John Campbell

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

oxfordunited
Team Supported: Oxford

John Campbell

Post by oxfordunited » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:39 am

Hi guys,

Oxford fan here, we are said to be signing non-league hotshot John Campbell today and I see he had a spell with you guys a few years ago where he scored a few goals then got shipped put pretty quickly.

Did he leave any impression on you and why did he leave?

Is it a surprise to see he is getting his chance in the football league?

Cheers

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: John Campbell

Post by lo36789 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:52 am

I'll warn you now, you will probably get some over-emotive negative responses here.

First things first, John Campbell is technically a naturally good footballer. His history at Newcastle and Man City show this - I think he scored a hatrick during his trial at City. Wherever he has played he has scored goals.

The problem he had with us, and this was mentioned was attitude. He thought he should have been playing and when he wasn't, he simply got in a huff about it. To be fair to him, the majority of fans were probably on his side calling for him to be playing but for whatever reason the manager didn't agree. In the end the pair ended up clashing and after a bit of scowling eventually Campbell left - and fell straight back to the Northern League.

I am surprised that he has had another chance. Not down to ability, but I think this is possibly his third chance (maybe even fourth) and as I understand each other occasion he was released as a result of his attitude. You always think that eventually someone will grow up, and realise that you don't often get many chances to be a professional footballer!

Since then he has left a lasting impression as he is now an avid social media user. Demonstrating absolute joy when we lose, anguish when we succeed, being quite vocal against our fans. Thing is this is all down to the lasting impression he had from being released by manager at the time - he had a lot of support from our fans - but he has pretty much alienated himself from them in the past 2/3 seasons.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:05 am

To sum up. His feet are all right... when he's in the mood. It's his head where the problems lie.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:14 am

Good footballer, a bit of an idiot. Didn't look out of place in the conference, although didn't set the world on fire either. If his attitude is right, he will probably do OK for you.

TDS

Post by TDS » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:09 pm

Comes across as a stroppy cha v.

Might have a bit of a finish on him as has been said when he's in the mood.

Lo seems to insinuate it was a bit 50/50 between him and the club but ultimately he didn't make it and some of the stuff he openly tweets/posts on social media is just so unprofessional.

Good luck to him however, may be the break he needs to get his head sorted.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:25 pm

Mark Cooper simply wanted him to grow up and act like the professional he was paid to be. This involved moving from Newcastle into the house the club rented at the time for other players who lived out of the region. He refused and the rest is history. He may act like a bit of a cock but on his day he was a decent player and more than capable of scoring goals. Good luck to him, I doubt he'll get another chance if he fluffs this one.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:42 pm

Spoke to john on many occasions,agree with most of the posts on here,he thinks and act's like he's a premier league player,hasn't got the brain to realise he,s not
But a lot of hard work physically and mentally he could move further up the league.
He does score goals,if he stops being a prick he might be ok for you,technically he,s got the ability.

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:26 pm

Doesn't deserve another chance in my opinion, terrible attitude Oxford will discover this and he will be released back to the northern league in less than a year.

princebishop

Post by princebishop » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:16 pm

Somebody at the club during Campbell's stay said that he had a gambling issue. Reminds me as similar to Paul Taylor who has loads of talent but is just an utter cock.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:29 pm

This must be his last chance to make it as a professional footballer - surely.
Its a shame he has burnt his bridges by the way he has acted as he would be good addition for us moving up the leagues....however if he ever did come back and started banging in the goals all would be forgotten.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

TSQuaker

Post by TSQuaker » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:10 pm

He's a natural goalscorer, and if he provides goals for Oxford the fans will likely forgive his big-time attitude.
Northern League Champions 2013

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:34 am

Looks like the deal has now fallen through and he's back at Roofing.

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:45 am

anyone know why?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:48 am

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:10 pm

oh no, couldnt have happened to a nicer person either, lol

:clap:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:27 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Looks like the deal has now fallen through and he's back at Roofing.
I think they wanted to re-negotiate the terms of the contract and Jarrow wanted them to keep to the original deal.

davidcorks 40yard OG

Post by davidcorks 40yard OG » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:29 pm

Made my day that its all gone tits up :D

Karmas a bitch aint it :D

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:54 pm

It wont be worth the inevitable hassle of keeping him in check for the sake of at best an ordinary player at Football League level. If he had tremendous talent to work with then fair enough, he doesn't though. He's decent, no more.