Pre Season

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

Pre Season

Post by poppyfield » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:22 am

So what do we make of pre season so far? everybody has there own views on how it should be viewed, game time, fitness levels,new players getting to know there new team,ect. and results dont matter.
Well we have 2 weeks to go before the start of the season against Warrington and one more pre season game scheduled against Bhishop next Tuesday, and according to the Echo MG might play another match next Saturday.
So are we ready?
The players fitness levels should be getting up to speed,good to see Scott got some game time at Whitby.
One area of concern is seeing Hatch and Brown playing out of position in so many of the pre season games so far, Brown/White should be at CB along side Hunter, those 2 players should compete for that position, White and Hunter were excellent last season.
Hatch should be competeing with Armstrong to lead the line up front, yes Hatch can be used as a stand in CB if and when required, but that should be it.
For me the way MG is playing these 2 is effecting the whole team, i just hope we are not 3 or 4 games in before we have players playing in there correct positions.
My team would be (assuming everyone is fit)

Bell Walker Hunter White Scott Thompson Portas Galbraith Mitchel Armstrong Fisher
I would be happy with Purewal or Dowson along side Armstrong, and for Brown to play instead of White.
Match report from the Echo
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/ ... arlington/

If on Tuesday we see Brown at RB and Hatch at CB then i am not confident at all for start of our season.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Bogratsteve

Re: Pre Season

Post by Bogratsteve » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:54 am

Hatch & Dowson/Fisher and I'm happy with the team, some good subs up front as options

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:34 am

completely agree with this

Not too bothered about the results in pre season, however my concern is still Brown and Hatch being played out of position.

I'd go with the team above except Fisher.

Personally i'd go with Tez left back, Scott in CM but could easily be the other way round

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:23 am

Pre-season in one sense has been pretty poor and mirrors last seasons pre-season, which resulted in us finishing 2nd so maybe doesn't point to much.

Probably the fact that we have seen Spenny come in and sign a bunch of players and look like they have a great squad of close to 20, maybe puts a bit of doubt in our minds.

Gray has to decide on the plan with Brown/Hatch/Galbraith/Walker/Scott/White and maybe not make that decision about 6 games in. 2 weeks to go and I have a dejavu feeling with last season and still feel we are maybe missing a full back and possibly a centre midfielder.

Time will tell but generally when Gray isn't happy he looks to change things, hopefully we have a season where we are not under constant financial pressure.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:48 am

For me, if you remember the championship winning season. After we lost to Aycliffe, we went on a fantastic run. It was pretty much down to consistency.

We played much of the same 11 over and over again. The best 11 was basically decided, with the odd change between Nicholls and Emms. It was very consistent and most fans knew the best team, each player knew their position.

This year (whilst we have competition for places) no one seems to know the best 11. I have a feeling we'll be messing with the team every week (possibly to give players on the bench gametime)

I think you have to look at each position and say who's the best there.

My opinion is that GK is quite close, whoever starts doesn't bother me as I think Jameson has come on well.

CBs has to be Hunter and White
RB technically Walker is the best, but I think we could do better
LB Galbraith
RM Mitchell
LM Thompson
CM Portas & Scott (Portas needs a bit of muscle with him I think)
ST Armstrong & Dowson (don't think you can play Hatch & Armstrong).

But this team raises the some questions still.

Are the full-backs good enough?
Does Armstrong's style fit in with the Thompson & Dowson style of play.
Is Brown a better player than Walker even at RB?
Which way round do Galbraith and Scott go? But Portas & Galbraith in CM lacks bite

JPearson97

Post by JPearson97 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:26 am

I mentioned it before about playing Brown in his more natural position or not at all and it seems more concerns are surfacing towards the start of the season. It wasn't that long ago he was our Kevan Smith at centre-half and people thought he could make it to at least the Conference North.

I get the feeling that Gray isn't entirely convinced with Walker and the sooner Weldon comes back from injury the better because we're lacking strength in depth at the back. Scott would also be a good shout for left-back and it would free up Galbraith who's a better centre-midfielder IMO.

Midfield was our achilles heel last season and we've only brought in one centre-midfielder. To be fair Portas looks to be a coup but Scott is coming back from injury and I think Gray needs to be thinking about bringing in one other to balance things out.

