Darlington FC V Radcliffe Borough

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

loan_star
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Radcliffe Borough

Post by loan_star » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:00 pm

dickdarlington wrote:Not saying Dowson deserves to be in the bench. I can't fault what he brings to the side. Or the effort he puts in. He has looked tired though. Probably since he tweaked his hamstring. But today he looked sharp again. Focussed. He was a real threat once more. Maybe it was as much as proving a point to Gray.
If I knew I was being subbed around 60 minutes every game no matter what I did despite anyone else being under par then it may tire me too!

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:24 pm

But is his 60 minute substitution intentional to get the most out of him without completely draining his energy? Two games a week with his intensive style of play is always going to take it out of a player. Especially on the wet winter pitches.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:14 pm

We will be in the playoffs i have no doubt, but if we play with 3 at the back we will get beat, better opposition would of creamed us today. Imo we should use these next few games to get our best 4 at the back playing together again, we know who we will playing in the playoffs and lets not kid ourselves against the stronger opposition we have not been at our best.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:59 pm

Maybe I wasn't paying attention but it looked to me like a standard flat back four to me. Walker, Hunter, Tait, Galbraith. In fact, I'm certain it was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:03 pm

m62exile wrote:Maybe I wasn't paying attention but it looked to me like a standard flat back four to me. Walker, Hunter, Tait, Galbraith. In fact, I'm certain it was.

I think your right...Probably because walker was out of position most of the game because he was pushing quite far up the field

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:08 pm

What game were you watching m62 at times I thought Walker was playing up front with Fisher he was that far forward. If they had a bit more about them we could and should have been two down.

As for the midfield please no more Brown & Scott they are woefull no creativity what so ever. If we go into the playoffs with those two we are doomed.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:16 pm

quakerste wrote: As for the midfield please no more Brown & Scott they are woefull no creativity what so ever. If we go into the playoffs with those two we are doomed.
Woefull's a bit harsh, they have played in midfield for the last 2 games of which we have won 2 games.

Granted I do agree, it's not a long term plan.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:19 pm

m62exile wrote:Maybe I wasn't paying attention but it looked to me like a standard flat back four to me. Walker, Hunter, Tait, Galbraith. In fact, I'm certain it was.
Wasn't sure if it was 3-4-1-2 or 4-4-2 to be honest today, thought we played both formations at certain times.

Didn't notice Walker bombing forward as much in the second half and Mitchell seemed to be playing right midfield, then Hopson took his place. Mitchell was on the left in the first half though. Thompson appeared to be roaming in the first half and more on the left in the second.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:29 pm

quakerste wrote:What game were you watching m62 at times I thought Walker was playing up front with Fisher he was that far forward. If they had a bit more about them we could and should have been two down.

As for the midfield please no more Brown & Scott they are woefull no creativity what so ever. If we go into the playoffs with those two we are doomed.
Not so sure, maybe Les has it right and it was both at times. At home against a poor team I'd have expected to see both full backs push on a lot in any case.

As of an overall impression, shite pitch, agree they could have scored a couple, but we could have scored 8 too. Aside from the last 20 minutes, it was pretty low on the entertainment scale.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:45 am

Wasn't sure if it was 3-4-1-2 or 4-4-2 to be honest today, thought we played both formations at certain times.(quote)

I think thats why we look so open at the back, when we have been beaten or struggled against teams we often here the phrases , "well drilled" "game plan" if say we play Lancaster whats our game plan going to be? we cant have players bombing forward, caught out of position or we will just get beat, in these one off games we need to be solid at the back, imo we cant wait till the first playoff game to get that right, we only have 1 chance, we have the players to win these games, but we need to go about it "well drilled and with a game plan"
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:33 am

Where was MG yesterday, is he serving his touch line ban?

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:36 am

Bogratsteve wrote:Where was MG yesterday, is he serving his touch line ban?
He was there, i saw him by the main stand.

Twintowers

Post by Twintowers » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:36 am

Don't think many will be happy with that performance yesterday.Yes we won,yes we got another 3 points to keep us second,but that was it.If MG is adamant about playing Gary Brown it can only be in the back four.Nearly everything he tried was off target or over hit.Granted he works his nuts off and breaks play up but that is all we've got with him and Leon in c/m.

What about moving Hunter to right back,Walker to left back(where he's played all season for Durham),and move Galbraith into the middle to try and give us some creativity in there.3points is always good but this hoofball we are watching will only get us so far and will hardly get the missing fans flocking back.

Discuss.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:37 am

Gray is banned from the dugout for a few games.
We started yesterday with a back 3 but they had 4 pushed forward so we had to change to a conventional system to counter their formation.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:41 am

Twintowers wrote:Don't think many will be happy with that performance yesterday.Yes we won,yes we got another 3 points to keep us second,but that was it.If MG is adamant about playing Gary Brown it can only be in the back four.Nearly everything he tried was off target or over hit.Granted he works his nuts off and breaks play up but that is all we've got with him and Leon in c/m.

