Dan Burn

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

MikeinBlack2
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Dan Burn

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:08 pm

It's OK freeing the debt, but we still need an awful lot of money to see the season out don't we? Surely that must be the priority otherwise there's no point. Maybe use £50K to ensure the season is complete and £25K to take a chunk of the debt? Just a thought.
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

shawry

Post by shawry » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:12 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Fatty eats roadkill wrote:Use the lot to pay off the current debt.

I'm sick of hearing we need cash AND it takes the pressure off of the fundraiser!

Interest on £50k or whatever is nowt!
It doesn't clear the debt though? It covers half of it.

We have an obligation to pay £5k per month. I don't know the ins and outs though if we pay off £75k now do we still have to pay £5k per month after that but for a shorter period (because that is no good)? Or can we then pay £2.5k per month?

The result is the same really, we are going to be paying off debt until the period originally agreed. The interest is nothing so that wouldn't be the deciding factor.
As long as the money is used in its entirety I dont care how thats achieved, set up yet another account and do a 5k direct debit every month if it works, just need to avoid it being used to supplement a hike in playing budget, or some other purchase.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:39 pm

Very good day all round for ex Darlo players.
Ryan Valentine with two goals for Bala, Ryan Bowman for York, Jamie Chandler and Liam Hatch both for Gateshead.

ted_do

Post by ted_do » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:07 pm

without counting chickens, this is absolutely fantastic news. it about time we had a little windfall and this could set us up and stop the financial wobbles, which with 1000 fans attending and part-time outgoings a club of our size should not be having crisis after crisis we should be building sound foundation and money in the bank. For me the Burn money is best used to pay off debt as I think fund raising for a return to Darlo has a focus and something tangible for our money.

Add in the six goals from today and I feeling a lot more optimistic for a successful 2014

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:10 pm

MikeinBlack2 wrote:It's OK freeing the debt, but we still need an awful lot of money to see the season out don't we? Surely that must be the priority otherwise there's no point. Maybe use £50K to ensure the season is complete and £25K to take a chunk of the debt? Just a thought.
Even behind your scaremongering you still don't seem to understand. The debt IS the thing that is threatening the future of the club. By paying a substantial amount of it off it will help the club no end.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:12 pm

MikeinBlack2 wrote:It's OK freeing the debt, but we still need an awful lot of money to see the season out don't we? Surely that must be the priority otherwise there's no point. Maybe use £50K to ensure the season is complete and £25K to take a chunk of the debt? Just a thought.
Where have you heard that? The point people have been making is that £5k per month is currently going towards debt and that is where we have our problem seeing out the season.

If we don't have to worry about debt repayments as much (ie. Dan Burn covers us for the next 15months) then we are fine.

That is my understanding anyway?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:16 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Where have you heard that? The point people have been making is that £5k per month is currently going towards debt and that is where we have our problem seeing out the season.

If we don't have to worry about debt repayments as much (ie. Dan Burn covers us for the next 15months) then we are fine.

That is my understanding anyway?
Yes, I believe that to be the case. It's important for people to understand that there is no black hole within the club where vasts amounts of money is being wasted. It's the debt that's causing the problem and without that we would be making quite a bit of money.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:18 pm

Is the deal we get this pay out for this game or is there any further pay puts based on appearances ?

By all accounts he played a blinder today as did Stockdale

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:20 pm

Bogratsteve wrote:Is the deal we get this pay out for this game or is there any further pay puts based on appearances ?

We have a clause in Dan Burn's contract where if he plays a certain amount of games we get a certain amount of money. We also have a sell-on and a national cap clause.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:21 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Bogratsteve wrote:Is the deal we get this pay out for this game or is there any further pay puts based on appearances ?

We have a clause in Dan Burn's contract where if he plays a certain amount of games we get a certain amount of money. We also have a sell-on and a national cap clause.
Thanks for that

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:23 pm

I did read something that Craig Liddle retweeted that Stockdale and Burn played really well, suggests they may feature more in the future, looking forward to MOTD tonight (or whatever it's called on FA Cup week).

Out of interest, if Fulham were to be relegated do the clauses still be valid? Without wishing ill on their performances but if they were relegated I would imagine the pair of them would be first choice week in week out in the Championship!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:24 pm

First of all, lets actually get the money before we start celebrating. It may take a while to surface yet.

Secondly, IF we get the money, and I won't believe we're getting any money until the club confirms it's in the bank - "we" need to stop trying to spend it on behalf of the club.

Those people saying "just chuck it all at the debt" are being a bit short sighted IMO, because we don't just need to service the debt, we need cash flow month to month. If only it was as easy as just paying the entire 75k off the debt...but we'd still owe some of the debt and still have the 5k a month payments to maintain.

The problem as I see it is that attendances have been lower than forecast, this is bound to create a shortage of cash, and the reason the club will be calling for more money to give it greater stability, will be (at a guess) because bills will need paying that maybe haven't been paid due to lack of funds.

That money comes in, first priority would be to square up creditors that need paying immediately, then whatever is left gives us a buffer and a bit to work with, and we wouldn't be sweating about bills mounting up or the 5k a month debt repayments not being met. We may also need to bring a couple of players in if we get injuries.

I think it would be daft to use the money in it's entireity to pay a chunk of debt because the following months we would still have the same outgoings as now and if crowds don't pick up we're going to be again in a situation where there isn't enough coming in month to month to cover the outgoings.

Get the money, pay immediate concerns, sit on the rest and use it month to month to cover shortfalls, the debt will still be reducing month on month. We really don't want yet another "club needs 50k to see out the season" in another 6 months. Concentrate on funding the ground as soon as we know we've got that cash.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:27 pm

And also, next season unfortunately we really will need to budget on gates of 1,000 and no more, unless we're back in Darlo.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

BlackandwhiteBOB

Post by BlackandwhiteBOB » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:31 pm

Quakerz wrote:First of all, lets actually get the money before we start celebrating. It may take a while to surface yet.

Secondly, IF we get the money, and I won't believe we're getting any money until the club confirms it's in the bank - "we" need to stop trying to spend it on behalf of the club.

Those people saying "just chuck it all at the debt" are being a bit short sighted IMO, because we don't just need to service the debt, we need cash flow month to month. If only it was as easy as just paying the entire 75k off the debt...but we'd still owe some of the debt and still have the 5k a month payments to maintain.

The problem as I see it is that attendances have been lower than forecast, this is bound to create a shortage of cash, and the reason the club will be calling for more money to give it greater stability, will be (at a guess) because bills will need paying that maybe haven't been paid due to lack of funds.

That money comes in, first priority would be to square up creditors that need paying immediately, then whatever is left gives us a buffer and a bit to work with, and we wouldn't be sweating about bills mounting up or the 5k a month debt repayments not being met. We may also need to bring a couple of players in if we get injuries.

I think it would be daft to use the money in it's entireity to pay a chunk of debt because the following months we would still have the same outgoings as now and if crowds don't pick up we're going to be again in a situation where there isn't enough coming in month to month to cover the outgoings.

Get the money, pay immediate concerns, sit on the rest and use it month to month to cover shortfalls, the debt will still be reducing month on month. We really don't want yet another "club needs 50k to see out the season" in another 6 months. Concentrate on funding the ground as soon as we know we've got that cash.
Quakerz, speaking to people within the club today the money will be paid. Dialogue had already been had with Fulham prior to Burn starting. The invoice will be sent on Monday. Fingers crossed we should have it soon enough.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:34 pm

Agree with you Quakerz. It basically gives us our buffer and I'd suggest should see us financially sound until we are back to Darlo.

I don't know what our rights are but my experience on Champ Man is that money should be transferred immediately after the clause is hit. If I were the club I would be chasing because it might have slipped Fulham's mind!

Just hope the paperwork is water tight in terms of us owning those clauses! If we have already received some Stockdale stuff since the admin then it sounds like it will be!

Some good news going into the fans forum on Monday anyway!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:39 pm

Cash Flow is the main issue, so we can't just chuck it all at the debt but it will need to be managed well.

The club will manage it as they see to be honest and I believe the priority will be to pay debt down however not just throw it all in straight away.

When you look at our fixtures it's obvious to see home fixtures are quite few and far between until April when we then have loads. Then season ticket money starts coming in, I agree it needs to go off the debt but not in some lump sum payment as a whole.

We have to trust Martin and Laura in theory, they are in charge and will have to plan what to do.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:42 pm

BlackandwhiteBOB wrote: Quakerz, speaking to people within the club today the money will be paid. Dialogue had already been had with Fulham prior to Burn starting. The invoice will be sent on Monday. Fingers crossed we should have it soon enough.
Club were well aware as stated, in fact like most supporters they even knew he was selected for the first team before our game kicked off.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:51 pm

BlackandwhiteBOB wrote: Quakerz, speaking to people within the club today the money will be paid. Dialogue had already been had with Fulham prior to Burn starting. The invoice will be sent on Monday. Fingers crossed we should have it soon enough.
Yes, fingers crossed we'll get that money very soon, it's a substantial amount and will help us through the next few months no end.

I'll be interested to see, once that money comes in, if the club still try and encourage people to pour money into the two schemes on Squareknot. Or if they start to realise that people can't put into that AND back to Darlo as well, therefore ask people to back that more.

Once we get this money it gives us breathing space and helps club stability, the "Back To Darlo" fund now becomes number one priority in my opinion.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:09 pm

Do we get anymore if and when he plays again? or is that it?
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:11 pm

poppyfield wrote:Do we get anymore if and when he plays again? or is that it?
Further clauses are in there, although not sure 100% what they are.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:57 pm

Appearances/England Cap/Sell-On
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:09 pm

I've heard enough to be very confident we'll get the money due. It is an absolute godsend and should help with our cash flow hugely which was looking frankly terrible.

Doing the sums last night on the administration and liquidation report was a sobering exercise, a reminder of exactly how much it has cost us to get this far.

Today has been a good day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TS3

Post by TS3 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:26 pm

There are different types of debt that we have, that owed for the previous club which is paid to Harvey Madden, and debts taken on by this club (don't reopen the two club debate). I am sure that Laura will allocate the funds accordingly to better the club's position.

Sent from my tablet using Tapatalk 4

PaulMJohnson

Post by PaulMJohnson » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:57 am

Whether the club commits any windfalls to paying off debt or not would entirely depend on the terms of the debt.

If the debt is "cheap" (i.e. it's borrowed at low or no interest) it would be madness to pay it off faster than needed. If the debt is expensive, the faster you can pay it the better.

It's one of the few areas where personal finance is a good analog for business finance. If someone offers you something on interest free credit, and won't give you money off if you just pay up front, always take the credit. Even if your savings pay next to nothing, you'd still be better off.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:12 am

Having spoken to a couple of Fulham and Norwich fans at the game on Saturday, the reviews of Burn are very favorable. Burn seemed very positive winning his headers and gave Van Wolfswinkle who is good in the air a real game. Stocky seems to have moments of genius (one of his saves compared to Gordan Banks) whilst also has the habit of making daft little errors.

The Fulham fans are already talking of next season and suggesting Burn and a couple of other younger players could lay a maker down and make there positions set for a season in the championship.

Its also amazing what good coaching can do. I always thought Burn had the attributes, Tall, Brave, Strong ect for a centre back but you doubt he would turn into such a player had he stayed playing league two football with Darlo (I appreciate were not playing league 2 football, but hopefully you get my point)

Would be great to see them both playing regularly.

Darlobaz79

Post by Darlobaz79 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:01 am

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:46 am

Darlobaz79 wrote:Sounds like he did very well http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/in ... t=prev#new
Some great quotes from there. Very encouraging from our perspective, but also for Dan himself. Good luck to the lad.
Burn was terrific. Man of the match for me. He was heading the ball forty yards from Bunn's goal kicks!
On that performance, Burn is already a massive improvement on Senderos, Amorebieta & Hughes. A good old fashioned defender who does the basics well. Attacks the ball, and not the man, best debut in years.
Burn was excellent, reminded me of a younger Hangeland....always had time on the ball but attacked it when necessary. Showed mature decision making.
Also very impressed with Dan Burn today, won everything in the air and looked assured on the ground as well.
Lots to be encouraged about. Burn MOM.
Burn gave the same level of performance he has put in for both Yeovil & Birmingham taking the stepup in his stride, he was happy to receive the ball and gave you confidence that wouldn't make a mistake. I liked they way he acknowledged the fans before and after the match even gave his shirt away as did Kasami and Plumain.
Very pleased with the performance today from the youngsters Burn very good, a mix of Hangerland and the old Roger Brown when attacking the ball in the air, looks like he will just slot in to our back four nicely.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

love it!
Team Supported: Darlington 1883

Post by love it! » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:49 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRXRlfr0 ... e=youtu.be

Interview after the Fulham match by Burn

Darlo.For.Life

Post by Darlo.For.Life » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:50 pm

He starts again tonight for Fulham.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:38 pm

Darlo.For.Life wrote:He starts again tonight for Fulham.
Saw a bit of the first half - he seemed to be having a steady game. All his passes went to the man and I think it was his clearing header from a corner that helped set Fulham on their way to their 2nd goal.

Fulham 3-0 winners so another good run out for Dan - they're unbeaten while he's been in the team!
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg