Darlington v West Auckland

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Sidarlo
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v West Auckland

Post by Sidarlo » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:55 pm

http://simonhahn89.wordpress.com/2014/0 ... in-fa-cup/

Quick write up from tonight

Thought by full tme we were well deserving of the victory, struggled to get going in the first half, but thankfully the second half was much better

Bring on Blyth

DarloDean

Post by DarloDean » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:58 pm

Just happened to find this on my journey's home.

Funny that.

http://i.gyazo.com/5eeba2c09d81b253564e50575800f517.png

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:46 pm

njb wrote:
CrazyDarlo wrote:their player apparently kicked the ball boy did anyone see it?
Their number 10 tried to put Brownie into the hoardings with a tackle and ended up sliding through and clattering the ball boy. Totally unnecessary challenge as the ball was going out already.
It wasn't really like that. Having looked at the footage their number 10 is standing in front of the ball boy. The ball has gone out and he is blocking Brownie from getting a hold of it and making the throw in. White gives his the merest of little nudges to get the ball and their number 10 falls over, into the ball boy, like he's been shot. Properly embarrassing.

moodymonica

Post by moodymonica » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:22 pm

M62exile
One of their dickhead subs that kept the ball,as you say was Warren Byrne, was talking to him after we scored the second and he said browny came into the dugout studs up trying to 'get the ball'
Wazza then was seen demonstrating said actions to the ref.

Thought west deserved their lead but over the 90 minutes we deservedly won the game.
Mitchell or whitey motm for me, dowson put in his usual shift, glad to see him get more than his usual 60 or so mins.
Can't believe there lad missed the chance (looked open goal) second half to make it 2 0
But from that point on we never looked back.
Thought Scott was poor again tonight and tommo but maybe shouldn't pick holes when We've dodged a tough tie for us.
Let's hope we get at Blyth as west did with us.
There number seven in the first half seemed to be all over the place.
Thought they bought there penalty.
Roll on the next round with a healthy crowd

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:34 am

just seen the Scarborough result! finished 4-4 with north shields after extra time, both teams had 2 men apiece sent out and they were 6 penalties.

Now that is a cup tie

AnthonyP

Post by AnthonyP » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:18 pm

One thing that hasn't been commented on so far was Graham Armstrong's high challenge on their keeper before he scored his goal (not sure if it was before we had equalised, or not ?!). He was a lucky boy not to get a red card with his studs high and he looked (to me) to have deliverately slid in on the keepers upper shoulder.

The story could have been quite different ....

I though we fully deserved the win over 90 minutes, but sometimes you need that little bit of luck to get yourself back into the game.

swadquaker

Post by swadquaker » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:33 pm

Just seen the highlights. Never seen West play before, but everything thats been said is true. West must spend all of their training time on perfecting their techniques on diving, time wasting, arguing with the ref, and general thuggery.

shawry

Post by shawry » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:46 pm

Thought the 12 year old assistant with the perm wasn't strong enough, and wasn't helped by the ref who even seemed to try to play a non existent advantage which led to a succession of wilder tackles.

With regards to Browny going into their dugout, as I mentioned earlier, Id have sent him off if I was the ref, however, I think your asking for trouble by keeping hold of the ball, Id have sent their player off for coming onto the pitch to remonstrate - because they only did it when the ref came over after browny had the ball thrown at him after he had the second ball.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:54 pm

Thought Thompson had a far better game last night, he looks back to his former self.

shawry

Post by shawry » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:59 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Thought Thompson had a far better game last night, he looks back to his former self.
I wasnt overly impressed, though his work rate appeared much better, and I actually thought his best moment was the cross he put in right before he was subbed.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:01 pm

AnthonyP wrote:One thing that hasn't been commented on so far was Graham Armstrong's high challenge on their keeper before he scored his goal (not sure if it was before we had equalised, or not ?!). He was a lucky boy not to get a red card with his studs high and he looked (to me) to have deliverately slid in on the keepers upper shoulder.

I though we fully deserved the win over 90 minutes, but sometimes you need that little bit of luck to get yourself back into the game.
Armstrong was guilty of quite a naughty challenge on the Kendal goalkeeper as well, the on which resulted in the bloody nose. I personally thought it was quite a deliberate elbow. Suppose some players need a nasty streak in them.

shawry

Post by shawry » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:08 pm

lo36789 wrote:
AnthonyP wrote:One thing that hasn't been commented on so far was Graham Armstrong's high challenge on their keeper before he scored his goal (not sure if it was before we had equalised, or not ?!). He was a lucky boy not to get a red card with his studs high and he looked (to me) to have deliverately slid in on the keepers upper shoulder.

Armstrong was guilty of quite a naughty challenge on the Kendal goalkeeper as well, the on which resulted in the bloody nose. I personally thought it was quite a deliberate elbow. Suppose some players need a nasty streak in them.
Im sure I remember one of their defenders in the first half jumping in with a raised foot almost at head height as well, as I remember a conversation with a few round me about the disallowed boro goal.

TDS

Post by TDS » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:12 pm

Can I just say we had numerous chances at 0-0 to score and they had very little. People saying we never got going aren't really being fair. Yet again we had chance after chance and we poorly capitalised on it.

Armstrongs challenge was right infront of me and it was naughty as it gets. No chance of getting the ball, proper studs up. Dangerous. Then the whole
Of the tinshed chanted cheat at the poor keeper who had actually just been stamped on.

