Darlo 0 Hamilton 0

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

uncovered
Site Admin

Darlo 0 Hamilton 0

Post by uncovered » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:38 pm

Darlington managed to stop the onslaught of goals by keeping a clean sheet against the Accies.

http://www.darlofc.co.uk/news.php?NewsID=16

I_were_a_mascot
Team Supported: Darlo

Re: Darlo 0 Hamilton 0

Post by I_were_a_mascot » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:48 pm

Nice review, but I can't help but think if they visitors had their shooting boots on it could of been another nightmare match.

The right-back had a very impressive first half, looked solid.

I were sat one row behind the Arsenal Youth side with my girlfriend, most of them were American, apparantly it was just a visit as i overheard them saying they were flying back to London tonight.

darlocraig

Post by darlocraig » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:53 pm

I defiantly feel more confident about the team after todays performance. Tho theres still a lot of room for improvement.

Hopefully when the final team gels together we can be proud of what we have in our circumstances

e4sby
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by e4sby » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:56 pm

How was Convery?

Darlo Cockney

Post by Darlo Cockney » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:59 pm

Both full backs looked solid compared with what we have seen previously.

Worrying that we didn't look like scoring.

However against what i would think is a Division 1 standard team, we certainly held our own.

Much more encouraging.

DC

PS Scott
The kids with Gooner shirts on were from California
Started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left.

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:01 pm

e4sby wrote:How was Convery?
Would that be pork, beef or lamb, Sir?

BishopQuaker

Post by BishopQuaker » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:03 pm

wylam_rangers wrote:
Would that be pork, beef or lamb, Sir?
A Mark Convery roast.

Oh dear lord that's a vile image.

Darlo Cockney

Post by Darlo Cockney » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:09 pm

Played OK - Showed lots of commitment, tracked back and tackled when necessary.

Worth giving a go.

DC
Started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left.

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:11 pm

Darlo Cockney wrote:

Worth giving a go.

DC
That last paragraph sent a shudder down my spine. I just don't rate the lad and would've preferred to keep Poole

divas

Post by divas » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:12 pm

convery seems to be a steady eddy, not great going forward and rarely beats his man, but he tracks back well and helps out the full back, he'd be worth a contract if he's not on much, and i think he'll get one as todd hasnt played anyone else in that position.

would be nice if we can get franks on loan to play there and use con as backup tho

divas

Post by divas » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:15 pm

e4sby wrote:
Darlo Cockney wrote:

Worth giving a go.

DC
That last paragraph sent a shudder down my spine. I just don't rate the lad and would've preferred to keep Poole
what have you got against the letter DC like cheese? ;)

id bring him in as he's likely to be on very little and isnt awful, poole probably offered a bit more going forward than convery did but like i say he'll graft and give us a bit more stability in there, we'll just need to attack a bit more down the left with jeff smith if convery plays i think.

right wing has still got to be a priority for todd and even if convery is signed im pretty sure its a position where he'll look to bring in a youngster on loan

uncovered
Site Admin

Post by uncovered » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:15 pm

convery did ok, did a nice move near the end of the game. I just think we lack the killer touch in the final third. It is still early days but I dont like the idea of having to rely on Windass for goals. I would say Todd is going to offer him a contract though. But as Easby has said, would have preferred we had kept Poole but we dont know what budget limitations had an impact there.

d5rlo

Post by d5rlo » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:18 pm

He was never that bad in the first place, he deserves a contract from his pre-season efforts - and he has done well if he does earn one because he'll have proven a lot of people wrong.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:19 pm

uncovered wrote:convery did ok, did a nice move near the end of the game. I just think we lack the killer touch in the final third. It is still early days but I dont like the idea of having to rely on Windass for goals. I would say Todd is going to offer him a contract though. But as Easby has said, would have preferred we had kept Poole but we dont know what budget limitations had an impact there.
agree scott, todd seemed to be very complimentary of our goal threat on the radio last night but i struggle to see where goals are going to come from. it was only in the second half against newcastle when smith started to get forward a bit more that we looked as though we had an edge. windass wont play more than 60 mins a week and while thorpe has looked decent he's not a goalscorer

it all boils down to whether todd can make these 3 or 4 loan signings for me.

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:24 pm

I'll just have to get used to seeing Convery in a Darlo shirt again. Just a thought, i wonder if his sisters still come and watch him, now there's a positive....

The loan signings are going to be key to our season, look at Hereford a couple of seasons back, they had a run of the mill league two side but with their loan signings turned it into a promotion side. A long way to go but lets hope the local big(ish) 3 can help us out

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:50 pm

The thing is, Convery isn't and never has been a winger.

Before you even get into the whys and wherefores of whether he is good enough, he is a square peg in a round hole.

If we sign him as a midfield back up with Bennett, who can cover the wings, then fine. I can see Todd's gameplan from here...sign Arnison and Bower for the full back slots, sign Convery for midfield, and get a right winger and forward in on loan.

Lets say he got Franks and Waghorn for example, and signed Convery, Arnison and Bower (this would give us a squad of 20, if James and Starosta are gone) I think we'd look pretty good, especially if he could get another couple of loans in after the squad restrictions are lifted.

-------------------Knight-----------------

Arnison------Miller------Foster------Bower

Franks----G Smith----Lumsdon----J Smith

----------Waghorn-------Windass--------

Subs

Liversedge
Plummer
Convery
Bennett
Thorpe
Main
Gray

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:57 pm

Bearing in mind we are skint, that line up looks way better than we could have expected.

However I don't think we will get Franks or Waghorn. I know you are only using them as examples but I fear they are both too good to want to come to league two. Hope I am wrong.
Last edited by StevieMardenboro on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:13 pm

d5rlo wrote:He was never that bad in the first place, he deserves a contract from his pre-season efforts - and he has done well if he does earn one because he'll have proven a lot of people wrong.
Yeh, that's why he made a huge impact at York, then Cambridge, then Blue Star.

If he's brought in as 4th choice central midfield then I'm not too fussed considering the budget, but he's a conference player at best. I always liked him first time round and never thought he got enough first team action, but his track record since leaving says it all. Despite his 'efforts' in pre-season he's not good enough - particularly if he's our first choice right-winger as it stands.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:14 am

"Despite his 'efforts' in pre-season..."

And there's the rub - as mentioned earlier, it's one of the reasons I've left pre-season be this time around; what you see before the first game of the season and then every game from then on in is often very different.

I've no doubt that Convery will be busting his balls just now, but try as he might if he's given a contract he'll be at best no worse than he worse last time. I didn't mind the lad in his first spell with us, but as Spyman says he hasn't set the footballing world alight since then.

doc_64

Post by doc_64 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:24 am

i liked the look of arnison bower last night very solid as was the back 4 overall