Pre Season

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Quakerz
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Pre Season

Post by Quakerz » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:24 pm

People are trying to shoehorn players into a 3-5-2, or other formations that don't require wingers but are forgetting that Purewal is just as good out wide.

If we're going to play 4-4-2 this season, then stick to 4-4-2 and play Purewal in place of Thompson.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

divas

Post by divas » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:29 pm

I guess the crux is that we often see the best from Thompson when given more of a free role and that can leave us open down the flanks and with little protection in the middle to help out

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:37 pm

1st game not sure Scott will be match fit but Hatch / Dowson is my preferred choice

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:12 pm

You know I said that one before Quakerz and I agree. I was just interested to see what Spyman thought given he wanted the Dowson/Purewal strikerforce how he'd work the rest.

Personally I wouldn't fancy Mitchell in amongst a midfield 3, you need 3 centre midfielders not a wide man in there. Too lightweight too much of a liability defensively.

JPearson97

Post by JPearson97 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:25 pm

lo36789 wrote: Personally I wouldn't fancy Mitchell in amongst a midfield 3, you need 3 centre midfielders not a wide man in there. Too lightweight too much of a liability defensively.
Nonsense, the amount of defensive work Mitchell put in against Sunderland and Bishop was ridiculous and it was refreshing to see given the lack of mobility in midfield last season. He has excellent fitness levels, technical ability way too good for the league we're in and more importantly the right attitude.

I'd have no problem with him starting in a midfield 3.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:05 pm

Hey happy to be proved wrong. You have seen stuff I havn't. I don't see him having the discipline for that role.

I would go Purewal wide and Hatch up top. I just think that is all our best players in the team and in familiar positions.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:58 pm

I got the impression we played 4-3-1-2 last season, rather than wingers. Certainly in the few games I saw. Was this not the case?

If the players are more accustomed to a standard 4-4-2 then I agree stick with that, Purewal wide. But if not, go like for like and play one of Mitchell/Hopson/Fisher behind Dowson and Purewal for the first game or two.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

davidcorks 40yard OG

Post by davidcorks 40yard OG » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:00 am

David (5 chances before he scores )Dowson should be on the bench ....decent last 10 mins sub at best :shock:

gotta be Purewal & Hatch up front for me....

Twintowers

Post by Twintowers » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:55 am

davidcorks 40yard OG wrote:David (5 chances before he scores )Dowson should be on the bench ....decent last 10 mins sub at best :shock:

Opinions are like arseholes,everyone has one.Dowson is one of the first names on the team sheet for me.Hatch/Dowson up top for me.

Darlo will

Post by Darlo will » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:34 am

davidcorks 40yard OG wrote:David (5 chances before he scores )Dowson should be on the bench ....decent last 10 mins sub at best :shock:

If you would bench Dowson before Purewal i suggest a trip to the head doctor!
We score when we want
we score when we want
we are darlo
we score when we want

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:36 am

Dowson many not slot in all the chances but the amount he creates by chasing and hurrying is worthless, couple him with Hatch and bingo

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:40 am

Bogratsteve wrote:Dowson many not slot in all the chances but the amount he creates by chasing and hurrying is worthless, couple him with Hatch and bingo
I agree entirely with your sentiments, but I think you meant to say "priceless"!

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:46 am

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
Bogratsteve wrote:Dowson many not slot in all the chances but the amount he creates by chasing and hurrying is worthless, couple him with Hatch and bingo
I agree entirely with your sentiments, but I think you meant to say "priceless"!
Ha ha yes your correct

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:01 am

Spyman wrote:I got the impression we played 4-3-1-2 last season, rather than wingers. Certainly in the few games I saw. Was this not the case?

If the players are more accustomed to a standard 4-4-2 then I agree stick with that, Purewal wide. But if not, go like for like and play one of Mitchell/Hopson/Fisher behind Dowson and Purewal for the first game or two.
Start of the season we played 4-4-2. It was more of a 4-2-4 due to the attacking mentality of Thompson & Moore. We started playing 4-3-1-2 from the Blyth cup game onwards. 3-5-2 was then used towards the back-end of the season against some of the poor sides, I believe this was to put all the centre backs in (Hunter/Tait/White) whilst allowing Brown to play centre midfield. Probably got the best out of Walker too.

I'd say the 4-3-1-2 gave us our best form with 1 defeat in 14 since it was first used against Blyth. It arguably saw the best form of Thompson who scored 12 goals during this period. This formation has been used for the majority of this pre-season with Mitchell playing on the right of the 3. Portas seems to sit deep in the middle and play whilst the other centre midfielder on the left side is a box-to-box one.