Darlo's troubles - the best thing that could have happened

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

A kick in the Jacobs
Team Supported: Narwich

Darlo's troubles - the best thing that could have happened

Post by A kick in the Jacobs » Thu May 02, 2013 10:03 am

Without a hint of irony, Raj's actions really were the best thing that could have happened to the club.

The crowds Darlo have had whilst being based outside of the town have been very pleasantly surprising and it points to there being a solid foundation of support to build on for future years. I really thought the 14-15 miles or so to Bishop would have more of a negative effect on the support. Some people could travel that distance and go to Boro.

If, say, in 6 years time we're in the Conference, I expect Darlo's support to be higher than it would have been if the club had just bobbed around that division for all those years. I know there will be no way of proving this but history would support that view. In addition to the, hopeful, continued success to increase the support base there is also the inherent potential of 'the moving back to Darlo' factor.

Admittedly, I do not expect Darlo's support to reach a 5,000 solid core, but I certainly believe this and the imminent future years has and will generate a lot of belonging and togetherness amongst the fans that will be stronger than it's ever been before. This, I believe, is what every fan should have. Not a hatred of other clubs but a strong pride in their own.

The many, many people who has been involved in Darlo's rise should feel very proud of themselves. There will be tough times ahead but if, during such times, you can refer back to how you feel right now the desire to keep pushing the club forward should remain.

Thank you all for your efforts. They have been very much appreciated.

Finally, this season has helped me become far more rounded in the knowledge of the Northern League and I will miss it (even after all the '-gates' there's been). I'd never previously appreciated its stature and of its members and it delights me that Darlo have helped raised its exposure. I certainly intend to take far more interest in it going forward.

Spyman
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo's troubles - the best thing that could have happen

Post by Spyman » Thu May 02, 2013 11:05 am

I think you're right. The only real negative (other than having to start from the bottom, which inadvertently, as you say, has and probably will continue to, lead to greater positives) is being forced out of the town.

However, that stems right back to leaving Feethams really - if that had never happened but everything else since had played out as it has - then we'd really be laughing.

Of course, had we never left Feethams I'm sure we'd never have seen Houghton or Singh.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

love it!
Team Supported: Darlington 1883

Post by love it! » Thu May 02, 2013 12:20 pm

I've got to disagree. The best thing Singh could have done is pass on the footballing share and everything else is academic.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu May 02, 2013 1:39 pm

Spyman wrote:I think you're right. The only real negative (other than having to start from the bottom, which inadvertently, as you say, has and probably will continue to, lead to greater positives) is being forced out of the town.

However, that stems right back to leaving Feethams really - if that had never happened but everything else since had played out as it has - then we'd really be laughing.

Of course, had we never left Feethams I'm sure we'd never have seen Houghton or Singh.
Massive opportunity to relaunch this club when we go back to Darlington, this is something that can turn 2k support to say 4k support maybe even more.

Marketing, price, atmosphere, results and so much more to try and get right.

TDS

Post by TDS » Thu May 02, 2013 2:16 pm

As Les says, coming back to the town is a great opportunity to shout about the fact we are now not big mean businessmen raping the fans for money and running off leaving emotions in tatters. It will be an honest, progressive club. Involved in schools and charities and fundraising. Not the beast we were once perceived.

Once the town and businesses realise this, it could be plain sailing.

As has been said, probably the best way to combat the football clubs history is exactly what has been done, CIC, new club and no financial (not purely anyway) expectations.

The Singing Man

Post by The Singing Man » Thu May 02, 2013 3:00 pm

love it! wrote:I've got to disagree. The best thing Singh could have done is pass on the footballing share and everything else is academic.
Sorry mate,
just look at Kettering. While it hurt like hell at the time, and was so so wrong.I am far happier with where we are than there fans must be now.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Thu May 02, 2013 3:08 pm

At least we can experience promotion again, if we had remained in the BSN I could only have seen successive relegations due to lack of funds to compete.

For a lot of younger fans this is the first promotion they have ever seen and will lock them into Darlo for life.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu May 02, 2013 3:24 pm

TDS, SLM, you make it sound so simple.

A return to the town feels no closer now than 9 months ago.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu May 02, 2013 3:36 pm

Spyman wrote:TDS, SLM, you make it sound so simple.

A return to the town feels no closer now than 9 months ago.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
I strongly believe it will happen, I just don't know how fast and the implications that would come with delays.

I don't think it will be easy and possibly even harder than many believe but we will get there.

We just need a plan that we can all get behind and support but just enjoying being champions today.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu May 02, 2013 3:39 pm

The Council really should help, like now. Before, they had to be careful, so as not to look incompetent if they got stitched up by one of our numerous former owners. But now??

There are no more dodgy "business men" up to devious stuff,and as I understand it assets will be locked.

Think of all the people at Bishop last night. Buying petrol, food, drinks. This money should be going to Darlington businesses, benefiting the town.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Thu May 02, 2013 4:35 pm

A kick in the Jacobs wrote:Without a hint of irony, Raj's actions really were the best thing that could have happened to the club.

The crowds Darlo have had whilst being based outside of the town have been very pleasantly surprising and it points to there being a solid foundation of support to build on for future years. I really thought the 14-15 miles or so to Bishop would have more of a negative effect on the support. Some people could travel that distance and go to Boro.

If, say, in 6 years time we're in the Conference, I expect Darlo's support to be higher than it would have been if the club had just bobbed around that division for all those years. I know there will be no way of proving this but history would support that view. In addition to the, hopeful, continued success to increase the support base there is also the inherent potential of 'the moving back to Darlo' factor.

Admittedly, I do not expect Darlo's support to reach a 5,000 solid core, but I certainly believe this and the imminent future years has and will generate a lot of belonging and togetherness amongst the fans that will be stronger than it's ever been before. This, I believe, is what every fan should have. Not a hatred of other clubs but a strong pride in their own.

The many, many people who has been involved in Darlo's rise should feel very proud of themselves. There will be tough times ahead but if, during such times, you can refer back to how you feel right now the desire to keep pushing the club forward should remain.

Thank you all for your efforts. They have been very much appreciated.

Finally, this season has helped me become far more rounded in the knowledge of the Northern League and I will miss it (even after all the '-gates' there's been). I'd never previously appreciated its stature and of its members and it delights me that Darlo have helped raised its exposure. I certainly intend to take far more interest in it going forward.
Was placing us at Step 5 wrong, without doubt and quite lucky, we could have just as easily being place in NL2, was this avoidable, I reckon not, Radgie Singe has us by the knackers re: The Football Share...

Although I am a recent Daro fan, this season re-affirmed my love, because for once I was a part of something special, I was part of something and felt accepted by all Darlo Fans.

This season has learnt me to take nothing for granted in football, I have also learnt that the authorities will be quite happy to bend you over and shaft you up arse.

It has been an eventful season overall, especially with ticketing issues and Spenny losing form made it good for us.

I will never forget this season until I leave this mortal coil, the season that saw Darlo kick me in the bollocks and kidnapped me so to speak...

To paraphrase Churchill 'If Darlo exist for 1000 years, fans will always say 'this was there finest hour' certainly on the fans part anyway, we have the best 12th man in my opinion.

But right or wrong, we have the best 12th man

At the end of the day, we as, the fans have everything to be proud of, we were there, nobody can take that away from us, and we should keep the memories stored away so we can tell future generations that we were there
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Thu May 02, 2013 6:44 pm

I don't think support ever goes away; it can just lie dormant for a while. I once stood in a crowd of sixteen and a half thousand at Feethams for an end of season promotion match against Torquay - still have the match report. Didn't see much though - as a ten year old - just other peoples legs!

The Singing Man

Post by The Singing Man » Thu May 02, 2013 6:50 pm

1966, 0-0 draw last game and a nightmare of tension. Stuffed them 4-0at there place but could not get near on Feethams. Remember like yesterday I was stood on the terrace between the tinshed and paddock.
Think it was 14,500 not 16. Not sure.
Nearly gotmy glasses smashed during the after match celebrations in front of the directors box and somehow a shed load of us wound up inside the stand trying to get into the changing room. Nearly had ribs smashed in the crush. GREAT DAYS