Spenny Away

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

dickdarlington
Team Supported: Darlington

Spenny Away

Post by dickdarlington » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:41 am

Bearing in mind the game is only three weeks away, and i'm expecting them to make it all ticket once more. Has there been any word on tickets going on sale?

AndyPark

Re: Spenny Away

Post by AndyPark » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:28 am

I was going to ask the same thing, any news from either club?

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:28 pm

What is there capacity? To be honest with our own home crowds declineing, i cant see more than 800- 950 making the trip.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:17 pm

2600 I think. That was the attendance when we played their two seasons ago.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:27 pm

davidcorks 40yard OG

Post by davidcorks 40yard OG » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:35 pm

I'm away to corfu for a fortnight the day before spenny away :evil:

kind of gutted :thumbdown:

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:42 pm

davidcorks 40yard OG wrote:I'm away to corfu for a fortnight the day before spenny away :evil:

I fly to Spain the evening we play them also!!!! just realised after you posted, wonder if the wife will mind a slight delay to the Hols :lol:

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:54 pm

We paid on the night 2years ago, so can't see this been all ticket and they have sold 200% more season tickets this season at £100 a throw, so should be a good crowd

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:03 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:We paid on the night 2years ago, so can't see this been all ticket and they have sold 200% more season tickets this season at £100 a throw, so should be a good crowd
How did you manage that? I thought it was all ticket last night it seems to be reported as a full house.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:59 pm

Ah thinking about it it was all ticket my mistake...lol

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:13 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:We paid on the night 2years ago, so can't see this been all ticket and they have sold 200% more season tickets this season at £100 a throw, so should be a good crowd
200% increase is great but if they only sold 20 previously (no idea on actual figure could be much higher etc) then thats 60 sold, also the offer was excellent, season ticket cost per game £4.76 or £8 per match without season ticket. Match day increase of £2 per game I believe on last season from £6.

The ST offer gives you 8.5 games free which is brilliant offer.

I would love us if financially viable to make an excellent ST deal when we move back to BM, although we seem to err on the side of caution generally with prices and try to maximise from the current hardcore, without trying to encourage new fans so much. This is due to financial reasons and the difficulty to convince floating fans to travel to Bishop more regurlaly.

charlie

Post by charlie » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:38 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
200% increase is great but if they only sold 20 previously (no idea on actual figure could be much higher etc) then thats 60 sold, also the offer was excellent, season ticket cost per game £4.76 or £8 per match without season ticket. Match day increase of £2 per game I believe on last season from £6.

I would love us if financially viable to make an excellent ST deal when we move back to BM, although we seem to err on the side of caution generally with prices and try to maximise from the current hardcore, without trying to encourage new fans so much. This is due to financial reasons and the difficulty to convince floating fans to travel to Bishop more regurlaly.
In an ideal world that would be great but at the moment I can't see that happening, at the moment we can't afford to offer deals. Were still paying back debt and as a fan owned club in my opinion once were on a sound basis financially we'll be able to offer deals of that nature till then as supporters it should be what we can do for the club not what the club can do for us.
Hope I'm making sense with that

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:24 pm

charlie wrote:

In an ideal world that would be great but at the moment I can't see that happening, at the moment we can't afford to offer deals. Were still paying back debt and as a fan owned club in my opinion once were on a sound basis financially we'll be able to offer deals of that nature till then as supporters it should be what we can do for the club not what the club can do for us.
But surely attracting 300/400 more people spending money surely it makes sense...

charlie

Post by charlie » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:59 pm

It's a difficult one because you've got to guarantee them folk are going to come through the door. Luckily that's not my decision to make because I'd struggle with it

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:01 pm

charlie wrote: In an ideal world that would be great but at the moment I can't see that happening, at the moment we can't afford to offer deals. Were still paying back debt and as a fan owned club in my opinion once were on a sound basis financially we'll be able to offer deals of that nature till then as supporters it should be what we can do for the club not what the club can do for us.
The question is can we afford not to do better deals. To be fair to the board we have not been in any position to try and these deals would not work much whilst in Bishop.

The big opportunity is when we move back to Darlo to turn floaters/interested parties into ST holders. At the moment attendances are dropping, ST Holders have dropped from 750 (12/13) to 650 (13/14) and likely lower from what I am aware season 14/15. Attendances are dropping and this in turn affects budget, or you need to find extra finance from commercial or fans.

The CIC has 800 members or so people currently interested enough to be a member, however a lot of these were joined initially in the wave of saving the club, via the Trust member vote and then by the ST holders all becoming members. It will be interesting to see how many renew this year, as the numbers will sadly drop.

We are now in a position where we have only 60k debt of which this debt is likely to be TUPE debt which is set at approx 1.3K per month and rumoured to have no interest element built in.

The problem is we need to find money to move back to Darlo which is not yet known the total required.

Yes we are a fans owned club however they seem to be less and less of us at the moment which is worrying, hopefully the survey will help us understand the reducing numbers. From a personal point of view I have paid an extra £55 this year for 3 season tickets due to increases and that was moving from a seat to standing for myself, luckily for me I can afford this. However we have to think about those who can't, you may lose 3 ST holders in a similar position. We can't tell people like this that they need to think what they can do for the club, we have to understand why they are walking away/not coming as often and how we can resolve this.

Risk either way and the board have to steer us as best as possible. They may make a great offer and if sadly the numbers didn't increase then all they have done is reduce the turnover. Then again by not making an offer we may see attendances continue to fall and all that has happend is a decrease in turnover.

I am sure MJ will have thought about this and will at the time have some calculation of what he could try and do in regards to boosting attendance.

Reading it back the post sounds a little negative, it's not meant to I just do find it interesting in which way as a fans owned club we go and the challenges we have. Some may argue it's black and white one way or another, personally I don't think so and either decision comes with risk. However we are in such a better position than we were 2 years ago and that is something to be proud of.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:46 pm

Totally agree with you Les, well put!!!!

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:54 pm

Agreed super_les.

In summary our current strategy seems to be taking increasing amounts of £ from a shrinking fan base. Hopefully we'll take the opportunity to be bold on the return to Darlo to try and capture the interest of casual & lapsed Darlo fans.

RUMPLESTILTSKIN

Post by RUMPLESTILTSKIN » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:01 pm

davidcorks 40yard OG wrote:I'm away to corfu for a fortnight the day before spenny away :evil:

I'll go to Corfu for you if you want to see the Spen game. :idea:
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:06 pm

I firmly believe the return to darlo will be the catalyst. We've been quite fortunate that our sell on clauses have rolled in at a time when things have started to get tough.

Cost announcements will get the momentum going, dates of return and the actual return will keep it going then good performance on the green stuff will cement it.

If we can get back to Darlo this season and see the team clinch promotion in Darlo. That has to be the goal.

We might get a few more Dan Burn boosts next season as well which will help!

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:41 am

charlie wrote: In an ideal world that would be great but at the moment I can't see that happening, at the moment we can't afford to offer deals. Were still paying back debt and as a fan owned club in my opinion once were on a sound basis financially we'll be able to offer deals of that nature till then as supporters it should be what we can do for the club not what the club can do for us.
The question is can we afford not to do better deals. To be fair to the board we have not been in any position to try and these deals would not work much whilst in Bishop.

The big opportunity is when we move back to Darlo to turn floaters/interested parties into ST holders. At the moment attendances are dropping, ST Holders have dropped from 750 (12/13) to 650 (13/14) and likely lower from what I am aware season 14/15. Attendances are dropping and this in turn affects budget, or you need to find extra finance from commercial or fans.

The CIC has 800 members or so people currently interested enough to be a member, however a lot of these were joined initially in the wave of saving the club, via the Trust member vote and then by the ST holders all becoming members. It will be interesting to see how many renew this year, as the numbers will sadly drop.

We are now in a position where we have only 60k debt of which this debt is likely to be TUPE debt which is set at approx 1.3K per month and rumoured to have no interest element built in.

The problem is we need to find money to move back to Darlo which is not yet known the total required.

Yes we are a fans owned club however they seem to be less and less of us at the moment which is worrying, hopefully the survey will help us understand the reducing numbers. From a personal point of view I have paid an extra £55 this year for 3 season tickets due to increases and that was moving from a seat to standing for myself, luckily for me I can afford this. However we have to think about those who can't, you may lose 3 ST holders in a similar position. We can't tell people like this that they need to think what they can do for the club, we have to understand why they are walking away/not coming as often and how we can resolve this.

Risk either way and the board have to steer us as best as possible. They may make a great offer and if sadly the numbers didn't increase then all they have done is reduce the turnover. Then again by not making an offer we may see attendances continue to fall and all that has happend is a decrease in turnover.

I am sure MJ will have thought about this and will at the time have some calculation of what he could try and do in regards to boosting attendance.

