v Bolton Wanderers 14/11/60

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

quakerdile
Team Supported: Darlington

v Bolton Wanderers 14/11/60

Post by quakerdile » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:42 pm

Thank you for the replies to my previous posts. I am planning to write an article on the above match, and I am looking for information to the: lead up, actual match night, and post game reports etc. Would be extremely grateful to supporters who can help!

Cheers

Barry

swadquaker

Re: v Bolton Wanderers 14/11/60

Post by swadquaker » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:24 pm

I remember the expectation, having just beaten West Ham(amazing atmosphere when we scored after about 15 seconds). Also Joe Rayments ridiculously long shorts shimmying. I think we were winning 1-0 but the killer goal was a cross along the ground that our keeper fumbled it it agonisingly rolled over the line.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:16 pm

Certainly there was massive anticipation for this match, and why not with England's Nat Lofthouse and Eddie Hopkinson in the oppositions line up.
After a poor start to the season we had gone on a good run with 9 wins, three draws and only 2 defeats before the Bolton match. Played out of our skins the blokes around me said. Although I was present I saw next to bugger all as I was only 11 and less than 5 foot tall in what still is our record home crowd of over 21,000.
This game was just 2 weeks before our epic F.A Cup marathon against Hull City, which ran to four replays, in the days before penalty shoot outs. Still a record I believe. How could any kid not become a life long supporter after that season.
Darlington 1883 my arse, we are still Darlington F.C and this is our history.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:40 am

banktopp wrote:Certainly there was massive anticipation for this match, and why not with England's Nat Lofthouse and Eddie Hopkinson in the oppositions line up.
After a poor start to the season we had gone on a good run with 9 wins, three draws and only 2 defeats before the Bolton match. Played out of our skins the blokes around me said. Although I was present I saw next to bugger all as I was only 11 and less than 5 foot tall in what still is our record home crowd of over 21,000.
This game was just 2 weeks before our epic F.A Cup marathon against Hull City, which ran to four replays, in the days before penalty shoot outs. Still a record I believe. How could any kid not become a life long supporter after that season.
Darlington 1883 my arse, Feck the Football Association, we are Darlington F.C and this is our history.
This. :roll:

HairyJ
Team Supported: Darlington FC and now DRUFC

Post by HairyJ » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:15 pm

Crowd was so big, my Dad lifted me over the corrogated iron fence around the pitch and I was sat on the grass, having to move when throw-ins were being taken. Bolton had the legendary Nat Lofthouse if my recollection is right, mind I was only 7 at the time. Took ages to find my Dad after the match due to the crowd and also finishing in the dark. Seared into my brain & still a fan after all these years