Lack lustre Salford

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

AIDO
Team Supported: Darlington

Lack lustre Salford

Post by AIDO » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:41 pm

... everyone might be thinking that Salford are concentrating on the league (including them no doubt) .... But I agree with Alan White ... they're certainly no Curzon Ashton. A strong team yesterday but clearly their momentum has certainly shifted (despite new reinforcements) and I predict a "shock" result or two in the league sooner rather than later. Interesting reading:

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/salfordci ... 45/2-19894

theoriginalfatcat

Re: Lack lustre Salford

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:41 pm

Salford aren't destined to win this league, there are numerous problems that might slow them down.

We need to keep on winning and give them something to worry about.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:34 pm

Played 11, Won 9, Drawn 2 Lost 0. Goals scored 24, against 5.
Lacklustre Salford. Fuck me.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

TSQuaker

Post by TSQuaker » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:29 pm

Salford may well come a cropper at some point in the season. At the moment though, they look pretty comfortable to me.
Northern League Champions 2013

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:15 pm

Ingleby wrote:Played 11, Won 9, Drawn 2 Lost 0. Goals scored 24, against 5.
LaIIts cklustre Salford. Fuck me.
If you read AIDO's post correctly and read up on their RECENT results you will see that he is correct. They have won 2, drawn 2 and lost 3 of their last 7 games..for a team that is everyone is expecting to walk this league. it is indeed lack lustre

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:41 pm

They were decent but not anything special when we played them.

We were without 3 strikers who got us 60 goals last year

Beano

Post by Beano » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:13 pm

They are riding high on a wave of optimism.

At some point they will have a difficult run in the league and it will be interesting to see how they cope in adversity.

It seems that there isn't much patience behind the scenes and most of their new found fans weren't there before the money arrived.
Last edited by Beano on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:36 pm

My opinion wrote:
Ingleby wrote:Played 11, Won 9, Drawn 2 Lost 0. Goals scored 24, against 5.
LaIIts cklustre Salford. Fuck me.
If you read AIDO's post correctly and read up on their RECENT results you will see that he is correct. They have won 2, drawn 2 and lost 3 of their last 7 games..for a team that is everyone is expecting to walk this league. it is indeed lack lustre
Haven't lost a league game though. Played 11 won 9. Doing ok to be fair.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

RUMPLESTILTSKIN

Post by RUMPLESTILTSKIN » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:32 am

They are also bringing in players, 3 just last week.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King

TSQuaker

Post by TSQuaker » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:32 pm

Beano wrote:They are riding high on a wave of optimism.

At some point they will have a difficult run in the league and it will be interesting to see how they cope in adversity.

It seems that there isn't much patience behind the scenes and most of their new found fans weren't there before the money arrived.
Usually the case when clubs suddenly become wealthy.
Northern League Champions 2013

TDS

Post by TDS » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:23 pm

As MG constantly says, it's about us and what we do. I'm happy we will hunt that top spot down in the hope Salford do have a wobble and the way the team is playing at the moment I have every faith.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:29 pm

Yep, lets focus on getting as close to 100 points as we can. If we do that, it will take an exceptional effort from Salford or anyone else to better it.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:06 pm

RUMPLESTILTSKIN wrote:They are also bringing in players, 3 just last week.
.... all of whom made their debut's in Salford's "lack lustre" performance against lowly Prescott Cables .... It really does make interesting reading .... 8-)

RUMPLESTILTSKIN

Post by RUMPLESTILTSKIN » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:45 am

AIDO wrote:
RUMPLESTILTSKIN wrote:They are also bringing in players, 3 just last week.
.... all of whom made their debut's in Salford's "lack lustre" performance against lowly Prescott Cables .... It really does make interesting reading .... 8-)

Did they? Now that is interesting. :think:
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King

TangerineDream
Team Supported: Salford City

Post by TangerineDream » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:48 pm

Greetings from Salford. As a regular reader of your forum I've obviously got an interest in this thread. I can honestly say that I genuinely wasn't one bit bothered about the FA Trophy home defeat to a Prescot Cables - a side that had previously won just one game in their last 12 league outings. I probably would have been last season though when we obviously didn't have a cat in hell's chance of doing anything in the league and when money was in far less supply than it is this season. The league is and remains our number one priority as far as I'm concerned.
We lost at home to Ashton United in the FA Cup - next game battered high flying Bamber Bridge 3-0 .... could have easily been 5 or 6. We then lost 2-1 to the bottom of North West Counties League Division Two side Oldham Boro' having made 9 changes from the previous game - next game we drew 1-1 at Farsley and then beat Brighouse Town 2-0 with no keeper for most of the 2nd half..... should have been 5 or 6 at half-time when the woodwork was hit 4 times together with 2 bad misses. We then lost at home to Prescot minus our regular keeper, with three debutants in the side and a couple of stronger players on the bench. Mossley at home this week will be interesting given their recent impressive form and we'll need to be at our very best given a number of recent injuries to key players.
Look at our fixtures played against yours. We've only played Ossett Albion out of the bottom 9 teams compared to your 7 games against the same. A very much overlooked fact when comparing our respective playing records.
I don't however think for one minute think we've got the league sewn up. We're obviously going to lose at some stage and to be honest we've rode our luck in a number of games where we haven't played particularly well. However, you won't find any bragging or crowing from Salford fans who have only been accustomed to years of mediocrity - apart from a promotion in 2007/08 - as we genuinely count ourselves to be very fortunate to be in the position that we are with the Class of '92 completely behind us for the forseeable future. Our defence has been outstanding though and obviously we have the flair players upfront to pull something out of the bag when it's necessary.
As regards all the supposed big money signings - of course we strengthened well with some quality buys, but bear in mind that we still have 6 members of last seasons squad turning out for us this season. If anything I'm somewhat critical that we haven't 'splashed out' even more cash in recruiting more 'big name' players as we really need to go up this season to keep the momentum going after 6 previous seasons in this league! But it's so far so good for us after over a quarter of the season played.
I'm sure there's going to be some twists and turns along the way but I genuinely hope that it's both our clubs that can make the step up to the Premier Division next season. With us as champions of course!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:15 pm

