Darlo v Blyth Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

dickdarlington
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Blyth Match Thread

Post by dickdarlington » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:58 am

Ok. Having seen the highlights I will accept that it was a well taken penalty. Great save.

However, I stand by the rest.

In reference to Jameson, I speak as a former keeper. Albeit an amateur one. I watch them with interest and analyse their performances more than any other position. He didn't have much to do at all directly, but there is a lot more to the position that catching the ball and throwing yourself about. He is the comms for the defence. Belly is exceptional at it. When he's played, the defence are a solid unit, and very rarely is there a need for a desperate challenge. At the start of the season Jameson was talking the whole time, and judging (for the most part) when the right time to come out for the ball was. The back four look a bit more shakey although still solid, and he was very quiet yesterday, and didn't come for anything. Something he got a rollocking for from Tez and Hunter. I just feel we need to wrap him in some cotton wool, give him a rest and let him calm down. Goalkeeping is all about confidence. more than any other position. Now some people will say dropping him is not going to help his confidence. But I'm advocating resting him. We've got a season to get him tip top and rearing to go as the solo number one next season. And that season he will be learning from one of the best keepers at this level.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:01 pm

The most disappointing thing for me that has come out of the opening month or so of the season is the reemrgence of the cringeworthy nicknames such as Tezza, Jamo, Thommo, Bellsosio and Scottersy.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Quaker0006

Post by Quaker0006 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:25 pm

dickdarlington wrote:Ok. Having seen the highlights I will accept that it was a well taken penalty. Great save.

However, I stand by the rest.

In reference to Jameson, I speak as a former keeper. Albeit an amateur one. I watch them with interest and analyse their performances more than any other position. He didn't have much to do at all directly, but there is a lot more to the position that catching the ball and throwing yourself about. He is the comms for the defence. Belly is exceptional at it. When he's played, the defence are a solid unit, and very rarely is there a need for a desperate challenge. At the start of the season Jameson was talking the whole time, and judging (for the most part) when the right time to come out for the ball was. The back four look a bit more shakey although still solid, and he was very quiet yesterday, and didn't come for anything. Something he got a rollocking for from Tez and Hunter. I just feel we need to wrap him in some cotton wool, give him a rest and let him calm down. Goalkeeping is all about confidence. more than any other position. Now some people will say dropping him is not going to help his confidence. But I'm advocating resting him. We've got a season to get him tip top and rearing to go as the solo number one next season. And that season he will be learning from one of the best keepers at this level.
Couldn't agree more and something ive talked to people about recently. Its an important point aswell. Jameson is an athletic guy with attributes to go up through the leagues with us (should that happen!). But having spent the last couple of seasons stood behind Bell, his communication is first class, constantly talking to the defenders tell them how much time they have, what shoulder the attacker is on, what to do with the ball etc. The value of that is something I would love to see Jameson add to his game.

quakerlady

Post by quakerlady » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:26 pm

Sounds like we are having the same luck as Saturday. Offside goal, hit the post, hit the bar. We sound like we are having the best of the play but they are coming back into it in the last few minutes, dangerous on the break

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:35 pm

No luck at all, playing well in attack but we are letting them get down the right to easily

quakerlady

Post by quakerlady » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:04 pm

2 - 0 to Blyth

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:11 pm

Listening to radio Northumberland and they are saying we have resorted to the long ball which they are dealing with comfortably.

DarloDean

Post by DarloDean » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:21 pm

quakerste wrote:Listening to radio Northumberland and they are saying we have resorted to the long ball which they are dealing with comfortably.
So Grass is green then? :/

ffs

quakerlady

Post by quakerlady » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:25 pm

3 - 0 now. Thompson and Galbraith look injured too. Thompson has gone off

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:25 pm

Another shocking second half by the sounds of it.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:26 pm

Definitely paying for not bringing in a couple of midfielders and a recognised right back.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:30 pm

Sounds like the amount of football recently has taken its toll. We've got to start taking our chances when we're on top. Fair few injuries for a tough game on Saturday and out of the cup. Great.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:42 pm

Nothing to do with the amount of football taking its toll. More to do with tactics and lack of strengthening in certain areas. Midfielders needed and that was obvious from the back end of the season and we bring in a glut of strikers and release none.

Portals and Armstrong excellent signings we release Hopson and bring in Reed who is yet to offer anything.

Manager takes the rap for this I'm afraid.

