Blackwell

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

BlackandwhiteBOB
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Blackwell

Post by BlackandwhiteBOB » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:59 pm

Why is Coles a nugget? What has he said exactly that betrays confidences? Talked in very general terms about nothing in particular from what I've seen. Have I missed something?

tezza

Post by tezza » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:02 pm

You need me to tell you. Look at their posts.

I know something you dont, springs to mind.

BlackandwhiteBOB

Post by BlackandwhiteBOB » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:11 pm

I don't need you to tell me, I want you to tell me!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:21 pm

ted_do wrote:
That`s more like what I`m hearing, I suppose beggars cant be choosers but for me without the clubhouse and main pitch then Blackwell is not that brilliant a prospect, especially if we are the junior partner to the rugby club as we will be in the same position as we were at Feethams with the cricket club.
In agreement with this.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:28 pm

Frankly I can't see us going there if it isn't main pitch. Otherwise me might aswell have a field anywhere! We can't afford to build a clubhouse but we might be able to afford to buid some terracing.

Darlo Till I Die

Post by Darlo Till I Die » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:16 pm

lo36789 wrote:Frankly I can't see us going there if it isn't main pitch. Otherwise me might aswell have a field anywhere! We can't afford to build a clubhouse but we might be able to afford to buid some terracing.
Surely the club can do a bit of digging and get a few grants. Heard they are available for a club house too
Our Football Clubs Are For Life Not Just For Business

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:09 am

Darlo Till I Die wrote:
lo36789 wrote:Frankly I can't see us going there if it isn't main pitch. Otherwise me might aswell have a field anywhere! We can't afford to build a clubhouse but we might be able to afford to buid some terracing.
Surely the club can do a bit of digging and get a few grants. Heard they are available for a club house too
Aye can see how that application will go.

"You want a grant for a club house? There is a club house for the community at the rugby club 100metres away, what benefit to the community will giving you a grant for one give?"

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:19 am

Firstly, I don't have any knowledge of what is or is not happening at Blackwell, this is just me typing out my thoughts...

If we do end up at Blackwell, we need to be able to generate revenue from the facilities on a non matchday basis. How is not important just yet, but we need income aside from the 21 games per season.

We would need to be on the main pitch, but what is the real problem with both first sides playing on it? Yes it's not ideal, but there are plenty of clubs out there that do it. Reading/Irish, Wycombe/Wasps, Bristol Rovers/Bristol for example. Between the two clubs we should be able to raise the salary for a full time groundsman.

There would be a lot of work to get Blackwell up to standard. Trivial things like filling in the fencing by the pitch, and erecting an outer wall/fence.

I think the talk of the tin shed is interesting, and if it was me, and it was economically feasible, I'd put it up behind one of the goals and stick 500 seats under it. That way we've got the neccessary seats and covering to play in the conference, and an away end for any future return to the football league.

Regarding additional structures, I have suggested in the past enquiring about Ashington's ground. Their portacabin club house and function room would have been cheap to build and would be more than appropriate for ourselves.

I don't think many/any of us are too happy with the three rows of seats there are at the main stand presently. But there is plenty of space to develop that side with a steel structure in front of the existing building, ala Ross County/Fleetwood. This would in the long term, permit potentially 1000 seats along that side.

The biggest issue is going to be access though. Anyone who has been to Blackwell will know about the single track road to the site, and no footpaths. And then the car park is tiny.

Probably getting ahead of myself like some others, but it is potentially exciting news.

Looking forward to what comes out of the fans forum, if anything. Shame I can't make it.

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:50 am

There is a footpath now leading into Blackwell but would need major work doing for the volume of fans coming in like making wider, also roads in and out would need doing as well.
A larger car park would also be handy for the club to make money off (if allowed) to charge car park users.

flanker123

Post by flanker123 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:17 am

Read this thread with interest. Have to say guys, I would be very surprised if DRFC let DFC take over the first team pitch. I would even be surprised if they let DFC share it, due to the many logistical problems. I would, finally, be surprised if DRFC let DFC take any of the bar revenue. Also, I can't imagine DRFC are prepared to give up any of their ownership of the current land (which they don’t have much of)/ clubhouse. It's all the club has as a nest egg for the future.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:27 am

flanker123 wrote:Read this thread with interest. Have to say guys, I would be very surprised if DRFC let DFC take over the first team pitch. I would even be surprised if they let DFC share it, due to the many logistical problems. I would, finally, be surprised if DRFC let DFC take any of the bar revenue. Also, I can't imagine DRFC are prepared to give up any of their ownership of the current land (which they don’t have much of)/ clubhouse. It's all the club has as a nest egg for the future.
Well then. DRFC wouldn't get our business then. Could be an extra £25k-£30k in their pockets for doing nothing but nevermind, ey.

For a nest egg to provide any benefit you have to have a future. Given reported financial predicament that might not be the case.

Geordie Quaker

Post by Geordie Quaker » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:38 am

flanker123 wrote:Read this thread with interest. Have to say guys, I would be very surprised if DRFC let DFC take over the first team pitch. I would even be surprised if they let DFC share it, due to the many logistical problems. I would, finally, be surprised if DRFC let DFC take any of the bar revenue. Also, I can't imagine DRFC are prepared to give up any of their ownership of the current land (which they don’t have much of)/ clubhouse. It's all the club has as a nest egg for the future.
So you would be surprised, very surprised, surprised, and can't imagine?

That sounds like solid information, right there.

flanker123

Post by flanker123 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:50 am

didn't say it was solid information. Just stating the bleeding obvious, should you put yourself in their shoes.

I have no idea what their financial situation is. I knew it was bad, whether it still is, well that's a different matter.

If DRFC have managed to clear their books and want to remain a social club, not wishing for another adventure into the National Leagues, then they won’t need much additional cash. They don’t need any paid members of staff apart from the bar staff. Just cover their running costs.

So you’re right, it depends on their financial situation, but I would say it would have to be pretty darn bad to let DFC take over the first team pitch and the club on match days. Either that or DRFC do want another forage into the National Leagues and thus need some cash. However, I think this is highly unlikely.

Geordie Quaker

Post by Geordie Quaker » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:25 am

You seem to be making the assumption that the only reason they would value some sort of link-up (and the potential resultant revenue) is if they wish to progress to a higher league.

Organisations like to have reserves you know!

flanker123

Post by flanker123 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:39 am

Yep -- completely understand that. But at the end of the day DRFC is a Rugby Club and I just can't see them wanting it to be a Football Club every other weekend. The First Team pitch will mean a lot to DRFC. All I'm saying is that they must be desperate if they allow DFC to have the 1st team pitch and clubhouse match days. Even allowing DFC use of one of the outer pitches would still see the clubhouse ''taken'' over by another club.

However, as others have stated, DFC will see little use in some peripheral pitch that can’t generate its own bar revenues/ commercial revenues.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:05 pm

flanker123 wrote:Yep -- completely understand that. But at the end of the day DRFC is a Rugby Club and I just can't see them wanting it to be a Football Club every other weekend. The First Team pitch will mean a lot to DRFC. All I'm saying is that they must be desperate if they allow DFC to have the 1st team pitch and clubhouse match days. Even allowing DFC use of one of the outer pitches would still see the clubhouse ''taken'' over by another club.

However, as others have stated, DFC will see little use in some peripheral pitch that can’t generate its own bar revenues/ commercial revenues.
The first team pitch will mean a lot, what on earth does that even mean?

I'll be honest for 21 days a year and to get possible £25k for it seems like a good offer. Do you reckon the Rugby Club makes £1,000 of profit on those days otherwise?

flanker123

Post by flanker123 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:59 pm

It means that the pitch has a value other than financial. Surely that’s understandable? I can't imagine any club wanting to just give up their first team pitch and move to some peripheral pitch.
I agree that it's obviously financially beneficially to DRFC, however just put yourself in their position and it's easy to see why they would not to hand over their first team pitch to DFC.
Furthermore, while it may only be 21 days a year, it also happens that rugby seasons and footy seasons align. This would mean the Rugby Club would not be, well, a rugby club for half of the actual rugby season!

flanker123

Post by flanker123 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:02 pm

Also, remeber that DRFC has more than 1 senior team, so every weekend there will be a team at home. If DFC has the clubhouse on matchdays, where will the seniors and members of DRFC go?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:53 pm

I have no idea if this is actually what the plans are. They seem to have always been touted as a potential solution.

I wouldn't want to kick the Rugby Club off their main pitch I would expect a ground share.

It will likely boil down to the financial state of play. If you have any problems with debt then regardless of how much your seniors and members will want to go they might have to face a fact that if they don't compromise they won't be going for much longer anyway! That's is kind of the cold truth.

If the financial position isn't so bad then DFC lose their bargaining position and I am not convinced a deal would take place.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:10 pm

"We would need to be on the main pitch, but what is the real problem with both first sides playing on it? Yes it's not ideal, but there are plenty of clubs out there that do it. Reading/Irish, Wycombe/Wasps, Bristol Rovers/Bristol for example. Between the two clubs we should be able to raise the salary for a full time groundsman"

This. Sheffield united , Notts co and swansea also share their pitches.

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:40 pm

The fixtures could be changed if we shared the main pitch, DFC have it one week and the Rugby Club have it the other or one of us could play Friday and the other Saturday.

There is ways round this and nothing is set in stone anyway so really its all talk at the moment but if the Rugby wants us we will talk with them and sort it out.

If they don't then we move on its simples. :think:

Delirius

Post by Delirius » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:58 pm

The ground grading requirements and standardised league rules state that you would need to have priority of fixtures for any ground share arrangement to be acceptable. You've been given that at Heritage Park, but would the rugby club agree?

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:17 pm

Delirius wrote:The ground grading requirements and standardised league rules state that you would need to have priority of fixtures for any ground share arrangement to be acceptable. You've been given that at Heritage Park, but would the rugby club agree?
Interestingly Guernsey FC have had to move there next FA Cup tie to England as the rugby club they share with are at home that day. Seems like they do not have (absolute) priority on a match day with their groundshare.

No idea of more details on this but it was reported ( I think) in the NLP

Delirius

Post by Delirius » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:52 am

There are specific rules that cover Guernsey's participation in the FA Cup and FA Trophy, so they are probably not the best example to counter the ground sharing rules. Guernsey's special regs are posted on the FA website.

If Blackwell is the way back to Darlington for you, it's just another hurdle to negotiate.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:37 am

lo36789 wrote:For a nest egg to provide any benefit you have to have a future.

Nice bit of philosophy here. :thumbup:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

footifan

Blackwell... update

Post by footifan » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:14 pm

Things seem to be moving... again do not jump the gun but it seems it is an agreement to take it to the next stage... As I said these comments have been past to me in good faith & I do the same :

" Apparently outline details will hit the press on Tuesday or Wednesday

The management committees will both be signing a MON or something like that - It may stand for Memo of Notification. I think it means they are committed to taking the ground sharing forward together "

Make of it what you will , but keep the cement dry for the moment :)

super_les_mcjannet

Re: Blackwell... update

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:30 pm

footifan wrote:Things seem to be moving... again do not jump the gun but it seems it is an agreement to take it to the next stage... As I said these comments have been past to me in good faith & I do the same :

" Apparently outline details will hit the press on Tuesday or Wednesday

The management committees will both be signing a MON or something like that - It may stand for Memo of Notification. I think it means they are committed to taking the ground sharing forward together "

Make of it what you will , but keep the cement dry for the moment :)
Looks the hastily arranged fans forum on Tuesday could well be a very informative night.

footifan

Post by footifan » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:45 pm

Yes looks as though the timing is perfect ;)

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:56 pm

All plans for car park extension and options for new access are already in place and preferable option agreed with the council.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:03 pm

e4sby wrote:All plans for car park extension and options for new access are already in place and preferable option agreed with the council.
Wouldn't surprise me, the Council have been very supportive in trying to get us back in the Town from what I know.