game v Sunderland VERY IMPORTANT NEWS

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

love it!
Team Supported: Darlington 1883

Re: game v Sunderland VERY IMPORTANT NEWS

Post by love it! » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:37 pm

lo36789 wrote:
love it! wrote:I'm fed up of the constant need to inject extra money into our club when we have had two full seasons in the wilderness of bishop Auckland.
You make it sound like after two season at Bishop we shouldn't have to? You are right about dwinding support but what can we do - they have some quite firm plans together for a return, but a return costs money.
love it! wrote:Surely we must be making money with shirt sales and other merchandise.
We do, but small margins, we don't sell enough volume to make up for it.
love it! wrote:I know Hilary Bites were wanting to greatly increase their costs
Hilarity Bites want to increase their costs? Completely lost me there. Do you mean Hilarity Bites want to increase their prices?
Hilary bites did the comedy night at Blackwell at a reduced cost. When the volunteers asked about arranging another event the costs they wanted to now charge meant it was going to be expensive.

Surely we must be selling a lot more shirts this season having them delivered so early. I know of at least 5 shirts which have been bought for this reason alone

m62exile
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by m62exile » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:40 pm

love it! wrote:
m62exile wrote:
love it! wrote:I'm fed up of the constant need to inject extra money into our club when we have had two full seasons in the wilderness of bishop Auckland. It's abundantly obvious we won't be playing at Blackwell Meadow in the 14/15 and that's killing the club. I love our club but until we return to darlington the support our town offers will wain.

Surely we must be making money with shirt sales and other merchandise. I enjoyed the comedy night and hope the lovely volunteers manage to hold another similar event soon. I know Hilary Bites were wanting to greatly increase their costs which unfortunately may mean such an event may not be feasible.
I'm not too sure who your rant is aimed at, are you suggesting that the board could have managed to clear out quarter of a million in debt and built a new ground in less time?

Or is it just a general angry rant aimed at nobody and nothing in particular?
It was a generalised statement demonstrating my own frustrations. If when the club nearly died we were told we would have been out of town for 3 seasons I'm not so sure everyone would have donated so much money. I'm moving close to Blackwell Meadows shortly and would be over the moon to purchase a season ticket once we return to town.
Looking on the bright side, six months ago I thought we'd be toast by now, so if we can indeed get back to town during the third season I think it would be pretty remarkable. Having said that, my enthusiasm for the trek out to Bishop is waning also - but we're hopefully through the worst now and maybe only have a dozen or so (optimistic I know) journeys before we're somewhere near.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:42 pm

love it! wrote:
m62exile wrote:
love it! wrote:I'm fed up of the constant need to inject extra money into our club when we have had two full seasons in the wilderness of bishop Auckland. It's abundantly obvious we won't be playing at Blackwell Meadow in the 14/15 and that's killing the club. I love our club but until we return to darlington the support our town offers will wain.

Surely we must be making money with shirt sales and other merchandise. I enjoyed the comedy night and hope the lovely volunteers manage to hold another similar event soon. I know Hilary Bites were wanting to greatly increase their costs which unfortunately may mean such an event may not be feasible.
I'm not too sure who your rant is aimed at, are you suggesting that the board could have managed to clear out quarter of a million in debt and built a new ground in less time?

Or is it just a general angry rant aimed at nobody and nothing in particular?
It was a generalised statement demonstrating my own frustrations. If when the club nearly died we were told we would have been out of town for 3 seasons I'm not so sure everyone would have donated so much money. I'm moving close to Blackwell Meadows shortly and would be over the moon to purchase a season ticket once we return to town.
I thought you were going to buy a season ticket for this season? I don't recall any pre-condition that we had to be playing at Blackwell Meadows. Of course your's (and others) abstinence will make that move all the harder for us to achieve. Maybe you don't love the club as much as you think.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:46 pm

love it! wrote: Hilary bites did the comedy night at Blackwell at a reduced cost. When the volunteers asked about arranging another event the costs they wanted to now charge meant it was going to be expensive.

Surely we must be selling a lot more shirts this season having them delivered so early. I know of at least 5 shirts which have been bought for this reason alone
The costs were shared I believe as they also performed in Aycliffe on the same night. The night itself made around £500 maybe a little more, so it's going to take a lot of these nights for us to attend to get back.

Did you honestly think 2 years ago when Craig McKenna said back in a year that we would be?

Let's face it though we actually would have been but only if Mowden had wanted to share.

So how manby shirts do you think we sell 300/400? Even if we did it's still only 3k/4k profit. I know you used to volunteer in the shop from your pevious comments so do you know how many we sell and exact profit per shirt.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:48 pm

SAFC1879 wrote:
fozzovmurton wrote:
charlie wrote:
fozzovmurton wrote: Will try sort something out then, I have something else on on Saturday so can't get to Quaker Retail...will sort something out, will have to get one from Sunderland if it comes to that

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Good luck with that marra, SAFC fans need about 20 loyalty points to even apply for a ticket.
When I had a look on safc.com it said there would be a general sale, I had to look back to find the general sale was subject to availability, so I can pretty much forget that

442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:04 pm

I have to say I'm amazed at how many tickets we've sold, 350 is embarrassing. I could have understood it if it was a youth team or a reserve XI but it has been well documented that it is sunderland's first team.

Unless there is a late surge in ticket sales in the week leading up to the game (depending on when they are due to be sent to Sunderland) then by all means give them to Sunderland, get them through the door beggars can't be choosers and all that.

When Sunderland have put themselves out to help us the response from our end so far has been dismal.

However upon reading this thread there are a couple of points I would like to make and I would also like to point out I am not targeting anyone personally.

1. Bishop Auckland - Yes being out of town isn't ideal, it has been difficult and the impact it's had is there for us all to see.

Yes we all want to get back into town ASAP but it is not a quick process, we all must understand the restricted financial position the club is in. Paying off the debt from the previous regime as well as trying to climb back up the leagues.

The days of sugar daddy owners are over and we've come cap in hand too many times in to short a period and as a result the majority of the goodwill & sympathy of the townsfolk has gone, so the good times in that respect are also over.

Stop moaning, let's grow some bollocks and deal with it. Personally I think we are doing fantastically well to average crowds of 1,100 despite being located out of town and (with the utmost respect) the level we're playing at.

Stop complaining get yourselves to Heritage Park and get behind MG and the lads, that's what you go for, if you can't do it for them you may as well walk away now.

Remember that BAFC could also have told us where to go how does playing at the RA in the wearside league sound? Or stagnating in the Northern League at Shildon? (Again no disrespect intended)

2. The Arena/Mowden - we left the arena for a reason and when we left there was no going back, stop bleeting on about it.

Mowden acquired it fairly after we'd left and it was disused and available for sale, they chose to take it on and good luck to them. If they wish to be a standalone club so be it they have absolutely no obligation to share with us.

Yes it's desperately sad how things worked out there, but it's over now we must move on. People also need to realise it's highly unlikely mowden would allow us to rent it on the cheap - or for free as I would assume the case was with the Sunderland friendly.

The rent would have been substantially higher there, with the inherent debt and other overheads, in my opinion it would have amounted to financial suicide. We could not have sustained it on £8 a game in the Northern League and £9 as it currently is in the EvoStik North.

You could argue that Mowden are managing with crowds of 200 at £7 but they had a healthy sum of money in the bank when they moved in, we don't have that luxury.

Sorry for a long winded/ranting post but I needed to get it off my chest!
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

divas

Post by divas » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:22 pm

Surely you've nothing left to get off your chest regarding the arena since you do it on such a regular basis?

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:29 pm

I only discussed it cause it was brought up in the thread and also it wasn't the soul subject of my post?

And yes I did vent my hatred of it on here and I offer no apologies for it.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:20 pm

quaker4life wrote:I only discussed it cause it was brought up in the thread and also it wasn't the soul subject of my post?

Whilst I agree with a lot you wrote the only reason the Arena was mentioned was that it was the only viable option to get back to Darlo in a year and not that anyone even suggested it was a good idea.

It was certainly something we investigated and to be quite honest once BM comes off I think we will all be thankful of Morden’s decision.

The last 2 and half years have taken its toll on the fans but bright times are around the corner, we just need to stick together and keep supporting. As fans we are the biggest risk of our club not achieving what we hope for.

MCFC Darlo 2
Team Supported: Darlington & Man City

Post by MCFC Darlo 2 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:23 pm

How do I get a couple of tickets fot this game,calling in on way back from Hearts?

MCFC Darlo 2
Team Supported: Darlington & Man City

Post by MCFC Darlo 2 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:26 pm

charlie wrote:
fozzovmurton wrote:Will I be able to order tickets over phone or online??? skint till Saturday though

We can't take payment over the phone yet but it is something that were working on. Andrew has offered to keep Quaker Retail open till two pm on Saturday so it'll be open 9am till two pm on Saturday
Could I order a couple and collect on the day.I put in to Back to Darlo every month but just do aways as a rule.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:52 am

Anyone know the Quaker retail opening times for today and tomorrow?

DarloTrustSec

Post by DarloTrustSec » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:00 am

D_F_C wrote:Anyone know the Quaker retail opening times for today and tomorrow?
Open until 2pm today. Not open Sunday

DarloTrustSec

Post by DarloTrustSec » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:00 am

MCFC Darlo 2 wrote:
charlie wrote:
fozzovmurton wrote:Will I be able to order tickets over phone or online??? skint till Saturday though

We can't take payment over the phone yet but it is something that were working on. Andrew has offered to keep Quaker Retail open till two pm on Saturday so it'll be open 9am till two pm on Saturday
Could I order a couple and collect on the day.I put in to Back to Darlo every month but just do aways as a rule.
I'll pm you.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:40 pm

DarloTrustSec wrote:
D_F_C wrote:Anyone know the Quaker retail opening times for today and tomorrow?
Open until 2pm today. Not open Sunday
Thanks, I've got my ticket

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:23 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
quaker4life wrote:
As fans we are the biggest risk of our club not achieving what we hope for.
I think you are right. I think a malaise set in pre-season last year where friendlies were poorly attended compared to pre-season 2012/13. I accept friendlies have no purpose at all for the fans but it was still surprising. Crowds fell by up to a 1/3 by the start of the 2013/14 campaign which is difficult to comprehend after the highlights of the Northern League campaign. I actually don't think this is wholly attributable to playing out of a town although I accept that BM is a better base for connecting with the town.

The task of connection was made real to me when a colleague expressed sadness last xmas "that you don't hear about Darlo anymore". However, we must be careful that moving to BM isn't perceived as some magic wand as we still need to encourage people to make DFC the first option for people who enjoy watching live football. Some of the silly numbers about how crowds will increase by moving to BM just don't stack up to me. I can recollect ridiculously small crowds at Feethams. I hope I am wrong but we need to be cautious.

As for this friendly, I don't think the marketing has been effective at all and that is not a criticism of anybody, just an observation of how difficult it is to run a non-professional club.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:26 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
quaker4life wrote:I only discussed it cause it was brought up in the thread and also it wasn't the soul subject of my post?

Whilst I agree with a lot you wrote the only reason the Arena was mentioned was that it was the only viable option to get back to Darlo in a year and not that anyone even suggested it was a good idea.

It was certainly something we investigated and to be quite honest once BM comes off I think we will all be thankful of Morden’s decision.

The last 2 and half years have taken its toll on the fans but bright times are around the corner, we just need to stick together and keep supporting. As fans we are the biggest risk of our club not achieving what we hope for.

I agree with your sentiments but as I said in the original post it was not aimed at anyone personally, so my comments were not intended as a direct response to one specific post earlier in the thread, it was a response to a collection of comments I've seen here and heard elsewhere.

It just got to me how some people seemed to think Mowden had an obligation to share the Arena with us and they also seem to have very short memories and forget why we left in the first place, hence why I titled that paragraph "Arena/Mowden".

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:22 pm

[quote="charlie"]We shouldn't take the fact that it'll be a sell out for granted though. If we want bigger clubs to help us it doesn't look very good if we don't sell many tickets ourselves :-/[/q

How many have we now sold? and whats the cut off time before our unsold tickets
go to the Sunderland supporters?
Cheers.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

charlie

Post by charlie » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:48 pm

poppyfield wrote:
charlie wrote:We shouldn't take the fact that it'll be a sell out for granted though. If we want bigger clubs to help us it doesn't look very good if we don't sell many tickets ourselves :-/[/q

How many have we now sold? and whats the cut off time before our unsold tickets
go to the Sunderland supporters?
Cheers.
Pass and pass, I've not been in shop since Wednesday, I'm back in tomorrow. I have no idea when cut off is, awaiting instruction from the board same as everyone else

grytters

Post by grytters » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:53 pm

cameron-darlo wrote:To be fair it hasn't been advertised very well. I've seen nothing around the town. posters etc. If Sunderland are making the effort to send their first team, the least we could do is make the effort to advertise it better.

A lot of the people I've spoken to about it didn't have a clue it was on, If people don't know about it then how can they get tickets?

One of the places it could be promoted might be here, perhaps, rather than having last year's fixture list?

http://darlofc.co.uk/fixtures
Bring Back the Quarters

swadquaker

Post by swadquaker » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:24 pm

I hate to even mention the Arena or keep a thread on it going but if they only get gates of 200 at £7, where does the income come from? Sure they may have had money in the bank but eventually that runs out.

Mrs_Money_Penny

Post by Mrs_Money_Penny » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:03 pm

grytters wrote:
cameron-darlo wrote:To be fair it hasn't been advertised very well. I've seen nothing around the town. posters etc. If Sunderland are making the effort to send their first team, the least we could do is make the effort to advertise it better.

A lot of the people I've spoken to about it didn't have a clue it was on, If people don't know about it then how can they get tickets?

One of the places it could be promoted might be here, perhaps, rather than having last year's fixture list?

One thing MJ admitted at the forum is that the board can only do so much and are relying on the volunteers who obviously have missed this but I will have to pass it on as I don't how to change it. Maybe we should have a thread on here for volunteers so that if anyone has an idea they can run with it or a volunteer can pick it up if it is something they can do.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:05 pm

Mrs_Money_Penny wrote:
grytters wrote:

One thing MJ admitted at the forum is that the board can only do so much and are relying on the volunteers who obviously have missed this but I will have to pass it on as I don't how to change it. Maybe we should have a thread on here for volunteers so that if anyone has an idea they can run with it or a volunteer can pick it up if it is something they can do.

MJ is right but there is one easy thing we can do. Plaster this this fixture across the official web-site front page. There is not a mention of this match on the facing page. This would help with sharing the fixture (facebook/twitter etc) via link across social media. Social media is something we as individuals can do.

Mrs_Money_Penny

Post by Mrs_Money_Penny » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:55 am

Can somebody who is able change the fixtures on this site and also update the sticky for friendlies and can they contact whoever updates the official site. We missed a trick not doing posters but the volunteers have been very busty sorting out the shop moving/new shirts/season tickets. This will be sorted for home games next season as I know someone who has a plan to make it easier to reach as many outlets as possible.

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:01 am

sunderland's allocation have gone, any idea how many we have left?

Mrs_Money_Penny

Post by Mrs_Money_Penny » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:13 am

princes town wrote:
Mrs_Money_Penny wrote:
grytters wrote:

MJ is right but there is one easy thing we can do. Plaster this this fixture across the official web-site front page. There is not a mention of this match on the facing page. This would help with sharing the fixture (facebook/twitter etc) via link across social media. Social media is something we as individuals can do.
Cameron-Darlo plans are being formed for posters to go round town but help will be asked from supporters & CIC owners Apparently Mikky updates this site but with fixtures out today hopefully that is something in the pipeline.Have not found out who updates official site but again that should be in the pipeline.There is a stikky at the top of this page which has gone off topic so could somebody who is able update it as it gets plenty of views

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:06 am

Someone must know how many we have left? posters/stickkys on here ect. are fine for the future, in the time that is left, we should be promoting "Only 100 tickets left (what ever the figure is)
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:15 am

Really needs to be an outlet sales in town centre,maybe echo office people finding it difficult getting to Blackwell medows it seems.still tickets left for sunderlands game.
Come on let's make this a sellout.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:21 am

onewayup wrote:Really needs to be an outlet sales in town centre,maybe echo office people finding it difficult getting to Blackwell medows it seems.still tickets left for sunderlands game.
Sounds to me that if they are having difficulty getting to Blackwell Meadows to buy a ticket, it will be even harder to get to Bishop for the match. Similarly, it sounds like they will have difficulty getting to matches at Blackwell Meadows also!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:25 am

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
onewayup wrote:Really needs to be an outlet sales in town centre,maybe echo office people finding it difficult getting to Blackwell medows it seems.still tickets left for sunderlands game.
Sounds to me that if they are having difficulty getting to Blackwell Meadows to buy a ticket, it will be even harder to get to Bishop for the match. Similarly, it sounds like they will have difficulty getting to matches at Blackwell Meadows also!
Not really and your sarcastic response isn't particularly helpful.

People work, and the town centre is always easier to get to.

That's not a complaint but it is a factor for a lot of people. Getting to Bishop on a Saturday when you don't have to work won't be a problem for some people.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY