Darlington v Padiham

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

darlo reborn
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Padiham

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:46 pm

On another day if we had got the second one could easily have been 5 saying that they defended well how thommo missed that one in first half looked easier to score

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:46 pm

A good 3 points, but i left the ground frustrated we could not get the second, i think we are 2 players short of been a very good side.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:51 pm

poppyfield wrote:A good 3 points, but i left the ground frustrated we could not get the second, i think we are 2 players short of been a very good side.
Yes, Galbraith and Dowson.

:thumbup:

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:52 pm

A wins a win but we laboured today, plenty of chances but poor finishing. In need of a right back Brown was awful today and was deservedly substituted.

We've got to play through the midfield and out wide more when we attack and stop these long balls from the back.

TDS

Post by TDS » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:57 pm

We had to do better upfront today and that's all that was wrong with our performance.

Kept the ball VERY well, yes against 10 men but Portas ran the show. Long ball is EFFECTIVE and won us a penalty and created numerous other chances, we are becoming a team that can mix it up and get it wide when necessary, and pump it high and win the second ball too. A good sign.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:02 pm

Just an observation ,not a criticism as such but..........taking the 2 "freak results" (even the most die hard fans would agree everything went in our favour in those two games?) out of the equation we have only scored 12 goals in the other 9 games including todays opponents. Hopefully Martin can work on this, but how you coach strikers to be more ruthless I don't know!

windyforce4

Post by windyforce4 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:11 pm

One thing that puzzles me is the right back position. Hunter played right back for Shildon before he joined us. Brown is a liability in that position and i wonder why MG has not played Hunter there and Brown in with White.I know he played there a few times when he first joined. Hunter has the positional sense and good speed. Even if it is until we sign one then i would like to see him play there again to solve the issues we have at present.

divas

Post by divas » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:15 pm

Hunter has been woeful at RB for us when he's played there, he looks like a different player at CB.

I'm sure with the departures there's scope to bring someone in, I guess it's just finding someone who fits the bill

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:19 pm

An OK performance. We created enough chances to win comfortably, but a combination of uncharacteristically poor finishing from Armstrong, and some good saves meant it was kept to 1-0. Once Thompson went off, we had nobody to really stretch the defence - a front two of Armstrong and Hatch is never going to make particularly incisive runs in behind. That, and a combination of them sitting deep meant that we had to resort to getting the ball into the box.

We still have Galbraith and Dowson to come back. Hopefully with Fisher's wages we can get a RB in. Brown is doing an OK job, but he isn't a natural RB.

Having said all that, it's another 3 points. On to the next game.

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:21 pm

http://simonhahn89.wordpress.com/2014/1 ... e-penalty/

Report from today, could have been a lot more.

Thought we actually played very well and if the finishing had been better could have 5/6 at least.

Never tested at the back

Thought the officials were shocking even though the big decisions went in our favour

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:33 pm

Second half we were poor, zero movement upfront, 4 playing in a straight line and none showing or coming short.

Felt like it was going to be a Farsley Mk2 - clean sheet and 3 more points, a shame we couldn't build on the passing and movement we had on Wednesday.

Thompson was a massive miss when he went off, with Amar moving out wide and Hatch (who I thought was poor) the ball was sticking like it was for the first half an hour.

With Fisher and Reed now departed hopefully Gray can draft in a right back and maybe another midfielder.

Padiham manager was a joy to watch second half, a very angry short ass! Definitely has a bit of SMS

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:39 pm

Padiham were rubbish, worst side to come to Darlo since the northern league season.
Last edited by Robbie Painter on Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:42 pm

The performance wasn't crap. If Armstrong had had his shooting boots on, we would have won 3 or 4 nil.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:51 pm

The goals wouldn't have hidden a very poor performance.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:51 pm

divas wrote:Hunter has been woeful at RB for us when he's played there, he looks like a different player at CB.

I'm sure with the departures there's scope to bring someone in, I guess it's just finding someone who fits the bill
Hunter when playing right back was being backed up by Moore, which may have been the reason he struggled. I guess we would have to see him play that position now, although I do tend to agree and if we can get a mobile RB (similar to Watson) then I think (as most would) it would be a good move.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:53 pm

You do wonder what games people watch.

We had many, many chances today. We would all be concerned if we looked toothless, but it should have been 3-0 at half-time with Mitchell, Thompson and Armstrong all guilty of missing good chances. Then in the second half there were efforts from Armstrong (x2), Hatch and Purewal which should have been put away.

We have improved recently and have started to pass it around a lot more. Playing with wingers has helped massively, as has the return of Purewal who gives us a completely new dimension up top.

I do think we need a new right-back however. I don't think Hunter should be totally written off as a solution to this when judging from the 4/5 games he played there at the start of last season. He was given little or no protection from Moore playing in front of him, it was almost like we were playing 4 up top at times.
Last edited by Darlofan97 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:55 pm

Frustrating second half, we missed some sitters, MG was not happy with Brown/Scott/White at all.

MOM was well deserved for Portas, thought Ian had a good second game also.

Galbraith in LM/CM for Scott has to be the way forward.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:56 pm

quakerste wrote:The goals wouldn't have hidden a very poor performance.
The performance wasn't 'very poor'. We created a ton of chances and Padiham had very little to feed off.

They literally had every man behind the ball most of the time, very hard to break down at any level of football.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:58 pm

quakerste wrote:The goals wouldn't have hidden a very poor performance.
I'm not saying we played that well - it was pretty average. But we should have scored more, we kept the ball pretty well towards the end of the game, and we did this without 3 of our better ball players in Thompson, Dowson and Galbraith. We're playing exactly the same was we always have under Gray, but without people like Thompson and Dowson getting onto the second balls/getting behind the defence, it looks pretty poor. But 3 points is 3 points. We can, and will, play better.

Galbraith instead of Scott I think will be a good move. Let Galbraith sit deep, he has quality on the ball, and should free up Portas to burst forward more. Add a proper RB, and we will look a very good team. But we will still get the ball forwards early, and work with the second balls, as that is how Gray likes to play. And it's very effective with the right people.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:09 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:The performance was crap. Padiham were rubbish, worst side to come to Darlo since the northern league season.

We should be using these games against poor teams to improve and develop our team play instead we just lump it long and when we play top 6 sides we unsurprisingly find this style of play ineffective.

Also since Fisher, Reed and Hopson have left and with Dowson injured we are missing creative attacking players beyond Thompson and Mitchell.

We haven't progressed as a team in the last 10 months. Extremely frustrating.
Whilst there is some truth in what you say, it does seem you have an overly negative outlook on pretty much most things we do now Robbie.

In regards to Fisher I don't think he would have worked whatever style we played.

Today we lost our flow when Thompson went off, Purewal pushed wide and Hatch came on. The only man committing the opposition regularly was Portas who drove us forward, the rest went side wards, backwards then eventually forwards where the 8 man defence got the ball off us due to poor play/passing.

I did come home a little dissappointed and frustrated but we got the win, should have scored more and the players know they can play much better.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:12 pm

windyforce4 wrote:One thing that puzzles me is the right back position. Hunter played right back for Shildon before he joined us. Brown is a liability in that position and i wonder why MG has not played Hunter there and Brown in with White.I know he played there a few times when he first joined. Hunter has the positional sense and good speed. Even if it is until we sign one then i would like to see him play there again to solve the issues we have at present.
If you take Hunter away from centre back and put in Brown you will lose pace where we need it. On several occasions already this season his pace and reading of the game has prevented goal scoring opportunities for the opposition. Sick hin to right back and you weaken the defence.