What about moving Hunter to right back,Walker to left back(where he's played all season for Durham),and move Galbraith into the middle to try and give us some creativity in there.3points is always good but this hoofball we are watching will only get us so far and will hardly get the missing fans flocking back.

Discuss.
I agree that the Brown and Scott combination is not a good one. Also, what do we do with Alan White who I understand has been nominated for the leagues team of the season alongside Thompson, surely he deserves a place in the team too?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:45 am

poppyfield wrote:Wasn't sure if it was 3-4-1-2 or 4-4-2 to be honest today, thought we played both formations at certain times.(quote)

I think thats why we look so open at the back, when we have been beaten or struggled against teams we often here the phrases , "well drilled" "game plan" if say we play Lancaster whats our game plan going to be? we cant have players bombing forward, caught out of position or we will just get beat, in these one off games we need to be solid at the back, imo we cant wait till the first playoff game to get that right, we only have 1 chance, we have the players to win these games, but we need to go about it "well drilled and with a game plan"
What would be your midfield 4 in a 4-4-2, I don't think Gray knows and probably feels it is not strong enough, hence his tinkering with formations. With 4-4-2 most clubs nullify Thompson by ensuring two men on him at all times, by moving to a free role Thompson generally finds more space.

I understand Lancaster were excellent on the night, although if we had scored in the first half the game could have gone a different way. Lancaster having a good solid game plan isn't always the best either, I wouldn't particularly enjoy watching them play every week and at the moment they might not even make the playoffs.

The only time we have had a settled team this season has been 4-3-1-2 and that didn't last that long. (Bell, Harrison, Galbraith, White, Hunter, Robinson, Scott, Davis, Thompson, Purewal and Dowson. I don't think Gray has an idea on his best 11 as a team, possibly trying to fit players in at the moment but it's been one of those seasons and we still look most likely to finish 2nd.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:49 am

We have to many CB's of good quality lol

Brown has broken his nose again yesterday so may miss a game.

For me I would have Tait in DM role and Brown/Hunter at the back or White/Hunter

Anyone know when we will have Robinson back?

When Thommo was centre yesterday he made some cracking plays like he did last season, when he's wide he tends to just make runs/shots

Scott needs to improve a bit to keep his place at the moment

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:43 am

My team would be
Bell
Tait Brown White Walker
Michtell Hunter Galbraith
Thomson
Fisher Ward
Hunter is one of the best footballers we have and i am positive he could give us that steel in CM that we need. Walker has played LB, Galbraith playing where he shoulld be, and a back 4 as solid as we can get.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:47 am

poppyfield wrote:My team would be
Bell
Tait Brown White Walker
Thomson
Fisher Ward
Hunter is one of the best footballers we have and i am positive he could give us that steel in CM that we need. Walker has played LB, Galbraith playing where he shoulld be, and a back 4 as solid as we can get.
Tait at right back? Hunter at CM? Mitchell playing on the right side of a midfield 3?!

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:57 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Bell
Tait Brown White Walker
Thomson
Fisher Ward
Tait at right back? Hunter at CM? Mitchell playing on the right side of a midfield 3?!
Ok, so what would your team be?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:09 am

poppyfield wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
Bell
Tait Brown White Walker
Thomson
Fisher Ward
I'll leave that for MG to decide.

Let's be honest, does Tait really have the capabilities to be a full back? By this I mean getting up and down the wing as to what Galbraith/Walker do? Moving Hunter to CM would be ludicrous as he has been outstanding and consistent at centre half (my POTS). Mitchell playing as a centre midfielder seems a bit daft when he's an out-and-out winger and is more suited to skinning full backs than retaining the ball in centre midfield!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:10 am

We were all calling for a solid centre midfield partnership after we were spanked 4-0 at home to Curzon. We now have a midfield partnership that is physical and will not get over-run. I wasn't there yesterday but it seems the problem with the Brown/Scott partnership lies with the creativity of the two, not the breaking up of play and doing the dirty stuff which we so desperately needed a few weeks back. We may need to sacrifice some creativity in the centre in order to regain a more solid, compact shape to the team. We still scored 3 yesterday and, judging by the highlights, it could have been more.

Now I know that the Brown/Scott partnership isn't really a long-term solution by all means, however people wanting to make drastic changes to the midfield to increase the creativity there need to cast their minds back to the start of the season and the Curzon game. We have never lost with the Robinson/Scott partnership in the centre, coincidence?

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:13 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
poppyfield wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
Bell
Tait Brown White Walker
Thomson
Fisher Ward
leave that for MG to decide.

Let's be honest, does Tait really have the capabilities to be a full back? By this I mean getting up and down the wing as to what Galbraith/Walker do? Moving Hunter to CM would be ludicrous as he has been outstanding and consistent at centre half (my POTS). Mitchell playing as a centre midfielder seems a bit daft when he's an out-and-out winger and is more suited to skinning full backs than retaining the ball in centre midfield!
So you wont have a go at picking a team :)

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:14 am

Got to say I stuggle to pick a solid 11 these days for a number of reasons, on current form I would possibly look at the following.

(4-4-2)
Bell
Hunter, Tait, Brown, Scott
Mitchell, Robinson, Galbraith, Thompson
Dowson, Ward

This is probably harsh on Walker as I currently have not seen him enough and tried to fit Hunter and Tait in. Also harsh on White and my big question is will/do we want Joe Tait to sign for next season. If he is not going to play next season then do you swap White for Tait or even Hunter. Tough on Amar who has led the line all season but has looked jaded of late and Ward has come in fresh.

(3-4-1-2)
Bell
Tait, Brown, Hunter
Walker, Robinson, Galbraith, Mitchell
Thompson
Ward, Dowson

Again harsh on White and Amar. You also have Davis, Scott, Hopson options on the bench.

Maybe even

(4-3-1-2)
Bell
Robinson, Galbraith, Davis
Thompson
Ward, Dowson

All in all, I don't think Gray has a clue which formation to go for and is trying to match the formation against the opposition hence the change that appeared to happen yesterday.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:16 am

Twintowers wrote:Granted he works his nuts off and breaks play up but that is all we've got with him and Leon in c/m.
So what we've all been wanting since the Curzon game, then? A midfield partnership that'll be solid and help to break-up play?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:21 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
(4-3-1-2)
Bell
Thompson
Ward, Dowson
I quite like this one. I would maybe stick Walker at left-back and put Scott in for Davis however.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:33 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:
(4-3-1-2)
Bell
Thompson
Ward, Dowson
I quite like this one. I would maybe stick Walker at left-back and put Scott in for Davis however.
Yeah I think you could swap a few around and not see a major change in how we would perform as a team. White would and should be dissapointed not to be in any team, Amar would be obviously gutted, I always find Hopson looks much sharper when coming on as a sub (maybe getting around 30/35 minutes.)

Fisher has looked much sharper alongside Ward and I think Gray is getting him ready for the playoffs, in terms of if he comes on or Dowson gets injured he is confident/sharp enough to have an impact.

Dowson will no doubt start those games and I know many would put Dowson down as starting every week (me included), I think Gray has done the right thing to keep him fresh.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:28 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Got to say I stuggle to pick a solid 11 these days for a number of reasons, on current form I would possibly look at the following.

(4-4-2)
Bell
Mitchell, Robinson, Galbraith, Thompson
Dowson, Ward

This is probably harsh on Walker as I currently have not seen him enough and tried to fit Hunter and Tait in. Also harsh on White and my big question is will/do we want Joe Tait to sign for next season. If he is not going to play next season then do you swap White for Tait or even Hunter. Tough on Amar who has led the line all season but has looked jaded of late and Ward has come in fresh.

(3-4-1-2)
Bell
Tait, Brown, Hunter
Walker, Robinson, Galbraith, Mitchell
Thompson
Ward, Dowson

Again harsh on White and Amar. You also have Davis, Scott, Hopson options on the bench.

Maybe even

(4-3-1-2)
Bell
Thompson
Ward, Dowson

All in all, I don't think Gray has a clue which formation to go for and is trying to match the formation against the opposition hence the change that appeared to happen yesterday.
The problem here is Robinson is not fit, if he was he would be in my starting 11, and i would play Walker in place of Scott

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:24 pm

Can someone please correct the league table ..... That home win and three points by three goals to nil was very welcome and well merited so despite the negativity that seemingly abounds on here, at least lets see the results of our labours i.e. 81 points from 38 games and plus 55 gd in our first season at this level ..... It might cheer one or two people out there up ......

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:55 pm

AIDO wrote:Can someone please correct the league table ..... That home win and three points by three goals to nil was very welcome and well merited so despite the negativity that seemingly abounds on here, at least lets see the results of our labours i.e. 81 points from 38 games and plus 55 gd in our first season at this level ..... It might cheer one or two people out there up ......
Dont get me wrong i am very happy with the way this season has gone, if anybody at the start of the season had said you wont win the league but you will finish second and be in the playoffs,you have taken that, we all would, but now we have a chance of been promoted again how good would that be.
For me the the team has some great defenders and more good forwards than you can shake a stick at, but the midfield since we lost Jordan Robinson to injury has lost its way,Brown/Scott in the middle is not the answer, as was plain to see on Saturday, although we have good defenders we are to open at the back, MG watched the game from the stand on Saturday so he will of seen what needs to change. 1 chance.