Pre season

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Stylecounciller
Team Supported: Darlington

Pre season

Post by Stylecounciller » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:11 pm

A few posts back somebody said not to worry about the results of pre season and we will come good towards the end, 2 left to play after tonight and we are getting beat as i post this again?

I've been to 3 friendlies this year and to be honest the positives that people keep banging on about are not going to get us promoted if we are playing well and getting beat, last seasons pre season I went to three or four friendlies and we won every time with an unsettled squad of players that didn't know each other, this year unsettled squad, trialists, injuries , youth players etc like many people have said but what if we need to call on those same players that have lost what 6 games on the bounce?? I think we are being to modest expecting us to come good, the team need to start winning it won't help their confidence going into the first game having lost 8 games on the bounce!

Just thoughts!!

Quakerz

Re: Pre season

Post by Quakerz » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:19 pm

Obviously a losing run is a slight concern, but in pre season it means nothing.

Lets not forget that the majority of the squad that kick off the new season are unbeaten in 23 matches with 21 of those wins, having smashed the Northern League and scored about a million goals.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlo will

Post by Darlo will » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:20 pm

I 100% agree
We score when we want
we score when we want
we are darlo
we score when we want

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:27 pm

Quakerz wrote:Obviously a losing run is a slight concern, but in pre season it means nothing.

Lets not forget that the majority of the squad that kick off the new season are unbeaten in 23 matches with 21 of those wins, having smashed the Northern League and scored about a million goals.
Indeed. It would be better to be winning games, but the players have proven themselves more than good enough.

My one concern is the CB positions. Going into the season without our 2 CBs from last season is a blow.

quakerlady

Post by quakerlady » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:31 pm

Martin Gray in Northern Echo today hoping to get defender in on loan from one of the big NE teams whilst Gary is injured

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:37 pm

quakerlady wrote:Martin Gray in Northern Echo today hoping to get defender in on loan from one of the big NE teams whilst Gary is injured
We'll need it. Losing Tait was a hammer blow, throw Browny into the mix and it's definitely a weakness that we need to fix and quick.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:38 pm

Yeah that's a step in the right direction. However, it will still be an unknown as to how the defence will perform with the changes. It took about half the season to get it sorted last year!

Anyway we've got so much attacking threat that we should still score plenty of goals!!

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:42 pm

Quakerz wrote:Obviously a losing run is a slight concern, but in pre season it means nothing.

My main concern is our back 4, i was not to concerned till we lost Brown, now apart from Scott we will be starting the season with a back 4 that is still work in progress, i hope MG can fill browns place before the next friendly and we can have our first choice back 4 in for Bish and Spartans.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:44 pm

Who was the trialist playing at CB tonight?

Stylecounciller

Post by Stylecounciller » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:45 pm

Agree with the posts in response to original post,
3-3 at Durham good to see andy Johnson on the score sheet we will need him this season to bang a few in, as our defensive is certainly going to be our weak link, I can't think who we can bring in to fill the void brown will leave, according to twitter Durham had a hell of a lot of chances!! So did we mind!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:47 pm

I think come the start of the season we will be fine.

Granted with all the changes/holidays/injurys/youngsters it's been very stop start in pre-season, played well sometimes but not great at others.

If we have the following opening day of the season I would be comfortable with us having a good chance of the right results.

Bell
Hunter, J Robinson, Gott, Scott
Moore, P Robinson, Galbraith, Thompson
Dowson, Purewal

Subs - Turns, Davis, Hedley, A Johnson & S Johnson (If fit)

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:59 pm

Martin admitted tonight there's still a lot of work to be done, with players off on holiday at different times its been hard to find a settled side and being so low on numbers, protecting your players is key, not playing them full 90 every game, especially now most of the trialists have left. We have to now forget about last season, that's gone, it's a new start.
We may have just pulverised the league below but lets not kid ourselves, we're stepping up a level
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker