Heritage Park, and the condition of ...

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Heritage Park, and the condition of ...

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:10 pm

Are we looking good for a bit of football on Saturday??
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Bogratsteve

Re: Heritage Park, and the condition of ...

Post by Bogratsteve » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:51 pm

Bit of rain Friday night I think (last check) but hopeful

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:10 pm

Temperature has been pretty warm today, no chance of it being frozen off, very little in rain aswell, i'd be suprised if it was called off

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:34 pm

Weather seems decent enough that we should get a game on. Quite an improtant game for us when you look at the other fixtures for the top end teams.

Darlo v Radcliffe Borough
Farsley v Droylsden
Northwich v Salford
Ossett Albion v Spennymor
Scarborough v Mossley
Warrington v Bamber Bridge

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:06 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Weather seems decent enough that we should get a game on. Quite an improtant game for us when you look at the other fixtures for the top end teams.

Darlo v Radcliffe Borough
Farsley v Droylsden
Northwich v Salford
Ossett Albion v Spennymor
Scarborough v Mossley
Warrington v Bamber Bridge
If we win, at least 2 of the top teams will lose points on us

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:54 pm

Yep a big weekend this one, setting us up for the Christmas fixtures. Gray is also very aware of the other fixtures this weekend and that Radcliffe will be a tough game.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:12 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote: Radcliffe will be a tough game.
17th position, the only team without an away win. Would be very disappointing if we did not win.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

TSQuaker

Post by TSQuaker » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:21 pm

Looking at the forecast online I'd be very surprised if the game was in any danger.
Northern League Champions 2013

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:49 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote: Radcliffe will be a tough game.
17th position, the only team without an away win. Would be very disappointing if we did not win.
Whilst I agree, they took a point off us in the away game and beat Droylsden 5-3 the other week.

We have dropped points against 3 teams already who you would expect us to win against Burscough, Radcliffe Borough & Clitheroe if you went by position and previous results.

Maybe won't be easy but we certainly could do with getting the win.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:09 pm

Radcliffe aren't a great side at all. We were so poor in the game at their place. They have next to nothing up front, one pretty quick guy with very little end product.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:33 pm

lo36789 wrote:Radcliffe aren't a great side at all. We were so poor in the game at their place. They have next to nothing up front, one pretty quick guy with very little end product.
Bevan Burey I think is the guy you mean, plays right wing. Watson done quite well against him in the FA Trophy game and I agree very fast but may not have the end product often.

Hopefully pitch will be good, the wind may spoil the game mind as it's expected to be windy on Saturday

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:29 am

How much is it for under five's to get in?

Looking to bring my little en' for her first visit to Heritage Park!

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:19 am

I'd like to think we should get the result.

As per a post before, we were in the middle of our awful run when we draw at there place.

This really is a side we need to beat, suspensions or not.

Having Hunter back will surely help

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:08 am

AndyPark wrote:How much is it for under five's to get in?

Looking to bring my little en' for her first visit to Heritage Park!
Free - see official website

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:37 pm

Sidarlo wrote:I'd like to think we should get the result.

As per a post before, we were in the middle of our awful run when we draw at there place.

This really is a side we need to beat, suspensions or not.

Having Hunter back will surely help
Will Hunter get back in after how well Galbraith played at centre half? I would guess he would but it shows how versatile some of our players are.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:02 pm

Hunter and White have been so integral to our good season so far I'd expect he will come straight back in. Saying that, if Galbraith did play well at CB maybe Hunter might come in for Nearny at RB.

We should win tomorrow, and it would be a big result if we manage it, as others around us will drop points.

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:15 pm

Not as long as sometimes, but preview for tomorrow

http://simonhahn89.wordpress.com/2014/1 ... e-preview/

For me Hunter has to come straight back in at CB along with Whitey no matter how good a job tez did last week.

Hunter/White together have been the rock for us recently when played at CB.

In terms of RB if fully fit i would play Robinson there, i dont personally like him as a RB, but would rather see him there then someone else who cant play in defence drop back.

The on loan player from hartlepool could be the other one to play there, but he has been brought off at half time in both the games he has played so far

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:48 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two changes tomorrow or Boxing Day with games covering Sat/Fri/Sun/Thu/Sat coming up (5 games in 15 days).

Nearney's loan spell must be close to ending, announced on 21st November, so presuming tomorrow will be his last game.

Possible below, I think Gray will swap around one or two for Scarborough and then swap back against Farsley.

Jameson
Nearney, Hunter, White, Watson
Mitchell, Portas, Scott, Thompson
Armstrong, Purewal

Bell, Dowson, Galbraith, Mota, Cocks, Robinson, Weldon

18 man squad, so two will miss out and we will have Brown and Hatch to come back in for Farsley, no doubt with the loss of Nearney.

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:49 pm

Scarborough are on a good run themselves since we Ko'd them from the Trophy, could be a tough one

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:59 pm

He may well swap one or two this weekend for that reason. I wonder if Mota gets an outing.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:15 pm

Weldons up for loan so not sure if we will see him on the bench much over Xmas, hopefully the form continues & we bag max points

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:35 am

Looking forward to today's game.
With other promotion contenders playing each other, this is a real chance to gain some ground.

But we can't be complacent. I've seen Darlo throw points away against sides like Radcliffe in the past.

I also find it interesting many people are discounting Warrington.

They have games in hand, will have learnt from last season and the league is so changeable, a few wins on the spin would lift them up the table.

The title may be beyond them, but they are far from out of the play-off picture.

Only a fool would write them off.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:49 pm

Warrington Gramps??

They've just lost their last two games :thumbup:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Ginge01

Post by Ginge01 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:32 pm

I think it is getting / got too late for Warrington to overtake a lot of teams to make the playoffs as they don't seem to have been the same side since we pounded them at their place last season.

IMHO
The league looks to have three top teams, us, Northwich and Salford for the championship, the two who don't win it will have Bamber Bridge and Farsley in the playoffs with maybe Spenny replacing one of them.
I expect Bamber Bridge, Farsley and Spenny to move up the table with games in hand, Spenny have to avoid a fixture backlog that wears them out at the end of the season but that's not our problem.
The rest of the top 9, Droylsden lost their 10th game today (the worst number of losses in the top 9 by 2 games), Scarborough looking like a team not good enough away to make the playoffs with 8 losses and Harrogate with 8 losses also will fall away when the teams with a backlog of games pull away.
When our squad is all healthy and back from suspension, we should be good enough to go back to the top, we just need to avoid dropping home points as this is the third straight year where our away record has been incredible, only Northwich has more away points but they've played two more games.

....................... Pd W D L....W D L...F..A.....GD...Pts
1. Northwich Vict. 23 8 3 1... 7 0 4.. 41 20.. 21.. 48
2. Darlington....... 21 8 3 1... 6 2 1.. 48 13.. 35.. 47
3. Salford City..... 22 9 2 1... 5 3 2.. 43 25.. 18 ..47
4. Droylsden....... 24 9 0 3... 5 0 7.. 66 45.. 21.. 42
5. Bamber Bridge 20 7 2 2... 5 2 2.. 40 30.. 10.. 40
6. Scarborough... 22 9 0 2... 4 1 6.. 42 35.. 07.. 40
7. Farsley AFC.... 20 7 2 1... 5 1 4.. 42 24.. 18.. 39
8. Harrogate R A. 24 6 4 2... 5 1 6.. 56 51.. 05.. 38
9. Spennymoor... 19 5 2 2... 5 3 2.. 39 22.. 17.. 35

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:54 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Warrington Gramps??

They've just lost their last two games :thumbup:
I'm still not discounting them. I know some small-minded people will write them off purely because they dislike what happened on the opening day of the season.

But they have games in hand and I do think there's ability in that squad. I think they might go on a run and have a late challenge for the play-offs.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:16 pm

After the last 2 results I am discounting Warrington but before that I did think they would have a run at it. They have left themselves too much to get into that top 5.

I noticed on twitter that the chairman reckons they haven't even started using the money from the FA Cup run yet. They might be better off keeping the money and increasing next seasons budget rather than spending it now.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:56 pm

Ginge01 wrote:I think it is getting / got too late for Warrington to overtake a lot of teams to make the playoffs as they don't seem to have been the same side since we pounded them at their place last season.

IMHO
The league looks to have three top teams, us, Northwich and Salford for the championship, the two who don't win it will have Bamber Bridge and Farsley in the playoffs with maybe Spenny replacing one of them.
I expect Bamber Bridge, Farsley and Spenny to move up the table with games in hand, Spenny have to avoid a fixture backlog that wears them out at the end of the season but that's not our problem.
The rest of the top 9, Droylsden lost their 10th game today (the worst number of losses in the top 9 by 2 games), Scarborough looking like a team not good enough away to make the playoffs with 8 losses and Harrogate with 8 losses also will fall away when the teams with a backlog of games pull away.
When our squad is all healthy and back from suspension, we should be good enough to go back to the top, we just need to avoid dropping home points as this is the third straight year where our away record has been incredible, only Northwich has more away points but they've played two more games.

