Worried

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Worried

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:26 am

notgnilrad wrote:Ok maybe I worded it wrong, take a chill pill. I'll put it another way then cut our cloth accordingly so we have more money to save for getting back to BM and just get the youngsters to play.
I'm chilled but - but I disagree with you 100%. Just play "the youngsters" and watch the attendances fall to 250 a game with financial meltdown to follow.
notgnilrad wrote:Maybe we will find a gem in one of them and might get a nice fee, I don't think the attendances are going to get any worse really we are down to the hardcore anyway.
Maybe we will find a gem, however - see above.

notgnilrad wrote:Who knows we might surprise a few teams and get promoted anyway but hey ho I'd still enjoy the ride.
We'd never get promoted with "the youngsters" it's simply not possible, you still might enjoy it though, I can't argue with you there :thumbup:
notgnilrad wrote:Also I don't care what league Darlington is in, I have supported them for over 35 years now and will support them then any shitty Premier League team no matter what League we are in. If people are going to run off when the going gets tough then do we really need them anyway.
Well, the hardcore fan base we have now is based on people turning out to watch a proper team compete. Minimalize the team and watch a huge percentage of these fans lose interest. and yes, we DO really need everyone. I admire your sentiments but your idea (to me ) doesn't hold water.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:35 am

Add to that we're much better getting promoted, this season for example, and then scaling back a bit if we need to next season when we're one division higher to the end game. I've no doubt that if we can get out of this league, we won't need a huge amount of improvement to challenge at the next level. Improvement, yes, but nothing drastic.

Get out of this league, challenge in the next and hopefully go up again within another 2-3 seasons. Keep the momentum going in the right direction bit by bit rather than panicking every time something doesn't go exactly to plan.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Beano

Post by Beano » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:53 am

Spyman wrote:Add to that we're much better getting promoted, this season for example, and then scaling back a bit if we need to next season when we're one division higher to the end game. I've no doubt that if we can get out of this league, we won't need a huge amount of improvement to challenge at the next level. Improvement, yes, but nothing drastic.

Get out of this league, challenge in the next and hopefully go up again within another 2-3 seasons. Keep the momentum going in the right direction bit by bit rather than panicking every time something doesn't go exactly to plan.
Agreed.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:40 am

Our club has driver fatigue, but we keep telling the driver to stay awake and keep driving.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

TSQuaker

Post by TSQuaker » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:26 pm

We wanted a response - we've now got one.

As someone else pointed out, discussion closed.
Northern League Champions 2013

TDS

Post by TDS » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:22 pm

Bravo on getting a statement out, much more appropriate for answering many questions than each one individually.

Secondly, nobody worth listening to has ever or will ever criticise the volunteers who give their time when most cant/wont.

Let's not overreact in the other direction, the club have calmed some understandable nerves and we may have another volunteer helping Kev out, who does need support as what he does is an extremely important job for keeping exiles and attendees happy.

Let's act on the next official line and support the club 100% as the vibe (or lack of) works both ways.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:29 pm

I heard a completely unsubstantiated rumour that when we move to Blackwell Meadows they may not sell chips at the burger van.

I demand that the board make a statement to confirm or deny this.

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:08 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
notgnilrad wrote:Ok maybe I worded it wrong, take a chill pill. I'll put it another way then cut our cloth accordingly so we have more money to save for getting back to BM and just get the youngsters to play.
I'm chilled but - but I disagree with you 100%. Just play "the youngsters" and watch the attendances fall to 250 a game with financial meltdown to follow.
notgnilrad wrote:Maybe we will find a gem in one of them and might get a nice fee, I don't think the attendances are going to get any worse really we are down to the hardcore anyway.
Maybe we will find a gem, however - see above.

notgnilrad wrote:Who knows we might surprise a few teams and get promoted anyway but hey ho I'd still enjoy the ride.
We'd never get promoted with "the youngsters" it's simply not possible, you still might enjoy it though, I can't argue with you there :thumbup:
notgnilrad wrote:Also I don't care what league Darlington is in, I have supported them for over 35 years now and will support them then any shitty Premier League team no matter what League we are in. If people are going to run off when the going gets tough then do we really need them anyway.
Well, the hardcore fan base we have now is based on people turning out to watch a proper team compete. Minimalize the team and watch a huge percentage of these fans lose interest. and yes, we DO really need everyone. I admire your sentiments but your idea (to me ) doesn't hold water.

Cheers for the reply Original, its nice to have a reasoned debate with a genuine fan without the need for sarcastic replies.
Looking at your replies you are probably right and I will have to concede on this one, I hope we get promoted every year but i'm never go to stop supporting Darlo whatever league we are in and you sound like the same type of fan. :thumbup:
Last edited by notgnilrad on Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:34 pm

Usual window licking suspects on twisting again I see.

Have they volunteered their help?
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:19 pm

lo36789 wrote:I heard a completely unsubstantiated rumour that when we move to Blackwell Meadows they may not sell chips at the burger van.

I demand that the board make a statement to confirm or deny this.

Well I think we should cut our cloth and not sell chips and sell just potatoes and let the fans take them home and make them by themselves.
That would leave us with a bit more money to save for BM and also don't have a van just a cardboard box, it would still be enjoyable for me to make my own chips and I might enjoy them more.

If fans didn't like it then they aint worth it anyway and they would eventually leave anyway when we hit our level and are selling potatoes from a carrier bag. :wtf:

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:55 pm

notgnilrad wrote:I think if we are not moving to BM next season the best thing would be not to get promotion.
We would then need a bigger playing budget and less money to save to get back to BM also extra cost for the ground upgrade which would leave us with more overheads we cant afford on top of rental for the ground.
We are on a great run, top of the league and struggling to hit 1K it is not going to get any better playing out of town as the crowds are dwindling. I think we would be close to 700-1,000 crowds anyway whether we top or not. So the question is do we sacrifice promotion cut our playing budget right down and concentrate on playing the kids and save for BM or get promotion and continue to be nomads.
I must admit I have thought the same. I don't think we can let success on the pitch run too far ahead of our ability to service it off the pitch. We are down to the hard core so I'm not sure crowds will increase that much more whatever league we are in. Ok it is right that we move back to darlo but I still think this has to be doen cautiously. Scarborough, Wimbledon and Fc United all demonstrate that a managed exile is not the end of the world. When we crashed a few years ago, i'd have settled for anywhere for a few years.

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:40 pm

princes town wrote: I must admit I have thought the same. I don't think we can let success on the pitch run too far ahead of our ability to service it off the pitch. We are down to the hard core so I'm not sure crowds will increase that much more whatever league we are in. Ok it is right that we move back to darlo but I still think this has to be doen cautiously. Scarborough, Wimbledon and Fc United all demonstrate that a managed exile is not the end of the world. When we crashed a few years ago, i'd have settled for anywhere for a few years.
I couldn't disagree more.

If we stay at Bishop we would need a promotion challenge to retain the interest and crowd numbers, especially if we need funds to return to Darlo.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:01 pm

Beano wrote:I couldn't disagree more.

If we stay at Bishop we would need a promotion challenge to retain the interest and crowd numbers, especially if we need funds to return to Darlo.
Spot on Beano.

Moving back to Darlo is obviously mega important, but this time round, the football side of things mustn't be cut back.

This "hard core" fan base we have should more or less hold for now - but only if we continue to function as a team performing to move upwards as quick as possible.

If we cut back in footballing terms, then in my opinion a new much smaller " hard core " of fans will bed in. This would equal disaster!

Looking back to the Arena days, George Reynolds believed that the stadium alone would bring the fans flocking in. He thought that people would turn up to look at the stage alone - and bypassed team investment. We struggled while other similar teams of that time progressed.

It's a tall order but football success and all the other stuff must run hand in hand.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!