Corporal Jones... Don't Panic , Don't Panic

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

footifan
Team Supported: Darlington

Corporal Jones... Don't Panic , Don't Panic

Post by footifan » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:49 pm

It all started from " Small rumours " REALLY ...

Just glad that ground move seems to be in order & on track... Too many doom & gloom merchants in Darlo...

RUMPLESTILTSKIN

Re: Corporal Jones... Don't Panic , Don't Panic

Post by RUMPLESTILTSKIN » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:06 pm

Sorry to say, it's what we do best. It's probably the same people that drooled over George Reynolds when he told them what they wanted to hear.

I'm happy that the club is now being run professionally by volunteers. Unfortunately this means acting in the long term future of the club and not the short term 'let's keep the fans happy' cavalier attitude we have been subject to in the past.

:P
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:38 pm

footifan wrote:It all started from " Small rumours " REALLY ...

Just glad that ground move seems to be in order & on track... Too many doom & gloom merchants in Darlo...

Too many people who are "in the know" that actually know FA!

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:03 pm

it started as it was rumoured all over the place. I hope there isn't anything in it. The news report is good news, but not what I'd call conclusive.

Hopefully only good news from now on and no more rumours

footifan

Post by footifan » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:43 pm

D_F_C wrote:it started as it was rumoured all over the place. I hope there isn't anything in it. The news report is good news, but not what I'd call conclusive.

Oh the irony... the first post of the "worried " post was :

Post subject: WorriedPostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:58 pm

"I am not on here to blame or point an accusational finger at the board, but I am starting to get a little worried regarding the return to darlo.

I have heard small rumours that we can't afford it. The car park is a problem.

Even if we started now, would we even be ready for next season??? "

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:44 am

footifan wrote:
D_F_C wrote:it started as it was rumoured all over the place. I hope there isn't anything in it. The news report is good news, but not what I'd call conclusive.

Oh the irony... the first post of the "worried " post was :

Post subject: WorriedPostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:58 pm

"I am not on here to blame or point an accusational finger at the board, but I am starting to get a little worried regarding the return to darlo.

I have heard small rumours that we can't afford it. The car park is a problem.

Even if we started now, would we even be ready for next season??? "
Can't really see how it's ironic.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:58 am

Fibonacci0112358 wrote:
footifan wrote:It all started from " Small rumours " REALLY ...

Too many people who are "in the know" that actually know FA!
This hits the nail on the head.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

footifan

Post by footifan » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:27 pm

From " small " rumours grow large flappings... it was amazing to see the head of steam that grew from it.
But yes I agree " Too many people who are "in the know" that actually know FA!''

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:00 pm

I think it was because that so many people had heard the same rumour.

That being said, a statement (by the rugby club not DFC) to say planning application is to go in, does not tell me that we can necessarily afford it.

I'm not saying that we definitely can't or can afford it, I'm just not sure either way

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:26 pm

I do think the "Sky is falling in attitude" did sweep across and was not right but this also does stem from lack of communication.

The board do have to understand that the last few years cause the fans/shareholders to worry more than fans at other clubs. No one is expecting sensitive information but sharing some information would help.

No idea if we sold any but we did charge more for Adult/Concesson ST's for those that took up a Hybrid ticket. I am guessing now the plan is only for next season that these guys have paid £25 extra for nothing, not the biggest issue but things like these need to be acknowledged (Quite possibly no one bought a Hybrid ticket).

On the plus side at least we are not on our own here and the Rugby Club certainly seem to be playing a large part in this and that seems a big positive.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:49 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:I do think the "Sky is falling in attitude" did sweep across and was not right but this also does stem from lack of communication.

The board do have to understand that the last few years cause the fans/shareholders to worry more than fans at other clubs. No one is expecting sensitive information but sharing some information would help.
Like what?

There's nothing in that article which wouldn't have become available in due course (i.e. at an AGM/when the time was right to release a statement).

We have a board of volunteers at the club, and yet people are demanding they work as professionals. The fact we've had it bad in the past doesn't give fans the right to start being twitchy and then using the past as a justification.

Why should the board have to start releasing info because a few impatient fans are getting jumpy and making stuff up?

Let's be in no doubt, this is not down to a lack of communication - it's because some "fans" are impatient.

Fans come on the messageboard, fans spread misinformation, fans exaggerate rumours and yet you lay some of the blame at the club? I don't understand that.

The club will release what they can in due course. I have a lot of questions about the move (how much will it cost and where will the money come from being top of the list).

But basic common sense means I'd ask these questions in the right way (asking the club directly, going to fans' forums etc); not by flapping about on a messageboard.

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:19 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:I do think the "Sky is falling in attitude" did sweep across and was not right but this also does stem from lack of communication.

Like what?

There's nothing in that article which wouldn't have become available in due course (i.e. at an AGM/when the time was right to release a statement).

We have a board of volunteers at the club, and yet people are demanding they work as professionals. The fact we've had it bad in the past doesn't give fans the right to start being twitchy and then using the past as a justification.

Why should the board have to start releasing info because a few impatient fans are getting jumpy and making stuff up?
Let's be in no doubt, this is not down to a lack of communication - it's because some "fans" are impatient.

Fans come on the messageboard, fans spread misinformation, fans exaggerate rumours and yet you lay some of the blame at the club? I don't understand that.

The club will release what they can in due course. I have a lot of questions about the move (how much will it cost and where will the money come from being top of the list).

But basic common sense means I'd ask these questions in the right way (asking the club directly, going to fans' forums etc); not by flapping about on a messageboard.

To be fair I don't think fans were impatient, its just we were told we expected to be in after the New Year hence why there were hybrid tickets at the start of the season.
No work had been done at BM and there was no communication (yes I know its volunteers) so one rumour could start very quickly and spread and to be honest, I was a bit worried nothing had been said but all it has took was just one statement which has now happened and everything is rosy in the garden now.

Being a Darlo fan things never happen smoothly, I remember in 1982 when we had to find £50,000 to survive and from then on there has been 3 administrations the last one which nearly KO'd us so I think being a little impatient is a bit harsh to say for us fans we just want what's best and if there is any inkling of an issue to threaten the club I would like to know.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:36 pm

Darlogramps wrote:

Like what?

Making stuff up? They were rumours that were heard by not just me but a number of people. It's not like people are trying to cause trouble, they want to know if there are any issues and if not then what we need to do as fans

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:43 pm

notgnilrad wrote: To be fair I don't think fans were impatient, its just we were told we expected to be in after the New Year hence why there were hybrid tickets at the start of the season.
No work had been done at BM and there was no communication (yes I know its volunteers) so one rumour could start very quickly and spread and to be honest, I was a bit worried nothing had been said but all it has took was just one statement which has now happened and everything is rosy in the garden now.

Being a Darlo fan things never happen smoothly, I remember in 1982 when we had to find £50,000 to survive and from then on there has been 3 administrations the last one which nearly KO'd us so I think being a little impatient is a bit harsh to say for us fans we just want what's best and if there is any inkling of an issue to threaten the club I would like to know.

You're justifying the hysteria we saw in that thread by blaming the club for a lack of communication.

The individual fans who spread these rumours are to blame for the embarrassing farce that ensued.

A lot of it is down to perception. Some people see a crisis where there isn't. Causing a panic isn't helpful to the club.

And you can't use the past to justify hysteria.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:48 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Like what?

Making stuff up? They were rumours that were heard by not just me but a number of people. It's not like people are trying to cause trouble, they want to know if there are any issues and if not then what we need to do as fans
But they did cause trouble. We've had a lot of hysteria and not one scrap of solid evidence to base it on. Just hearsay and rumours.

Just read through that entire thread. It's embarrassing the way some are going on.

I'm not saying I know everything is hunky dory and it's all going to be fine. But if there are questions to be asked, it's not difficult to find out where to ask them.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:16 pm

Let's be honest communication can always be improved, that's not just talking about the move back to Darlo but many aspects of the club.

That's not saying what the Board do now is bad because the AGM's, Fans Forums and actual ability to talk to the board at games are excellent. However I do think this could be better, if that means look for a Director of Communicaton or something else that gives the volunteer board more support then so be it.

The above is not in reference to one issue but in general, an example I would actually like to read the thoughts of the board in the programme, not the biggest thing but something I would like to read. We don't get lots of information in the Northern Echo about the club, probably becuase not that many people are interested these days.

From a personal point of view all I can say is that rather than whinge on here I personally did check to see if the board were aware of the rumour and then left it with them in regards to responding.

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:32 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
notgnilrad wrote: To be fair I don't think fans were impatient, its just we were told we expected to be in after the New Year hence why there were hybrid tickets at the start of the season.

You're justifying the hysteria we saw in that thread by blaming the club for a lack of communication.

The individual fans who spread these rumours are to blame for the embarrassing farce that ensued.

A lot of it is down to perception. Some people see a crisis where there isn't. Causing a panic isn't helpful to the club.

I wasn't justifying it I said it was a bit harsh, what would you rather have no fans not worrying because if that did happen then we would be well and truly knacked.
And I can and will use the past as we have been kept in the dark in 1982 and other times when in trouble and it escalated to the problems getting worse especially when we nearly went out of existence in 1982.
If I can't ask questions on a Darlington FC forum about Darlington FC items then we might as well close the bloody thing.
There is a hunt mentality on this forum that if you don't say ultra positives thing about the club you get hunted down and ask you to F-off
Not very nice community fans forum is it more of a dictatorship forum.
Last edited by notgnilrad on Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:33 pm

Gramps, surely you can see why this worrying has kicked off.

I disagree with you on a number of things. So here we go.
Darlogramps wrote:Let's be in no doubt, this is not down to a lack of communication - it's because some "fans" are impatient.
Impatient? There has been silence about this matter for quite a while and people are talking about it - at matches and on here. Here being our forum - which is after all a place where Darlo can fans communicate, in fact it's what this place is for - it's kind of like a tradition.

And why fans in inverted commas? Are the people who were getting concerned not deemed to be fans?
Darlogramps wrote:Why should the board have to start releasing info because a few impatient fans are getting jumpy and making stuff up?
Well they did release info, so it can't have been that hard to do, and I would say it's more than a few fans who were concerned.
Darlogramps wrote:We have a board of volunteers at the club, and yet people are demanding they work as professionals. The fact we've had it bad in the past doesn't give fans the right to start being twitchy and then using the past as a justification.
The past is important, it's what we all learn from. After the events of recent years people are bound to be, as you put it, twitchy. Remember "In Raj we trust"? and all that bollocks - and while I'm quoting quotes try this one, "In this bright future/You can't forget your past" Bob Marley!

Incidentally, I do appreciate the work of the volunteers, and I would agree that some of the criticisms on the Worried thread were O.T.T although that's another matter.
Darlogramps wrote: There's nothing in that article which wouldn't have become available in due course (i.e. at an AGM/when the time was right to release a statement).
Don't really get why you've put this. Hasn't this issue come about because "due course" has dragged? How long is "due course" anyway? That could mean anything.
Last edited by theoriginalfatcat on Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:38 pm

notgnilrad wrote:If I can't ask questions on a Darlington FC forum about Darlington FC items then we might as well close the bloody thing.

Nicely put :clap:
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:04 am

D_F_C wrote:I think it was because that so many people had heard the same rumour.

That being said, a statement (by the rugby club not DFC) to say planning application is to go in, does not tell me that we can necessarily afford it.