....................... Pd W D L....W D L...F..A.....GD...Pts
1. Northwich Vict. 23 8 3 1... 7 0 4.. 41 20.. 21.. 48
2. Darlington....... 21 8 3 1... 6 2 1.. 48 13.. 35.. 47
3. Salford City..... 22 9 2 1... 5 3 2.. 43 25.. 18 ..47
4. Droylsden....... 24 9 0 3... 5 0 7.. 66 45.. 21.. 42
5. Bamber Bridge 20 7 2 2... 5 2 2.. 40 30.. 10.. 40
6. Scarborough... 22 9 0 2... 4 1 6.. 42 35.. 07.. 40
7. Farsley AFC.... 20 7 2 1... 5 1 4.. 42 24.. 18.. 39
8. Harrogate R A. 24 6 4 2... 5 1 6.. 56 51.. 05.. 38
9. Spennymoor... 19 5 2 2... 5 3 2.. 39 22.. 17.. 35
Harrogate RA is the standout. Probably the lowest budget team in that list.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:14 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:After the last 2 results I am discounting Warrington but before that I did think they would have a run at it. They have left themselves too much to get into that top 5.
Too much to do? Have to disagree there.

They have more than half their games left to play. There's still five months left in the season. Loads of time to make a challenge.

There always tends to be one team that makes a late run and I believe it's going to be them this season. I could be wrong, but I think they'll be at least challenging.They will certainly finish much higher than where they are currently.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:48 pm

Warrington have lost 8 already and for me they are a decent team but not a team that will go on a long match winning run which they would need to do to challenge for the top 5.

Darlo, Northwich, Salford, Spenny Town, Bamber Bridge and Farsley will all finish above them. You then have Droylsden, Scarborough & Harrogate RA who have a good chance of finishing above them.

Warrington need to improve their team but maybe better off spending the FA Cup money next season from the start. I guess time will tell and football often proves us wrong.

Ginge01

Post by Ginge01 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:42 pm

Agreed Super_Les

I think everyone can agree, at the end of the season, Warrington will show who they were.

Today Warrington are 7 wins, 3 draws and 8 losses, so they appear to be a middle of the table team, it does not show who they've played this season.

Capitals for the top 9 teams
Home wins over Ossett Town, Padiham, SPENNYMOOR, Radcliffe with home losses to SALFORD, BAMBER BRIDGE

Away wins over HARROGATE RA, Kendal, Ossett Albion, Mossley with an away draw at SALFORD, away losses at DARLINGTON, NORTHWICH VIC, BAMBER BRIDGE, DROYLSDEN & Prescot Cables.

Their away fixtures have been brutal so far, they've played at the top 5, and have just one point from a 2-2 draw at Salford. So a lot of lower division teams to play.
Their home fixtures against the top 9 have one win over Spenny, two losses from Salford and Bamber Bridge.

The simple conclusion is they have not play well against the top 5 teams, a combined 0 1 6 record so far, 7 2 2 against the rest of the division.
To make the playoffs, it is obvious, Warrington need to beat everyone outside of the top 5 and hope the top 5 teams drop points, their last lose at 20th place Prescot Cables on Boxing Day does not help them.

By February 7th, assuming all their games are played, the playoff surge has to have happened or its over, maybe not mathematically but realistically.

Jan
Thu 01st H NORTHWICH VICTORIA
Sat 03rd A Burscough
Sat 10th H HARROGATE R A
Sat 17th A SCARBOROUGH
Sat 24th H Lancaster
Sat 31st A SPENNYMOOR
Sat 07th H DROYLSDEN

5 of the 7 games to play against top 9 opponents, 3 at home, long trips to Scarborough and Spennymoor. They need probably (4 wins 2 draws and 1 loss, 14 points) or (5 wins and 2 losses, 15 points) minimum to start making up any difference.

As I wrote yesterday, in my humble opinion,

Darlington, Salford and Northwich to win the championship, two of them with probably (two of three from Bamber Bridge, Spenny and Farsley) to be in the playoffs.
Droylsden, Scarborough and Harrogate R A to miss out on the playoffs, not impossible for them to go on a run, Harrogate possibly the least likely.

For Warrington to give it a run, they have January fixtures against the 7th, 8th and 9th rated teams in my book Droylsden, Scarborough and Harrogate R A so they need to beat all three to start catching and then push past them, then chase down the bottom of the top 6.

What they wont have after Feb 7th is many chances to take 3 points off opponents above them, they can beat a New Mills, Padiham or one of the Ossett teams, so can everyone else so they make up no ground.

If Warrington finish as high as 7th, I will be impressed by the effort they put in to get there, 7th is currently Farsley, Warrington have two games in hand but a 15 point deficit. Also 9th place Spennymoor, Warrington have 1 game in hand on them but trail by 11 points. Those two teams need to drop a lot of points to be caught.