Up-top Hatch needs to be fighting it out with Armstrong to lead the line and then it's a choice between Purewal, Fisher or Dowson although not sure how we can fit all of them 3 in. Concerned with our transfer policy this summer, goals weren't exactly a problem last season yet we've brought in two forwards. Last season against Ramsbottom we essentially ended up with two centre-backs in centre-mid and Mitchell dragged us through the game. The weaknesses were obvious and so far potentially only two have been addressed with the signing of Portas and a target-man style forward in Armstrong and Hatch. Full-backs and centre-midfield seem a real concern IMO.

My team would be;

(4-4-2) - Bell; Walker, Hunter, Brown, Scott; Mitchell, Portas, Galbraith, Thompson; Armstrong, Dowson.

(4-3-1-2) - Bell; Walker, Hunter, Brown, Scott; Robinson, Portas, Galbraith; Thompson; Armstrong, Dowson.

Forget the square pegs in round holes nonsense, play the players in their correct positions and then look to sort out any weaknesses.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:37 am

For me, on paper, the squad is a bit top heavy. We have 5 forwards all with pedigree, all more than good enough for this level. However we can only start a match with 2 of them so 3 are going to be twiddling their thumbs. Even if we played 4-3-3, Thommo would have to be the 3rd forward, so you've still got 3 top notch forwards getting splinters.

I think we need to lose 1 of the strikers, though I'd hate to have to decide who - and use the saved wage to part fund signing another full back and centre midfielder to offer more competition in those areas. I think the squad would be ideally balanced then.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:47 am

Quakerz wrote:For me, on paper, the squad is a bit top heavy. We have 5 forwards all with pedigree, all more than good enough for this level. However we can only start a match with 2 of them so 3 are going to be twiddling their thumbs. Even if we played 4-3-3, Thommo would have to be the 3rd forward, so you've still got 3 top notch forwards getting splinters.

I think we need to lose 1 of the strikers, though I'd hate to have to decide who - and use the saved wage to part fund signing another full back and centre midfielder to offer more competition in those areas. I think the squad would be ideally balanced then.
Totally agree I'm suprised fish is still with us, don't get me wrong I like fisher but ur right in what u say we are a bit top heavy and could do with a centre mid..

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:52 am

I think Fisher still has a lot to offer and we've yet to see the best of him. I really wouldn't like to see him depart until we've seen everything that he can do.

A front pairing of Hatch (or Armstrong) with Fisher feeding off them could be devastating. Having said that, David Dowson would always be one of the first names on the team sheet for me, so it's quite a problem we have there. And where does Amar fit in? The good thing about Purewal is that he is just as good on the left wing as he is up front.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:21 pm

I'm with Quakerz on the Fisher front, think Purewal may be on the bench a lot this season but can we afford to have 3 Forwards sat on there

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:34 pm

I think we will see a much better Fisher this season. Agreed with the top heavy squad. We need to lose a striker, and get another full back and CM in. Which striker is a very difficult question.

Re pre-season - I haven't seen much of it, but I really like the look of Portas. I'm not bothered about results, but I really hope Gray learns the lessons from last season of square pegs in round holes. So far it looks like maybe not, but we will find out when the season starts.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:44 pm

I spoke about him a few weeks backs, but right back Liam Marrs might be worth a look following his release from Sunderland. Spent this pre-season training with Carlisle and Gillingham, recently released by the latter.

micra3

Post by micra3 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:08 pm

Wouldn't be surprised to see one striker go (sold)
M I C R A 3

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:29 pm

Quakerz wrote:I think Fisher still has a lot to offer and we've yet to see the best of him. I really wouldn't like to see him depart until we've seen everything that he can do.

A front pairing of Hatch (or Armstrong) with Fisher feeding off them could be devastating. Having said that, David Dowson would always be one of the first names on the team sheet for me, so it's quite a problem we have there. And where does Amar fit in? The good thing about Purewal is that he is just as good on the left wing as he is up front.
And he works hard as do all the strikers

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:08 pm

I agree with a lot of what's been said here, as I mentioned on another thread, but thought I'd chip in on the midfield.

For me, Scott and Portas should be trusted to replicate what we achieved in centre midfield during the Penney era. Scott should be playing the Ravenhill role, letting the full-backs push on by being constantly aware of what they're doing and slotting in, and being the midfield enforcer. I still maintain that Ravenhill was the absolute lynchpin of that team's quality, as he allowed all the technical ability that we had to flourish around him, and Scott should be doing the same. If he does, then Galbraith in particular can be playing the Austin role, getting on when he can and supporting attacks on the wings.

If Portas is the technically gifted box-to-boxer that he sounds like then he can be playing the Purdie/Kennedy role in all this. There's a strong template for what Gray wants to be doing all through this team, based on work ethic, pockets of real quality, and players knowing their roles inside out.

BTW. Dowson and Hatch up front for me - Dowson was fantastic every time I saw him last season, and I think they could match each other really well.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:18 pm

What about Armstrong he was 3rd top scorer in league above last season so should be given first chance for me with Dowson

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:49 pm

darlo reborn wrote:What about Armstrong he was 3rd top scorer in league above last season so should be given first chance for me with Dowson
Better, more experienced & proven than Hatch?!?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:57 pm

Armstong would have started first game if it wasn't for him missing the games so close to the season starts.

Not sure whether Hatch will get to start in that game as he hs mainly played as a CB. At the moment I would go for Armstrong and Dowson but we haven't had enough games where the players have played and developed an outstanding partnership.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:58 pm

Fair point, maybe MG's plan hence why Hatch has not started up front every game

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:17 pm

I think Gary Brown has to play as a centre half, or not at all. I'd much rather have Jack Walker go right-back and I'd like to think Brown has been playing there due to player unavailability rather than a tactical choice.

Hatch has to play as a forward also. We already have 3 top centre backs in Brown, Hunter and White. Playing him anywhere other than a forward would be a waste.

Agree with comments above regarding how top-heavy we are. With all players available it's hard to see Fisher getting into the match-day 16. Wouldn't surprise me to see Hopson and Fisher leave so we can bring in a full-back and a centre midfielder.

(4-3-1-2) Jameson; Walker, Brown, Hunter, Scott; Robinson, Portas, Galbraith; Thompson; Dowson, Armstrong

Bell, White, Mitchell, Purewal, Hatch

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:28 pm

3-5-2

Bell

Hunter;Brown;Hatch

Mitchell;Portas;Thompson;Scott;Galbraith

Purewal;Dowson

subs:
Robinson, Jameson, Hopson, Fisher, Armstrong

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:04 pm

I've missed most of the pre-season games apart from Northallerton where I was really impressed with Portas. The enigma for me is Fisher who I think has a lot more to offer. His movement is what for me places him above the rest of our other excellent forwards.

I think in the professional leagues I always liked more the slicker athletic players but it needs to be recognised that some of the pitches in the Evostik are nothing more than glorified quagmires where frankly we would need more physical midfield players and strikers. I don't think there is a 'best XI' or a one size fits all team. I DO think our squad, however, stands up well with any other squad in this division. I can't ignore the fact, however, that I am getting concerned about the pre-season results.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:38 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:3-5-2

Bell

Hunter;Brown;Hatch

Mitchell;Portas;Thompson;Scott;Galbraith

Purewal;Dowson

subs:
Robinson, Jameson, Hopson, Fisher, Armstrong
Not for me that one! Don't mind the idea of 3-5-2 but since it's not been seen thus far I can't see us starting with it.

I don't think there's a hope in hell of MG playing it but I'd go

Bell,

Brown, Hunter, White, Scott
Mitchell, Portas, Galbraith, Thompson
Dowson, Hatch

Solid back four who don't need to get forward too much to sit behind a more creative midfield. Armstrong may well be good enough but I just haven't seen him.

Let's see what MG goes with, probably Bell up front and Thompson at centre back.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:15 pm

Quakerz raises a very valid point on the number of forwards. Seems Armstrong was brought in for his scoring record in a higher league and then Hatch became available. Five is too many and one should be released, priority still another centre mid of good quality and then a right back. But if we're going with what we've got, then:
Bell
Walker White Hunter Galbraith
Mitchell Portas Scott Thompson
Dowson Armstrong
4-4-2 with players in their positions, however requires both Mitchell AND Thompson to play a greater all-round part. Armstrong to start purely on previous goal-scoring record. Two tough opening games and would snap your hand off for 4 points

Quaker0006

Post by Quaker0006 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:36 pm

QuakerPete wrote:Quakerz raises a very valid point on the number of forwards. Seems Armstrong was brought in for his scoring record in a higher league and then Hatch became available. Five is too many and one should be released, priority still another centre mid of good quality and then a right back. But if we're going with what we've got, then:
Bell
Dowson Armstrong
4-4-2 with players in their positions, however requires both Mitchell AND Thompson to play a greater all-round part. Armstrong to start purely on previous goal-scoring record. Two tough opening games and would snap your hand off for 4 points

Spot on for me. Galbraith isn't strong enough in midfield. Scott/Portas are two solid players playing in their proper positions. Natural balance in this starting line up. Unfortunately means no place for Browny. Defo go with this

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:56 am

Quaker0006 wrote:
QuakerPete wrote:Quakerz raises a very valid point on the number of forwards. Seems Armstrong was brought in for his scoring record in a higher league and then Hatch became available. Five is too many and one should be released, priority still another centre mid of good quality and then a right back. But if we're going with what we've got, then:
Bell
Dowson Armstrong

Spot on for me. Galbraith isn't strong enough in midfield. Scott/Portas are two solid players playing in their proper positions. Natural balance in this starting line up. Unfortunately means no place for Browny. Defo go with this
Thomo is suspended against Warrington. Never seen Armstrong, but to be scoring 30 odd goals for Whitby last season, he must have something, although by all accounts he was poor and looked "a bit out of condition", with a "sloppy first touch" against Billingham .... albeit because of lack of general fitness and match practice. Going on his hols is hardly going to help him regain his fitness, so I'd be tempted to leave him out til he gets it back, particularly when we are spoilt for choice in this this position. Purewal had a very decent game on Saturday again and is an absolute menace.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:09 am

Tell you what though, it's nice to have a thread aimlessly speculating on formations rather than concentrating in an impeding financial crisis for a change!

TDS

Post by TDS » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:23 am

I agree with most points to be fair, one too many strikers and a desperate need for a CM. Portas and Scott in there for me, but I have a feeling Scott may take a few games to get into the swing again.

Galbraith would be fine in the middle but he's just so dangerous at left back with his energy. Last season he was outstanding and semi-crocked too!

Problem with Purewal is he takes 10 chances to score one, which just makes everything annoying because we have strikers who have the finishing ability but not the awkwardness Purewal has. Who do you let go?! Part of me thinks Gray is playing Hatch as a CB so he can keep all of them!

Once you've got everyone in their correct positions I'd say RB is our weakest area but maybe financially we need to have a player or two in the "decent enough" category!

Not worried about pre-season overall but the only thing we need to make sure we do is perform in the big games this season, take points off the title chasers and we'll smash some of the fodder, naturally. :wave:

divas

Post by divas » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:25 am

The thing with forwards is that they quite often change games. For too many seasons in our history I've looked at our subs bench and had little hope that we could change a game that was headed in the wrong direction.

Given both Fisher & Amar can play wide very competently if needed and Hatch/Dowson run themself into the ground it's quite conceivable that at least 4 forwards will get some game time each match. To be able to bring a quality, fresh striker on after 60-70 mins will terrify the opposition.

The only fear would be that if we're short in other areas to achieve this. General consensus in another full back and another CM which I wouldn't disagree with and if we're maxed budget wise then yes we have to make a sacrifice. However I get the feeling that Gray is just being a little bit canny at the moment and keeping something in reserve for the next week or so when trialists at other clubs are released. We've the best part of 2 weeks until we start.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:33 am

Having Fisher and Purewal available to play out wide is all well and good however arguably our best formation is one with no wingers.

Even if we decide to play with wingers, it's hard to see Fisher starting ahead of Mitchell, and even then we also have Hopson who can play there.

I think one forward has to go in order to strengthen the team elsewhere, although I wouldn't like to decide which one. We'll probably's need Fisher in 2-3 seasons time when Hatch and Armstrong start to feel their legs a bit.