Reading it back the post sounds a little negative, it's not meant to I just do find it interesting in which way as a fans owned club we go and the challenges we have. Some may argue it's black and white one way or another, personally I don't think so and either decision comes with risk. However we are in such a better position than we were 2 years ago and that is something to be proud of.
I've yet to be convinced that reducing crowds are primarily the result of increased ticket prices. It seems more complicated than that, with the initial feel good factor wearing off to an extent for some fans.
Perhaps some didn't realise what a slog it would be climbing the leagues coupled with repaying our debts. Perhaps the novelty and excitement of that first season has worn off, or the Bishop trip and lack of covered seating has put off some older / infirm fans.
Even success on the pitch last season didn't arrest this decline so I'm not sure at what level a ticket deal would need to be at to achieve fan growth - if this is anything other than a temporary solution.
It seems to me a more rounded, all-encompassing route is required placing the football club at the heart of its community (return to Darlo needed as soon as possible) where a thriving youth section (not just youth teams) provide fans for the future. Consett FC seem to have some success in this area. More community involvement outside of football, etc. this is already underway with great people like Dave Mills at the club, but I've always said it's an ongoing never-cracked it task. Limiting factors are cash and volunteers, of course.
The club have a really difficult balancing act here and fans past and present have a dilemma about their club's future direction and sustainability.

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:55 am

Being in bishop stops those who finish work at 2-3 on a Saturday afternoon from attending. Did for me loads last season.
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:13 pm

This was put on the spenny site last night, obv applies to ther fans not ours.

http://www.spennymoortownfc.co.uk/club- ... -club-news

So tickets go on sale for their members from Saturday, doesn't state if all ticket has been decided, either way has to segregated i think.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:58 pm

You will always find that attendances will decrease thing longer you stay out of town.

We had an attendance reduction last season of 17% (1,097) compared to the 12/13 season (1,319). Although I understand that these were not all home fans due to the better away followings in the NL (Bishop Auckland, West Auckland, Shildon, Whitley Bay, Spennymoor).

AFC Rushden and Diamonds suffered a 14% reduction in 13/14 (470) compared to 12/13 (544). This was despite gaining promotion to the UCL Premier Division in the 12/13 season from the UCL Division One. This is the equivalent of us winning promotion to the NL Division One from the NL Division Two.

FC United's attendances reduced by 16% after their first season, then 19% after their second. This is higher due to the promotion from a more regional league to the Evo-Stik D1N.

There are examples of where community, fan-owned clubs can prosper playing in their home town however...

Maidstone United's average attendance increased by 350% since moving into their new stadium in town for the 12/13 season. This attendance has been maintained and increased by 7% in the 13/14 season.

Chester FC's attendances increased in their debut season by 21%, despite dropping down 4 divisions from League 2.

Halifax have managed to get a similar number of fans to what they did in the Conference when they ran into financial difficulties, with figures occasionaly going up or below that amount, we all know it's a rugby town anyway. ;)

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:20 pm

QuakerPete wrote:I've yet to be convinced that reducing crowds are primarily the result of increased ticket prices. It seems more complicated than that, with the initial feel good factor wearing off to an extent for some fans.
Perhaps some didn't realise what a slog it would be climbing the leagues coupled with repaying our debts. Perhaps the novelty and excitement of that first season has worn off, or the Bishop trip and lack of covered seating has put off some older / infirm fans.
Even success on the pitch last season didn't arrest this decline so I'm not sure at what level a ticket deal would need to be at to achieve fan growth - if this is anything other than a temporary solution.
It seems to me a more rounded, all-encompassing route is required placing the football club at the heart of its community (return to Darlo needed as soon as possible) where a thriving youth section (not just youth teams) provide fans for the future. Consett FC seem to have some success in this area. More community involvement outside of football, etc. this is already underway with great people like Dave Mills at the club, but I've always said it's an ongoing never-cracked it task. Limiting factors are cash and volunteers, of course.
The club have a really difficult balancing act here and fans past and present have a dilemma about their club's future direction and sustainability.
Your right that nothing really would have helped whilst we are in Bishop and not sure what affect it will have when back in Darlington. The Board I would say have probably made the right decisions as reduced prices wouldn't help whilst in Bishop but Robbie is right it is taking more from those fans as opposed to increase the fan base. This is the strategy and has probably proven as the right path whilst in Bishop.

However we are pretty much the most expensive ticket for our level, I don't think a ticket deal is maybe the right term, more is it feasible to reduce price and maybe increase attendances upon return to Darlo. We need to look to turn those who will turn up to at least 10/12 games in the reasonable weather and try and get them to come to cold January nights because they now have a season ticket.

Moving back to Darlo is a one off chance, they will be a buzz about the club and it needs harnessing somehow. To be fair to the club they tried doing something this year with the incentive, it was as proved sadly going to fail this season. Everyone knew that but with a bit of tweaking could work for Darlo return. I guess it will depend on costs of moving to Darlo, we may not have any wriggle room at all.

Some fans have left because as you say they have decided the Non League slog is not for them.
Some don't want to travel to Bishop.
Some have found out that being a fans owned club isn't quite what they expected and they have walked away.

You only have to look on here with a vast difference in opinion of what we should do and how much information should be released, we are still getting to grips with the fans owned club. In one sense nothing has changed in regards to the club board, you don't get to vote them on and you can't put yourself forward as far as I know. Although the club gives so much more information than you got previously and is slowly getting to grips with trying to give the fans more of a voice.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:14 pm

QuakerPete wrote:I've yet to be convinced that reducing crowds are primarily the result of increased ticket prices. It seems more complicated than that, with the initial feel good factor wearing off to an extent for some fans.
Your right that nothing really would have helped whilst we are in Bishop and not sure what affect it will have when back in Darlington. The Board I would say have probably made the right decisions as reduced prices wouldn't help whilst in Bishop but Robbie is right it is taking more from those fans as opposed to increase the fan base. This is the strategy and has probably proven as the right path whilst in Bishop.

However we are pretty much the most expensive ticket for our level, I don't think a ticket deal is maybe the right term, more is it feasible to reduce price and maybe increase attendances upon return to Darlo. We need to look to turn those who will turn up to at least 10/12 games in the reasonable weather and try and get them to come to cold January nights because they now have a season ticket.

Moving back to Darlo is a one off chance, they will be a buzz about the club and it needs harnessing somehow. To be fair to the club they tried doing something this year with the incentive, it was as proved sadly going to fail this season. Everyone knew that but with a bit of tweaking could work for Darlo return. I guess it will depend on costs of moving to Darlo, we may not have any wriggle room at all.

Some fans have left because as you say they have decided the Non League slog is not for them.
Some have found out that being a fans owned club isn't quite what they expected and they have walked away.

You only have to look on here with a vast difference in opinion of what we should do and how much information should be released, we are still getting to grips with the fans owned club. In one sense nothing has changed in regards to the club board, you don't get to vote them on and you can't put yourself forward as far as I know. Although the club gives so much more information than you got previously and is slowly getting to grips with trying to give the fans more of a voice.
We have been pretty much the most expensive ticket for a good few years now Les in one way or another and I know we need money to keep us going but people are struggling to make ends meat up there especially with boro, Sunderland and Newcastle on the door step too... I know this season I won't be travelling up to every game as I've previously done for 20 odd years it's just costing too much in diesel so living in york I may do more away games due to my location, I know that don't help the club but I feel I've put my fair share in to darlo and I will continue to do so Its the club I love but it's the sign of the times I'am afraid. It's just not attractive enough these days and I hate saying that....Shame

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:22 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:

We have been pretty much the most expensive ticket for a good few years now Les in one way or another and I know we need money to keep us going but people are struggling to make ends meat up there especially with boro, Sunderland and Newcastle on the door step too... I know this season I won't be travelling up to every game as I've previously done for 20 odd years it's just costing too much in diesel so living in york I may do more away games due to my location, I know that don't help the club but I feel I've put my fair share in to darlo and I will continue to do so Its the club I love but it's the sign of the times I'am afraid. It's just not attractive enough these days and I hate saying that....Shame

If this is the way most fans think you wont be able to watch the away games as well as we will not be able to survive and that would be a shame. (Not getting at you by the way.) :(

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:12 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:

I know it pains me to say it.....

SFG

Post by SFG » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:25 pm

What does this footnote on the official site mean? Do we have to buy "away" tickets via Spennymoor?

"Darlington Football Club wish to add for clarity, that due to the club being unable to agree to Spennymoor’s terms, match tickets for this game will not be available for purchase from DFC or Quaker Retail"

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:41 pm

SFG wrote:What does this footnote on the official site mean? Do we have to buy "away" tickets via Spennymoor?

"Darlington Football Club wish to add for clarity, that due to the club being unable to agree to Spennymoor’s terms, match tickets for this game will not be available for purchase from DFC or Quaker Retail"
yep

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:44 pm

Well this seems a bit of a mess, glad the details are out and i will be going, but expect a lot of unhappy Darlo fans