Just a question to you all....

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Big Tim
Team Supported: Darlington

Just a question to you all....

Post by Big Tim » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:51 pm

Would failing to go up this season be a disaster in your eyes?

AndyPark

Re: Just a question to you all....

Post by AndyPark » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:07 pm

Not a disaster, no. But in my opinion; we need to be out of this league by the 2015/2016 season & up to the EVO-Stik Premier Division!

divas

Post by divas » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:09 pm

No, however you can see why expectations are high when we have a following of around half of the teams in this league put together and a considerably bigger budget than probably all of our competition.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:15 pm

No not for me, if we make playoffs then I'm happy regardless of the result, it means we have a good enough team in place to take back to Darlo next season and secure promotion, just want us competitive and keeping the fans turning up.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:39 pm

Not if we have a return to town next season to keep momentum high. Of course, not going up next season would be a disaster.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:50 pm

It would be very disappointing.

We shouldn't be in this league and are in it only because of non footballing reasons.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Ash_Quaker

Post by Ash_Quaker » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:03 pm

"Unlike most of you, my expectations are more realistic."

:lol:

Super-fan starts a thread to show off his new signature.

Big Tim

Post by Big Tim » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:05 pm

:lol:

Nope, was just a genuine question

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:14 pm

It can never be stressed enough just how important that getting out of the NL at the first attempt was.

I am of the opinion that as long as we move back to Darlo next season - which I'm still not very optimistic that we'll manage - then not going up would not be a disaster. Gives us an extra season to get Blackwell up to at least BSN level as well.

However if we stay at Bishop next season, then yes we need to go up again to partly counteract the season upon shrinkage of fanbase that we will inevitably have.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

hoppers

Post by hoppers » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:26 pm

I think that's it in a nutshell. We need a boost of some sort from the season - be that promotion or the move home.

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:28 pm

I believe it was once stated (fans forum?) that we were looking to get two promotions in three seasons. Failure to go up this season would put more pressure on next season for definite but wouldn't be a disaster.
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:53 pm

Why the negative talk about not getting promotion? The season is only 1/4 over and Darlo are easily in a play off place.

There are 2 promotion places available.

Last season saw the sort of success that happens rarely to a team and should not be used as a yardstick to judge by.

The one thing that last season should teach is that Martin Gray saw the early weaknesses in the team and strengthened the side so that the team grew in strength all season. There is no reason he wont do the same again.

Yes, last night was a bad result, but it was a cup game and doesn't affect the league.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:13 pm

The main thing is we stay within budget and if that means Evostik so be it. The fact we have some competition this year brings back an air if reality. Feels like a normal season with all the uncertainty again. On reflection sfeamrolling this league was never going to happen.

DTID

Post by DTID » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:53 pm

princes town wrote:The main thing is we stay within budget and if that means Evostik so be it. The fact we have some competition this year brings back an air if reality. Feels like a normal season with all the uncertainty again. On reflection sfeamrolling this league was never going to happen.
Stay within the budget? Our budget for players and staff far exceeds our rivals within this league. £90k on players and £78k on staff. There is no excuse not to be promoted this season to be honest.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:18 am

DTID wrote:
princes town wrote:The main thing is we stay within budget and if that means Evostik so be it. The fact we have some competition this year brings back an air if reality. Feels like a normal season with all the uncertainty again. On reflection sfeamrolling this league was never going to happen.
Stay within the budget? Our budget for players and staff far exceeds our rivals within this league. £90k on players and £78k on staff. There is no excuse not to be promoted this season to be honest.

So, where exactly do your get your figures from?

DTID

Post by DTID » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:21 am

AndyPark wrote:
DTID wrote:

Never mind, that is irrelevant. These are the figures.

shawry

Post by shawry » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:09 am

DTID wrote:
AndyPark wrote:
DTID wrote:

Of course they are figures, but then is a combined budget of 750k, where I got that figure from is irrelevant of course.

Now seriously though, why should we believe your figures, the source of your knowledge is completely relevant

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:13 am

Well if those are the figures then fook me we are seriously under performing currently

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:44 am

It won't be a disaster....but it will inevitably mean lower attendances for next season which accompanied by higher prices and still being in Bishop Auckland (which we realistically will be...no news on fundraising for the move yet?) will possibly alienate more people. Also some of our squad may decide that all the extra travelling isn't actually worth it anymore and slope back to the Northern League comfort zone. All this could be compounded further if we don't start well next season. Of course the opposite could happen too, but what if he Board panic and try to buy us out of the league and our budget goes pop spectacularly?
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:54 am

MikeinBlack2 wrote:which accompanied by higher prices and still being in Bishop Auckland
Higher prices? Prices went up because we are in a higher division. Just to note prices in the NPLPD are around £10 for adults, so we will probably see a rise when we get into that division.
MikeinBlack2 wrote:but what if he Board panic and try to buy us out of the league and our budget goes pop spectacularly?
The board have been clear. 2 promotions in 3 seasons. I can't see this happening for that reason.

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:00 am

lo36789 wrote:
MikeinBlack2 wrote:which accompanied by higher prices and still being in Bishop Auckland
Higher prices? Prices went up because we are in a higher division. Just to note prices in the NPLPD are around £10 for adults, so we will probably see a rise when we get into that division.
MikeinBlack2 wrote:but what if he Board panic and try to buy us out of the league and our budget goes pop spectacularly?
The board have been clear. 2 promotions in 3 seasons. I can't see this happening for that reason.
Fair points, but I simply can't see gate prices remaining the same, especially if there is an offer on for season tickets. If we don't go up this season then next season is a must win one so they could be tempted to throw everything at it depending on how well we start.
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

swadquaker

Post by swadquaker » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:18 am

All that matters is that we survive and operate within a budget, whichever Division we are in. I never thought I would say that and when those *******s at the FA and Singh conspired to demote us all that way, it seemed like the end of the world. But it isnt. On a weekly basis we still suffer the same highs and lows as if we were in Div 2. My mate is a Toon supporter and he suffers the same agonies that I do. If anything its better for us because all he can hope for is survival whereas we can have ambition.In the context of our league status we are a huge club so we will get there eventually. I love the idea of developing Blackwell into some sort of mini Feethams as long as we dont go bust again before we get there. Anything but the Arena - soulless !!!
I live 400 miles away on a pension but determined to get to see at least one game this season.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:30 am

DTID wrote:
AndyPark wrote:
DTID wrote:

It's massively relevant. If they are true (as you claim) I'm sure the club would love to know who is supplying you with that information, for you then to put on an open message-board.

If it's false, I'm sure you'd like to know who is making you look like a fool.

In fact, who is giving you the info is probably a more pressing issue than the actual figures themselves.

Unless you've made them up of course.

You've DM'd me in the past saying you have issues with the way the club is being run (I can post the proof if you want). How do we know you're not pedalling some sort of agenda?
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:41 am

People talk and I'm quite sure that DTID is correct with those figures - the 90k playing budget represents a CUT from the budget that I heard about last season, so to be honest it's pleasing.

The staff figure of 78k seems mental at first glance, but, thinking about it we have a full time secretary. Let's say he's on 20k, that leaves 58k to go between the management team and other staff, approximately a grand and a half a week over a 40 week season. As there's a few of them, I can't see anyone being on more than £300 a week, which goes to show how even if you keep people on reasonable figures, it does mount up.

That idiot from Spennymoor thinks we spend 5 grand a week on the management team!

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

TDS

Post by TDS » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:51 am

I expect promotion for the simple reason our budget is enough for that to be a reasonable expectation.

However I understand in football you don't always get what you pay for and the financial security of the football club is paramount and I'd prefer survival over s*** or bust all over again.

Eye opening on the budget figures but when broken down it isn't that much. Saying that I don't know what the average contract is at this level.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:52 am

Quakerz wrote:People talk and I'm quite sure that DTID is correct with those figures - the 90k playing budget represents a CUT from the budget that I heard about last season, so to be honest it's pleasing.

The staff figure of 78k seems mental at first glance, but, thinking about it we have a full time secretary. Let's say he's on 20k, that leaves 58k to go between the management team and other staff, approximately a grand and a half a week over a 40 week season. As there's a few of them, I can't see anyone being on more than £300 a week, which goes to show how even if you keep people on reasonable figures, it does mount up.

That idiot from Spennymoor thinks we spend 5 grand a week on the management team!
We have a full time secretary? I assumed that after Colin Galloway left that Harry Dunn was doing it on a part time basis.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:10 am

Robbie Painter wrote:
Quakerz wrote:People talk and I'm quite sure that DTID is correct with those figures - the 90k playing budget represents a CUT from the budget that I heard about last season, so to be honest it's pleasing.

We have a full time secretary? I assumed that after Colin Galloway left that Harry Dunn was doing it on a part time basis.
I'm sure it was reported that Harry took it on full time. Though I could be wrong.

If it's a job that needs to be a full time job then you can't really have someone try and do it on a part time basis.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:17 am

To answer the original question, it would not necessarily be disastrous if we miss out on promotion this season, it won't be the end of the world, I never thought in August 2012 we would get out the Northern League. But it became clear quite quick we had to get out quick, I would rather tread water at Step 3/4 than fight the NL mentality for years.

The key to our success is moving home, I am not predicting unprecedented success by moving home, but bigger crowds will no doubt spur the team on.

This season, I think we will get promoted this season, probably throuh the Play-Offs and think we will find our level and even out in ether NPLP or Skrill North

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:20 am

Got to say I was a bit like Quakerz looked at the figures and thought load of sh!te but then thought about them and actually thought playing budget maybe a bit low (thought it was at least 100k) and staff budget a bit high.

In regards to staff you have to think we are paying in some way the following.

Harry Dunn - Secretary/Scout
Verony - Commercial
Gray - Manager
Atkinson - Assistant
Gregan - Coach
Forgot Name sorry - Physio
Andrew Thompson - Kit Man

Now I could have rough guesses at these wages and yes I would be shocked at 75k or so but I can imagine it wouldn't be a million miles away when you add in expenses etc.
Last edited by super_les_mcjannet on Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:21 am

fozzovmurton wrote:To answer the original question, it would not necessarily be disastrous if we miss out on promotion this season, it won't be the end of the world, I never thought in August 2012 we would get out the Northern League. But it became clear quite quick we had to get out quick, I would rather tread water at Step 3/4 than fight the NL mentality for years.

The key to our success is moving home, I am not predicting unprecedented success by moving home, but bigger crowds will no doubt spur the team on.

This season, I think we will get promoted this season, probably throuh the Play-Offs and think we will find our level and even out in ether NPLP or Skrill North

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk
"Our level" will always be either L2 or the BSP. Always.

I'm not saying that we will breeze through the Evo Prem or Skrill North because we won't. We could get caught up at either level for a number of seasons. But neither is our level and we will eventually escape those leagues.