More support needed

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

More support needed

Post by poppyfield » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:56 am

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/ ... e_support/

My sons comming up for the match this Saturday, so like MG is asking bring a friend, lets be having yer!
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

shadwellman

Re: More support needed

Post by shadwellman » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:42 am

Looks like another financial crisis is looming.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:53 am

Another appeal for support, arrrhhh. They don't work & send out exactly the wrong message - same old Darlo, crap support (when in fact, its the opposite - over 1k whilst playing at BA is fantastic) and walking into another financial crisis.

Management, the board & CIC need to accept there is a very limited amount they can do to increase crowds whilst at Bishop Auckland, revise their financial forecasts & try to reduce spending accordingly.

itaylor

Post by itaylor » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:59 am

flap flap flap

maybe they're just hoping we get back to the kind of support we had last season?

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:06 am

Robbie Painter wrote:Another appeal for support, arrrhhh. They don't work & send out exactly the wrong message - same old Darlo, crap support (when in fact, its the opposite - over 1k whilst playing at BA is fantastic) and walking into another financial crisis.

Management, the board & CIC need to accept there is a very limited amount they can do to increase crowds whilst at Bishop Auckland, revise their financial forecasts & try to reduce spending accordingly.
Absolutely agree 100%. The crowds will only continue to go south when we're out of town, no matter what.

You only have to look at other clubs that have been in exile, and the effect it had on their crowds.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:25 am

We could really do with some news about moving back to town, this will remind people that Darlington still has a football club and is trying to come home.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:34 am

Too much of a hassle to get to Bishop week in, week out for some people.

I've only been to 1 game so far this season, people have different circumstances for not attending. But averaging over 1k at home games in Bishop is still brilliant.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:44 am

There's nothing more depressing or counterproductive than this type of call to arms I'm afraid. The support we got last season and this was remarkable considering the recent history, drop in standard and the fact were isolated miles out of town.

It is sensational compared with any other club at our level or even the levels above.

Of course we'd all like more through the gates but treating support like an entitlement isn't the way to do it. Combine the matchday experience with cost and convenience and we'll find our level, its as simple as that.

Like everyone has said, until we have a roadmap for getting back to Darlington then this type of guff is just going to alienate even more people.

Andrew Wilkinson

Post by Andrew Wilkinson » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:07 pm

Now that I'm not involved I am on the outside looking in - until the day I no longer work Saturdays and can get a season ticket again.
The support since the way the club was treated by the FA and the switch to Bishop has been superb. True fans following their club. As others have said a return to the town is vital. When that happens there will be a big rise in crowds - until the novelty wears off again and we find our natural level. But the natural level in Darlington will be a lot bigger than it is in Bishop Auckland.
Those running the club should do everything in their power to return to Darlo asap. Only then can the real drive to get back to the Football League begin.

ambiente

Post by ambiente » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:23 pm

I have nothing but admiration for the 1100 who are still prepared to pay over the odds to travel to Bishop to watch part time lower league football and I reckon the club would be better served publically thanking them more often than trying to tug on the few guilt strings lapsed fans like myself still have.

As others have said a return to Darlington is imperative, as is news from the club on what progress, if any, is being made. We don't need to be constantly told how hard people are working behind the scenes, we need to know what it is they are working on and to what timescales. Of course confidentiality plays a part, but not to the extent of the total silence we have now. Rallying calls to man the gates of Bishop won't work.

feethams flyer

Post by feethams flyer » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:37 pm

In a nutshell. If the club can't manage on the gates now at this level, we have no chance at a higher level and are waisting our time trying.

The unelected people running our club need to face facts and stop kidding people we are coming back to town. We can't afford to develop a site of any size on the historical attendances. At this level on the gates we are getting we should be making a profit. Its not long ago someone on here commented that clubs in our league had 40 to 50 at there game.

One more mention of a financial crisis and the club is doomed.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:44 pm

I'm bring 3 extra to Saturday's game, every extra person helps.

davidcorks 40yard OG

Post by davidcorks 40yard OG » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:01 pm

I'm going for only the 2nd time this season 2moro gonna be a mad dash back to Darlo tho asi'm working from 6 o clock rather than the 2 o clocks ive had since July hence why i'm gonna be missing a load of sat games this season... :thumbdown:

sada8022

Post by sada8022 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:10 pm

Putting the price up didnt help, i keep trying to get guys at work to come but they all say its not worth it for that level of football. I even tell them that its good value for money as there is always goals and the team are doing well, but they say if it was in town maybe but they not going to travel to Bishop for non league evo North.
But i keep trying

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:23 pm

Sada8022, I have exactly the same problem.

Along with the fact that majority of my mates are glued to their sofa's with Sky remotes stuck in their hands.

I'll keep trying, but even if we were playing in the town and the prices were competitive, they probably wouldn't come. They are subconscious football snobs, as are a lot of people these days, dazzled by the bright lights of the Premier League/Champions League etc etc

shawry

Post by shawry » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:33 pm

TNE wrote:Darlington's dwindling attendances threaten the future of the club
Nothing quite like this sort of intro into an article is there?

