Is Gray unsackable???

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

notgnilrad
Team Supported: Darlington

Is Gray unsackable???

Post by notgnilrad » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:31 pm

I mean who decides if the manager is not getting the right results??, can we sack him? or do we just trundle along and hope for the best.

OHDFC

Re: Is Gray unsackable???

Post by OHDFC » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:38 pm

Fuck Off

therifles

Post by therifles » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:41 pm

OHDFC wrote:Fuck Off
My thoughts exactly, what a plumb.

quakerlady

Post by quakerlady » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:43 pm

Crazy response to losing in a replay to a team in the league above. Several of our key players injured on Sunday and more tonight too.
Who would you suggest as a matter of interest?

Darlo Till I Die

Post by Darlo Till I Die » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:43 pm

OHDFC wrote:Fuck Off
To be honest we have played awful so far this season. I am NOT suggesting we sack Gray before people start jumping to conclusion. But come on this long ball tactic is going too far! It's simply not good enough to get out of this league. Maybe a re-think is needed on the that front?
Our Football Clubs Are For Life Not Just For Business

darlodave1974

Post by darlodave1974 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:46 pm

Slight over reaction

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:48 pm

Is it?

divas

Post by divas » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:52 pm

It's been very Jekyll and Hyde so far this season, either great or poor. You'd swear it wasn't the same set of players from one half to the next.

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:54 pm

Just a question guys??, I haven't said sack him just asking the question. I'm just curious as if this bad run continues who decides enough is enough. Bloody hell thought this was a forum no need to get all defensive we have been pretty awful this year and last year in big games we just don't seem to perform, I hope we go on a 20 match unbeaten run and everything is hunky dory but I remember when this forum years ago people talked about things.

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:58 pm

notgnilrad wrote:Just a question guys??, I haven't said sack him just asking the question. I'm just curious as if this bad run continues who decides enough is enough. Bloody hell thought this was a forum no need to get all defensive we have been pretty awful this year and last year in big games we just don't seem to perform, I hope we go on a 20 match unbeaten run and everything is hunky dory but I remember when this forum years ago people talked about things.

Still a stupid question. You should know very well who does the hiring and firing.

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:03 pm

Who??? That's why I'm asking, do we have a chairman as I honestly don't know the name of him honest. I'm not saying sack him just saying with the youth setup and that has he become unsackable if this current form continues and who decides that?? I like MG a lot but how long do we carry on if this poor form continues that's all.
If you think that is a stupid question fair enough but it is a forum and as a fan I thought I would be entitled to ask if not really knowing the answer.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:08 pm

The board of directors with probably Martin Jesper delivering the message, next question.

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:13 pm

Thank you Super Les. I take it the unsackable bit is not an question anyone wants to answer so fair enough, i'll leave it alone.
I hope we do well this season and people can then slag me off till their hearts content at the end of the season but I wont be bothered then as I will be to busy celebrating.

Jeff Jones

Post by Jeff Jones » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:14 pm

Oh dear.
Backward Darlo please...engage brain

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:20 pm

notgnilrad wrote:Thank you Super Les. I take it the unsackable bit is not an question anyone wants to answer so fair enough, i'll leave it alone.
I hope we do well this season and people can then slag me off till their hearts content at the end of the season but I wont be bothered then as I will be to busy celebrating.
To be honest I did think everyone knew the answer to it.

They are plenty of reasons at the moment why this won't even be on the thought of the board.

Let's see how we go over the next few weeks, we are severely weakened by injuries and don't have a 22 man squad or the budget for it.

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:20 pm

Jeff just worried about where the club is heading that's all just want what is best for Darlington FC. I 'm just thinking if it all goes wrong this year what will happen that's all if that's wrong I apologise to MG and the fans.

shawry

Post by shawry » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:21 pm

I think the question stems from the fact that the youth and the coaches all seem to be part of the academy, so if we did end up having to sack MG, then do we automatically lose the youth, and our coaches?

From that point of view, it probably means that MG will get more time to turn things around if things were going pear shaped.

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:25 pm

Thanks for that Shawry. Sounds a reasonable answer and lets hope we don't have to then.

shawry

Post by shawry » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:27 pm

notgnilrad wrote:Thanks for that Shawry. Sounds a reasonable answer and lets hope we don't have to then.
To be fair, Id hope that MG is professional enough that if we felt we had to sack him that he would allow the rest to stay as is, but Id rather we don't get into a position where we need to find out :)

Dean M

Post by Dean M » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:29 pm

Perhaps the question could have been 'Could Gray be heading for the sack?' No manager is unsackable.

My own view is that if we lose to Salford this Saturday then automatic promotion has probably gone already. I can't see Salford then losing a few games whilst we don't lose any.

I think Gray will survive regardless of the Salford result (I accept the point about injuries to key players), but he'll need to chalk up a few wins quickly or the dreaded vote of confidence may be closer than he thinks.

To start turning things around maybe he could try and sell Thommo. I think he'll struggle to get much for him though!

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:30 pm

Sorry for such a forward question didn't mean any harm guys. :silent:

shawry

Post by shawry » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:31 pm

Dean M wrote:Perhaps the question could have been 'Could Gray be heading for the sack?' No manager is unsackable.

My own view is that if we lose to Salford this Saturday then automatic promotion has probably gone already. I can't see Salford then losing a few games whilst we don't lose any.

I think Gray will survive regardless of the Salford result (I accept the point about injuries to key players), but he'll need to chalk up a few wins quickly or the dreaded vote of confidence may be closer than he thinks.

To start turning things around maybe he could try and sell Thommo. I think he'll struggle to get much for him though!
I think at this level, then managers can last much longer, and almost be unsackable, as they often provide much more to the club than just being manager.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:32 pm

shawry wrote:I think the question stems from the fact that the youth and the coaches all seem to be part of the academy, so if we did end up having to sack MG, then do we automatically lose the youth, and our coaches?

From that point of view, it probably means that MG will get more time to turn things around if things were going pear shaped.

I did think that might be what the original point was getting at but didn't understand why he didn't just write that.

In theory MG is heavily involved in everything at the club and would be a major change in many things if he left. Not impossible but would be a massive change.

Probably best to see how things go.

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:35 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
shawry wrote:I think the question stems from the fact that the youth and the coaches all seem to be part of the academy, so if we did end up having to sack MG, then do we automatically lose the youth, and our coaches?

I did think that might be what the original point was getting at but didn't understand why he didn't just write that.

In theory MG is heavily involved in everything at the club and would be a major change in many things if he left. Not impossible but would be a massive change.

Probably best to see how things go.
That's what I did mean but looking back at the question it does sound like I wanted him sacked, but the granddaughter was talking to me at the time so might be best writing on here when no kids are talking.

DarloDean

Post by DarloDean » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:52 pm

He's no where near even the thought of anyone sacking him. But he does need to wake up a bit and realise this hoof ball tactic (the one we all hate the most) is not working.

Beano

Post by Beano » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:58 pm

The notion of sacking Gray is ridiculous, but I agree with the frustration of the 'hoofball' tactics.

Comparative to the division, we have better footballers and we are not playing to our own strengths by going long and direct at every opportunity.

Most will accept that we will not win every game, but would be a lot more forgiving without the 'hoofball'.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:19 pm

I can't believe this is even a thread....

Darlo Fonz

Post by Darlo Fonz » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:57 pm

Why is everyone having a go for the lad asking a genuine question? I don't want Gray to go. But if it comes to that, who on earth decides?

I don't have a clue who decides!
Darlo Fonz
DARLINGTON FC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:01 pm

Darlo Fonz wrote:Why is everyone having a go for the lad asking a genuine question? I don't want Gray to go. But if it comes to that, who on earth decides?

I don't have a clue who decides!
Matin Jesper and the board are custodians of the club on behalf of the owners. Seriously is it that hard to grasp.

The board hired Gray, the board gave him a 5 year contract, the board can fire him if needs be.

It takes all of 3seconds to go on the club website. Click on the who we are section to establish who is on the board. Anyone suggesting they don't know who it, well frankly I am shocked they are still alive because concentrating on breathing and typing at the same time must have been a real nightmare.

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:07 pm

Even bringing up the topic of sacking is ridiculous at this stage, Gray's record so far is 2 seasons, a 1st place and a 2nd place. There's no instance in which he can be sacked this season, let alone this early this season after that. However, I wouldn't mind a few reasonable questions being put to him in a respectful way. The lack of depth in the squad, inconsistency with performance within the same games, and tendency to play hoof ball for long spells (whether or not Hatch is on the pitch) is a little concerning. Letting a team get away from us at the start of last season ultimately cost us. Ideally we could do with keeping a leash on Salford if possible.