50 years ago Arsenal

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

footifan
Team Supported: Darlington

50 years ago Arsenal

Post by footifan » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:56 am

Anyone else remember the FA Cup game Jan 9th 1965 at home to Arsenal

I was there with my " UP THE QUAKERS " banner , made with one of my mothers sheets & two poles bought from Handicrafts in Bondgate.
We lost 2 - 0 can't remember much of the game around 20, 000 there I think.

Lol Morgan was our player manager.
George Eastham , Don Howes, Armstrong played for them

The bright spot we beat the Chokers 4 - 1 in a replay in the 2nd round to get to the 3rd round

Edit: Just read the p1ss poor report by Scott Wilson in the Echo about the game.... responded by leaving this message :
" A very poorly researched piece Scott Wilson: To lose 2 - 0 to a team that finished 7th in the 1st Division that year, full of Internationals like George Eastham, Frank McLintock etc was not a bad result.
Darlington were not teetering on the brink of non league football in fact finished 17 th , quite comfortable in the days of re-election when hardly any one got voted out ... ask Hartlepool they hold the record number of applications for re- election. In fact Darlo beat monkey hangers 4 - 1 in a replay for the right to play the mighty Arsenal.
Far from teetering in fact they went on to be promoted to the 3rd Division under the same player manager Lol Morgan the very next season."
Last edited by footifan on Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

swadquaker

Re: 50 years ago Arsenal

Post by swadquaker » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:16 am

Cant remember much about it other than we froze a bit. I was behind goal at the kop, and only remember us having one real chance, one on one with keeper. Disappointing game as we never managed to put them under pressure, but yes the Pools replay was a magic night.

Quakers1883
Team Supported: Quakers

Post by Quakers1883 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:19 am

Stod has posted a photo of the match.

https://twitter.com/official_darlo
FORZA DARLO

footifan

Post by footifan » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:54 am

swadquaker wrote:Cant remember much about it other than we froze a bit. I was behind goal at the kop, and only remember us having one real chance, one on one with keeper. Disappointing game as we never managed to put them under pressure, but yes the Pools replay was a magic night.

Good second half performance though. The Echo report ( see my edit above )... I had the programme ( son has them now ) I thought their goalkeeper was Jim Furnell not the Tony Burns quoted in the Echo... any one know ?

Swad by Kop do you mean the South Park end ? Never heard it called the Kop before ... I was behind the goal in the Tinshed

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:54 am

Quite a disappointing game I recall, didn't create any chances and Arsenal could and should have scored more. Joe Baker another England international chief culprit, blasting one chance over the tin shed from 10 yds out ,the ball clearing the cricket pitch as well.
Team was O,Neill, Peverell, Morgan, Yeoman, Greener, Atkinson, McGeachie, Maltby , Lawton, Conlon ,Bambridge.
Arsenal had Burns, Howe, Clarke, Mclintock, Ure, Court, Skirton, Radford, Baker, Eastham, Armstrong.
I may be wrong but didn't our keeper O'Neill go off injured in the second half , never to be seen again.
Crowd was 19,717 giving gate receipts of a massive £4,183.

swadquaker

Post by swadquaker » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:42 pm

Yes footifan. I dont remember it being called the kop then but seen it so referred since. It was our "star" centre forward Lawton that failed to convert one on one.

footifan

Post by footifan » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:15 pm

Interesting Swad... as I said never heard it called the Kop before. always the Park end or South Terracing.

Rufusuk

Post by Rufusuk » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:14 pm

Is that the game that we spent a couple of days beforehand clearing the pitch of snow?

davidcorks 40yard OG

Post by davidcorks 40yard OG » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:12 pm

swadquaker wrote:Yes footifan. I dont remember it being called the kop then but seen it so referred since. It was our "star" centre forward Lawton that failed to convert one on one.

I'm coming up on 30 years of Darlo supporting and have never ever heard anyone call the south terrace the kop?

Never has been gotta be a typo :lol:

Quakers1883

Post by Quakers1883 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:54 pm

davidcorks 40yard OG wrote:
swadquaker wrote:Yes footifan. I dont remember it being called the kop then but seen it so referred since. It was our "star" centre forward Lawton that failed to convert one on one.

I'm coming up on 30 years of Darlo supporting and have never ever heard anyone call the south terrace the kop?

I always knew it as the Polem end :?
FORZA DARLO

swadquaker

Post by swadquaker » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:14 pm

Maybe it was just me and my mate then!!!

RUMPLESTILTSKIN

Post by RUMPLESTILTSKIN » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:34 pm

Quakers1883 wrote:

Polam end. :D :roll:
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King

Quakers1883

Post by Quakers1883 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:37 pm

RUMPLESTILTSKIN wrote:
Quakers1883 wrote:

Polam end. :D :roll:
Thats the one! :oops: :oops: :oops:
FORZA DARLO

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:13 pm

By the way the South Terrace was said to have been built by Italian Prisoners of War, using a fill of waste ash & slag.