no bottle

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

super_les_mcjannet
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: no bottle

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:16 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:Wondered how long before someone mentioned AJ.
Yep fact is AJ left largely due to financial reasons, his sale meant we could have two players.

Gray has been spending his budget so appreciate it his job to find attacking central midfeiders and better players here and there, however budget wise we have had to move players out to get players in.

Gray, Atkinson and Dunn's job to bring players in but can anyone name some cheap excellent attacking central midfielders.

Gott and Galbraith last season were the best partnership I have seen over thelast 2 years.

Darlo Till I Die

Post by Darlo Till I Die » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:20 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Gott and Galbraith last season were the best partnership I have seen over thelast 2 years.
Couldn't agree more!
Our Football Clubs Are For Life Not Just For Business

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:22 pm

I don't buy the no bottle thing. We played too much long ball tonight early on. Couldn't get into the game and lost two weak goals.

The officials ruined any chance if us getting back into it. And I think that's what's hurting most. I don't mind losing fairly but that really hurts.

Still. The plan is two promotions in three years and getting back to the town. We're on target for that. And we're not far off in my mind. We finished second for goodness sake. One very bad night doesn't change that.

We haven't replaced Gott still as above. I still can't work out why Robinson was let go. Our midfield is the only problem area against the top sides. Has been all season. Mitchell looks half decent. We all know Thommo. It's in the middle. Robinson is not the answer. Neither is Brown. But that was circumstance today.

I just can't get how we ended up with nine men and they had eleven. How?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:23 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote: Gott and Galbraith last season were the best partnership I have seen over thelast 2 years.
If Gott had been getting his game earlier in the season I doubt he would have left.

knoxy5000

Post by knoxy5000 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:24 pm

Yep fact is AJ left largely due to financial reasons, his sale meant we could have two players.
Well he got rid of AJ and got fisher his long time target to replace him. Given the level that fisher tried and failed i would hazard a guess that he's on the same if not more than AJ would be. I got blasted for disagreeing with MG over this and its there on the boards but for me its more about personality's than anything else. MG likes fisher when for me he's not even cut for this level. If we do need to let people go to sign some creative talent in midfield, he for me would the first out of the door

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:29 pm

Think Robbie summed it up well. We didn't deserve to win but the game turned into a farce. Robinson should have been straight red carded for his tackle and Tait should have had one as well frankly.

It's frustrating the referee got the key match incidents wrong. We as a team didn't grab the game at all though. I didn't understand why Robinson ended up at right back and Brown was left as our only centre midfielder, he is a solid solid play but zero creative spark/centre midfield dominance.

cameron-darlo
Team Supported: Darlington, newcastle

Post by cameron-darlo » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:31 pm

Piss poor Ref. Tactically out witted, again. the 2 main people to blame for tonight are The ref, and Martin Gray. When a manager gets sent off about 4/5 times a season, there's no wonder why our players lose their heads instead of rising above other sides trying to get under their skins. Its happened more than once this season.

That Referee though, Just wow. By far the worst refereeing performance I've ever seen without a doubt. How the FUCK didn't their lad get sent off for the tackle on Scott?, To then go and send Thompson off was a disgrace. he was tripped. Why would he go down intentionally when he had a clear shot on goal? He's one of the most honest players I've seen in a Darlo shirt. No idea why, but the ref seemed Anti Darlo from the off and it completely ruined the game. there was no flow to the match, every little thing we did, it got pulled up yet Rammy got away with a lot including two clear red cards in my view (challenge on scott and the handball.) Our own tactics just weren't good enough either. This hoof ball shite has to stop. it doesn't work, simple as that. CM has been a massive problem all season and it needs sorting because the better teams take advantage of that and just pick us off.

Overall, Both the Ref and Gray to blame in my view, as well as some poor individual performances. a few players looked out of their depth. Especially Galbraith in the first half. not saying he's not good enough, but he's not an LB in my view. Much better in the middle of the park. Extremely frustrating from start to finish. Lets hope Gray pulls himself together and gets it right next season. needs to stop getting himself into bother because it only rubs off on the players like it did tonight.

We go again next season.

Darlo Till I Die

Post by Darlo Till I Die » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:38 pm

Did MG get binned? I didn't see this?
Our Football Clubs Are For Life Not Just For Business

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:42 pm

knoxy5000 wrote:
Well he got rid of AJ and got fisher his long time target to replace him. Given the level that fisher tried and failed i would hazard a guess that he's on the same if not more than AJ would be. I got blasted for disagreeing with MG over this and its there on the boards but for me its more about personality's than anything else. MG likes fisher when for me he's not even cut for this level. If we do need to let people go to sign some creative talent in midfield, he for me would the first out of the door
Fact is AJ leaving opened the door for 2 players (1 Wages & 1 from the fee), one of which was Fisher who most and I presume MG believed would be the same level as AJ if not better.

