Players In/Players Out

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

AIDO
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Players In/Players Out

Post by AIDO » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:12 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:I think one of the main problems with Harrison was that he couldn't make mid-week matches, not even the big ones such as Curzon last season.
Harrison was a classic flying RB .... He was consistently impressive ..... especially when he came back for his second stint. He supported our forwards with pace and skill and was rarely left wanting. Like you say, his issue was travel and midweek matches which is such a pity ..... If only ...... :roll:

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:59 pm

I'm quite happy with Brown at right back, but it must be said that we do lack pace at full back and that has caused us problems, particularly on the left.

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:05 pm

AIDO wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:I think one of the main problems with Harrison was that he couldn't make mid-week matches, not even the big ones such as Curzon last season.
Harrison was a classic flying RB .... He was consistently impressive ..... especially when he came back for his second stint. He supported our forwards with pace and skill and was rarely left wanting. Like you say, his issue was travel and midweek matches which is such a pity ..... If only ...... :roll:
Having Harrison available for 75% of our matches would be a massive improvement on the current situation
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:07 pm

Allan Quatermain wrote:
AIDO wrote:
Having Harrison available for 75% of our matches would be a massive improvement on the current situation
Agreed - would help with ball retention massively!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:09 pm

I don't mind Brown at right-back, however we may require a bit more pace there, especially if we still play without wingers. Brown is a decent right-back but an even better and very dominant centre half at this level.

We're probably a RB (like Harrison) and a centre midfielder (like Gott) away from having a very, very good team. This doesn't mean to say our current squad isn't good enough as I honestly believe we have improved on last season and our ridiculously hard start plus injuries have overshadowed that.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:21 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:I don't mind Brown at right-back, however we may require a bit more pace there, especially if we still play without wingers. Brown is a decent right-back but an even better and very dominant centre half at this level.

We're probably a RB (like Harrison) and a centre midfielder (like Gott) away from having a very, very good team. This doesn't mean to say our current squad isn't good enough as I honestly believe we have improved on last season and our ridiculously hard start plus injuries have overshadowed that.
Out of interest, IF we signed a right back, who out of Hunter, White and Brown would you suggest make way, should all be fit?

Very, very tough but out of the three, White has been immense and Brown's leadership skills are invaluable. It wouldn't be an easy decision, but for me, it would be Hunter, with him taking over when/if White ever retired.

Thank goodness that's only a hypothetical question - not a call I would like to make.

I'd also consider swapping Galbraith and Scott. Scott played LB in our Northern League season and did well. He had easy opposition then granted, but Galbraith is a good ball-player and, for me, would work well alongside Mitchell and Portas.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:29 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:I don't mind Brown at right-back, however we may require a bit more pace there, especially if we still play without wingers. Brown is a decent right-back but an even better and very dominant centre half at this level.

Out of interest, IF we signed a right back, who out of Hunter, White and Brown would you suggest make way, should all be fit?
This is why I'm not the manager. ;)

Honestly, I can't answer your question. We have however seen how easy it is to pick up injuries to our centre halfs recently. I've also heard Brown may require another operation on his ankle. White getting himself suspended is inevitable and he isn't getting any younger!

We will see what happens over the next week or so with the players Gray brings in and lets go.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:33 pm

Darlogramps wrote:I'd also consider swapping Galbraith and Scott. Scott played LB in our Northern League season and did well. He had easy opposition then granted, but Galbraith is a good ball-player and, for me, would work well alongside Mitchell and Portas.
I'm pleased that this has been mentioned.

I think this move would improve our distribution from the centre without hindering us in defence. Scott is just as good as Galbraith defensively. I thought Scott dealt with Webber well first half and he was great second half.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:47 pm

Nothing wrong with having 3 CB's figthing it out for two places in the eleven. Thought White was outstanding on Saturday and rolled back his years, however the clock and body is against him.

Putting Scott at leftback and Galbraith in the centre is not a bad shout either, I don't see any negatives of either player swapping position.

Safe to say, getting a couple of wins in a row and Dowson, Amar & Thompson back in the squad will make things look a lot brighter.

Darlo.For.Life

Post by Darlo.For.Life » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:03 pm

I think people were a bit uneasy when Scott and Galbraith were swapped last time as Scott provided the midfield with a bit of strength, however we now have Portas who's a strong player and also Galbraith seems to have added a bit of strength to his game too.

His goal against Spennymoor in the NL is a fine example of what he's capable of.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:01 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Darlo.For.Life wrote:I wonder if Billingham Synth's Theo Furness is available? I know we made an enquiry for him last season.
Didn't he play for us last year in one of the cups and didn't stand out, however one game is not a fair time to judge.

To get the best they generally cost money as normally contracted.
Don't know about that, it's long enough for a few of our fans.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:19 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

This is why I'm not the manager. ;)

Honestly, I can't answer your question. We have however seen how easy it is to pick up injuries to our centre halfs recently. I've also heard Brown may require another operation on his ankle. White getting himself suspended is inevitable and he isn't getting any younger!

We will see what happens over the next week or so with the players Gray brings in and lets go.
How about 3-5-2 and play all three?

Beano

Post by Beano » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:48 am

HarryCharltonsCat wrote: How about 3-5-2 and play all three?
We have the personnel to make this work...

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:53 am

Looks like we are going after Whitby players again from comments made by their manager on Facebook. Reading between the lines.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

TDS

Post by TDS » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:55 am

I don't remember Harrison being better when he came back at all? I remember thinking he wasn't as reliable as first time around.

We need a RB as Brown is getting found out a bit for pace, he often ends up putting the guy into the stands and picking a yellow up. He can cross but that's not a reason to play him there, his weaknesses are overriding for me.

We need a centre-mid also who can pass a ball at least a couple of feet, Robinson was completely missing against Salford and constantly gave the ball away over simple passes. Okay it's not his game but that doesn't really cut it for me. We can't carry players just because they can tackle now and again. Somebody energetic and fast, who can get under the second ball and drop it to Portas.

Finally if we do sign a midfielder, let's not bypass them by punting it up to Armstrong, get it down, get it wide and get crosses in for Armstrong simply because it's worked before.

TDS

Post by TDS » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:57 am

Ingleby wrote:Looks like we are going after Whitby players again from comments made by their manager on Facebook. Reading between the lines.
He hasn't made any comments on his profile? What's he said!

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:04 pm

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:07 pm

Well I know Moffat is a player we are after. Hatch and Fisher were offered as a swop and neither are happy that they haven't had a crack in the 1st XI - West aren't keen on either

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:17 pm

Moffat is not an improvement on either of them from what I have seen. I would be hugely underwhelmed if a striker is our next signing.

I think new players is knee jerk. We have a good enough squad. They need some time to play together. I would rather we had an extra training session (Mondays?) each week than buy new players.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:23 pm

Moffat is injured at the moment so can't see him been an immediate replacement

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:25 pm

Can't see us being after another striker (I thought that 2 strikers ago) However if we got rid of Fisher and Noble and brought in Moffatt I'd be happy with that. Can't see it though.

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:26 pm

lo36789 wrote:Moffat is not an improvement on either of them from what I have seen. I would be hugely underwhelmed if a striker is our next signing.

I think new players is knee jerk. We have a good enough squad. They need some time to play together. I would rather we had an extra training session (Mondays?) each week than buy new players.
I think this makes more sense than simply getting rid just because a player or players are taking a little time to gel. It could be the same if we were to bring in additional manpower. Maybe it's our tactics that need tweaking rather than our squad?
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

TDS

Post by TDS » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:42 pm

How long do you wait? It's like the recent "stop judging players after one game" argument. What about 5 games? 10 games? When does a player become blatantly not good enough instead of "not performed yet, let's wait and see".

You could try plenty of tactics, all against differing teams and ability, and go round and round in circles. We need a proven first 11, not Hatch at CB or Brown at RB, or relying on an apparently unfit Reed and Noble to perform.

Very interesting that Darren Williams can't seem to cope with a bigger fish in the area. If Sunderland came in and snatched players I don't suspect it would be a problem, it is simply jealousy. Personally over the moon we are replacing squad members and last season this kicked off a brilliant run for the club.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:46 pm

There are some players who haven't delivered when they've been given a chance and, in all honesty, one or two don't exactly look like they're busting a gut in the way that a player like Portas is. I don't think it is now about gelling or getting fit and clearly MG has come round to that way of thinking. If he has made a mistake or two with players then it's better that he acts on it rather than just hoping it will all come good eventually. Yes we lost on Saturday in part because we were missing key players but it was also very clear that at least three of those on the pitch just didn't do nearly enough. You won't win matches, especially against the better teams, if several players fail to make an impact.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:08 pm

Ingleby wrote:Can't see us being after another striker (I thought that 2 strikers ago) However if we got rid of Fisher and Noble and brought in Moffatt I'd be happy with that. Can't see it though.
e4sby - Is spot on from my understanding. Although not sure if this is still the case.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:14 pm

TDS wrote:How long do you wait? It's like the recent "stop judging players after one game" argument. What about 5 games? 10 games? When does a player become blatantly not good enough instead of "not performed yet, let's wait and see".
Depends what the management see in training, if these lads look great in training but then not quite doing it on a match day but you see the odd sign then no doubt you would give them time.

Of course you shouldn't judge players after one game, I remember Evra & Vidic being took apart by Man City (I think) on debut and sure one got subbed at halftime. I think it's been proven that they came back and showed why they should be in the team but they were not brillinat the week after, it took time.

Obviously that is professional football and at a different level but the principle is still the same. Also Gray doesn't have the squad to take players out and give them time to settle in, he also does not have the budget to go and get ready made quality players as most are in contract.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:19 pm

I suppose until we reach a level of full time there will be a certain amount of good luck judgement when bringing in players, only so much scouting/reputation/recommendations will give you an idea of the potential quality of these guys, pre-season is ideal to get a load in for trial but during the season its a real gamble at times.

Obviously having a reserve team would help massively in assessing a guy without the need to sub him into a match, I thought we were meant to be putting a reserve team together or is that when we go to BM

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:56 pm

By the way. This talk of budget. I don't think we are in any way paupers in this division. I reckon we have the 3rd biggest budget. It might not be as big as it could be because of rent and debt that others don't have, but we are not paying £20/£30 per week like clubs from 5th spot downwards.

If we can't afford to buy ready made talent what on earth were all or signings - because we havn't developed a single one of them!?
Last edited by lo36789 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:57 pm

I'm more worried about how many hamstring injuries we are getting, I don't think having a training session on Sunday morning b4 the cup tie would help, warming up during the session then cooling down then warming up again b4 the game...maybe wrong but surely has something to do with it[FACE WITH MEDICAL MASK][SEE-NO-EVIL MONKEY]

Sat ont shitter

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:12 pm

lo36789 wrote:By the way. This talk of budget. I don't think we are in any way paupers in this division. I reckon we have the 3rd biggest budget. It might not be as big as it could be because of rent and debt that others don't have, but we are not paying £20/£30 per week like clubs from 5th spot downwards.

If we can't afford to buy ready made talent what on earth were all or signings - because we havn't developed a single one of them!?
It's not what we are willing to pay players, other than Spenny on the doorstep who can pay higher if they want the same player, it's more the players that would dramatically improve our team are tied to contracts. The only way you can get them out of contracts are by paying a fee which we can't really afford, especially as we are Darlo with average 1k crowds so therefore the fee is higher for us than anyone else.

Clubs from 5th spot downwards do not have the pressue of 1k expectant fans, they would see getting in the playoffs as an excellent season.

To understand the situation in regards to picking up the best talent to improve the squad just load up the NL registrations site and check how many are on contracts, not 100% sure but probably unprecedented for Step 5 level of football. After that we can try and sign from Blyth, Whitby and Spennymoor and it seems a lot of these lads are contracted also.

Agree our budget is good compared to others but it's not easy to sign the right players.