How come

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

chairmanmalc
Team Supported: Darlington

How come

Post by chairmanmalc » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:23 pm

Northwich Victoria 4th in the table with an attendance today of 78 and most of the other teams above us have attendances under 200 are out performing us when we have over 1,000?

Beano

Re: How come

Post by Beano » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:32 pm

Jim Gannon

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:43 pm

Don't think he is manager there anymore. That bloke who was suspended for 3months when Gannon took over is back, that said I think he got sent from the dugout the other week.

divas

Post by divas » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:54 pm

Beano wrote:Jim Gannon
Yup, can't underestimate what he brings to the team

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:03 am

They have "sponsors" too.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:12 am

crowd numbers are only part of the success equation. If it was all about crowds Spennymoor wouldn't be successful.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:14 am

Quakerz wrote:They have "sponsors" too.
Whom fund Jim Gannon's wages.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:13 pm

chairmanmalc wrote:Northwich Victoria 4th in the table with an attendance today of 78 and most of the other teams above us have attendances under 200 are out performing us when we have over 1,000?
It's as much about the players on the pitch as it is the crowd on the terraces.

When you have a manager who can get that extra 20/30% out of a group of players like Gannon can the comparison between attendances is pretty much irrelevant.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:56 pm

chairmanmalc wrote:Northwich Victoria 4th in the table with an attendance today of 78 and most of the other teams above us have attendances under 200 are out performing us when we have over 1,000?
How come Swansea and Leicester are out performing Man Utd? Burton and Bury out performing Portsmouth? Do you actually know anything about football?

chairmanmalc

Post by chairmanmalc » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:46 pm

Apologies, HarryCharltonsCat for not replying sooner only I thought I would take your advice and try to improve my knowledge of the game so that hopefully one day I may just be able to hold my own against such a learned expert as yourself
So…. I have started reading Brian Clough’s Autobiography (I mean who better to learn from)

I must thank you for sharing your knowledge of the beautiful game and It would never have crossed my mind to make a comparison between the Premier League and The Evo-Stick First Division North, how silly of me it’s so obvious!

I look forward to the wisdom of your knowledge in future posts, it may be some time though before I return to Uncovered as I do need time to improve my understanding of the game.

Thanks

Darl-Zero

Post by Darl-Zero » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:39 pm

What happens when Furgies Fledglings all get coaching jobs at other clubs? Is this not a conflict of interest?

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:40 am

Giggs already has a job at another club.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:53 am

chairmanmalc wrote:Apologies, HarryCharltonsCat for not replying sooner only I thought I would take your advice and try to improve my knowledge of the game so that hopefully one day I may just be able to hold my own against such a learned expert as yourself
So…. I have started reading Brian Clough’s Autobiography (I mean who better to learn from)

I must thank you for sharing your knowledge of the beautiful game and It would never have crossed my mind to make a comparison between the Premier League and The Evo-Stick First Division North, how silly of me it’s so obvious!

I look forward to the wisdom of your knowledge in future posts, it may be some time though before I return to Uncovered as I do need time to improve my understanding of the game.

Thanks
Ignore the Premier League - look one division up at FCUM! Doesn't take an Einstein to realise crowd size is not the deciding factor in how well a team will perform in relation to another. Maybe the weight of expectation of our massive crowds is proving a burden?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:05 am

Obviously the point being made, and the general rule, is that crowd size dictates budget. However, there are other factors to take into account such as 'sponsors' and 'investors' pumping extra money into the budgets of some teams, hile other teams budgets are reduced by paying off historical debt.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

love it!
Team Supported: Darlington 1883

Post by love it! » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:02 am

I'm not sure how accurate this is but a friend not specifically linked with the club was informed that the historic debts have all been cleared now

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:16 am

Well we can't be too far off with the payments we've received for Stockdale/Burn over the last 6 months. I'd imagine the installments would be quite small now if money has been diverted that way.

But substitute 'historic debt' with 'developing a new ground', and it negates any financial clout our attendances might give us over the competition.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:38 am

At our level, I think geographical location plays a big part too.