Kendal today

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Stylecounciller
Team Supported: Darlington

Kendal today

Post by Stylecounciller » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:56 am

Is the game on today then? What times pitch inspection?

Bogratsteve

Re: Kendal today

Post by Bogratsteve » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:06 am

Game is on

windyforce4

Post by windyforce4 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:17 am

Grest news.. Looking at the forcast it is due for heavy rain from around 12 till 2pm. Hope they have considered this.

Rufusuk

Re: Kendal today ~ Game ON!

Post by Rufusuk » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:43 am

Just spoke to Kendal FC (11:40). Game is on. No further pitch inspection planned. Pitch is in good condition.

Mullet69

Re: Kendal today ~ Game ON!

Post by Mullet69 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:50 pm

Rufusuk wrote:Just spoke to Kendal FC (11:40). Game is on. No further pitch inspection planned. Pitch is in good condition.
Which we now all know is absolute bollocks. From the photos I've seen, and over an hour to kick off, no chance. Pisses me off when clubs make bold statements like that, it bites them on the arse every single time and wastes many peoples time, effort and more importantly, money.
Mullet69uk on Twitter

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:02 pm

Postponed!
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:12 pm

Shame for all the fans that made the trip over.

Twintowers

Post by Twintowers » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:20 pm

Got over there at 1.15 and it was pretty obvious there was going to be no game.All the way over the 66 the rain was getting worse and thepitch had standing water all over it.
It was the right decision to postpone but it should have been made before 12 and saved a lot of us a proper shitty trip.

Mission Impossible

Post by Mission Impossible » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:37 pm

Just got back. Rang the ground at 1.45pm as we were coming in to Kirby Stephen. They told us that the game was on and that no further pitch inspection would be taking place.
Any idea what new date we are looking at?

charlie

Post by charlie » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:43 pm

We were four miles away when it was called off

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:55 pm

Absolute piss take !
Think before posting

TheFriendlyFan

Post by TheFriendlyFan » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:10 pm

Crap. If there was any chance of the game being off this morning they should've used the weather forecast and a bit of common sense and called it off before everyone set off.

There was quite a few people there who obviously had wasted trips.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

charlie

Post by charlie » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:20 pm

Got to say its a long way to go for a cuppa n a pint

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:57 pm

And if the officials had called it off in the morning, people would be ranting on saying "they should have given it a chance."

Officials can't win.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:06 pm

Darlogramps wrote:And if the officials had called it off in the morning, people would be ranting on saying "they should have given it a chance."

Officials can't win.
I think the point was that they made such bold statements as to make people think that the match taking place was never in doubt. I read of one fan who set off on a 280 mile round trip based on that assurance.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

BlackandwhiteBOB

Post by BlackandwhiteBOB » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:14 pm

Kendal were still telling people at 1:45 that the game was in no doubt, even as they were arriving at the gates.

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:22 pm

BlackandwhiteBOB wrote:Kendal were still telling people at 1:45 that the game was in no doubt, even as they were arriving at the gates.
What happened to those people already in the ground, were they given their money back straight away when the match was called off?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:23 pm

Got the money back.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:24 pm

Hilly wrote:
BlackandwhiteBOB wrote:Kendal were still telling people at 1:45 that the game was in no doubt, even as they were arriving at the gates.
What happened to those people already in the ground, were they given their money back straight away when the match was called off?

Yes...I had been in the ground about 15 minutes when the game was called off, I got my money straight back
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:29 pm

Wasted trip from Hereford. Bugger.

AnthonyP

Post by AnthonyP » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:38 pm

We were just outside Kendal when the game was called off. Really frustrating as I couldn't wait for the game .....

charlie

Post by charlie » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:45 pm

Mr_Tibbs wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:And if the officials had called it off in the morning, people would be ranting on saying "they should have given it a chance."

Officials can't win.
I think the point was that they made such bold statements as to make people think that the match taking place was never in doubt. I read of one fan who set off on a 280 mile round trip based on that assurance.
We actually set off because of the statement made

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:11 pm

Mr_Tibbs wrote:

Officials can't win.
While that is true, the weather did only properly deteriorate around lunchtime, by which time most fans had set off anyway.

Bearing in mind this was potentially a good pay day for Kendal, they would have wanted to give the game as much of a chance as possible.

It's not quite as simple as "call it off in the morning to save fans the trip."
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:35 pm

We were there about 12-30 ... It was raining and the local guys in the pub said it had just started (In the last half hour) ... Another guy said there would be no problem as the pitch is good at soaking up the incessant rain in Kendal. "We rarely have matches called off" he said. It was not lashing down .... It was raining .... of course it was ... as forecast but it was never what I would call heavy and which actually got less as the minutes passed. Another local lad serving in wetherspoons showed us a picture taken at 11 ish from the radio Cumbria "tweet" :roll: .... Yeah right .... It showed a waterlogged pitch with no hope of footie .... This was now 2-15 by the way after the call off. Ridiculous really. Another pint later the rain had stopped ..... As forecast .... And low and behold another tweet or whatever ..... Gleefully shown to us by the bar lad said at about 3 pm .... Wtte .... 'Sorry folks, but the pitch is fine now' ....

It was a piss take .... ( his words). And he is a Kendal fan.

Notwithstanding, as ever, we made the most of a bad lot ..... But please don't say we would have moaned one way or another .... There were easy 400 odd Darlo in town today ..... Someone was playing silly buggers!

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:02 pm

What alarmed me today was the process to call off the game. It was quite clear from the body language that neither team wanted the game on. Refs walks out at 2, has a bit of a laugh with our gaffer, rolls the ball (it did roll) and then bounces it a couple of times (it bounced) Why a referee should even feel the need to engage with either manager on this decision is beyond me. Apart from the groundsmen, all the other officials should have been cleared off the pitch. I know too well from my own refereeing days that frankly you ignore everybody else. I am not saying the decision was wrong but the process was shambolic.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:09 pm

Safe to say we were happy for the game to be called off, MG did not want to play today. These are the days the game becomes a lottery and often points are dropped, I don't think MG wanted to take that chance.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:21 pm

Who is this " We " that you say were happy for the game to be called off.
3-400 supporters who had crossed the pennines and many others who had travelled hundreds of miles were not the least bit happy.
It is always a risk in winter that games can be called off after fans have set off for the match, but the last thing we need to be told is that officials were happy for it to be postponed.
The old cliché that the match would have been a lottery is false also. Every match is a lottery in some way or another and what will be far more of a problem is a fixture backlog with a small part time squad having to play twice a week at the end of the season. That is when points are dropped.

cammy
Team Supported: kendal

Post by cammy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:25 pm

I can give you an accurate account of what happened.

No rain at Kendal till 12, it then rained for 45 mins in which time the pitch was forked and most of the water had gone, it then rained heavy again at 1.15 and the ref turned up at1.30pm, after speaking to both managers he said he would look again at 2pm.
At 2pm martin and fossie Ktfc manager to the ref that both teams wanted to give it a go as it had stopped raining and a lot of fans were there or on there way, the ref was told that it drains quickly but he chose not to listen, subsequently at 3pm the pitch was perfectly playable. We did everything to get the game on even the chairman had a fork, just sorry you had a wasted trip.
Best of luck for the new year.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:27 pm

banktopp wrote:Who is this " We " that you say were happy for the game to be called off.
3-400 supporters who had crossed the pennines and many others who had travelled hundreds of miles were not the least bit happy.
It is always a risk in winter that games can be called off after fans have set off for the match, but the last thing we need to be told is that officials were happy for it to be postponed.
The old cliché that the match would have been a lottery is false also. Every match is a lottery in some way or another and what will be far more of a problem is a fixture backlog with a small part time squad having to play twice a week at the end of the season. That is when points are dropped.
I for one was happy for it to be called off despite travelling. The state of that pitch it wasn't playable at all. The centre circle was waterlogged, when the ref threw the ball in the air, it just sat in the puddle, no bounce. The far side looking from the bar down near the main stand was absolutely dreadful, very heavy with standing water.

There's no way that would have drained by 3pm either, absolute bollocks. It would have taken more than an hour for that water to drain away, even then the pitch would have been very heavy, and it would of been a massive leveller
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

micra3

Post by micra3 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:17 pm

quakersam wrote:
banktopp wrote:Who is this " We " that you say were happy for the game to be called off.
I for one was happy for it to be called off despite travelling. The state of that pitch it wasn't playable at all. The centre circle was waterlogged, when the ref threw the ball in the air, it just sat in the puddle, no bounce. The far side looking from the bar down near the main stand was absolutely dreadful, very heavy with standing water.

There's no way that would have drained by 3pm either, absolute bollocks. It would have taken more than an hour for that water to drain away, even then the pitch would have been very heavy, and it would of been a massive leveller
I totally agree-well said Sam
M I C R A 3