Darlington v Ossett Albion

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

quakerste
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Ossett Albion

Post by quakerste » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:10 pm

Next midweek game at Hp should be at least double tonight's attendance on Bonfire night.

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:46 pm

http://simonhahn89.wordpress.com/2014/1 ... tt-albion/

Reports from the game

Didn't get into top gear at any point but still a valuable win against a team who seemed happy to frustrate from the word go

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:52 pm

Armstrong gone to hospital with concussion, head gash & missing tooth!! Hope all is OK, good job Dowson is back for Saturday

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:53 pm

Very happy to have six wins on the bounce, but frankly we needed them.

Any dropped points from the last six games, considering our mediocre start, would have been hugely disappointing.

But the wins have all come against sides lower down the table - we should be beating these sides.

The big test is whether we can beat the sides who'll be competing for promotion at the end of the season. Against Spennymoor away we did, but we took only one point from games v Droylsden, Farsley and Salford.

The game against Spennymoor in early November is going to be a key indicator of where we're at.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

micra3

Post by micra3 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:07 pm

quakerste wrote:Next midweek game at Hp should be at least double tonight's attendance on Bonfire night.
Could have a home game next week if we draw on Saturday.
M I C R A 3

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:15 pm

I agree that we didn't really get out of 3rd gear today. But in spite of that I thought this was our most complete performance of this season.

Hunter and White were absolute rocks at the back. White won everything in the air. Watson was brilliant especially in his link up play with Galbraith in the second half. Brown continues to improve at right back. I honestly would much prefer a normal right back in there, benefits of pace and distribution, but brown was steady.

I run out of words for how good Portas is for the division we're in, alongside him Scott was pretty much faultless too, strong in the tackle, broke play up well and moved the ball on quickly. Mitchell and Galbraith were a threat down either side. I do feel Mitchell would benefit from a better full back behind him who could threaten to over lap or release him early down the wing.

Purwal was his typical self, full of running, good touch and brought others into the game well. Armstrong wasn't on for too long. Do hope he is okay after the reports he was taken to hospital. Thompson just cant seem to find any form, hopefully it will just happen for him but it is getting more and more worrying.

In all, the width really helped us control the game. Our passing was better and we seemed to have more options on the ball. The only real negative from the game was the injuries, in and surrounding the game. Hope armstrong is okay, hopefully Dowson will be back and fit ready for the weekend to play himself into form. Also does anyone know where hatchy was? (not on the bench)

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:03 am

The best of the entertainment tonight for me, quite unfortunately was the stick from both dug outs towards tonights referee, Linsey Robinson. Martin Gray saying that "this game is too big for a woman" or something to that effect as well as "she should be vacuuming" coming from the away dugout. MG was giving her some grief for a decision she made earlier in the first half that he disagreed with.

This argument carried on even as they were leaving the pitch at half time. There was also shall we say, an exchange of pleasantaries, between Whitey and the away dug out in the second half I believe their assistant was unhappy that White had gone in for a header with his elbow raised, Whitey responding calling him a "daft c**t".

Although it was quite humorous at the time its the kind of behaviour you'd rather not see from both sets of management and players, she made some very questionable decisions, particularly what looked a blatant foul on one of their players late on in the second half which she let go, but in fairness she tried to let the game flow.

As for the game itself, quite a drab first half. Full credit to Ossett Albion who are clearly much improved since shipping 7 goals at HP last season they were very resolute and well organised and we were a little unfortunate to go in at half time 1-0 down, however they offered very little going forward and when Whitey got the second we were very much in control, again credit where its due they didn't capitulate and end up on the end of another rout.

White was good value for MOTM between him and Hunter there was almost a resemblance of that partership he and Fozzy had in the Dave Penney era, solid as a rock won everything in the air and on the ground Jamo had virtually nothing to do the entire game. A sixth win on the spin back on top going into the trophy weekend and building up a good bit of momentum going into that crucial run of games next month against some of the teams there or thereabouts.

Took a couple of knocks on the way tonight as well, hopefully Armstrong's injury isn't too serious and he is at least back before our next league game with Burscough.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:31 am

Thought it was a decent performance last night against fairly average opposition. Their keeper had a great game and kept the scoreline respectable.

divas

Post by divas » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:59 am

JE93 wrote:I agree that we didn't really get out of 3rd gear today. But in spite of that I thought this was our most complete performance of this season.

Hunter and White were absolute rocks at the back. White won everything in the air. Watson was brilliant especially in his link up play with Galbraith in the second half. Brown continues to improve at right back. I honestly would much prefer a normal right back in there, benefits of pace and distribution, but brown was steady.

I run out of words for how good Portas is for the division we're in, alongside him Scott was pretty much faultless too, strong in the tackle, broke play up well and moved the ball on quickly. Mitchell and Galbraith were a threat down either side. I do feel Mitchell would benefit from a better full back behind him who could threaten to over lap or release him early down the wing.

Purwal was his typical self, full of running, good touch and brought others into the game well. Armstrong wasn't on for too long. Do hope he is okay after the reports he was taken to hospital. Thompson just cant seem to find any form, hopefully it will just happen for him but it is getting more and more worrying.

In all, the width really helped us control the game. Our passing was better and we seemed to have more options on the ball. The only real negative from the game was the injuries, in and surrounding the game. Hope armstrong is okay, hopefully Dowson will be back and fit ready for the weekend to play himself into form. Also does anyone know where hatchy was? (not on the bench)
Brown instrumental in the first goal last night and part of a back 4 that yet again didn't concede. Okay we've played some very mediocre teams lately but although Brown isn't a fashionable RB he's got forward well, putting plenty of decent crosses in and even weighed in with a few goals. I'd argue that he's already scored and assisted more than most of our recent "proper" right backs. Now he has Mitchell in front of him he's looked much more solid and the position is no longer a concern for me.

Ideally we can bring someone in like Watson/Galbraith who can cover both RB and RW as after Brown & Mitchell there isn't much cover down that side. Cocks could prob do a job in an emergency but I'd feel better if we had someone more experienced but that would necessarily mean dropping Brown, we just need that extra body.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:46 am

Watching the highlights which give a better perspective than on the touch line sometimes showed how well we were passing the ball last night and the play.

I would echo divas point on Brown, he is really starting to look at ease in this role and I would not change him out of that position.

notable performances last night from Portas & Mitchell as normal but i thought Watson's attackign play and runs were outstanding, MG has brought in a real Gem there who is head and shoulders above our recent LB's - moving Galbraith forward seems to have worked also.

Overall a good performance and on another night it could have been 5 or 6.

As previously mentioned, with having Armstrong, Hatch, Dowson & Robinson injured it really has left us critically exposed on the bench going forward, hopefully Dowson is back Saturday and Armstrong will not be a long term injury, Hatch requires an operation I understand on a broken finger and Robinson will be out for a while following surgery.

I think the U18's can fill in but we have nothing on the bench that is a proven game changer if required or bolster the midfield etc time to see who is out there I think unless the budget is at the limit.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:57 am

JE93 wrote:I agree that we didn't really get out of 3rd gear today. But in spite of that I thought this was our most complete performance of this season.

I expect Thommo to come into form when Dowson retorns from his injury..The off the ball running that Dowson does creates a lot of space for Thommo. I'm sure that he will exploit the space and get back to doing what he does best.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:10 am

My opinion wrote:The off the ball running that Dowson does creates a lot of space for Thommo. I'm sure that he will exploit the space and get back to doing what he does best
posting photos of his new boots on twitter?

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:51 pm

Pretty comfortable victory. We didn't really get going, but we didn't really need to. The defence is looking pretty solid, and Brown is improving at RB. Watson and Galbraith look like they could make a very good partnership down the left. And Portas once again ran the show. Superb player. He's far too good for this level.

Hopefully Armstrong isn't out for too long. Looking forward to Dowson getting back too.

Mission Impossible

Post by Mission Impossible » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:17 pm

How's Armstrong?

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:46 pm

thommo,did alot of off the ball work last night ,he's coming back to his best he does not have to score to make him influential ,11 players in a team each need to be a team player, which he is ,stop slagging him off on message board

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:05 pm

Mission Impossible wrote:How's Armstrong?
Lost a tooth and concussion shouldn't be out long, thank god we are thin on numbers

Sat ont shitter

RUMPLESTILTSKIN

Post by RUMPLESTILTSKIN » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:36 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Mission Impossible wrote:How's Armstrong?
Lost a tooth and concussion shouldn't be out long, thank god we are thin on numbers

Sat ont shitter

Suspect your grammar is somewhat awry.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King