Bishop Auckland tonight

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Bishop Auckland tonight

Post by lo36789 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:38 am

I havn't seen anything either. Thompson, Robinson and Scott are missing right?

I'd go

Bell/Jameson
Marrs, Hunter, Brown, Walker
Mitchell, Portas, Galbraith, Hopson/Amar
Hatch Dowson

I don't think we have many other options for the midfield with the players who are missing!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:49 am

Very pleased with the way last night went. Gray got the tactics and selection spot-on.

Marrs was quality at right-back, and I really hope Gray can offer him something. He's proven at Conference North level with Boston.

It was good to see Brown back at centre half. I'd go for Hunter/White on the opener but I think Gray likes Brown's leadership so I think he'll start alongside Hunter personally.

Mitchell and Portas were both excellent for me. A massive difference compared to the midfield that ended last season. I thought we missed a bit of physicality in there until Scott came on for Armstrong, was good to see Leon get some more minutes.

Hatch/Fisher didn't really work. Fisher missed 2 good chances but Hatch did hold the ball up well at times and won a lot of headers. We looked far more dangerous when Dowson and Purewal came on. You could see the understanding was there.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:50 am

Yes I would stick Amar on the left wing if Thompson is missing, because Amar is very good out wide. The HITMAN and Dowson up top sounds good.

Just thinking, if we end up signing Marrs and Weldon, then we have enough full back cover in Robinson and Walker. Leaving Scott, Galbraith, Hopson and Portas in the middle. Again Robinson can play there if needed.

With Fisher able to play right wing and Amar left/right wing, we have players who can slot in for Thompson and Mitchell.

A strong squad actually with many adaptable players.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:55 am

The central midfield area was our weakest last year with Scott out for large portions due to injury/suspension.

If he can get fit along with Portas and Mitchell we look a lot stronger than last year

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:58 am

Spyman wrote:I'd start the first game with Purewal and Dowson up top. Although I've not seen any of pre-season, as we've chopped and changed so much I think it is logical to start the season with a pairing that know each other inside out and we know can perform together as a pair. Especially as we're missing Thompson.

The last thing we want is to try a 'new' pairing and find they don't click straight away, especially with our main creative force unavailable. Dowson and Purewal may not end up our best pairing throughout the season, but I'd start with with them to get things off to a solid start.
Agree with this. Just like the start of last season, I think Gray will go for the tried and tested.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:01 am

Darlofan97 wrote:It wouldn't surprise me if we were looking at one of Mitchell's former team-mates, Liam Marrs. Right back who was released by Sunderland in January and has just been let go from his trial at Carlisle.
Darlofan97 wrote:I spoke about him a few weeks backs, but right back Liam Marrs might be worth a look following his release from Sunderland. Spent this pre-season training with Carlisle and Gillingham, recently released by the latter.
Called it. ;)

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:20 am

Who was that awful right back signed in the Todd era? I'd happily say he is the worst right back to ever play for Darlington. Think he might have come from Macclesfield.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:27 am

Rikki Bains?

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:28 am

Broughton's cousin no doubt

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:42 am

My preference in centre defence is Hunter/White, but given Whites lack of playing time in pre season I'd go with Hunter/Brown. Marrs will be a great addition.

Up front I'd go Dowson/Hatch first game, Purewal on the left wing.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:50 am

Yeh rikki Baines. Wow he was awful. I assume he have up football after that?

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:57 am

Sounds like the trialist at RB impressed. If we can sign him, the squad is starting to look more balanced, with Walker able to play either side, Brown capable of playing RB, and Scott capable of playing LB too. I still think we are a CM short and with one forward too many. I suppose an advantage of this level is the lack of transfer window, so Gray can keep looking for other players as he deems necessary.

JPearson97

Post by JPearson97 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:55 pm

tezza wrote: Biggest negative, as others have said, Thommo seems a shadow of the player a year ago, seems also to have a temperament issue.
:lol:

LLB
Team Supported: Bishop Auckland

Post by LLB » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:11 pm

Couldnt make l.night as was away. Sounds like good competitive work out for both sides. Anyone catch the eye in the bish side?