Hatch signs for Darlo

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

TFDM
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hatch signs for Darlo

Post by TFDM » Fri May 30, 2014 8:35 am

Can understand the reservations but Hatch is an exciting signing, no two ways about it. We know what he is all about and I think his presence up front will make us a real handful.

Like Divas says he should potentially suit the level very well. I really wouldn't fancy going up against him. Even when he didn't score he had a tendency to cause problems for the opposition.

Obviously there will be departures at some point during or before pre-season to balance things out. Hopefully we can start to focus on midfield and full back areas now.

Already looking forward to next season now.

JPearson97

Post by JPearson97 » Fri May 30, 2014 9:04 am

I'd rather not have Fisher or Purewal drop back into midfield, it'd just be a case of shoe-horning our better players into un-familiar positions and that isn't what we need.

Get around 2 or 3 players off the wage bill and bring in a bit of quality in midfield because that's exactly what we were crying out for last season.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Fri May 30, 2014 9:05 am

My first thought when I read this was to check the calendar, but it's not April 1st. Kinnell, I'm just gobsmacked. Another thought, if Amar stays, he could learn an awful lot from Liam about intimidating defenders. Although I love Amar, he always seems to have the potential to be a lot better than we've seen so far. :roll:

John Tempest

Post by John Tempest » Fri May 30, 2014 12:06 pm

A great signing all credit to MG for tying him up so quickly. Always a favourite of mine and he always gets the crowd going.

darlodave1974

Post by darlodave1974 » Fri May 30, 2014 12:11 pm

Welcome back Hatchy

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri May 30, 2014 12:59 pm

I have literally just blurted all over the place.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri May 30, 2014 1:02 pm

andi_darlo wrote:Maybe Fisher and purewal will be dropped back , I can see amar playing out wide if he's still here next season although not my favourite position for him, and maybe MG plans to mold Fisher into an attacking midfielder ?

Then a strike pairing of Armstrong, Dowson, hatch or ward is a hell of a selection headache !

:wtf:
I actually think Amar is as good if not better out wide.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri May 30, 2014 1:05 pm

TFDM wrote:Can understand the reservations but Hatch is an exciting signing, no two ways about it. We know what he is all about and I think his presence up front will make us a real handful.

Like Divas says he should potentially suit the level very well. I really wouldn't fancy going up against him. Even when he didn't score he had a tendency to cause problems for the opposition.

Obviously there will be departures at some point during or before pre-season to balance things out. Hopefully we can start to focus on midfield and full back areas now.

Already looking forward to next season now.
He had a decent not spectacular goal scoring record for us, but for me The HITMAN wasn't just about goals. I just loved his workrate, the way he was in yer face, was a great team player for me. Armstrong is there to score the goals...and we have others capable of scoring plenty.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Fri May 30, 2014 1:37 pm

Quakerz has hit it on the head. His goal scoring record after his first spell wasn't fantastic at all but I remember him being a pain in the arse to play against. Also remember him causing utter havoc in the box from set-pieces as well. Did we score many from corner kicks last season? I can't remember. Either way I'd expect a few more this time around as Hatch's presence from corners will unsettle people.

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Fri May 30, 2014 1:43 pm

Hatch and White against Droylesden......bodies everywhere lol
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Fri May 30, 2014 1:53 pm

Not been this excited since I saw Tino Asprilla at Feethams.

Amazing signing and exactly what we have missed.

Injuries are the only way this doesn't work out.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Fri May 30, 2014 1:55 pm

MikeinBlack2 wrote:Hatch and White against Droylesden......bodies everywhere lol
May not be able to film that.... not sure youtube allows snuff films on there... :lol:

shawry

Post by shawry » Fri May 30, 2014 2:15 pm

StevieMardenboro wrote:Not been this excited since I saw Tino Asprilla at Feethams.

Amazing signing and exactly what we have missed.

Injuries are the only way this doesn't work out.
An exciting signing, but Im not sure I can go along with it being exactly what we missed.

Getting goals hasn't really been the problem, it was getting into position to get them (if that makes sense).

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri May 30, 2014 2:21 pm

Should be a great signing. His game is all about being physical, so should have no problem adapting to this level. He is of course a good footballer too, so he should be a big player for us. It will be interesting to see which of our forwards leave now we have signed Hatch and Armstrong.

Strikers aren't really what we needed, but turning down the chance to sign someone like Hatch would be a bit silly. I'm sure MG knows we still need strengthening in midfield and full backs, and I expect to see some more arrivals in those positions.

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Fri May 30, 2014 2:25 pm

Quakerz wrote:I have literally just blurted all over the place.
Sadly I had a vision of you 'blurting' when I heard the news!

:thumbdown:

Great news on paper, I hope he's not well passed his best though.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri May 30, 2014 3:08 pm

comeondarlo wrote:
Quakerz wrote:I have literally just blurted all over the place.
Sadly I had a vision of you 'blurting' when I heard the news!

:thumbdown:

Great news on paper, I hope he's not well passed his best though.
That was my initial thought. He is now over 32 which for a striker is old.

However, his fitness levels from being a full time professional and his vast experience should counteract the effect of his age. He will have the experience to read the game better than most at NPL level.

The top of the NPL 1N will be very competitive next season

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Fri May 30, 2014 3:10 pm

The HITMAN?! Bloody hell. Fair play Gray. Double-backflip-with-full-pike of a signing, Id be cartwheeling if we signed him a few leagues higher up.

Proper fans' player who came to the Green Man boozer after we won at Wembley and will risk his life to stick arse, knees and elbows on a ball bouncing round the box. Great to have him at the club, and hopefully a boost for season tickets / convincing other transfer targets. Anyone being intentionally contrary and questioning the guy must have already become bored of life itself.

I'd like to quote a sermon by the reverend Jazz Maverick on the occasion of the last time we signed The HITMAN...

Jazz Maverick wrote:Im going to have his face tattooed over my real face, so whenever I look in the mirror its as if The Hitman is staring back.

viewtopic.php?f=2&p=76783

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Fri May 30, 2014 3:44 pm

wow somebody has already updated his Wiki page!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liam_Hatch

swadquaker

Post by swadquaker » Fri May 30, 2014 3:50 pm

Am I imagining this? My memory was of a real handful up front, but later on defensively wasnt he awesome?

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Fri May 30, 2014 3:56 pm

swadquaker wrote:Am I imagining this? My memory was of a real handful up front, but later on defensively wasnt he awesome?
No your not imagining it he played a number of games as a center back i think and also trained as a goalkeeper when we had no cover for Sam.

So may be MG has brought him in as a midfielder :lol: :lol:

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Fri May 30, 2014 5:36 pm

Obviously not many here saw the Cambridge Utd v Gateshead game at Wembley on telly last week. Hatchy came on as a sub late on but had an immediate impact with his aerial superiority in the box, his running and hold up skills when the ball was lumped forward (which was often) and his shear physical presence. He had Cambridge all at sea single handedly. Very impressed with his late contribution and so was the commentary team.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Fri May 30, 2014 8:03 pm

AIDO wrote:Obviously not many here saw the Cambridge Utd v Gateshead game at Wembley on telly last week. Hatchy came on as a sub late on but had an immediate impact with his aerial superiority in the box, his running and hold up skills when the ball was lumped forward (which was often) and his shear physical presence. He had Cambridge all at sea single handedly. Very impressed with his late contribution and so was the commentary team.
Awesome, that sounds just like how I remember him.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri May 30, 2014 8:33 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
AIDO wrote:Obviously not many here saw the Cambridge Utd v Gateshead game at Wembley on telly last week. Hatchy came on as a sub late on but had an immediate impact with his aerial superiority in the box, his running and hold up skills when the ball was lumped forward (which was often) and his shear physical presence. He had Cambridge all at sea single handedly. Very impressed with his late contribution and so was the commentary team.
Awesome, that sounds just like how I remember him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U__oFc3VAzc

Here are the highlights for anyone interested.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Fri May 30, 2014 10:05 pm

Yes, I watched that game and I agree with everything you say. Nice to see Darlo get mentioned so many times in that commentary too!

Great signing and great to have him back.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Sat May 31, 2014 8:50 am

In today's Echo

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/ ... ?ref=var_0

It seems it was Hatch who made the first move

Darl-Zero

Post by Darl-Zero » Sat May 31, 2014 4:03 pm

I'd have him back
as a defender. The attacking option is just a bonus.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:10 am

Darl-Zero wrote:I'd have him back
as a defender. The attacking option is just a bonus.
I hope you are kidding. Like the last time, when you suggested knocking down the ends at the Arena, and replacing them with tin sheds. :roll:

Talking about Hatch, just had a read of the Gateshead forum, and no one, I mean no one, has slagged him off. Reading between the lines, he can still do a job in the Conference. One Heed fan even said "that's an unreal signing for Darlo"

That will do for me.

That's some strike force, Armstrong and The HITMAN!

With the likes of Fisher, Dowson, Purewal as well (I realise one will probably have to go, but I wouldn't like to pick), we're looking good.

The Big Dawg

Post by The Big Dawg » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:38 am

Fuck me, I havent posted on here for a while but had to come back when I heard this news.

What a signing. How can anyone have reservations about someone with a workrate and all round contribution like Hatch's. As for that turbospaz Spen666 saying '32 is old for a striker', well.....I dont even know where to begin with that pearl of wisdom.

Shore up at the back, get our wide players producing more and we are fucking dangerous next season.
I AM JAZZ MAVERICK

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:57 am

The Big Dawg wrote: As for that turbospaz Spen666 saying '32 is old for a striker', well.....I dont even know where to begin with that pearl of wisdom.
Perhaps Spen666 should have warned Liverpool before they shelled out on Rickie Lambert. And as for Kevin Philips............

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:26 pm

The Big Dawg wrote:... As for that turbospaz Spen666 saying '32 is old for a striker', well.....I dont even know where to begin with that pearl of wisdom.

So 32 isn't old for a striker in football?

Think you may well find the majority of top strikers are under that age

however, if you take part of a quote of out contrext, what do you expect?

I also pointed out his experience and ability compensates for that, or are you suggesting he has not got the experience that comes with age?

I was making a balanced appraisal and praising his abilities

BTW, of the last 9 forwards to play for England, only 1 is 32 years old or over

Daniel Sturridge(1989-09-01) 1 September 1989 (age 24)
Wayne Rooney (1985-10-24) 24 October 1985 (age 28)
Danny Welbeck (1990-11-26) 26 November 1990 (age 23)
Rickie Lambert (1982-02-16) 16 February 1982 (age 32)
Jermain Defoe (1982-10-07) 7 October 1982 (age 31)
Andy Carroll (1989-01-06) 6 January 1989 (age 25)
Jay Rodriguez (1989-07-29) 29 July 1989 (age 24)
Theo Walcott (1989-03-16) 16 March 1989 (age 25)
Wilfried Zaha (1992-11-10) 10 November 1992 (age 21)