don't always have to get the ball to Thommo.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:52 pm

divas wrote:I reckon he's turner a corner in the last few games. Also, we're now not the one man team we possibly were last season. We've now 4 or 5 match winners which means we now don't always have to get the ball to Thommo.
Agree with that, he was getting right back into his game until these postponements came along.

Just needs to keep working at it.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:27 pm

I think he's been carrying an injury (perhaps like Galbraith last season). There were a few times earlier in the season where he was only running at about 50-60%.

For me there's no way that it's down to laziness. He lives and breaths football and I think it's taken a while to get over what he's had. He's been slowly getting better. A solid run of games would help

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:58 am

Agree with above post. He doesn't have that initial burst of speed that took him past/away from defenders last year. Seems to be conscious of something - quite often seems to be stretching his leg when ball's not near him, or break in play.

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:10 am

Think its a mixture of all above.

Over the last few months when games have been on, think for the most part he's been pretty good.

Also think as a team overall we are a lot better than last year, Armstrong and Portas have made a huge difference and Mitchell being here for the whole season.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:09 pm

In defence of him he has been supplying balls as opposed to scoring recently and has been heavily marked, still I also think he's not 100%

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:18 pm

Thommo took a lot of knocks when he was scoring for fun, so maybe he is carrying something.

He had the ability to use pace to get past the first defender, but the opposition now seem more able to get in his way, rather than backing off.

Another aspect is that Darlo are often flighting long balls forward and losing the sort of possession the midfielder players enjoyed in 2012 and 2013.

There may be some reshuffling and more substitutions during games with the arrival of Cartman and Mota and also the team having to play twice a week.

Thommo may, fitness permitting, take a "part-game" attacking impact role, rather than continue being bi-passed.