My opinion of course

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:24 pm

My opinion wrote:
windyforce4 wrote:One thing that puzzles me is the right back position. Hunter played right back for Shildon before he joined us. Brown is a liability in that position and i wonder why MG has not played Hunter there and Brown in with White.I know he played there a few times when he first joined. Hunter has the positional sense and good speed. Even if it is until we sign one then i would like to see him play there again to solve the issues we have at present.
If you take Hunter away from centre back and put in Brown you will lose pace where we need it. On several occasions already this season his pace and reading of the game has prevented goal scoring opportunities for the opposition. Sick hin to right back and you weaken the defence.

My opinion of course
That is a very good point as we do seem to play a high defensive line.

Darlo will

Post by Darlo will » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:32 pm

White and hunter are, for me, the ONLY two players who can bank on starting every game! Their partnership is outstanding, white clearing almost every aerial ball and hunter using his pace to clear up any attacks on the ground. I think every other position is open to some form of improvement/rotation.

Browny is a hero and an amazing skipper but if his performances at RB don't improve soon questions must be asked. I'm sorry to say this but hey
We score when we want
we score when we want
we are darlo
we score when we want

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:45 pm

[img]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10 ... ff04b9.jpg[/img]

When did we become Darlington 1885
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:07 pm

Bogratsteve wrote:Frustrating second half, we missed some sitters, MG was not happy with Brown/Scott/White at all.

MOM was well deserved for Portas, thought Ian had a good second game also.

Galbraith in LM/CM for Scott has to be the way forward.
I'm glad you said that I was I little worried as I choose him, my reason been was if we did not have him in midfield we would not of won the game as he just does the simple things right so comfortable on the ball, I think it's been a long time coming...

Sat ont shitter

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:14 pm

Darlo will wrote:White and hunter are, for me, the ONLY two players who can bank on starting every game! Their partnership is outstanding, white clearing almost every aerial ball and hunter using his pace to clear up any attacks on the ground. I think every other position is open to some form of improvement/rotation.

Browny is a hero and an amazing skipper but if his performances at RB don't improve soon questions must be asked. I'm sorry to say this but hey
I certainly think that RB is an issue that needs sorting. You would hope that there is something to work with after the departures of Reed, Fisher and Noble.

Chris Bell is a very decent full-back who isn't getting in the team up at Blyth at the moment. Played some good games at Bishop Auckland a couple of seasons ago. Might be a decent shout.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:49 pm

I don't think we are going to sign a right back because it pushes Brown from the side. He doesn't get in at CB ahead of Hunter and White, I fear if we get a RB he will end up being put in at CM!

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:51 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Robbie Painter wrote:The performance was crap. Padiham were rubbish, worst side to come to Darlo since the northern league season.

We should be using these games against poor teams to improve and develop our team play instead we just lump it long and when we play top 6 sides we unsurprisingly find this style of play ineffective.

Also since Fisher, Reed and Hopson have left and with Dowson injured we are missing creative attacking players beyond Thompson and Mitchell.

We haven't progressed as a team in the last 10 months. Extremely frustrating.
Whilst there is some truth in what you say, it does seem you have an overly negative outlook on pretty much most things we do now Robbie.

In regards to Fisher I don't think he would have worked whatever style we played.

Today we lost our flow when Thompson went off, Purewal pushed wide and Hatch came on. The only man committing the opposition regularly was Portas who drove us forward, the rest went side wards, backwards then eventually forwards where the 8 man defence got the ball off us due to poor play/passing.

I did come home a little dissappointed and frustrated but we got the win, should have scored more and the players know they can play much better.
Robbie is only happy when he's unhappy these days. He's made his mind up and ain't for changing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:40 pm

MG's post match interview was interesting, clear he was not a happy bunny at today's performance.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:55 pm

Bogratsteve wrote:MG's post match interview was interesting, clear he was not a happy bunny at today's performance.
I think that was an understatement.. Scotty were well off it today as were browny.

Sat ont shitter