v Bolton Wanderers 14th November 1961

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

quakerdile
Team Supported: Darlington

v Bolton Wanderers 14th November 1961

Post by quakerdile » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:41 pm

Many thanks to the members who answered my previous request for information and memories regarding the above fixture.

I am still interested in hearing from anybody who has recollections (no matter how trivial) of this 'Monday night to remember', as I am endeavouring to write an article on the event.

I can recall seeing young men sat on the branches of the trees behind the partially built new West Stand, in order to command a free and 'birds eye' few of the match. I didn't have a ticket, but the men on the Polam Lane turnstiles beckoned us into the ground once the game had started. Being a not too tall twelve year old, I didn't see anything of the match, but the atmosphere has left an indelible imprint of my Feethams recollections!

Food for thought?

Regards

Barry

footifan

Re: v Bolton Wanderers 14th November 1961

Post by footifan » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:15 am

I was there, when do you need info by ?

swadquaker

Post by swadquaker » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:21 am

I was 12 as well. We had just beaten West Ham 3-2 in a fantastic match, and there was a feeling that we could beat anybody, so when we lost 2-1 the disappointment was intense. I cant remember details of the game, other than little Joe Rayment's ridiculously huge shorts. Their full back had no chance as Joe took three steps forward before his shorts moved. Also, right in front of me, one of their goals (I think it was the winner) was a harmless cross along the ground and our goalie fumbled it on the line, allowing it trickle over the line. Total disbelief !!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:52 am

I was there that night , I was 16 years old and pretty certain we had a gate of over 21000,footifan (Chris) will be several years younger, am I right Chris.?
Joe Rayment, a tiny right winger we signed from Hartlepool opened the scoring at the Polam Lane end with a half volley from the edge of the box into the roof of the net, but sadly we lost 2-1.Nat Lofthouse was the Bolton centre forward I seem to remember and having beaten West Ham in the round before, we were confident we could beat Bolton. I think that was our all time highest attendance at Feethams but not 100% sure.How we got that many into Feethams was a miracle, absolutely packed to the rafters, great memories.

footifan

Post by footifan » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:34 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:I was there that night , I was 16 years old and pretty certain we had a gate of over 21000,footifan (Chris) will be several years younger, am I right Chris.?
Joe Rayment, a tiny right winger we signed from Hartlepool opened the scoring at the Polam Lane end with a half volley from the edge of the box into the roof of the net, but sadly we lost 2-1.Nat Lofthouse was the Bolton centre forward I seem to remember and having beaten West Ham in the round before, we were confident we could beat Bolton. I think that was our all time highest attendance at Feethams but not 100% sure.How we got that many into Feethams was a miracle, absolutely packed to the rafters, great memories.

Yes I was there aged 9, the 1960 great run in the League Cup. Beating Crystal Palace 2- 0, West Ham including Bobby Moore, John Bond, John Lyall & Phil Woosnam ( He was Commissioner of the North American Soccer League from 1969–83 ) 3- 2 in front of 16,911 at Feethams. The Bolton game was packed & for the midweek game, the record crowd was nearly all Darlo, I do not recall many BW fans in those pre M62 days. Hazy memories of the game, I just remember the long walk home replaying every kick of the match... heading every cross, of course rounding the goal keeper to score the imaginary winner ;).. There I times I wonder why I am a Darlo fan... thinking about those memories are the reason why. Getting to the Quarter Final a few seasons later unluckily losing to Derby County 5- 4... Of course in those days even the First Division teams played their strongest teams... Not like today when the second string is usually put out in the earlier rounds & upsets are common, it was done by lifting their game & rising to the occasion.
Of course the great little Joe Rayment was a favourite player, Ron Greener, Henderson, Ken Furphy etc a good team... that went on to set a then record number of replays in the FA Cup ... a good season for appearance money I bet.
Darlington 1–1 Hull City 26 November 1960
Replay Hull City 1–1 Darlington 28 November 1960
Replay Darlington 1–1 Hull City 5 December 1960
Replay Hull City 0–0 Darlington 12 December 1960
Replay Darlington 0–3 Hull City 15 December 1960

SFG

Post by SFG » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:08 pm

Remember sitting on the scaffolding poles at the back of the (unfinished) West Stand. Agony as I recall.