Glad we are through though! Can I just add Portas is the player we have always missed, a keep the ball at all costs kind of guy. Never wastes it, never shoots. Brilliant. And Leon have him the space to do that, as you saw when Robinson came on and didn't play the role well at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:24 pm

we still didn't really create that good chances though in the first half, not really any better then west had.

Mitchell had a chance in the box not long before the penalty, but apart from that and Dowson's early shot from outside the box all we had was a few shots from 20/30 yards which went close.

We didnt really ever open them up in the first 45

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:38 pm

Very happy to have notched up wins against the best two teams we faced in the Northern League

Anyone confident about Blyth?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:47 pm

Hummm we need to play better than those highlights show. By the way that was an absolute horror tackle by Armstrong - he doesn't even jump in the direction of the ball he just goes straight into the keeper.

I can't believe that was given as a penalty btw. Galbraith may have slightly grazed him but he went down shoulders first and his left leg flew up in the air. There was nowhere near enough contact for a foul.

Not sure about the claims of West being that dirty there were a couple of big challenges but nothing untoward really. I love where we took the free kick from after Close's foul it's a good 10-15 yards away from the tackle!

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:53 pm

StevieMardenboro wrote:Anyone confident about Blyth?
If we play the way we did in the second half, keep the ball on the floor and we'll win.

No hoof-ball!

Depends which Darlo decide to show up.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:00 pm

Yeah as it's at home I reckon we will just manage it, need a full house and noisy crowd tho

BlackandwhiteBOB

Post by BlackandwhiteBOB » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:12 pm

lo36789 wrote:Hummm we need to play better than those highlights show. By the way that was an absolute horror tackle by Armstrong - he doesn't even jump in the direction of the ball he just goes straight into the keeper.

I can't believe that was given as a penalty btw. Galbraith may have slightly grazed him but he went down shoulders first and his left leg flew up in the air. There was nowhere near enough contact for a foul.

Not sure about the claims of West being that dirty there were a couple of big challenges but nothing untoward really. I love where we took the free kick from after Close's foul it's a good 10-15 yards away from the tackle!
Stonewall penalty for me. Tez took the bait....and he knew it

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:14 pm

Crowd played a big part I thought. It was quiet until the second half. When the crowd got going I thought it helped massively.

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:27 pm

Crowd were definitely the 12th man last night, when the lads needed a lift the fans did just that

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:22 am

swadquaker wrote:Just seen the highlights. Never seen West play before, but everything thats been said is true. West must spend all of their training time on perfecting their techniques on diving, time wasting, arguing with the ref, and general thuggery.
Sir Alex is out of work now, has he been helping out with their coaching. :roll:

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:19 am

I for one thought the ref actually did a very good job on Wednesday night. It was a horrible game with both teams at each other. And it only boiled over a couple of times. For the most part, the ref let the game flow and let the players get over their little tiffs.

After looking at the highlights, it was definitely a penalty. No need to Klinsmann it though.

I don't think that the Armstrong challenge was that bad. The keeper was about to get up until their centre half waded in. And he clearly wasn't hurt. The ball was there to be won. The keeper won the race. Free kick. Nothing else.

Moving on to Blyth. I went to see them the other week at Matlock, and either they weren't at the races, or they're not all that. Long ball football, quite tall, not a lot of pace it seemed. Moore and Robinson didn't play, though Robbo was on the bench. Comparing the two, West created more chances and were more mobile. If we can get the ball on the floor, I fancy our chances. Of course, they may have just not played well that day. Matlock weren't very good either.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:31 am

Completely disagree. Remember a player has to do the following either carelessly, recklessly or using excessive force.

"Kicks or attempts to kick an opponent", well no he doesn't their legs come in to contact but he hardly kicked him. "Trips or attempts to trip an opponent", again this didn't happen. It is pretty blooming obvious the player is only unbalanced by his own actions.

Contact is not a foul, this viewpoint seems to have erupted from tv pundits. You couldn't even call that contact a careless kick. It was a leg to leg.

As for Armstrongs. I will try and pull up a still tonight, when I watched it last night I managed to freeze frame at a point where the ball was already beyond Armstrong before he made a move, and when I froze on after he had made a move the ball was in the opposite direction to where he jumped.

AnthonyP

Post by AnthonyP » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:15 pm

lo36789 wrote:Completely disagree. Remember a player has to do the following either carelessly, recklessly or using excessive force.

"Kicks or attempts to kick an opponent", well no he doesn't their legs come in to contact but he hardly kicked him. "Trips or attempts to trip an opponent", again this didn't happen. It is pretty blooming obvious the player is only unbalanced by his own actions.

Contact is not a foul, this viewpoint seems to have erupted from tv pundits. You couldn't even call that contact a careless kick. It was a leg to leg.

As for Armstrongs. I will try and pull up a still tonight, when I watched it last night I managed to freeze frame at a point where the ball was already beyond Armstrong before he made a move, and when I froze on after he had made a move the ball was in the opposite direction to where he jumped.
I was stood adjacent to the foul for the penalty and galbraith does trip him, whether the West player goes over like a Swan or not, it was a clear trip. And I was stood behind the fence within spitting distance of the Armstrong challenge. He knew exactly what he was doing. The challenge was late and high with no intention of getting the ball. I am amazed West didn't make more of the issue, tbh, and he is a very lucky young man ... thank heavens ...