Who was our best goalkeeper?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

footifan
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Who was our best goalkeeer?

Post by footifan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:15 pm

Another point on the Tony Moor era ... keepers did not wear gloves usually , only wearing them if it was raining ...Can't see how green woolen gloves would help that much. Spit was the sticky stuff then, until keepers started to use the oversized oven gloves used now in the 70's .
Sepp Maier was famous for his overlong shorts and being the first goalkeeper to wear the now-standard, outsize, "Mickey Mouse" gloves

marskequaker

Post by marskequaker » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:11 am

Good thread - Alan Ogley was the first regular Darlo goalkeeper I remember in 1975/76. Ogley, Ogley Ogley, Oi, Oi, Oi. Been some good ones and bad ones and very rarely anything in between. Martin Burleigh certainly liked his beer.

Barber, Pollitt, Preece & Prudhoe were all good lads and overall - consistent. Only ever saw Tony Moor the once against Workington but cannot remember much about it - except Darlo won 6-2 about 1969??

Worst one? Wayne Baker (last seen playing for Harrogate v Workington many years ago), Dodgy Darren Collier wasn't much better; Paul Newell (from Barnet) and Keith Finch. Jeremy Roberts was absolutely shocking but the worst one was the chap Hodgy bought in from Everton's youth team for a local derby with Hartlepool after he sold our regular 'keeper - James Speare was his name. He quickly disappeared into non-league oblivion and deservedly so. I remember him playing at Scunthorpe a week later and after the game he threw his boots in the crowd - only for them to be returned in kind!

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:59 am

John Budgie Burridge - worst keeper ever, granted he was 61 years old but i will never forgive him for "that fuck up in the 81st minute fa cup 2nd replay in 1995 vs Rochdale where the winners were (already drawn) away to Liverpool.
Think before posting

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:00 am

Oh and i liked preece, but his howler vs wolves rules him out the top 5 straight away
Think before posting

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:27 am

Was that keeper I was on about from Finland, called something like Molyinen?

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:19 pm

Think you mean Teuvo Moilanen

lancedarlo

Post by lancedarlo » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:40 pm

Anybody remember Tony moor breaking his arm against Oxford?I think big Ron
Atkinson was playing for them

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:38 pm

Collier was beyond appalling at Blackburn. Didnt last 2 months. The only time I ever saw a keeper come flying 10 yards out of the penalty box to punch a ball from a corner. Needless to say he missed it and it was headed in. I think my dad uttered some perfunctory comment abt selling him to accrington.

number_one

Re: Who was our best goalkeeper?

Post by number_one » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:34 pm

Michael Ingham for one game and one game only and giving a great memory, but supporting since '99 it has to be Collett.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:49 pm

Bogratsteve wrote:Think you mean Teuvo Moilanen
That's the fella Steve, thanks. I remember when we were defending the tinshed end and he was wearing a cap because of the bright sunshine. He raced out of the box to clear a dangerous ball, he leaped up in the air, removed his cap and headed the ball and replaced it on his head again before he landed back on the ground. Quality.

Stylecounciller

Post by Stylecounciller » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:18 pm

Collete and preece stand out for me and that van der geest, out of curiosity who was in goal when we got spanked 7-1 away at Scunthorpe, whoever it was I remember him shouting to one of our lads whilst picking the ball out of the net "you might as well put these on fella " he was passing his gloves to one of our lads who was about 18-19 stone!!! I remember collet keeping Ian Clark's volley from about 6 yards out from going in quality save that away at the scum.

number_one

Post by number_one » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:50 pm

Collett was in goal that day in sausage finger reign, think he was behind caldwell and brightwell, remember seeing brumwell cry during that game which will always remain in my memory for the alcock chant.

As an aside used to like scunny though was initially not allowed in that game after reacting to the bitch on the turnstile who greeted me with 'your s*** you are'.

moz1963

Post by moz1963 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:58 pm

We have been blessed with some great keepers, but for me it has to be Fred Barber

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:59 pm

number_one wrote:Collett was in goal that day in sausage finger reign, think he was behind caldwell and brightwell, remember seeing brumwell cry during that game which will always remain in my memory for the alcock chant.

As an aside used to like scunny though was initially not allowed in that game after reacting to the bitch on the turnstile who greeted me with 'your s*** you are'.
Was there for that match, lived near Scunny at the time and took a newbie to watch the mighty Darlo for the 1st time, he never went back!!

Took some serious s*** for months after that game from the yokels

Mullet69

Post by Mullet69 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:27 pm

number_one wrote:Collett was in goal that day in sausage finger reign, think he was behind caldwell and brightwell, remember seeing brumwell cry during that game which will always remain in my memory for the alcock chant.

I thought Brumwell cried after (memory's a bit hazy) Sheff Utd in the Cup when he gifted one to Dean Saunders in extra time. It was a big deal back then. Surely he didn't cry every time we got dicked too?

On the keeper front, I'm almost certain that Jack Norton warmed up the day we played Notts County away years ago, yet wasn't named in the squad, so when David Knight (first time around, he was mint) came off at half time Phil Stamp went in nets.
Mullet69uk on Twitter

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:04 am

I don't remember David Knight being 'mint' ever. He was OK in the couple of games he played on loan under Hodgy, but nothing special.

Of course, relative to David Knight in Colin Todd's team, a fucking golden retriever would be considered 'mint'.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk now Free
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

snackweasle

Post by snackweasle » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:46 pm

3 in the frame. Tony moor jeff wealands (who we sold to birmingham city in the days of trevor francis) and Andy Collett. Of these Tony Moor was the best I ever saw...

lewis1k89

Post by lewis1k89 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:17 am

Grew up with Collett in goal at Feethams, absolute quality player apart from the fact he couldn't kick straight!

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:48 am

lewis1k89 wrote:Grew up with Collett in goal at Feethams, absolute quality player apart from the fact he couldn't kick straight!
Sure you're not talking about Mark Samways? Now there was a bloke who couldn't kick straight.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Yackley_Quaker

Post by Yackley_Quaker » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:21 am

snackweasle wrote:3 in the frame. Tony moor jeff wealands (who we sold to birmingham city in the days of trevor francis) and Andy Collett. Of these Tony Moor was the best I ever saw...

Jeff Wealands for me with Fred Barber a close 2nd. Mind in those days our keeper was usually the busiest man in the team !
I thought we sold Jeff Wealands to Hull City from where he went to Man Utd

jimmyht

Post by jimmyht » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:46 pm

Never been a fan of catagorising anything into either s*** or Brilliant - usually most things fall into somewhere in between, cos lifes hardly ever back and white like that - but having read this thread and had my memory stirred by goalkeeping names from our past, this subject proves Ive been wrong for years! Darlos keepers HAVE, in the main, been either total dross or top drawer :lol:
Freddie Barber always my fav :)

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:54 pm

jimmyht wrote:Never been a fan of catagorising anything into either s*** or Brilliant - usually most things fall into somewhere in between, cos lifes hardly ever back and white like that - but having read this thread and had my memory stirred by goalkeeping names from our past, this subject proves Ive been wrong for years! Darlos keepers HAVE, in the main, been either total dross or top drawer :lol: Freddie Barber always my fav :)
Not as bad as a keeper we had on our works team. He was known as "Toreador" because he would "olay" the ball past the post.....on the inside. :roll: