Blackwell Meadows

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

dickdarlington
Team Supported: Darlington

Blackwell Meadows

Post by dickdarlington » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:13 pm

Not fully aware of how far along things are, but looking at potential opportunities.

As most will know, Hinkley United ceased to be the other week. They have a brand new ground, with a nice new stand and plenty of covered terracing.

Is there any chance that we could approach the administrator and inquire about potentially purchasing some of their ground to develop the Meadows. even if it's just the floodlights.

Just an idea? Thoughts?

lo36789

Re: Blackwell Meadows

Post by lo36789 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:29 pm

Probably worth an ask.

Assuming that the stadium was owned by that club. What happened to Northwich Vic's stuff in the end by the way?

I spoke to some Rugby folk an they seemed confident the Floodlights were up to scratch. I have been to grounds this year where a shadowed area exists through the middle of the pitch due to lack of Floodlight coverage so not sure what the restrictions are!

The terracing is probably more of interest if it can be lifted and shifted on the cheap. Would be good to get a figure as that would be a cracking fundraising goal - as mentioned before I am an advocate of the bit by bit fundraising with a specific item/target.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:23 pm

I understand Northwich Vics former ground was recently demolished, absolutely criminal!
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:51 pm

quaker4life wrote:I understand Northwich Vics former ground was recently demolished, absolutely criminal!
If that is true it really is.

Given they will have had to pay to demolish even if we'd just paid the net to transport/re-erect (plus a pound) on what it cost to demolisy the council would have been better off!

Is this actually what happened?

love it!
Team Supported: Darlington 1883

Post by love it! » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:52 pm

If we had loads of cash in the bank I think this would be a great idea however as most of our potential new stadium will be funded by grants it could be a non starter

Darlo_Manc

Post by Darlo_Manc » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:19 pm

lo36789 wrote:
quaker4life wrote:I understand Northwich Vics former ground was recently demolished, absolutely criminal!
If that is true it really is.

Given they will have had to pay to demolish even if we'd just paid the net to transport/re-erect (plus a pound) on what it cost to demolisy the council would have been better off!

Is this actually what happened?
Unfortunately so, the ground was seized from their crooked owner after they failed to pay debts and went into adminstration. After months of promising the administrators that he was in the process of getting the money to purchase the ground back the Vics owner (Jim Rushe) was basically just lying. The administrators set a deadline and he missed it so the chemical company next door bought the land to build on. I believe they offered the main stand to be put into storage if Rushe was willing to buy it but he refused and seems to want to keep the team in Flixton, the fans have started a new club called 1874 Northwich FC who are currently in North West Counties.

This big stand was then auctioned off with teams like Chester and Halifax interested but I didnt hear of whether it was actually sold.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:08 pm

http://imageshack.com/a/img689/8513/qrob.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img41/8646/6qax.jpg

What a waste. :thumbdown:

Although it is possible for parts of the stadium to be recylced, an example would Featherstone Rugby Club taking the two stands from behind each goal from Scarborough's old McCain Stadium and re-erecting them at their ground.

http://imageshack.com/a/img855/3137/zrjc.jpg
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:56 pm

http://mobile.northwichguardian.co.uk/s ... Moss_Farm/

Have to get most of the info out of the comments section. Sounds like not a great deal happened at the auction. Doesn't really give specifics but the way I read it potentially the whole lot was sold for £30k to scrap in the end.

The floodlights/seats of the stands were gifted to others by the sounds of it.

Darlo_Manc

Post by Darlo_Manc » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:24 pm

Northwich gives you an example of how to run a club poorly and how to run a club very well.

Northwich Victoria have spent the last 15 years jumping from crisis to crisis with a new owner coming in to save the day but turning out to be worse than the last one. It was inevitable the fans would either start their own club or take over the existing one, the former in this case. The issue was selling the ground in the town centre should have given them enough money to buy the new land and build a stadium but it was squandered on chasing success.

Whereas Witton Albion had monetary problems after falling out of the conference but learnt the lesson. They cut their cloth accordingly now and did well out of selling their ground in the town to buy Wincham Park (a stones throw from the now torn down Victoria Stadium).

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:03 pm

Darlo_Manc wrote:Northwich gives you an example of how to run a club poorly and how to run a club very well.

Northwich Victoria have spent the last 15 years jumping from crisis to crisis with a new owner coming in to save the day but turning out to be worse than the last one. It was inevitable the fans would either start their own club or take over the existing one, the former in this case. The issue was selling the ground in the town centre should have given them enough money to buy the new land and build a stadium but it was squandered on chasing success.

Whereas Witton Albion had monetary problems after falling out of the conference but learnt the lesson. They cut their cloth accordingly now and did well out of selling their ground in the town to buy Wincham Park (a stones throw from the now torn down Victoria Stadium).
given how close the 2 clubs were, I am amazed that Northeich were unable to do a deal to play at Witton's ground rather than playing many miles out of northwich.

(I am referring ot the original club here, not the supporters start up club)

Darlo_Manc

Post by Darlo_Manc » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:16 pm

spen666 wrote:
given how close the 2 clubs were, I am amazed that Northeich were unable to do a deal to play at Witton's ground rather than playing many miles out of northwich.

(I am referring ot the original club here, not the supporters start up club)
They'd always been separate and when Witton built Wincham Park in the 90's, Northwich Vics were thriving in the Conference playing at the Drill Field (oldest football ground in the country at the time). I think Vics didn't think they needed to share at the time so decided to build the Victoria Stadium round the corner from Wincham Park. Then the behaviour of Vics whilst playing as tenants at Wincham Park (whilst the new stadium was built) meant Witton had no interest in sharing in the future as they basically trashed the changing rooms frequently and paid rent increasingly late.

But common sense says they should have but at any one time one club has been in a much better position than the other and didn't want to be involved with the other. The housing developers keep making offers to buy Witton's ground but they are holding out for a deal that suits them, maybe when the time comes they could build a new ground and share with the Northwich phoenix club.

Either way, not sure anything is left from the Victoria Stadium to put towards Blackwell Meadows which is a shame because the Danebank stand was impressive.

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:27 pm

Add to the fact they really don't like each other means in the past it's probably been more likely for rangers and celtic to share than Vics and Albion.

Not 100% on the facts, but I believe Witton were set up as a club in protest to Victoria going pro. With the new fan club being created, in what sounds like similar circumstances, perhaps there is a future for a ground share.

The original club however, who knows what's going to happen long term.

Darlo_Manc

Post by Darlo_Manc » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:35 pm

dickdarlington wrote:Add to the fact they really don't like each other means in the past it's probably been more likely for rangers and celtic to share than Vics and Albion.

Not 100% on the facts, but I believe Witton were set up as a club in protest to Victoria going pro. With the new fan club being created, in what sounds like similar circumstances, perhaps there is a future for a ground share.

The original club however, who knows what's going to happen long term.
Yeah I think that was what happened back in 1887.

How that club survived a season renting in Stafford on gates of around 70 I've no idea.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:24 pm

WHEN are we going to hear further news on this? Crowds are dwindling as I predicted they would do, people are losing interest - we need some good news and quick. We need a common aim, something to look forward to. Not darkness.

Crowd 868 today, we never had a Saturday crowd under 1,200 last season, and before anybody mentions a lack of away fans, most NL teams only brought 10-20.

I shudder to think how many we'll get on a cold night in February. 500? How long before that in itself becomes a regular crowd?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlofart

Post by Darlofart » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:11 pm

Phhhhhhhhhhht
Quakerz is spot on. We went months with no announcement, then finally some great news with a return to town announcement which created a bit of buzz about the place,and low and behold things go back to normal with no news coming out the club.
We needed to build on the previous momentum built up also and the "feel good factor". I appreciate there's confidentiality and all that bollocks but the public relations between club and supporters has been awful and we need further announcements ASAP to maintain momentum.
Why is there nothing in the echo? Are we supposed to wait another 6 months until the next fans forum before we hear anything else?
I'd prefer lots of snippets of info just to be reassured that things are progressing and we have a goal to aim for, as opposed to waiting for months until the next fans forum.
If comparing the situation to breaking wind it's like a first date fart. You hold it in all night then as soon as you kiss the lucky lady goodnight and send her on her way, out comes a boff that goes on for about 10 seconds,whereas your body has been crying out for you to break wind throughout the night in bite size chunks.
Farting aside we need more positive news before more people start to lose interest.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:46 pm

Darlofart wrote: Why is there nothing in the echo? Are we supposed to wait another 6 months until the next fans forum before we hear anything else?
I'd prefer lots of snippets of info just to be reassured that things are progressing and we have a goal to aim for, as opposed to waiting for months until the next fans forum.
The Echo can only report the information they are given and then only with the permission of the people who give them that info.
All I know is that there was meant to be an announcement the other week but it has been delayed. For what reason I don't know.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:20 pm

Darlofart wrote: If comparing the situation to breaking wind it's like a first date fart. You hold it in all night then as soon as you kiss the lucky lady goodnight and send her on her way, out comes a boff that goes on for about 10 seconds,whereas your body has been crying out for you to break wind throughout the night in bite size chunks.
Farting aside we need more positive news before more people start to lose interest.
Hahahaha :lol:

You are the 2nd best poster on this board after Fat Tony!

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:29 pm

Darlofart wrote:....
If comparing the situation to breaking wind it's like a first date fart. You hold it in all night then as soon as you kiss the lucky lady goodnight and send her on her way, out comes a boff that goes on for about 10 seconds,whereas your body has been crying out for you to break wind throughout the night in bite size chunks.

You're Ian Holloway aren't you?

Dfc Dfc Dfc

Post by Dfc Dfc Dfc » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:17 pm

Quakerz wrote:WHEN are we going to hear further news on this? Crowds are dwindling as I predicted they would do, people are losing interest - we need some good news and quick. We need a common aim, something to look forward to. Not darkness.
From today's programme it clearly states that the CIC is leading on the return to Darlo.
There is a write up which says the same as has been said before many times about how hard the CIC is working on it but no detail. This would suggest that THE only people who can answer the questions about what is happening re:back to Darlo would be the CIC directors.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:12 pm

Can't agree with "public relations between the club and the fans has been awful". Could you be specific?

It's only a month and a half since the last fans forum and Blackwell Meadows announcement. To complete the details to make this return to Darlo is extremely time consuming and a running commentary probably isn't practical.

P41 of the programme today says they hope to have more details on the move soon before the next home game.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:31 pm

Fingers crossed!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:41 pm

Work has continued in assessing everything required I believe, to get the ground up to standard.

It's trying to keep that list to a bare minimum as obviously everything required will have a cost, as stated I expect to hear more soon with the call for us to be involved.

TS3

Post by TS3 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:33 pm

But it has been 6 weeks without any announcement of 'back to darlo' fundraising . If we have to wait for the next home programme to come out, it will be 10 days before Christmas, which will delay things into the new year.

I realise they want to get a list of what is needed and how much it will cost, but surely people would chuck money in a general fund in the meantime?

Sent from my tablet using Tapatalk 4

exiled fan

Post by exiled fan » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:58 pm

Darlofart wrote:Phhhhhhhhhhht
Quakerz is spot on. We went months with no announcement, then finally some great news with a return to town announcement which created a bit of buzz about the place,and low and behold things go back to normal with no news coming out the club.
We needed to build on the previous momentum built up also and the "feel good factor". I appreciate there's confidentiality and all that bollocks but the public relations between club and supporters has been awful and we need further announcements ASAP to maintain momentum.
Why is there nothing in the echo? Are we supposed to wait another 6 months until the next fans forum before we hear anything else?
I thought the idea of becoming a "community" club was to ensure the fans remained in control. Don't look like it's working out that way from here. Ok there may be things that the board can't make public yet but can someone explain to me what input the average fan has been allowed so far

Mrs_Money_Penny

Post by Mrs_Money_Penny » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:19 pm

I thought the idea of becoming a "community" club was to ensure the fans remained in control. Don't look like it's working out that way from here. Ok there may be things that the board can't make public yet but can someone explain to me what input the average fan has been allowed so far[/quote]

The Interim Board,Trust Board,DFC Board & CIC Board were/are all (average) fans The CIC elections are being organised with the backing of supporters direct to broaden the board because from what I have seen it has been a case of too few doing too much (around families & work) so hopefully when the board is widened things will be able to move quicker especially when the return to town is so important.

exiled fan

Post by exiled fan » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:27 pm

Mrs_Money_Penny wrote:I thought the idea of becoming a "community" club was to ensure the fans remained in control. Don't look like it's working out that way from here. Ok there may be things that the board can't make public yet but can someone explain to me what input the average fan has been allowed so far
The Interim Board,Trust Board,DFC Board & CIC Board were/are all (average) fans The CIC elections are being organised with the backing of supporters direct to broaden the board because from what I have seen it has been a case of too few doing too much (around families & work) so hopefully when the board is widened things will be able to move quicker especially when the return to town is so important.[/quote]

Would say with falling crowds the return to Darlo has got to be the number one priority if we want to ensure Darlington fc has any future.

jimmyht

Post by jimmyht » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:25 pm

exiled fan wrote: Would say with falling crowds the return to Darlo has got to be the number one priority if we want to ensure Darlington fc has any future.
that has been obvious for months - in fact other clubs experience always suggested that from day one we had to be away from H.P. and back home a.s.a.p

Darlo_Manc

Post by Darlo_Manc » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:10 pm

With big projects like this it isn't always that useful to have regular updates as things like this always take a lot longer than you think. In the space of 4-6 weeks it's probably a case that there isn't a huge amount worth releasing a statement about.

swadquaker

Post by swadquaker » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:48 pm

Darlo_Manc wrote:With big projects like this it isn't always that useful to have regular updates as things like this always take a lot longer than you think. In the space of 4-6 weeks it's probably a case that there isn't a huge amount worth releasing a statement about.
Yes, but we need to know that its still going ahead. Anything fairly frequently, even if it only says "Negotioations progressing" is OK. Otherwise, when there is a long gap, we start to think the worst.

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:08 pm

If money is needed to be raised, which in all probability it will be, then surely the sooner we start the better. Even if we are only given a ball park figure with no definite item to purchase (save for the ground in general) at least we can start on that. The longer we wait, then there is the chance that interest will fade and the momentum won't be there.
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!