I didn't work out that way, sometimes you just have to admit to it. I don't believe we need to tear up the team we have but we do need a couple more players in the squad and those players need to be an increas in quality. Especially in the CM position and probably right midfield as Mitchell deserveas an opportunity at a professional club.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:45 pm

Darlo Till I Die wrote:Did MG get binned? I didn't see this?
Apparantely so. It was pretty obvious he was going to. Think he said something at half time.

We are in for a hefty fine i would have thought for the violence after. It was knuckle draggers, one of them tried to come in through the main entrance shouting for the referee! Fortunately we have cameras at the top of the main stand wonder if they will be prepared to contribute to the bill we will get.

Joe Tait gives a good summary on twitter. Can't blame anyone else for what happened. It leads a sour taste especially when you hear the Ramsbottom secretary say their player admitted it was a penalty on Thommo. Ultimately though we didn't do enough to win

We go again next year. There are only two teams who have taken 6points from us this season and it looks likely they will both be promoted. Good luck to Ramsbottom.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:47 pm

cameron-darlo wrote:
We go again next season.
I just died of cringing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

cameron-darlo
Team Supported: Darlington, newcastle

Post by cameron-darlo » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:17 pm

Spyman wrote:
cameron-darlo wrote:
We go again next season.
I just died of cringing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
If only.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:18 pm

I agree with this...
cameron-darlo wrote:Lets hope Gray pulls himself together and gets it right next season. needs to stop getting himself into bother because it only rubs off on the players like it did tonight
and thus........
Robbie Painter wrote:MG also got sent off again, 3rd or 4th time this season. This is simply not acceptable, sets a bad example and reflects badly on DFC.
Regardless of anything else he needs to get a grip of himself and stay where he should be.....................on the touchline. But who is there at the club to tell him this?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

divas

Post by divas » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:25 pm

Yup too many lost their heads tonight and we've ended up down to 9 men, our manager in the stands and "fans" fighting at the final whistle.

Ramsbottom set it up beautifully, got some very early nastiness in and then crucially got the goals which allowed them to simply goad Darlo and we obliged by falling right into the trap and come out of the game looking like the bunch of unproffesional, dirty bastards. The last 10 mins you could just sense it was going to boil over - obviously the ref has to take a lot of flack for that but still we (Gray) bangs on about what a professional set up we have but tonight discipline was certainly very amateur.

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:26 pm

The first person on that pitch tonight who failed to show any bottle was the ref. I'll only be repeating what others have said, but in failing to send off the player who broke Leon's leg / foot / ankle / whichever it is, he set the tone for the whole game. Couldn't care less whether it's 16 seconds into the game, a red is a red.

Once Rammy knew he was a soft touch they were getting a lot their own way. Not surprised our players didn't look like they wanted to tackle half the time.

The incident with Brown at the end of the first half (although I'm going off second hand info here, given I was in the tin shed) and the Thompson sending off stand out as other "high"lights of his performance as well. I'm pretty mild mannered but I think I'd struggle to keep my cool managing a team with a referee like that. Not surprised MG was wound up.

How we were the ones who ended up with less than 11 on the pitch at the end is beyond me.
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:40 pm

I agree with all that Mikky but Gray needs to manage, not piss about getting sent off, again. And I reckon that there is no one who will pull him up on this, because there doesn't appear to be dominant chairman type person at the helm.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:45 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:I agree with all that Mikky but Gray needs to manage, not piss about getting sent off, again. And I reckon that there is no one who will pull him up on this, because there doesn't appear to be dominant chairman type person at the helm.
I should probably have said so in my first post but I agree - I sympathise with him getting wound up - so were 1,800ish other people, but he does need to try and keep a lid on it.

If we had a player picking up three or four red cards a season we'd be asking questions. Same need to be asked of a manager who's in danger of spending as long out of the dugout as a certain Premier League boss who sticks his head in where it doesn't belong!
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

divas

Post by divas » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:50 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:I agree with all that Mikky but Gray needs to manage, not piss about getting sent off, again. And I reckon that there is no one who will pull him up on this, because there doesn't appear to be dominant chairman type person at the helm.
While there isn't a traditional figurehead chairman, there's a CEO to whom all are accountable to, as with any business.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:53 pm

knoxy5000 wrote:
divas wrote:
knoxy5000 wrote:We need better attacking players, we can't rely on Tommo all the time. For me season's biggest blunder was getting rid of AJ for fisher. AJ goals to game ratio was immense, fishers on the other hand is woeful. MG has to stand up and be counted. He needs to make better signings for the next season or its more of the same
We scored 102 goals. The second highest total in the league. We also conceded second fewest. Ultimately we were undone by a poor run at the beginning of the season when we hadn't adjusted to the league.

Play-offs are a lottery, even moreso when it's only 1 leg.

We'll be stronger just by virtue of having this season under our belt.
You said it yourself, second. AJ's goals with that would be first. Our other forwards are no where near his ratio. Dawson Purewal et al
Okay how about this one - we've got the BEST goal difference in the league.

We've lost the league through possibly being a little naive to its quality in the early stages and an inability to beat the better teams - this largely done to tactics than personnel IMO

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu May 01, 2014 1:19 am

The game would have been very different of they had been down to 10 men in the first minute, as they should have been. How a tackle that breaks somebody's leg isn't deemed to be dangerous, and thus a red card, is beyond me. Ramsbottom are clearly a very good team, and they play some great football. Even if the ref had been competent we would have been in for a very tough game. I don't like the brand of football we've played recently, although we have a lack of cms. After that challenge, we had a player just returned from long term injury, and a centre back playing in midfield. We were always going to struggle with that combination.

The players battled hard in the second half. The only person with no bottle was the referee. Ramsbottom are a very good team, and could very well have won with a component referee, but he was a disgrace and his impact on the game can't be underestimated as they should have been down to 10 men in the first minute.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu May 01, 2014 5:17 am

Can I just say. Just because a player breaks his leg/ankle does not mean it is a red card. There seems to be a bit of confusion over that. The logic is broken anyway since Leon got up and played on for a bit so how if a referee is sending him because it was a broken leg how is he supposed to know it is a broken leg?

I am waiting for the replay to come out to see the first tackle. I was distributing online sales tickets so missed it. A number of people bought and didn't show, or just turned up late despite knowing that it would be a volunteer having to give these out - which was very considerate of them.

Chris darlo1883

Post by Chris darlo1883 » Thu May 01, 2014 6:13 am

Couldn't agree more with super les comment we miss Gott and Galbraith in central midfield. I am still to see a better partnership over the last 2 years. We miss Harrison at full back and also Emms creativity and delivery from out wide.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Thu May 01, 2014 8:22 am

lo36789 wrote:Can I just say. Just because a player breaks his leg/ankle does not mean it is a red card.
Agreed.

I missed it too, just because I wasn't looking. There were enough people in the ground to see all of the contentious incidents and I haven't seen anyone say it wasn't a red card. Let's hope there is good footage because I really want to blame the officials for our downfall.

I was perfectly placed to see the ball down the left for the second goal was a long way offside. It wasn't even close.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Thu May 01, 2014 8:52 am

lo36789 wrote:Can I just say. Just because a player breaks his leg/ankle does not mean it is a red card. There seems to be a bit of confusion over that. The logic is broken anyway since Leon got up and played on for a bit so how if a referee is sending him because it was a broken leg how is he supposed to know it is a broken leg?

I am waiting for the replay to come out to see the first tackle. I was distributing online sales tickets so missed it. A number of people bought and didn't show, or just turned up late despite knowing that it would be a volunteer having to give these out - which was very considerate of them.
I don't even think intent matters - a bad tackle is bad tackle

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu May 01, 2014 8:58 am

Yellow card when I played, however times moved on. If the ref classed it as excessive foul play then the lad should have been sent off if he sees it a reckless then yellow was the correct decision.

Below is from FA Website

Careless, reckless, using excessive force
“Careless” means that the player has shown a lack of attention or
consideration when making a challenge or that he acted without precaution.
• No further disciplinary sanction is needed if a foul is judged to be careless
“Reckless” means that the player has acted with complete disregard to the
danger to, or consequences for, his opponent.
• A player who plays in a reckless manner must be cautioned
“Using excessive force” means that the player has far exceeded the necessary
use of force and is in danger of injuring his opponent.
• A player who uses excessive force must be sent off

Also

A player is guilty of violent conduct if he uses excessive force or brutality
against an opponent when not challenging for the ball.

Referees are reminded that violent conduct often leads to mass confrontation,
therefore they must try to avert this with active intervention.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu May 01, 2014 9:12 am

There was one moment when I knew the game had gone beyond him. There was a throwin signalled for Ramsbottom in the first half (clearly indicated by immitating a throw over his head) but play restarted with the ball on the ground and passing it out.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu May 01, 2014 9:19 am

I saw that one and it was absolutely ridiculous but he just let it go. Nearly as bad as in the second half when the ball was played through and Purewal would have been in on goal before it was handled by a Rams player. The ref saw it but took no other action other than the freekick and I think it was because he wasn't sure which player had committed the offence.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Thu May 01, 2014 9:21 am

lo36789 wrote:There was one moment when I knew the game had gone beyond him. There was a throwin signalled for Ramsbottom in the first half (clearly indicated by immitating a throw over his head) but play restarted with the ball on the ground and passing it out.
I'd forgotten about that, truly bizarre.

There was also an incident in the second half was the linesman raised his flag for a Ramsbottom offside but the ref ordered play on, can't work out his reasoning, from which they should have scored.

Looking forward to seeing the "highlights" to watch the contentious decisions again.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu May 01, 2014 9:22 am

lo36789 wrote:Can I just say. Just because a player breaks his leg/ankle does not mean it is a red card. There seems to be a bit of confusion over that. The logic is broken anyway since Leon got up and played on for a bit so how if a referee is sending him because it was a broken leg how is he supposed to know it is a broken leg
These were my thoughts last night. Gray needs to pipe down about this, and calm down. He should have been in the dugout for the second half, encouraging, organizing, managing. The players should be looking up to him not down!
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu May 01, 2014 9:24 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:The players should be looking up to him not down!
Well they do since he spends so much time at the top of the stand.