Blackwell

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

spen666
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Blackwell

Post by spen666 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:24 pm

liddle_4_ever wrote:I guess the changing rooms would be up to scratch given that DRFC used to be in the rugby equivalent of League 2, although I am not sure about having an extra changing room for female refs. Given that the players and officials would need to walk 100 odd yards from where our pitch would be to these changing rooms would they even count? It would be too far to go at half time for example and the walk to and from the changing rooms would be amongst the fans, not the safest for useless refs......

IIRC the players and officials have to be able to get from pitch to changing rooms without fans being able to get to them- hence tunnels often seen at grounds.

At New Mills, they use temporary fencing which is put in place before teams come out, then moved away till half time etc.

Fencing does not have to be permanent. (see photos on my blog from New Mills last season http://spen666.wordpress.com/2013/04/19 ... pril-2013/ - 5th and 6th photos are best examples).

Could this be done at Blackwell? I do not know the geography of the pitch & changing rooms well enough to answer this, but if the football club are to move in there, then will there not be a need for additional changing facilities? If so, could purpose built facilities not be built near/ next to the pitch?

These are issues that are probably not too problematic or too costly to resolve. The biggest issue would be that Darlington are once again tenants and are going to have to pay rent / share bar takings etc are they not?

It however brings them back into Darlington and is a big step forward

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:31 pm

footifan wrote:Spoke to some one that is in the know at the Rugby club... not a friend of a friend. He said
" Football club is looking at sharing with us now that Mowden voted to remain solely a rugby club

We would move onto the new pitch top left from the balcony and they would build/move a couple of stands to go opposite our clubhouse and at the roundabout end

They like our facilities and we would like their football "

Suspect the stand at Heritage & the Tin shed ( or the bones of it )
Obviously a long way to go, but these are genuine comments from some one that does not have an agenda.... Time will tell
And passed on by someone else who has no agenda.

This is solid, folks.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:52 pm

Apologies if this has been posted on another thread [edit: it was], but I just spotted this on the Darlington Youth FC Facebook page... it all fits in with the above:

https://www.facebook.com/darlingtonyouthfc

Tin Shed Saved!

Darlington FC CIC are delighted to announce that they have saved the Tin Shed following discussions with Ward Constructions and the developers at Feethams.

The development of the Feethams site commenced on the 22nd Sept 2013 and Tony Ward of Ward Constructions agreed to dismantle the Tin Shed in a manner that means should the football club want to include them in a new ground they would have the option to install them. Paul Colman Spokesman for the CIC said these are iconic landmarks for many Darlington FC fans and we are indebted to Tony and his team for the delicate way in which they dismantled the Tin Shed, so that they could be reused on a new project.

Ian Wilkinson who is heading the back to Darlo project for the CIC added the Tin Shed holds so many memories for all of us Darlington Fans and we hope that one day we will be able to stand on it again in its new home. Work is progressing and we are in advanced talks with land owners and the council about coming home to Darlington, we do hope that any home for Darlington FC would include a replica of the Twin Towers and the original Tin Shed but we need to be mindful that it may end up being more cost effective to build a new Tin Shed than use the old one. We will leave that one up to the fans as ultimately fundraising will decide how we cut our cloth.

Mark Adams who was recently appointed to the CIC board explained how the CIC had been quietly going about its business, stating as a fan I was desperate to hear some news positive or otherwise regarding a return to Darlington, now I am working with the CIC I can understand why Ian and Paul have been reluctant to come out in public and state what our intentions are and although there has been speculation in the press about potential sites recently until anything is signed and agreed by all parties it would be unwise to comment principally due to the number of false promises that have been made in the past. Getting the Tin Shed means that all that heritage from Feethams can survive for a new generation.

Fellow board new comer John Tempest spent last Friday delivering fixture posters which will become a monthly feature to business’s around the town, virtually all the local business’s had agreed to a poster campaign trying to encourage more fans to watch the Quakers, he said, times are tough money is tight so every person attending a match can make a difference, coming home to Darlington is a massive plus. The businesses we delivered posters to on Friday were extremely interested to know when we would be home and there was a genuine wish to help in respect to fund raising once our new home is announced.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

footifan

Post by footifan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:54 pm

"I guess the changing rooms would be up to scratch given that DRFC used to be in the rugby equivalent of League 2, although I am not sure about having an extra changing room for female refs. Given that the players and officials would need to walk 100 odd yards from where our pitch would be to these changing rooms would they even count? It would be too far to go at half time for example and the walk to and from the changing rooms would be amongst the fans, not the safest for useless refs......

IIRC the players and officials have to be able to get from pitch to changing rooms without fans being able to get to them- hence tunnels often seen at grounds.

At New Mills, they use temporary fencing which is put in place before teams come out, then moved away till half time etc.

Fencing does not have to be permanent. (see photos on my blog from New Mills last season http://spen666.wordpress.com/2013/04/19 ... pril-2013/ - 5th and 6th photos are best examples).

Could this be done at Blackwell? I do not know the geography of the pitch & changing rooms well enough to answer this, but if the football club are to move in there, then will there not be a need for additional changing facilities? If so, could purpose built facilities not be built near/ next to the pitch? "
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another one that does not read what has been posted... You admit your lack of knowledge... now just leave it at that.

Yes we will pay rent I am sure, but what is the alternative ? We do not have the money to own our own ground... unless a fairy queen builds us one.
Last edited by footifan on Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:55 pm

QuakerPete wrote:
liddle_4_ever wrote:This isn’t for their main pitch, it’s for another, so the players and officials would need to walk out of our proposed stadium, around DRFC’s main pitch and avoid the fans on their way to the changing rooms.

As far as I know all the land at Blackwell Meadows is council owned except for the footprint of their clubhouse.
If this is correct, it would be interesting to understand the relationships in play here - would we be the minor partner to the rugby club in some way? Or, would the council be the only landlord and, if so, here's their opportunity to do something positive for the football club without having to splash out taxpayer's cash
From the moment we left the town the council has always been keen to get us back but obviously due to cuts in funding themselves it has been a struggle for them to help in a significant way. This community multi sports hub idea that they've been championing along with the rugby club offers a perfect solution for many reasons.

A key one being it once again gets the council onside with the football club and what both we and the rugby club are trying to do for the community. I gather that this will make the funding they are willing to release for access roads and an improvement on car parking easier to do.

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:06 pm

liddle_4_ever wrote:This isn’t for their main pitch, it’s for another
No, it's for the main pitch. The rugby club would move to another pitch.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

footifan

Post by footifan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:08 pm

" The biggest issue would be that Darlington are once again tenants and are going to have to pay rent / share bar takings etc are they not?" from spen666

His comments usually amuse me.
Obviously as a Spennymoor fan does not realise that bar takings are only a small percentage of income .... compared to gate receipts :)

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:23 pm

footifan wrote:" The biggest issue would be that Darlington are once again tenants and are going to have to pay rent / share bar takings etc are they not?" from spen666

Obviously as a Spennymoor fan does not realise that bar takings are only a small percentage of income .... compared to gate receipts :)
You'd be surprised, bar & catering can form 20%+ of turnover.

E.g see p13
http://www.wimbledonheritage.co.uk/dtdo ... s_2010.pdf

footifan

Post by footifan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:30 pm

Was a joke .... WHOOOSH Spenntmoor ... gate money

Darlo Till I Die

Post by Darlo Till I Die » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:40 pm

spen666 wrote:
liddle_4_ever wrote:I guess the changing rooms would be up to scratch given that DRFC used to be in the rugby equivalent of League 2, although I am not sure about having an extra changing room for female refs. Given that the players and officials would need to walk 100 odd yards from where our pitch would be to these changing rooms would they even count? It would be too far to go at half time for example and the walk to and from the changing rooms would be amongst the fans, not the safest for useless refs......

Could this be done at Blackwell? I do not know the geography of the pitch & changing rooms well enough to answer this, but if the football club are to move in there, then will there not be a need for additional changing facilities? If so, could purpose built facilities not be built near/ next to the pitch?

These are issues that are probably not too problematic or too costly to resolve. The biggest issue would be that Darlington are once again tenants and are going to have to pay rent / share bar takings etc are they not?

It however brings them back into Darlington and is a big step forward

At Blackwell Meadows it is a much bigger gap. Roughly 500m to the pitch side (for the pitch people are on about) from the changing room doors. No way will the league accept it in a million years. Too many safety issues.
Our Football Clubs Are For Life Not Just For Business

Mr_Tibbs

Re:

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:50 pm

Darlo Till I Die wrote:At Blackwell Meadows it is a much bigger gap. Roughly 500m to the pitch side (for the pitch people are on about) from the changing room doors. No way will the league accept it in a million years. Too many safety issues.
Which pitch do you think we are (if all of this is true) going to be playing on? The OP said his contact told him that we would take the main pitch, with the RC moving to another pitch. Have you got it the wrong way round?

How far is it from the changing rooms to the main pitch? (I seriously have no idea where the changing rooms are - clubhouse, or separate block somewhere).
Join - Shop - Collect

BlackandwhiteBOB

Post by BlackandwhiteBOB » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:09 pm

It's 3 metres from the changing room entrance to the main pitch

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:11 pm

It's quite exciting this post. But with all this talk I want to plug with Uncovered Fund. I recall plenty of people saying they were going to contribute. Although none of this information is official, why don't we all try putting money into the fund, so the fund can be used to assist the club in getting the ground we are all imagining in our heads???

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:41 pm

Isn't the old main stand still in storage somewhere or did I imagine it?

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:49 am

dfcdfcdfc wrote:Isn't the old main stand still in storage somewhere or did I imagine it?
See here... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19314
Join - Shop - Collect

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:50 am

BlackandwhiteBOB wrote:It's 3 metres from the changing room entrance to the main pitch
:thumbup:
Join - Shop - Collect

swadquaker

Post by swadquaker » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:22 am

Robbie Painter wrote:
footifan wrote:" The biggest issue would be that Darlington are once again tenants and are going to have to pay rent / share bar takings etc are they not?" from spen666

You'd be surprised, bar & catering can form 20%+ of turnover.

E.g see p13
http://www.wimbledonheritage.co.uk/dtdo ... s_2010.pdf
Yes but every extra body through the gate is almost pure profit. Catering etc have unit costs associated with them (ie we have to buy the beer), so its not all profit.
But I am just being picky. A possible move back to the town is the best news I have heard because without it we eventually fold.

knoxy5000

Post by knoxy5000 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:29 am

As nice as this would be to get back into town, rather than speculate I'll wait on official word. Then we could truly get excited and get a fund in motion.

Trike1

Post by Trike1 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:00 am

The seating on the structure thats already there is so low that there is no way can anyone stand against the rail on that side so we would need the opposite tarmac/contrete for fans to stand.

otherwise looks prety good

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:03 am

Trike1 wrote:The seating on the structure thats already there is so low that there is no way can anyone stand against the rail on that side so we would need the opposite tarmac/contrete for fans to stand.

otherwise looks prety good
You mean in the same way that you can't stand in front of any seated stand, anywhere.

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:16 am

D_F_C wrote:It's quite exciting this post. But with all this talk I want to plug with Uncovered Fund. I recall plenty of people saying they were going to contribute. Although none of this information is official, why don't we all try putting money into the fund, so the fund can be used to assist the club in getting the ground we are all imagining in our heads???
I do a small Standing Order each month, but I notice from another thread that we only have around £500 so far, I would assume (hope) that a stated goal to achieve may encourage more Standing Orders/donations.
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

Mrs_Money_Penny

Post by Mrs_Money_Penny » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:09 am

Darlington Credit Union has sponsored the Goalkeepers gloves & away shirts this season to promote savings. There was a feature in last weeks programme announcing that there would be a free raffle for one of the shirts to encourage supporters to save for Christmas (or return to Darlo if you prefer) Contact details are www.darlingtoncreditunion.co.uk or 01325 550300

tezza

Post by tezza » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:29 am

Knoxxy i agree lets wait until the fans forum 1st Oct. Something more concrete than rumour.

coles

Post by coles » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:56 am

In terms of raising funds on uncovered if you wanted an aim then to relocate the Tin Shed we are looking at somewhere around £40k as a ball park target. Which is why as a CIC we will leave it up to the fans to decide if they want to include the Tin shed in any future ventures.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:06 pm

Do you have (rough) figures for cost of a new Tin Shed? I also really like the idea of replica twin towers

divas

Post by divas » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:06 pm

Would be interested to hear what a brand new stand would cost in comparison.

I'm all for nostalgia but we need to make every penny count and if it's going to take 2-3K or more to resurrect the tin shed versus a new structure then I say we move on and forget about it

Naming rights for stands at this level are sparse but I'd like think we could get a few quid to name it - even if we have to go down the route of raffling tickets off at £50 a shot for the stand to be named after you or someone you choose in its inaugural season. I'd certainly be more inclined to invest in that way than into a general pot

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:08 pm

coles wrote:In terms of raising funds on uncovered if you wanted an aim then to relocate the Tin Shed we are looking at somewhere around £40k as a ball park target. Which is why as a CIC we will leave it up to the fans to decide if they want to include the Tin shed in any future ventures.
Thank you. Seems a pretty fair amount of money to get a quarter of the new ground built!

There's out first target set out there for me.

I assume that £40k is cheaper than building a covered terrace from scratch not using the Tin Shed steels?

coles

Post by coles » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:17 pm

divas wrote:Would be interested to hear what a brand new stand would cost in comparison.

I'm all for nostalgia but we need to make every penny count and if it's going to take 2-3K or more to resurrect the tin shed versus a new structure then I say we move on and forget about it

Naming rights for stands at this level are sparse but I'd like think we could get a few quid to name it - even if we have to go down the route of raffling tickets off at £50 a shot for the stand to be named after you or someone you choose in its inaugural season. I'd certainly be more inclined to invest in that way than into a general pot
We are currently awaiting some information back regarding overall project costs, of course it will depend upon where we actually end up going in terms of the land. ;)

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:25 pm

Yes, let's have a comparison of costs to build a terrace and relocate the Tin Shed, and to build a totally new terraced stand.

If there's not much in the way of difference I'd go for a brand new stand any day of the week.

We could call it the uncovered covered stand.

If rebuilding the actual Tin Shed is way cheaper, I'd support that, even though I always thought it looked wank, to be honest. Looked cheap and tacky.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:45 pm

lo36789 wrote:
coles wrote:In terms of raising funds on uncovered if you wanted an aim then to relocate the Tin Shed we are looking at somewhere around £40k as a ball park target. Which is why as a CIC we will leave it up to the fans to decide if they want to include the Tin shed in any future ventures.
Thank you. Seems a pretty fair amount of money to get a quarter of the new ground built!

There's out first target set out there for me.

I assume that £40k is cheaper than building a covered terrace from scratch not using the Tin Shed steels?
Think he may just be on about the cost of re-erecting the Tin Shed not the terrace underneath it.

A 12-15 step, c1,500 capacity terrace with crush barriers would surely be into 6 figures?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017