TangerineDream wrote:I'm sure there's going to be some twists and turns along the way
Watch out when Warrington Town turn up. Their behaviour is unusual :thumbdown:
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

TangerineDream
Team Supported: Salford City

Post by TangerineDream » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:51 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
TangerineDream wrote:I'm sure there's going to be some twists and turns along the way
Watch out when Warrington Town turn up. Their behaviour is unusual :thumbdown:
We played Warrington Town away the Tuesday night immediately after the Saturday they refused to play you and won 2-0. Equally enjoyable that night was when we took the pi*s out of Sean Reid and his side before and around the same time in the game that they decided to call it quits at your place! :lol:

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:11 am

I think your summary is very fair. Defence is very stern, and your front 4 are all good players. Hadn't heard of madeley but he was trouble all game against us

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:51 pm

TangerineDream wrote:If anything I'm somewhat critical that we haven't 'splashed out' even more cash in recruiting more 'big name' players .......
I like this guy .... a proper loyal supporter (he was on here last season). A fan of a tiny club that craves for a bigger pond and arguably may well get it. Reminiscent of our day in the supposed sun as a "money bags" club with an equally supposed sugar daddy benefactor. In the days when we were being accused (rightly so) of being vultures, and picking over the bones of a disintegrating (previously big spending) Hull City. I recall coming on here daily to find out who our latest "big name" signing from Hull might be. Fate then took both clubs, somewhat inevitably, their separate ways in a remarkably dramatic fashion .... :roll:

Be careful what you wish for my friend ... but hey ... good luck and enjoy it while you can. At least you're not "suffering" from having to put up with masses of glory supporters jumping on your bandwagon .... but there again ... you don't really need them ... do you!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:36 am

If Salford sign the Evostick equivalent of Clint Marcelle, Stuart Brightwell and Steve Harper I can't say I will be overly worried. In fact even if they signed 3 players of identical ability to those 3 I still would not be concerned.

Have I bitten? Was your post sarcasm?

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:14 pm

I don't think we were being vultures when siging those hull players. those players would've signed for other clubs regardless. we just happened to present the best offer to them and they signed for us. what was the alternative? possibly out of a job in weeks had they stayed at hull? and thus without income for a short period until a club signed them anyway.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:25 pm

lo36789 wrote:If Salford sign the Evostick equivalent of Clint Marcelle, Stuart Brightwell and Steve Harper I can't say I will be overly worried. In fact even if they signed 3 players of identical ability to those 3 I still would not be concerned.

Have I bitten? Was your post sarcasm?
David Brightwell, not Stuart.

And we missed out on Gary Brabin :x
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:29 pm

I would also add. I might just be remembering things really badly but at that point hadn't Reynolds already pretty much stopped spending on the team?

He was a sugar daddy so to speak, but he had already decided his legacy was going to be a big white stadium rather than a big shiny league title!

I probably don't remember things all that well but the Gary Bennett days were the worst years I remember, that was until Steve Staunton blew them out of the water completely!

I do remember that when we heard there were 3 signings from Hull that my Dad was hoping for Gary Brabin.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:10 pm

Yeh, Reynolds only spent on the team for one season, resulting in losing the playoff final.

After that, he got rid of Gabbas, Heaney, Duffield, Oliver, Tutill, Aspin, and from memory tried to cut the wages of Liddle and Heckingbottam.

We brought in some dodgy foreigners, a few flops tumbling down the leagues (Mark Angel, Stuart Elliott etc) and I think the Hull trio joined midway through the season with the flying postman, John Williams.

DC

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:25 pm

.... the sarcasm was fully intended but the bites were a bit unexpected. Hull spent big on no marks and disintegrated. We fell for it at the time and grabbed what someone thought were good players because of their star rating (at the time they had that ... even Clint ). We were actually called "vultures picking over the bones" in their forum at the time. I remember it like yesterday .... Salford need to guard against the same recruitment folly ... They are already vulnerable and guilty to paying over the odds for mediocrity .... there's been a huge amount of goings and comings and goings again since September, and unlike last year re Curzon and Ramsbottom .... I am "not concerned" just now by their signings, and it is a long season but the more wins we can accumulate (and stay top) the better the outcome in our favour will be.

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:31 pm

AIDO wrote:... everyone might be thinking that Salford are concentrating on the league (including them no doubt) .... But I agree with Alan White ... they're certainly no Curzon Ashton. A strong team yesterday but clearly their momentum has certainly shifted (despite new reinforcements) and I predict a "shock" result or two in the league sooner rather than later
....... (After their home defeat in the FA Trophy to Prescott on 18th Oct)

.... and while I'm at it ..... its nice to know that sometimes ... even I, am right .... ;)

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:42 pm

AIDO wrote:
AIDO wrote:... everyone might be thinking that Salford are concentrating on the league (including them no doubt) .... But I agree with Alan White ... they're certainly no Curzon Ashton. A strong team yesterday but clearly their momentum has certainly shifted (despite new reinforcements) and I predict a "shock" result or two in the league sooner rather than later
....... (After their home defeat in the FA Trophy to Prescott on 18th Oct)

.... and while I'm at it ..... its nice to know that sometimes ... even I, am right .... ;)
Good work AIDO - ***** 5 Stars.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!