I'm not saying that we definitely can't or can afford it, I'm just not sure either way
But that is the nature of rumour spreading. One person makes something up and tells 3 people. Each of those tells 3 people and so on. Further down the line you will hear this rumour from all directions but it is the same rumour at the end of the day that started from a single source.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:21 am

The thing that got me on the thread was a seeming assumption that unless the board said otherwise the rumour was true. Demanding that there be an answer to what was just hearsay.

As for a Comms wasn't hard to do. All the actual comms did in the end was dispell the rumour and say that talks were continuing...if there hadn't been a rumour to hang that comms on the only comms would have been "talks are continuing" which was the default position anyway!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:16 am

All the people who disagree with me, ask yourself this - is the hysteria, rumour spreading and misinformation seen in that thread (which is quoted in the media) justifiable?

I'm not asking if people's concerns were justifiable. Was the level of hysteria justified?

I'd be interested to hear anyone try and defend the madness in that thread.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:25 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Let's be honest communication can always be improved, that's not just talking about the move back to Darlo but many aspects of the club.

That's not saying what the Board do now is bad because the AGM's, Fans Forums and actual ability to talk to the board at games are excellent. However I do think this could be better, if that means look for a Director of Communicaton or something else that gives the volunteer board more support then so be it.

The above is not in reference to one issue but in general, an example I would actually like to read the thoughts of the board in the programme, not the biggest thing but something I would like to read. We don't get lots of information in the Northern Echo about the club, probably becuase not that many people are interested these days.

From a personal point of view all I can say is that rather than whinge on here I personally did check to see if the board were aware of the rumour and then left it with them in regards to responding.
As per normal super_les is the voice of reason (& I fully agree on the notes in the programme).

I was happy with the CIC update last week, apart from the first paragraph, but it wouldn't have been necessary if communication was better. Don't blame fans for speculating & inaccurate rumours, that's a natural consequence stemming from lack of regular updates.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:39 am

100% RP agree

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:54 am

Bogratsteve wrote:100% RP agree

80% disagree!

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:55 am

"LATEST UPDATE"

Nothing to report.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:15 pm

Fibonacci0112358 wrote:"LATEST UPDATE"

Nothing to report.
65% funny :D
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:23 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fibonacci0112358 wrote:"LATEST UPDATE"

Nothing to report.
65% funny :D
99% to generous

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:39 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:That's not saying what the Board do now is bad because the AGM's, Fans Forums and actual ability to talk to the board at games are excellent. However I do think this could be better, if that means look for a Director of Communication or something else that gives the volunteer board more support then so be it.
Good idea. I think Dave Mills is the Community & Fans’ Liaison Manager (?) but I'm sure both he and the CIC board would love to hear from someone who has a few ideas about how to make their lives a bit easier.

I think there's still too much of an "us and them" feeling among most people, which needs to be broken down - some better way found to disseminate information and a better way for fans to ask questions in places where they know someone (or a group of people) is listening and escalate it to the board if they can't answer it themselves.

Possibly a "fans" portal with a big "ask a question" box on it would be a good idea? Somewhere to make it really simple for people see what questions have already been asked, ask something themselves (possibly even something like an IT support ticket system might be useful here), and also somewhere they can more easily see how the club is structured, and find out more about "the people upstairs", how they got there and - more importantly - how they as individual fans can get more involved in the helping the club.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:51 pm

[/b]
notgnilrad wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

I wasn't justifying it I said it was a bit harsh, what would you rather have no fans not worrying because if that did happen then we would be well and truly knacked.
And I can and will use the past as we have been kept in the dark in 1982 and other times when in trouble and it escalated to the problems getting worse especially when we nearly went out of existence in 1982.
If I can't ask questions on a Darlington FC forum about Darlington FC items then we might as well close the bloody thing.
There is a hunt mentality on this forum that if you don't say ultra positives thing about the club you get hunted down and ask you to F-off
Not very nice community fans forum is it more of a dictatorship forum.
Different when the clique try hunting you down though eh?
Fortunately some people are like Reynard the Fox, or Carlos the Jackal. :shh:
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!