MGs Team for Saturday

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

MGs Team for Saturday

Post by poppyfield » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:28 am

Been looking on here at the various teams put forward of what "we think" the team for Saturday should be, "but who will MG pick" and where will he play them?
Looking back at preseason and the different formations that have been tried i think MG will want all his most experienced players to start.
I have made two assumptions, we did not sign Marrs and Scott is fit enough to play. after watching Scott against Bish in 2nd half he looks ok.

-------------Bell-----------

Brown--Hunter-- White--Galbraith

Mitchell--Portas--Scott---Purewal

--------Hatch--Dowson------

Subs Armstrong Hopson Walker Jameson
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

HarrytheQuaker

Re: MGs Team for Saturday

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:32 am

I'd agree with that team, Dows will play his usual 60 mins, so Armstrong will give us fresh legs and Hopson will too!!!

JPearson97

Post by JPearson97 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:51 am

(4-4-2) - Bell; Walker, Hunter, Brown, Galbraith; Mitchell, Portas, Scott, Purewal; Hatch, Dowson.

I think Gray will be tempted to go 4-4-2 with Robinson and Thompson suspended. Personally think Scott can have a massive impact this season from midfield.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:03 pm

Mitchell :thumbup: He really could make a difference this season. He's always looking to create and play. Thompson's good and all that, but personally I don't see him as our no 1 player as some do - as he blows hot and cold.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

JPearson97

Post by JPearson97 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:18 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Mitchell :thumbup: He really could make a difference this season. He's always looking to create and play. Thompson's good and all that, but personally I don't see him as our no 1 player as some do - as he blows hot and cold.
:shock:

Thompson is our best player without a doubt. Last season he was as consistent as he's ever been and will continue to improve.

77 games, 42 goals and 32 assists but apparently he blows hot and cold? I do despair at times.

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:24 pm

Without Robinson and Thompson i think he has to go 4 -4-2, hopefully Mitchell can step up while Thommo is out, he is capable of this, very good prospect

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:31 pm

Well JP, I know I'm in the minority here, but that's my view.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great player, and on his day a game changer but on occasions he doesn't produce. I'm not sure we have a "best player" I'm not sure we even need a "best player". We need strength right the way through the team - which looking at the team at the start of this thread, we seem to be achieving.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:39 pm

Thompson is our stand out talent. You are right he throws the odd strop from time to time and his petulance usually ended up in us not winning.

We were quite reliant on him last season. If teams want to double up on Thompson this year I am less concerned, as they will be leaving someone stranded against a marauding Mitchell or Hatch or Armstrong.

JPearson97

Post by JPearson97 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:43 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Well JP, I know I'm in the minority here, but that's my view.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great player, and on his day a game changer but on occasions he doesn't produce. I'm not sure we have a "best player" I'm not sure we even need a "best player". We need strength right the way through the team - which looking at the team at the start of this thread, we seem to be achieving.
Well arguably that's why he plays at step-8, but then again that should come with some understanding that he isn't going to produce every game. Even saying that there weren't that many games last season where he didn't produce in some way, shape or form.

Gray gave him a long-term deal which shows that he's an integral part of our plans and rightly so. Nothing wrong with labelling Thompson, or anyone else for that matter, as our 'best player', because that's what he is and it isn't disgracing anyone else.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:45 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Mitchell :thumbup: He really could make a difference this season. He's always looking to create and play. Thompson's good and all that, but personally I don't see him as our no 1 player as some do - as he blows hot and cold.
You will have the Thomson police on you!!!!!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:55 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:You will have the Thomson police on you!!!!!
I have :silent:
JPearson97 wrote:Well arguably that's why he plays at step-8, but then again that should come with some understanding that he isn't going to produce every game.
I can go with that.
lo36789 wrote:We were quite reliant on him last season. If teams want to double up on Thompson this year I am less concerned, as they will be leaving someone stranded against a marauding Mitchell or Hatch or Armstrong.
And this too.
lo36789 wrote:Thompson is our stand out talent.
At times, yes.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:36 pm

Thompson is our best player no doubt, but hot and cold? In my opinion this is more likely when he is playing left wing. I've not seen him blow cold when playing more advanced or given a bit of freedom, but only when he has been stuck on the flank sometimes making it harder to get involved. However he still proves effective.
DIG. TROLL. NON FAN etc End/
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

TDS

Post by TDS » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:24 am

I think it's the expectation here that is Thompson's undoing and when he's playing poorly he doesn't defend, so it looks even worse.

Mitchell is a real plus because he has the energy to defend and attack and when Thommo is being doubled up on Mitchell needs to be stood on the opposite wing stretching opposition teams thinner.

Upfront we need a mixture of mobility and height, Hatch gives you strength and an awkwardness that we've seen is tough to defend against, Armstrong seems very immobile but maybe has a better finish to him. Dowson we know all about and Purewal can be very good but misses easy chances. Hatch and Dowson for me....

CB is Brown and Hunter, Whitey as back up. Brown is not a RB, defensively sound but this is not all a full back needs to be. Tez LB and Jameson in goal!

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:36 am

i would have no complaints with either of the guys in goal like, don't think many people will