Newcastle Benfield game

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Newcastle Benfield game

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:02 pm

Surprised there's been nothing mentioned so far.

We lost 2-1. It wasn't a great game, more your typical pre-season match.

Plenty of players needed the run out. Armstrong and Dowson started the first half, with Hatch at CB.

Hatch went up front with Purewal in the 2nd half and this was the strongest pairing in the match, although MG will want more time to decide which is his best pairing.

We were missing Portas, Hopson, Scott and Robinson, so had Gary Brown and Adam Cocks in CM. It didn't work particularly - Brown is not a CM and I hope Gray doesn't try to shoehorn him into the side, just for the sake of starting him.

Thommo also struggled to get into the game. He started on the right, then switched to the left. I hope that was just experimenting because when I've seen him, he's always been best in the free role.

None of the triallists stood out particularly. One guy (Nathan?) in the first half was mediocre. Another guy who didn't have a number, was a bit better but needs more time to prove himself.

Not brilliant but pre-season never is. We do definitely need at least one new player in midfield, maybe two.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo will

Re: Newcastle Benfield game

Post by Darlo will » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:29 pm

That lad without the number (and proper sized kit!) was outstanding in my opinion. I thought he made a great attacking impact when he came on and for a little stick he can tackle!

Have to agree about brownie! Hunter is an absolutely class player, no shifting him so it's between Whitie and brownie for the other position
We score when we want
we score when we want
we are darlo
we score when we want

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:41 pm

Nathan lad didn't show anything. The other lad was a big improvement on him. And was exciting. But didn't create much as an end product. But I'd like to see him a couple more times. He is tiny though.

As said. Brown is no centre midfielder. Thought cocks was okay actually. But with Leon to return and Portas to step in. Along with Robinson it's not too worrying.

I keep looking at Jack Walker. And I can't make my mind up. I keep thinking he will come good. But he need more time to grow into the position and I'm not sure that's a luxury we have.

Hatch is no centre half. Not bad in an emergency. But nothing has changed since last time he was with us. He has to play up front.

Amar looked alright with the ball at his feet when wide. I think we'll see a lot more of him there this year.

How good was Mark Convery's free kick!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:51 pm

Darlo will wrote:That lad without the number (and proper sized kit!) was outstanding in my opinion. I thought he made a great attacking impact when he came on and for a little stick he can tackle!

Have to agree about brownie! Hunter is an absolutely class player, no shifting him so it's between Whitie and brownie for the other position
Yep the lad came on the right handside in the second half must of went past his man and others so many times, the only things I would say is this didn't create lots of great openings. However saying that he was on the pitch as we were taking experience off and he was standing out. Certainly worth looking at, wonder if he was trial or youth?

Todays game was a general 1st pre-season game for us where Benfield were on at least 2nd game. Some reasonable link play between Armstrong and Dowson in the first half, Hatch looked pretty sharp. We certainly need the missing central midfielders back during pre-season, so we are ready from the off on 16th August. Cocks was reasonable in midfield today, gets the ball and keeps it, looks a bit nervous at times but if he gains in confidence is a promising youngster (probably needs loan time in the Northern League this season).

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:56 pm

dickdarlington wrote:I keep looking at Jack Walker. And I can't make my mind up. I keep thinking he will come good. But he need more time to grow into the position and I'm not sure that's a luxury we have.
Agree on Walker, not sure Gray is his biggest fan either but I think with development he could be a decent player but will Gray wait. I can imagine a back 4 of Galbraith, White, Hunter, Brown when we start.

Galbraith back into midfield for me and play Scott at left back or maybe Weldon if anything happens with him.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:52 pm

Wasn't Josh Bynoe was it?
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:27 pm

Haven't got a clue Sam. But he looked like Marti Pelliw's love child if that helps identify him. Think I'm showing my age there.

windyforce4

Post by windyforce4 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:19 am

The lad who played left wing/midfield is from southern team Slough. He has moved up here and is looking for a team. Credit to us for having a look at him.The lad who came on second half was tiny. We thought he was wearing tights until he made a tackle.Then we saw a glimpse of knee. We need to get smaller kit for him. Showed some real skill but was muscled off the ball quite easily. Totally different second half when whitey came on. Not only a class player but Marshaled the youth players well.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:42 am

Gray quoted in Echo yesterday:

Hatch, Armstrong and Portas are Gray’s only summer signings so far, but the Darlington manager revealed he is still in the market for more additions to his squad.

He said: “We’re still looking to add one or two players to the squad. The players in question are currently on trial at other clubs so we’ve just waiting to see what happens there, but hopefully we can add to the squad before the start of the season.”

Also in same article said that Scott won't be fit until end of pre-season (at best).

Agree with Super Les, why Brown is played in midfield & Galbraith at LB is beyond me.

Doesn't sound like we've got anything firm lined up with regards to midfield players so I hope the fixtures are kind to us when they come out on Thursday. We don't want any tough fixtures straight away because at the moment there is good chance that we'll start the season, just as we finished last, with a chronically understrength midfield.

JPearson97

Post by JPearson97 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:57 am

Hopefully we can get Weldon in because it'd free up Galbraith and then we'd have Robinson, Portas and Scott with potentially Hopson too.

Still feel as though we need one more though.

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:01 pm

il write a quick report later on when i have some time tonight but wasnt a bad game.

2nd goal for them was fortunate with Hunter hurting himself and them taking advantage.

Not that it really matters but only concern was Gray playing a few people in positions that arent their best.

Hatch -CB
Brown - CM
Thommo - LW/RW

Chris darlo1883

Post by Chris darlo1883 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:40 pm

Typical pre season friendly game yesterday hopefully get better as we go on ready for the start of the season!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:33 am

Sidarlo wrote:il write a quick report later on when i have some time tonight but wasnt a bad game.

2nd goal for them was fortunate with Hunter hurting himself and them taking advantage.

Not that it really matters but only concern was Gray playing a few people in positions that arent their best.

Hatch -CB
Brown - CM
Thommo - LW/RW
I wouldn't say that's the only concern.

Midfield fragility and worrying tendency to play aimless long balls, which happened a few times, also concern me.

But it'd be wrong to expect perfection from an opening pre-season match, so we'll see how it develops over the next few weeks.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

divas

Post by divas » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:13 pm

Looks like Weldon is coming back

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:15 pm

divas wrote:Looks like Weldon is coming back
Good, he didn't get a fair crack of the whip last time because of the injury but I liked what little I saw, frees up Galbraith to CM

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:41 pm

If the info is coming from the Tommo parody account, not sure how much credence i would put on that!!

divas

Post by divas » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:43 pm

Bogratsteve wrote:If the info is coming from the Tommo parody account, not sure how much credence i would put on that!!
Given its one of the players on the wind up then I'm sure they're ITK

TDS

Post by TDS » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:00 pm

Weldon was at Northallerton casual clothes like! Maybe people putting 2 and 2 together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:30 am

He was also at the photo session

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:36 am

Said last night hopefully he will be if fit