Darlo Till I Die

Post by Darlo Till I Die » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:48 pm

Dear MG,

The long ball tactic you've been trying to play does NOT work at this level.

From
The majority of fans.
Our Football Clubs Are For Life Not Just For Business

divas

Post by divas » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:52 pm

quakerste wrote:Nothing to do with the amount of football taking its toll. More to do with tactics and lack of strengthening in certain areas. Midfielders needed and that was obvious from the back end of the season and we bring in a glut of strikers and release none.

Portals and Armstrong excellent signings we release Hopson and bring in Reed who is yet to offer anything.

Explain the injuries.

TDS

Post by TDS » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:54 pm

More injuries and a complete waste of time. This is what I was referring to earlier, these sort of ties are not money spinners and not beneficial as people have said we were always going to lose to the league above (whether true or not, the point stands).

Maybe the money isn't there to strengthen? I agree one too many strikers but that doesn't bring in 3 midfielders and a RB I'm afraid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shawry

Post by shawry » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:01 pm

TDS wrote:More injuries and a complete waste of time. This is what I was referring to earlier, these sort of ties are not money spinners and not beneficial as people have said we were always going to lose to the league above (whether true or not, the point stands).

Maybe the money isn't there to strengthen? I agree one too many strikers but that doesn't bring in 3 midfielders and a RB I'm afraid.

How can the point stand whether its true or not?

The prize money at this level is well worth winning, and we should be capable of springing surprises on the division above, our 1st leg, and the 2 games against Buxton last year show this to be true. That means that for 3 games, we could have earned nearly £10k in prize money.

Darlo Fonz

Post by Darlo Fonz » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:11 pm

First half we should have won comfortably.

Second half was dire. Absolutely dire. Long ball after long ball and defensively shocking.

Players...

Jameson - kept us in the game with some top quality saves.
Robinson - not a right back and not good enough i'm afraid, can be used as a back-up centre half.
Brown - Dodgy, launched ball forward.
Hatch - Got skinned alive for their second, just launched the ball forward.
Galbraith - seems to have lost pace, bottles challenges.
Mitchell - Played very well as per
Portas - outstanding, MOM by a million miles
Cocks - Did well first half, got very tired towards first half and into the 2nd.
Thompson - A few decent runs in the first half and held the ball up reasonably well. Second half he was a different player, lost his way.
Armstrong - Help it up well and battled all game, unlucky.
Noble - First half again was ok. Caused problems for defenders when full of energy but when struggling in the 2nd half, just kept getting pushed off the ball like a school kid.

Sorry if that sounds very negative folks - but the second half tonight was very poor indeed.

Something needs to be done.

DTID
Darlo Fonz
DARLINGTON FC

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:27 pm

Darlo Fonz wrote:First half we should have won comfortably.

Second half was dire. Absolutely dire. Long ball after long ball and defensively shocking.

Players...

Jameson - kept us in the game with some top quality saves.
Robinson - not a right back and not good enough i'm afraid, can be used as a back-up centre half.
Brown - Dodgy, launched ball forward.
Hatch - Got skinned alive for their second, just launched the ball forward.
Galbraith - seems to have lost pace, bottles challenges.
Mitchell - Played very well as per
Portas - outstanding, MOM by a million miles
Cocks - Did well first half, got very tired towards first half and into the 2nd.
Thompson - A few decent runs in the first half and held the ball up reasonably well. Second half he was a different player, lost his way.
Armstrong - Help it up well and battled all game, unlucky.
Noble - First half again was ok. Caused problems for defenders when full of energy but when struggling in the 2nd half, just kept getting pushed off the ball like a school kid.

Sorry if that sounds very negative folks - but the second half tonight was very poor indeed.

Something needs to be done.

DTID
Pretty much agree with that with the exception of Armstrong, thought he was very poor even though he rattled the crossbar, lost too many 50/50 balls and his ball control was poor. Far too easily knocked off the ball for such a big guy and has little pace.Never thought I would say it but prefer Dowson or Purewal over Armstrong at the moment, or possibly Hatchy with either of these 2.

TDS

Post by TDS » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:23 pm

shawry wrote:
TDS wrote:More injuries and a complete waste of time. This is what I was referring to earlier, these sort of ties are not money spinners and not beneficial as people have said we were always going to lose to the league above (whether true or not, the point stands).

How can the point stand whether its true or not?

The prize money at this level is well worth winning, and we should be capable of springing surprises on the division above, our 1st leg, and the 2 games against Buxton last year show this to be true. That means that for 3 games, we could have earned nearly £10k in prize money.
Because whether people "think" we should beat these teams or not is irrelevant to whether they are beneficial to us at all in the long run.

We need to realise we don't have the budget to compete, with a really weak bench and yes whilst money is what the club needs, AT SOME POINT it becomes counter productive.

Suppose now we've lost it's "concentrate on the league" and if we lose on Saturday it's "too many injuries".

Curzon are pissing the league above us, we need to get out.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:48 am

Armstrong was average last night, however the lad marking him, no5 Buddle had 2 excellent games. One other thing especially first half Armstrong was working very hard, often doing chasing down that Thompson and Noble should have been doing.

When Armstrong had Amar and Dowson alongside him he looks much better. I would have Armstrong in my team every week but do think he needs some support up there.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:13 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Armstrong was average last night, however the lad marking him, no5 Buddle had 2 excellent games. One other thing especially first half Armstrong was working very hard, often doing chasing down that Thompson and Noble should have been doing.

When Armstrong had Amar and Dowson alongside him he looks much better. I would have Armstrong in my team every week but do think he needs some support up there.
Armstrong put in a real shift last night but, particularly in the second half, got very little support.

Last night, and too often this season, the midfield is too far away to support our forwards. This is usually because the ball has been booted 80 yards upfield and understandbly our midfield are about 40/50 yards behind.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:50 am

divas wrote:
quakerste wrote:Nothing to do with the amount of football taking its toll. More to do with tactics and lack of strengthening in certain areas. Midfielders needed and that was obvious from the back end of the season and we bring in a glut of strikers and release none.

Explain the injuries.
It was patently obvious last night that Divas is right. A lot of these injuries seem to be muscular/sprain injuries rather than caused by an over-zealous opposition. We tired badly. Some players need a rest and that is why a manager's job is so difficult.

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:55 am

I know money is tight but apart from CM, the other area that everyone knew we needed to improve was at right back. For whatever reason we were unable to do so and we have ended up playing Brown/Robinson out there with mixed success

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:02 am

From what I've read, Brown is improving at right-back and is probably the answer there for the forseeable future.

Portas, Scott and Mitchell as a three, with Robinson and Reed as cover should be sufficient, shouldn't it?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

princes town

Post by princes town » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:09 am

Sidarlo wrote:I know money is tight but apart from CM, the other area that everyone knew we needed to improve was at right back. For whatever reason we were unable to do so and we have ended up playing Brown/Robinson out there with mixed success
I am very skeptical about the use of centre halfs in wide positions. Full back requires a completely different skills set, in my opinion. The physical requirements are also different and the view of the game is different. I'm struggling to think of many high class players who have made this transition from centre half to full back and improved. I remember Man united trying this with Phil Jones - didn't work. Most of the best full backs I have seen are generally small and athletic

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:14 am

Gary Brown has done ok at RB so far this season but isn't a patch on Harrison who has never been properly replaced since he left the first time around. His lack of pace can be badly exposed in the fullback position. Rather than playing at RB he would be my first choice CB.

MG is failing to get the best out of the players he has. Injuries affected us last night but are no excuse for previous displays. We have a better squad & team than last season but aren't producing consistently good performances.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:08 am

Robbie Painter wrote:
MG is failing to get the best out of the players he has. Injuries affected us last night but are no excuse for previous displays. We have a better squad & team than last season but aren't producing consistently good performances.
That's the crux. None of this squad is too thin rubbish. Quite simply players are under performing on what they did at their peak last season. Ok injuries to Purewal / Dowson at the same time haven't helped but we still should have enough to negate them - even shuffling the pack and playing 2 up front

princes town

Post by princes town » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:22 am

We are thin in certain positions and overblow in other positions. It is a question of squad balance rather than numbers. Too many strikers and centre halves but limited options out wide and in midfield.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:13 pm

princes town wrote:We are thin in certain positions and overblow in other positions. It is a question of squad balance rather than numbers. Too many strikers and centre halves but limited options out wide and in midfield.
So we have an unbalanced squad rather than a thin squad - that's entirely different.

Limited options out wide (really?!) - Dowson, Purewal, Mitchell, Thompson, Noble, Fisher