Goodbye Les and thanks for the photos

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

HairyJ
Team Supported: Darlington FC and now DRUFC

Goodbye Les and thanks for the photos

Post by HairyJ » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:49 pm

Thanks Les H, for all the photos and input to this site. Your time and efforts are appreciated by the fans, not just those who attend the matches but also those who live outside the region. Shame the club haven't offered a proper contract for the future.

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Goodbye Les and thanks for the photos

Post by lo36789 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:20 pm

???

Neil_Heaneys_Pace

Post by Neil_Heaneys_Pace » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:39 pm

Classy......

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_211 using Tapatalk

Darlo Till I Die

Post by Darlo Till I Die » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:15 am

He's escaped from the monkey hangers I think?
Our Football Clubs Are For Life Not Just For Business

olrad

Post by olrad » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:21 pm

Yes, a club near enough run by dedicated volunteers should pay a darlo fan to take pictures and then be free to do whatever he wants with them. Ding

uncovered
Site Admin

Post by uncovered » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:38 pm

Les did decide yesterday that He wasn't going to be staying next season as He needs to be earning money as he is not working any more. For many years the newspapers paid him, so He did it for nothing for the club, but the newspapers have got no interest in Darlington now, so He asked the club if he could get paid, the same as other people in the club, but they said no. The Club phoned him this morning and spoke to him regarding keeping him at the club, so he will be staying for the moment. He just can't afford to do it for nothing at the moment.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:04 pm

Can't disagree with the clubs decision. Not really something we can afford to be paying for that said we need something to stick in the programmes, so we will have to find cover for the position.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:06 pm

How much are we talking?
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

TDS

Post by TDS » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:52 pm

We should have no problem finding somebody who'll do it for nout? Great experience for somebody trying to forge a career/has a strong interest in this side.

Darlo Till I Die

Post by Darlo Till I Die » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:08 pm

TDS wrote:We should have no problem finding somebody who'll do it for nout? Great experience for somebody trying to forge a career/has a strong interest in this side.
Maybe get the local colleges or universities involved?
Our Football Clubs Are For Life Not Just For Business

Darlospike

Post by Darlospike » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:43 pm

Or whack 10 bob on the programmes to pay him a wage?, or is that too simple?

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:35 pm

uncovered wrote:Les did decide yesterday that He wasn't going to be staying next season as He needs to be earning money as he is not working any more. For many years the newspapers paid him, so He did it for nothing for the club, but the newspapers have got no interest in Darlington now, so He asked the club if he could get paid, the same as other people in the club, but they said no. The Club phoned him this morning and spoke to him regarding keeping him at the club, so he will be staying for the moment. He just can't afford to do it for nothing at the moment.
Didn't think we were paying anyone on a matchday apart from the obvious people like caterers who should be making us a profit?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:37 pm

I presume he would have meant kitman, physio but those are generally on the playing staff side as opposed to running of the club side.

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:04 am

I think we're in a lose lose situation here regarding Les, we can't realistically afford to pay him a wage and he can't work for nothing. Maybe we could pay him for pics used in the match day programme or if we use any in an advertising/promotional campaign? With free entry and food thrown in?

As was suggested maybe someone could use this opportunity to gain some credits on a college/university course? However I feel that without the pics a little bit of the Darlo FC experience will be gone.
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:20 am

MikeinBlack2 wrote:As was suggested maybe someone could use this opportunity to gain some credits on a college/university course? However I feel that without the pics a little bit of the Darlo FC experience will be gone.
We would still have pictures - it just wouldn't be les behind the camera.

It is a shame but I don't think we can afford to be paying for programme contributions, I understand we are working to small enough margins with the printing costs.

Who knows maybe there are some fans out there who would be interested in taking photos on matchdays - I guess the question is how much does it hamper your experience watching the game?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:09 am

As Scott has mentioned Les is staying for now, which is good news as his photos are always excellent.

It will be dissapointing if he stopped being the matchday/club photographer but you can see both sides, the club will struggle to spend on photography and Les would struggle to work for free.

I assume the club would still need a photographer, so I guess it's find some money for Les or use an amateur who would complete for free.

micra3

Post by micra3 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:35 am

Wonder if a company might sponsor Les ?
M I C R A 3

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:38 am

If a website appeal went out then i'm sure there would be several amateurs who will jump at the chance to hone their skills whilst wearing a hi viz vest, the whole thing is a shame as Les is a top bloke and always has time for a chat.

Big Tim

Post by Big Tim » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:39 am

Well this is some really disappointing news, truly gutted that someone with Les' love for the club and his brilliant character will be leaving, what a guy!

On the subject of finding a replacement for next season (if needed) I'd be more than happy to do it voluntarily, as has been said I am one of those people looking into a career in this area of work so I'd love to be able to have an opportunity as good as this in order to gain much needed exp.