Extension granted

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

al_quaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Extension granted

Post by al_quaker » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:29 pm

Ælla wrote:It seems just like a lot of sour grapes from us. If we (Darlo) were in the same situation as Spenny we would have been complaining bitterly about fitting all the games in and also needing an extension. Should a team be penalised for winning games? Of course it is not ideal to have to extend the season but to fit in almost 50% more games in the season is not fair on the players. This is an amateur league where players have to fit in work commitments (and have lives) and to expect them to play consecutive days is a big ask. Good luck to Spennymoor I say.
My issue is not with Spennymoor, but with the Northern League. I'm sure they didn't mean too, but their actions have created an unfair situation which favours one team over another.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:30 pm

Aella see your point to a degree. It's also interesting looking at Northernlads musings, however, let's strip this right back to the main point. Any competition should have the same rules applied fairly to all competitors. It's as simple as that.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Ælla

Post by Ælla » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:44 pm

I agree but what could they have done about it? Spenny kept winning and the problem got bigger each week. Ideally there should have been plans laid a long way back for such a situation but the FA had its dates already set and can't change them easily to suit all of the various competitions. It was never going to suit everyone, but I think a winning team with that amount of extra games should be given some special consideration.

Ælla

Post by Ælla » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:45 pm

I can't really understand what's with all the "Tin pot league" comments? How many have enjoyed going to games this season better than previous years? This is an amateur competition where people play for the love of the game and supporters are happy to stand in the rain to watch. Where you can go and watch your local team play every week without much too travel. Where the football is played with passion and not with over inflated egos. Naturally I want to see promotion like everyone else, but I can't complain about the Northern League as they have done what they could in a difficult situation with too many teams. It is not possible to please everybody all of the time.

shawry

Post by shawry » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:52 pm

What annoys me is that teams in other leagues have gone all out to finish May 6th.

I don't blame Spenny, this is down to the NL/FA - the NL should of been aware of this situation, hell every fan of every club knew it was going to be an issue a long time ago, although to say the season has only been extended for Spenny isn't quite accurate, as Dunston, CN, and NB all have had their seasons extended too ;)

As has already been stated, the FA should of extended for all step 5 leagues, and the NL should of allowed other teams to schedule upto 17th May.

Im not overly bothered from a Darlo point of view, as in all honesty I don't expect Spenny to get enough points, its from a football point of view the NL, and FA have just reinforced opinions that many hold of them.

This could of been avoided by addressing the issue a long time ago, instead of repeatedly stating that everyone would be able to finish on time.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:52 pm

We're calling them tinpot because they're acting that way.

And I'm sorry but what has happened is totally unfair. You can't just change rules mid-season to benefit one team; especially a team who have cancelled league games to prioritise the cup.

It's also suspicious that Spenny have a member on the NL committee and it smacks of corruption.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:53 pm

shawry wrote:This could of been avoided by addressing the issue a long time ago, instead of repeatedly stating that everyone would be able to finish on time.
Exactly. They were stating for ages that the season would finish on time, and there'd be no extension, then suddenly they pull this out of the bag.

shawry

Post by shawry » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:54 pm

Ælla wrote: but I think a winning team with that amount of extra games should be given some special consideration.
possibly, but why just one league/team? how is it fair to other teams that have a massive backlog, yet scheduled games to ensure they met the deadline.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:56 pm

Ælla wrote:I agree but what could they have done about it? Spenny kept winning and the problem got bigger each week. Ideally there should have been plans laid a long way back for such a situation but the FA had its dates already set and can't change them easily to suit all of the various competitions. It was never going to suit everyone, but I think a winning team with that amount of extra games should be given some special consideration.
They should have allowed every team to play until whatever the new deadline is - that would have been fair. They shouldn't have changed the rules late on to the benefit of one team out of two in the title race. If you are going to change the rules, change them a couple of months ago so both teams in the title race can benefit from them.

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:58 pm

Nail on head from al_quaker

I also agree with the positive post above about the Northern League to an extent but its clearly ridiculous to have one team refused an extension and another granted one. Its also balls to have teams playing competitive matches when they expected to be on holiday. It undermines the integrity of the competition. I don't blame Spenny at all but as has been said - can you imagine it happening in professional football?

As for the Northern League bashing comments I think part of it is driven by the hostility that was waiting for us on Non League Zone when we joined, comments made by some clubs, officials etc during the season but also I think some of our fans are enjoying giving it loads. All our lives we have supported a lowly 4th division team - now all of a sudden we are being seen as the Billy Big Timers and I think some posters on here are relishing this.

shawry

Post by shawry » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:01 pm

Ælla wrote:I can't really understand what's with all the "Tin pot league" comments? How many have enjoyed going to games this season better than previous years? This is an amateur competition where people play for the love of the game and supporters are happy to stand in the rain to watch. Where you can go and watch your local team play every week without much too travel. Where the football is played with passion and not with over inflated egos. Naturally I want to see promotion like everyone else, but I can't complain about the Northern League as they have done what they could in a difficult situation with too many teams. It is not possible to please everybody all of the time.
Ok to start with, its an amateur league that allows progression within the framework of the FAs pyramid, so it should be run professionally, if it wants to be amateur then it should step outside of the pyramid.

As for enjoying the football more than previous years, some games, others not so much, we are so far ahead of the rest that tbh, large parts have been dull. From the football point of view, I would of preferred we weren't so much better, however I'll take the fact we are so that (hopefully) we can get out of this division at the first time of asking.

And again, everyone knew this was going to be an issue a long time ago, and raised it with the NL, just to be told that it wasn't a problem, and all games would be completed on time. Once they decided to extend, EVERY team should of been afforded the same luxury.

Darlo_N

Post by Darlo_N » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:14 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Ælla wrote:I agree but what could they have done about it? Spenny kept winning and the problem got bigger each week. Ideally there should have been plans laid a long way back for such a situation but the FA had its dates already set and can't change them easily to suit all of the various competitions. It was never going to suit everyone, but I think a winning team with that amount of extra games should be given some special consideration.
They should have allowed every team to play until whatever the new deadline is - that would have been fair. They shouldn't have changed the rules late on to the benefit of one team out of two in the title race. If you are going to change the rules, change them a couple of months ago so both teams in the title race can benefit from them.

Spot on!

Take for example our 2-2 with Bish, that was played after a Saturday and Monday game on the Wednesday. If we were told about the extention that game would have been played later and could have given our hard working lads a chance to rest. The result could have been anything, but at least we could say it was a fair fight.
DARLINGTON - NORTHERN LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2012/2013

mensamoo

Post by mensamoo » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:24 pm

If Spenny are overworked then I think they deserve their summer holiday. I'd like the season extended to next September when they should be allowed to finish their games for this season after starting next season. Problem solved.
let's get a new FA. This one's broken.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:31 am

Just seen this, and it goes to show what a fucking joke the FA are.

1 rule for some clubs & then rules for others.

Set of fucking idiots.

TDS

Post by TDS » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:22 am

To be fair, how does it sound like sour grapes when we STILL have the best chance of winning the league, despite handfuls of s*** being thrown at us throughout the season? :think:

Spenny cancelled games with the intention of putting the absolute most pressure on the FA/NL to extend the season, if we had done the same you can guarantee we wouldn't have been allowed any extension (funny how we weren't at all).

It's the imbalance that is riling, nobody will disagree the situation is ridiculous in regards to fixtures, but make it the same for everyone. :wave:

crapname

Post by crapname » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:25 am

Something else that needs to be considered is the precedent that this sets for next season.
There can be no real pressure for any team to complete their games by the dates specified.
Why bother trying to cram games in at the end of the season when you could just rearrange them for two or three weeks after the deadline?
Clubs from now on can just point out that Spennymoor were allowed to rewrite the rules so surely every club can do this in future.

Good job that we wont be around to see this.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:17 am

crapname wrote:Something else that needs to be considered is the precedent that this sets for next season.
There can be no real pressure for any team to complete their games by the dates specified.
Why bother trying to cram games in at the end of the season when you could just rearrange them for two or three weeks after the deadline?
Clubs from now on can just point out that Spennymoor were allowed to rewrite the rules so surely every club can do this in future.

Good job that we wont be around to see this.
Another nail on the head post.

Is there any point having a fixture list in this league? Surely teams can now just choose when they want to play and stick two fingers up at the NL and FA.

God I hate this league.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:43 am

It means leagues all around the country will be leaving mid weeks free prior to FA Cup & FA Vase Saturday matches for the whole season.

I guess the FA have said that this is allowed as you can just play these games after the season has finished. Why would other teams detriment themselves when they can give themselves a better chance against the NL who have been protected by doing this since the dawn of time.

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:32 am

They'll just argue that this season is an exceptional circumstance given the weather we've had.

Still doesn't change the fact that the NL have been biased as hell because of their strive for the FA Vase.

Like it or lump it Mr. Amos, you simply can't give one team an extension and not give the same benefit to others. You cannot argue this point.

Either it's every team gets an extension or none at all.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

MattClarkesLeftPeg

Post by MattClarkesLeftPeg » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:11 am

northernlad73 wrote:
BlackandwhiteBOB wrote:Tunbridge Wells aren't going to be in the mix for promotion from there league though right? So if that's correct it kind of makes your use of them as an example pointless.
I wasn't the one quoting TW fixture lists, merely pointing out that they have got games after the Vase final as well. 2 games I believe from their exhaustive 34 game League season.
Which part of a 17 team league will play 32 games you absolute tinpot, pitchfork waving, sister shagging, dog molestoring, inbred chunt!

Geordie Quaker

Post by Geordie Quaker » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:35 am

There will undoubtedly be some errors in the below, but I simply had to email both Mr. Appleby and Mr. Amos about this:

Dear Mr. Appleby and Mr. Amos,

I am one of what I assume will be many Darlington FC fans contacting you regarding the recent (although not yet formally announced) decision to extend the Northern League season, consequently allowing Spennymoor Town to play their remaining league matches beyond the original May 7th deadline and still be eligible for promotion. Whilst we naturally hope that we can win our remaining games and make this a somewhat moot point, I and many others are quite staggered by this decision and are hoping that you can answer a number of questions on the issue:

- Why were Darlington not allowed to rearrange one match to beyond the previously stipulated May 7th deadline? This refusal led to us playing 3 games in 5 days (from 13th – 17th April), the latter of those we drew owing to conceding late goals. If the league is eventually won as a result of this game, then this refusal could potentially cost us the league title. Is it the case then that two title contenders have been treated differently?

- Spennymoor Town have had multiple opportunities to play outstanding league games, however numerous midweek ‘windows’ have been left empty to help the team prepare for upcoming FA Vase ties. I care not which party is responsible for this, but how can an extension be granted when there have been numerous times in the regular season when fixtures could have been played?

- From this, can we assume that the FA are happy with this sort of precedent being applied to the top leagues in English football with the subsequent media interest this would generate?

- Why have the FA moved their parameters on this issue so late in the football season? In an email dated 18th June 2012, Mr. Appleby replied to a prior email of mine with the following statement:

“The FA and the leagues are required to apply football's rules consistently and proportionately to maintain the integrity of fair competitions”.

It is very hard to consolidate this statement with the extension, regardless of circumstances. Have the FA applied their rules consistently and proportionately in this case?

- As a more procedural point, this news has become public to Darlington FC fans via an email between a fan and Mr Amos. Is this an appropriate means of communicating such significant news?

- The final point is solely for Mr. Amos: less of a question and more of a request. I strongly recommend that you stop using your “Chairman’s blog” section of the Northern League website to post inflammatory comments aimed towards one set of fans. It is totally unprofessional and does nothing for the reputation of the league you are responsible for.

I very much look forward to your responses to the above questions. I have not extended this discussion to other step 5 leagues in the pyramid, but assume that those at the FA are of the wider reaching consequences of this decision.

Many thanks,

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:40 am

Geordie Quaker wrote:There will undoubtedly be some errors in the below, but I simply had to email both Mr. Appleby and Mr. Amos about this:

I am one of what I assume will be many Darlington FC fans contacting you regarding the recent (although not yet formally announced) decision to extend the Northern League season, consequently allowing Spennymoor Town to play their remaining league matches beyond the original May 7th deadline and still be eligible for promotion. Whilst we naturally hope that we can win our remaining games and make this a somewhat moot point, I and many others are quite staggered by this decision and are hoping that you can answer a number of questions on the issue:

- Why were Darlington not allowed to rearrange one match to beyond the previously stipulated May 7th deadline? This refusal led to us playing 3 games in 5 days (from 13th – 17th April), the latter of those we drew owing to conceding late goals. If the league is eventually won as a result of this game, then this refusal could potentially cost us the league title. Is it the case then that two title contenders have been treated differently?

- Spennymoor Town have had multiple opportunities to play outstanding league games, however numerous midweek ‘windows’ have been left empty to help the team prepare for upcoming FA Vase ties. I care not which party is responsible for this, but how can an extension be granted when there have been numerous times in the regular season when fixtures could have been played?

- From this, can we assume that the FA are happy with this sort of precedent being applied to the top leagues in English football with the subsequent media interest this would generate?

- Why have the FA moved their parameters on this issue so late in the football season? In an email dated 18th June 2012, Mr. Appleby replied to a prior email of mine with the following statement:

“The FA and the leagues are required to apply football's rules consistently and proportionately to maintain the integrity of fair competitions”.

It is very hard to consolidate this statement with the extension, regardless of circumstances. Have the FA applied their rules consistently and proportionately in this case?

- As a more procedural point, this news has become public to Darlington FC fans via an email between a fan and Mr Amos. Is this an appropriate means of communicating such significant news?

- The final point is solely for Mr. Amos: less of a question and more of a request. I strongly recommend that you stop using your “Chairman’s blog” section of the Northern League website to post inflammatory comments aimed towards one set of fans. It is totally unprofessional and does nothing for the reputation of the league you are responsible for.

I very much look forward to your responses to the above questions. I have not extended this discussion to other step 5 leagues in the pyramid, but assume that those at the FA are of the wider reaching consequences of this decision.

Many thanks,
A brilliant and very well worded email. I look forward to a full response.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:42 am

Geordie Quaker wrote:There will undoubtedly be some errors in the below, but I simply had to email both Mr. Appleby and Mr. Amos about this:

Many thanks,
Very well put, and I look forward to hearing the response!

swadquaker

Post by swadquaker » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:46 am

Excellent summary Numb. I just cant understand how the FA can justify this to Guernsey and Tunbridge, let alone the other NL members.From our experience usually they say that our rules, no matter how unfair, must be adhered to.

Darlo_Manc

Post by Darlo_Manc » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:47 am

northernlad73 wrote:
Bogratsteve wrote:None will have complained as they have been in the NL for a while and will not be surprised at the ludicrous decisions made, just us upstarts that were used to playing by the football league rules in the past.
And you haven't grasped the concept yet that you are playing in an amateur league many levels below the Football League.
I play in an amateur league at the weekend 11aside, one team did very well in the cup run through the same league structure as well as the Manchester Amateur Cup which is seperate so missed a lot of league games. Even they had to play 3 games a week to meet the deadline for the end of the season and this really is in a tinpot league that I play in.

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:06 am

Hilly wrote:

Many thanks,
A brilliant and very well worded email. I look forward to a full response.

I wouldn't hold your breath! You may pick up a throw away line on Amos' Blogg though, sandwiched in between his musings regarding lunch with Spenny's Chairman and dinner with West's!
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:08 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22276361
...second-placed Guernsey remain 18 points off Combined Counties Premier Division leaders Egham Town with five games in hand.

"At the moment we're a little bit below par and mentally and physically weary and other teams are up for it," Fallaize said.

"It was the first time in a long time that we've lost back-to-back games and we've got to find a way to pull ourselves out of it."

But Fallaize says something must be done to prevent fixture pile-ups.
Guernsey will play 20 league games between the start of April and 6 May, including four in a row over the Bank Holiday weekend.

"It's ridiculous, but that's the nature of the beast. That's the way it's fallen on our plate and we have to deal with it," he added.

"I think it's a ridiculous situation and any organisation that runs football should have a look at it."

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:22 pm

If I was the FA, I'd really go to town on the Vase. I am a purist, and the traditional random factor of the draw was as all cup comps should be. But when they introduced the regional element it highlighted that they were trying to officially reduce travel, but realistically to loosen the stronghold on the North East and the South West.

Lets go one step further. There are 14 leagues at this level. Each league will have a league cup. Make the league cup winners qualify as sole representatives for the Vase, and then have a round of 16 (topped up by the finalists from the previous season) down to the final. That way, there are fewer matches (cup games culled by a third in one go). The best teams will be sure to be in it. The league cup is enhanced as it matters all of a sudden, and a lot let travel involved. And it would force the league cup matches to be played when they're supposed to, and not when they can be fitted in. I wonder how Amos would like that.

Geordie Quaker

Post by Geordie Quaker » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:25 pm

In full fairness to Mr. Amos, his reponse was immediate. However he has not in my opinion adequately addressed the issues I posed, so the conversation (hopefully) continues (outlined below). No response from Mr. Appleby as yet.

His response:

Thank you for your email - as you suggest, one of very many on the same topic. To take one of your final issues first, my blog has been almost universally supportive of Darlington and appreciative of the club's fans. Quite right, too - almost all of those I;ve encountered or had dealings with have seemed to me very good football people.
One of the perhaps unavoidable effects of social media is that those who for whatever reason make the most noise attract similarly empty vessels. I'm afraid I can do nothing about that, but it should not detract from my admiration and gratitude for what the Quakers and their fans have brought to the Northern League this season.
It does seem to me, however - and the point is fairly genialy conceded by many of those concerned - that many in the Darlington camp suffer from paranoia to a greater or lesser degree. It's what comes, they say, of so many disappointments down the years and I accept that in the same cheerful spirit.
It's utter folly, however, to suppose that there is any sort of conspiracy against Darlington. If I have brought nothing else to the Northern League, I hope that I have brought scrupulous honesty and fairness.
Specifically, and by common consent, we havea season of unprecedented difficulty - mainly because of the weather, partly because the first division has been running with 24 clubs. We had the option of declining to take Darlington 1883, who would then have started in the Wearside League, but were clear that we should do so in an attempt to help the club and its people. That seems very easily to have been forgotten.
Darlington have had many fewer games to play - partly because they weren't in national competitions, partly becauyse they chose to play weakened sides in other cups and partly because Heritage Park, until recently, has worn surprisingly well. Notwithstanding those unique difficulties, and to our surprise, the FA insisted that all games affecting title issues should be completed by May 7.
Another problem, I suppose, was that Spennymoor kept on winning in cup competitions. For several years it has been the league's practice to allow clubs, if they wished, a "free" midweek before later stages of the Vase and it would have been incredibly perverse to have denied that opportunity to Spennymoor. Certainly we would not have done to appease Darliongton, or any other club.
So it seemd possible to fit in Quakers' fixtures before the FA deadline. As Spennymoor recorded win after win, and then had a trwo-leg Vase semi-final on successive Saturdays, it became clear that their outstanding fixtures couldfn't be crammed in without being inhumane and, possibly, inhuman. We were looking at 11 or 12 games in 14 days. Impossible.
So the league secretary arranged some games after May 7. The FA hasn;t instructed us to do otherwise and I'm genuinely surprised that Darlo fans found that unfair. I don;t know what the FA reaction would be if Spennymoor won the title after the May 7 deadline but I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen.
My guess is that you'll win the league by five or six points and I wish the club every success in its attempt to retain its former status. I do feel, however, that many supporters might enjoy things more if they ditched the conspiracies - and, preferably, ditched social media an' all.
Good luck with it all
Mike Amos

My subsequent email:

Thank you for your reply. I think the talk of conspiracies and references to paranoia do not really belong in this conversation; I would prefer to stick to things that are more factual in nature. What I would say is that asking fans to ditch social media seems a tad hypocritical given your use of an online blog to communicate your take on league matters.

You have not addressed some of the points I raised in my initial email. I still do not get a feel for:

a) Why we were not allowed to rearrange a game for after 6th May: you say we have had less games but still played Sat, Mon, Wed, Sat. I would class that as fixture congestion, but your email infers that it is not. In which case what does class as fixture congestion?

b) Why clubs should be offered free weeks ahead of Cup ties. Just because this has been done before doesn’t make it right – in fact, one may presume that having a larger league and poor weather may encourage the League to rearrange matches whenever they can. Surely a club’s priority should be to fulfil their league obligations within the clearly stated period?

These points are central to the decision to offer an extension to one club and not the other. This is not paranoia on my behalf, this is a perceived injustice. I cannot understand why a change in rules for one club (to essentially help them compete) and a refusal to offer the same to another team can fit with your ultimate goal of “scrupulous honesty and fairness”.

I would very much appreciate a further response focused on my two questions above.

Kind Regards,

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:34 pm

Very calm, reasoned and eloquent stuff there Geordie Quaker, thanks for taking the time to ask the questions for us.

I was worried one of the less intelligent members of the board were going to take it upon themselves to send a 'DEAR MR AMOS Y DO U HATE DARLO SO MCH AND LUV SPENNY BRING BK HODGY LOL TB XXXXXXXXXXXXXX