The article would do nothing to encourage me to attend if I was a stay away.

Also, it might of been wiser to keep the CIC membership out of the season ticket price, and let people renew in the normal manner, I feel thats cost us quite a few ST renewals.

With the crowds we should have enough income to be competitive in the league, without spending stupid amounts, We need to find our level, not over commit to get higher/maintain a level.

Questioning the attendances just sounds like any other season as a Darlo fan tbh, whether we have been fan owned or not.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:44 pm

Gow9900 wrote:Sada8022, I have exactly the same problem.

Along with the fact that majority of my mates are glued to their sofa's with Sky remotes stuck in their hands.

I'll keep trying, but even if we were playing in the town and the prices were competitive, they probably wouldn't come. They are subconscious football snobs, as are a lot of people these days, dazzled by the bright lights of the Premier League/Champions League etc etc
I have mates who are fans of all sorts of teams. Man U, Liverpool, Leeds, Boro and even a mate who was born and raised in darlo who supports York after a brief stint of supporting Sheff Utd (strange I know).

Sky and Sky Sports news provides the 'airchair' fans the non-motivation that they need to sit and drink and not move an inch. You can tell people till your blue in the face how much good football we play but it does no good.

TDS

Post by TDS » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:23 pm

We need to realise the level we can no longer afford things on our average gates is the level we need to be at and until the money is there we don't spend it. It'll be unbelievable if Gray needs more than what 1,100 people offer him at this level surely? Or even the one above? How do the other clubs on 300 regulars manage then?!

Again, our crowds should leave us with money to store away for a return, not get pissed up the wall on promotions we can't grow alongside with.

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:27 pm

I do wonder what we are paying out, if crowds of 1,100 can't sustain a part time club at this level. I'd be interested to see the accounts.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:41 pm

Of course you have to remember other clubs at our level & above probably don't have:

a) very large debt relative to turnover & free cash flow
b) stadium rental

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:49 pm

Our support has been excellent.
This is insulting.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

shadwellman

Post by shadwellman » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:54 pm

Agreed albeit reducing!

quakerray

Post by quakerray » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:58 pm

were not gonna get the away support to bump crowds up a little like we did last season, as the teams are not local and they get low home crowds.
I mean look at tomorrow, harrogates home crowds averages 89.

wellindarlo

Post by wellindarlo » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:05 pm

Lawman3 wrote:I do wonder what we are paying out, if crowds of 1,100 can't sustain a part time club at this level. I'd be interested to see the accounts.
If we are paying £150/£200 per week for 18/20 players + rent + other staff then there will not be much change from 600 ST sales + 600 paying at the gate over 21 games or so over 36 weeks.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:29 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:Of course you have to remember other clubs at our level & above probably don't have:

b) stadium rental
I think these are two points that people seem to forget. Without these we would be making decent profit. I would also assume that without these and with a ground of our own, the season ticket prices might have been cheaper, but we have to live with what we have.

By all means try to encourage mates along, encourage old fans back. I know of a few 100% committed fans who haven't been back yet, but I'm sure they can be convinced, especially back in darlo

divas

Post by divas » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:34 pm

In reality we're still waiting for our two golden nuggets to realise their value which will make taking on the debt worthwhile.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:49 pm

You can bet your bottom dollar that the FA prevent us cashing in because we are a "new club".

TDS

Post by TDS » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:24 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Robbie Painter wrote:Of course you have to remember other clubs at our level & above probably don't have:

b) stadium rental
I think these are two points that people seem to forget. Without these we would be making decent profit. I would also assume that without these and with a ground of our own, the season ticket prices might have been cheaper, but we have to live with what we have.

By all means try to encourage mates along, encourage old fans back. I know of a few 100% committed fans who haven't been back yet, but I'm sure they can be convinced, especially back in darlo
We'd have some sort of payback due on our own stadium though surely? Regardless, our rent is covered by the sponsorship (Which other clubs in this league would do well to match). You've got fundraising and other avenues to add in to that. The fans financial input is much more than ST's and pay on the dayers as we all know.

Ultimately to have any answers here the accounts need to be looked at.

love it!
Team Supported: Darlington 1883

Post by love it! » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:51 pm

We all know the club will always have to service some level of debt whether it is to pay off historic debt (100k currently being paid over 3 years) or debt for new stadium/playing squad.

We need to match the budget to our gate and nothing more. If we top out in this league then so be it. We all try to bring extra friend/family members and to publish an article like this is an insult. I came with 2 lads who hadnt been for 2 seasons last week but dont need a pat on the back for doing it.

Adjust your playing budget to the budget we have.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:14 pm

Meh gonna tap into the golden nuggets bit on this thread for a bit of a positive spin.

Speaking to someone at work today who is a Fulham fan. He was telling me about how highly rated Dan Burn is by the supporters of Fulham sounds like he is being plugged to them as the replacement for Brede Hangeland.