Pre Season

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Bogratsteve
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Pre Season

Post by Bogratsteve » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:37 am

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:41 am

Fisher wouldn't be a replacement for Hatch or Armstrong, too different in playing styles.

I have a feeling Gray has kept the 5 strikers for the obvious lack of winger situation, now since Mitchell has signed he may feel he can release one and bring in someone else.

Echo points towards a trialist playing tonight, although as mentioned by someone else Gray is possibly awaiting on someone failing to get a contract elsewhere.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:02 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Fisher wouldn't be a replacement for Hatch or Armstrong, too different in playing styles.
I can see that point however we effectively have 2 forwards of very similar playing styles in Hatch and Armstrong. We really only need one with Purewal in the squad which is why it could be worth keeping Fisher on in the long-term, he had a decent first season in the Conference at the age of 22.

Realistically, in a few years we could have a pool of forwards of Dowson/Purewal/Fisher/ plus a target man style forward.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:44 pm

In a few years I hope we are in BSN if not having a very serious go at the Evostick Prem title - I am not sure our squad will look anything like what it is now.

There are 4 players who I say will still be with us at that point Portas, Mitchell, Thompson & Hunter. Nothing against the players we have, I just think that the top 10 of EvoStick Prem could be a step too far. Remember a lot have been with us since NL!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:30 pm

lo36789 wrote:In a few years I hope we are in BSN if not having a very serious go at the Evostick Prem title - I am not sure our squad will look anything like what it is now.

There are 4 players who I say will still be with us at that point Portas, Mitchell, Thompson & Hunter. Nothing against the players we have, I just think that the top 10 of EvoStick Prem could be a step too far. Remember a lot have been with us since NL!
Yep, but also remember that those that were with us since Northern League were a million times too good for the Northern League and won it by a lot of points.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:41 pm

Agree. At the same time they didn't absolutely dominate D1N though. The Prem is going to be a step up again. Who knows.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:38 pm

I know it might sound unpopular but...

I think Hatch is going to be a big issue. He's not a CB. Would prefer us to play Hunter and White, then Brown. He also wouldn't be my first choice striker. I hope he does well though as I always enjoyed him playing for us (especially that 2nd half against Gateshead in the trophy semi at home)

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:57 am

lo36789 wrote:Agree. At the same time they didn't absolutely dominate D1N though. The Prem is going to be a step up again. Who knows.
Well lets get to the Prem first and then think about it.

But, those who have been with us through both seasons - Bell, Galbraith, Scott, Thompson, Purewal, Dowson - you'd say they were probably some of our stand-out performers in alast season's team wouldn't you? So the ones who have stuck with us since the NL are still key members of one of D1N's best teams. No reason to think they couldn't make another step up, supplemented by a few others (Hunter, Portas, Mitchell etc).
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

mensamoo

Post by mensamoo » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:52 pm

This squad hasn't improved the team greatly from last year for me. True, it can beat 80% of teams in this league but I predict it will fold when meeting the real contenders. I was sorry to see Ward go as we have never had a player to turn a game when in adversity. When I see suggestions of Purewal and Dowson up front for the coming season I cringe. We need lots more quality. They did admirably in the NL but this league requires more. Hatch up front and Brown at the back would be a sensible start. I predict scares in the first two games and another play off spot at third at the finish. I don't do rose-coloured glasses. Sorry.
let's get a new FA. This one's broken.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:35 am

You cringe at Purewal? I'm sorry, but for the last 2 seasons he has bagged goals consistently .

As for Dowson, he works like heck and is a massive team player and offers good link up/inter-change play.

JPearson97

Post by JPearson97 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:06 am

mensamoo wrote:This squad hasn't improved the team greatly from last year for me. True, it can beat 80% of teams in this league but I predict it will fold when meeting the real contenders. I was sorry to see Ward go as we have never had a player to turn a game when in adversity. When I see suggestions of Purewal and Dowson up front for the coming season I cringe. We need lots more quality. They did admirably in the NL but this league requires more. Hatch up front and Brown at the back would be a sensible start. I predict scares in the first two games and another play off spot at third at the finish. I don't do rose-coloured glasses. Sorry.
Think you'll find you might be the only one who cringes at 20 goal a season forwards.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:29 am

I think the poster said he cringed at another season with the same strike force as last. Cringed is maybe a bit strong but I think we do need something different up there, there were many games last season where we dominated possession but seemed fairly easy to defend against.
Martin Gray obviously agrees, bearing in mind we've signed Fisher, Armstrong, Ward, Hatch and Armstrong since the start of last season. He's still trying to find some different options up there.

JollypotterSAFC

Post by JollypotterSAFC » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:50 am

i wouldnt mind amar or dowson for the first game, as you say tried and tested but lets look at the quality and power Warrington will have. They are a big team and last year they out muscled us for most parts. we need a bit of bite. Hatch would be my choice but he is clearly not the player he once was. then does gray go and change things for the travel to Spennymoor? you have to bear that in mind 3 days later. For me Spennymoor have a much more balanced squad. strength in depth. I really think we will struggle against the top sides.

Shame to see Fisher go on the odd occasions last yuear he proved what a competant finisher he was . I was happy to see my hometown team play Darlo in what was purely a fitness excerise for our men.
Hatch or Armstrong hasnt done it for me this season.
we should never have let ward go IMO.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:04 am

Whatever the deficiencies in our team/squad I don't see any team out muscling us this season (or last) - not when you have players like Hunter, White, Scott, Galbraith, Brown and now Hatch & Armstrong.

As for Warrington we comprehensively beat them twice last season.

You are right on us struggling against the other top sides, I'm keen to see how Gray is going to address that this season.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:11 am

mensamoo wrote:This squad hasn't improved the team greatly from last year for me. True, it can beat 80% of teams in this league but I predict it will fold when meeting the real contenders.
Portas, Armstrong and Hatch are all upgrades on what we had last season, and also from what I hear about Marrs' pedigree - should we sign him - he could be an improvement. Plus we have Gary Brown back, who was unavailable for most of last season. So yes, the squad is stronger, and I think Gray has done well to improve the squad considering that we can't just throw pots of cash at it.
I was sorry to see Ward go as we have never had a player to turn a game when in adversity.
I was also sorry to see him go, but let's face it he is a big, awkward, but limited forward who you chuck on to mix things up.

If you think he could turn a game in adversity, then Hatch and Armstrong (who are both better, I said BETTER than him, and that's why we let him go) can certainly turn a game in adversity.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:22 am

JollypotterSAFC wrote:i wouldnt mind amar or dowson for the first game, as you say tried and tested but lets look at the quality and power Warrington will have. They are a big team and last year they out muscled us for most parts. we need a bit of bite.
2-0 and 4-1 to us, you could not be wronger could you?
Hatch would be my choice but he is clearly not the player he once was.
We're clearly not in the same league that we once were, either. White is still outstanding at this level, but he is finished at Conference level, why can't Hatch who is several years younger, be the same? Gateshead fans were sorry to see him go, he's still got what it takes - and what are you basing it on when you say Hatch is not the same player any more? A couple of friendlies where he's played mostly at the back. We owe it to all of our new signings to give them 15+ (real) matches before making judgement.
Give it 15 matches. Hatch and Armstrong are better players. What is the obsession with Darlo fans in "creating" a problem, then "solving" it by bringing up the name of someone we just let go?

Last season Johnson, this season Ward.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:50 am

JollypotterSAFC wrote:Hatch or Armstrong hasnt done it for me this season.
I think we should wait for the real, competitive stuff to start instead of making baseless assumptions.
Last edited by Darlofan97 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:54 am

mensamoo wrote:When I see suggestions of Purewal and Dowson up front for the coming season I cringe. We need lots more quality. They did admirably in the NL but this league requires more.
They also performed very well last season and I would have no problem in Gray starting with them next season.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:00 am

I see the doom-mongers are getting in early this season.

I pity our strikers. If they haven't scored 10 goals each by the end of September, it'll be "Ward would have done that."

As DarloFan97 rightly says, let's wait until the season has started before people begin with the "such and such would have done better," and "we shud hav kept Ward IMO."

And given the amount of times mensamoan whinges about Darlo with no basis, I'm convinced he/she is a troll on the wind up.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:18 am

mensamoo wrote:I was sorry to see Ward go as we have never had a player to turn a game when in adversity. When I see suggestions of Purewal and Dowson up front for the coming season I cringe.
Firstly, from what I saw of Ward last season, he was nothing special. Big and awkward, but nowhere near as much of a threat as Purewal.

Secondly, I suggested we start the first couple of games with Dowson and Purewal, because Armstrong and Hatch may take a while to bed in while we find our most effective front pairing, and we need to hit the ground running. We know Dowson and Purewal can cause problems for defences at this level.

We are missing Thompson for a few games, so need to to know that we have other players in the side who can create and link up together.

Shoving a new partnership up front that has maybe played 45-90 minutes together in pre-season, with a relatively below par attacking midfield behind them, is a recipe for things not to click and for us to drop points in the opening games.

Save the experiementing with different partnerships for when we have Thompson back to make things happen if they aren't clicking up front.

DC

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:09 pm

For me Hatch has already shown great awareness and passion when he has played up front, like Dowson he works his backside off and does not give the defenders a break, he also had some great flick ons the other night, if played regularly up front this season I would put money on him been top scorer and lots of assists, for me him and Dowson need time playing together.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:22 pm

What are you suggesting for Warrington though Spyman? We are missing Robinson, Thompson and Scott?

I don't think we have much choice to stick Purewal out wide given the absentees? Mitchell can play there - but then who plays out right? We don't have enough CMs left to go 3 in the middle.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:02 pm

lo36789 wrote:What are you suggesting for Warrington though Spyman? We are missing Robinson, Thompson and Scott?

I don't think we have much choice to stick Purewal out wide given the absentees? Mitchell can play there - but then who plays out right? We don't have enough CMs left to go 3 in the middle.
Not sure if Scott will be missing, he was at it from the word go against Bish, i know he is just comming back after a long time out through injury, but you would not have noticed
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Bogratsteve

Pre Season

Post by Bogratsteve » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:06 pm

See Ward has just signed for West

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:41 pm

lo36789 wrote:What are you suggesting for Warrington though Spyman? We are missing Robinson, Thompson and Scott?

Bell

Trialist from other day
White
Hunter
Walker

Portas
Galbraith
Mitchell

Fisher

Dowson
Purewal

Or stick Brown in midfield (not ideal but has been done before) and push Mitchell into Fisher's spot.

DC

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:59 pm

Could Hopson not go into Fishers place? It is the role he's suited to....

divas

Post by divas » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:11 pm

Yeah I'd definitely go with Hopson in the Thompson role otherwise what's the point in him?

divas

Post by divas » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:14 pm

Don't think we've really played 3-5-2 in pre-season so probably unlikely but our squad lends itself

-------------Bell-----------

----Hunter--Brown--White----

Marrs-----------------Galbraith

----------Portas--Scott----------

---------Hopson/Mitchell--------

------Armstrong--Dowson------

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:19 pm

Bell

Trialist Brown Hunter Scott

Mitchell Portas Galbraith Purewal

The HITMAN Dowson

Subs - Jameson, Armstrong, White, Walker, Hopson.

Fuck me, it's not hard.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:21 pm

divas wrote:Don't think we've really played 3-5-2 in pre-season so probably unlikely but our squad lends itself

-------------Bell-----------

----Hunter--Brown--White----

Marrs-----------------Galbraith

----------Portas--Scott----------

---------Hopson/Mitchell--------

------Armstrong--Dowson------
No, just no. Fucking about for the sake of it.