5 years from now ?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

footifan
Team Supported: Darlington

5 years from now ?

Post by footifan » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:20 pm

Just read this on BBC Football:

Stirling Albion v East Stirlingshire is less about glory and razzamatazz and more about survival - there is no relegation from the division and the fight here is against extinction.
The sides are two of only three teams owned by fans in Scotland. They also both sit precariously above rock bottom, and just one point separates them from Clyde at the foot of the table - who happen to be the other fan-owned team.
Think of fan ownership and you may think of the Barcelonas and Bayern Munichs of this world, but now add Bainsford - where East Stirlingshire are now based - to that list. The club shop on Main Street, which doubles as the club's offices, is now the focal point of the football club after they moved out of former home Firs Park to begin ground-sharing with neighbours Stenhousemuir.
Club secretary Tadek Kopszywa explains: "It was the only way for our club to continue to exist. From our own perspective our own way forward was for the fans to take over the club simply to secure the club's existence.

East Stirlingshire's club shop and office
"Someone asked me if I have a five-year plan for the football club and I said 'yes I have a five-year plan - to exist in five years' time'."

Just got me wondering where we might be in 5 years time as a fan run club. Then I watched Wigan making the FA cup semi finals, Swansea who were so close to going out of the Football League winning the League Cup.I remember Darlo playing both of these clubs on a regular basis not too long ago. Makes you wonder...
I know we have had a run of bad owners but some clubs seem to get lucky with owners. Personally unless we get a decent backer, (our club set up will deny that in the future) we are probably going to struggle for success after a few years of hopefully climbing up the pyramid.
I am a half full rather than half empty type of person, but what do you think we can realistically expect in the next five years ?

Quakerz

Re: 5 years from now ?

Post by Quakerz » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:27 pm

BSN - if we have an appropriate ground.

Maybe BSP - same ground scenario applies.

And unless we get a lucky season, we'll struggle to be more than also rans in the BSP, as long as half of the clubs have rich backers.

But I'd take being back in the BSP over the NL any day.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlo Till I Die

Post by Darlo Till I Die » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:28 pm

Quakerz wrote:BSN - if we have an appropriate ground.

Maybe BSP - same ground scenario applies.

And unless we get a lucky season, we'll struggle to be more than also rans in the BSP, as long as half of the clubs have rich backers.

But I'd take being back in the BSP over the NL any day.
Totally agree!
Our Football Clubs Are For Life Not Just For Business

Darl-Zero

Post by Darl-Zero » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:35 pm

BSN - with hard choices for fans to make along the way.

Like whether to return to the Arena to double the crowds (although it wont seem like that all packed on one side).

Or having to have less expensive players, or settle for mid-table.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:36 pm

I reckon a few clubs will have no option but to become fan owned in the next few years. There will be a levelling out, those clubs with owners with deep pockets will climb the leagues and everyone else will be left behind. Football will implode when debts get too high and banks and the taxman get impatient for their money back.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:38 pm

loan_star wrote:I reckon a few clubs will have no option but to become fan owned in the next few years. There will be a levelling out, those clubs with owners with deep pockets will climb the leagues and everyone else will be left behind. Football will implode when debts get too high and banks and the taxman get impatient for their money back.
I sort of agree but we've been saying that for a decade now and nothing has changed.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:46 pm

BSN I would like to think but I reckon we could get stuck in this league for a period, the play-offs in the Evostick and BSN leagues could be life savers at keeping us interested. Imagine this season if we had been the same level as say Bishop in 5th, you know a good team but not a hope of winning the league - I wonder how many would of still actually been interested.

The other alternative in 5 years time is that we could still be waiting on Spenny to finish the seasons fixtures from the 2012/2013 season!

ted_do

Post by ted_do » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:03 pm

I am not sure Darlo can survive as a stand alone football club with its own ground. Without a investor then any ground will be at best tin pot and will not be a destination venue that could draw in non match day revenue. It would be interesting to see if the town could support a DFC as part of a sporting hub at Eastbourne bringing in extra revenue by being used everyday, even if it not a money maker at least the town would get the benefit of a community sports complex. Eastbourne is great but under used and when the council pull the cash it will quickly fall into rack and ruin meaning even less for the kids to do in the town.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:09 pm

Quakerz wrote:
loan_star wrote:I reckon a few clubs will have no option but to become fan owned in the next few years. There will be a levelling out, those clubs with owners with deep pockets will climb the leagues and everyone else will be left behind. Football will implode when debts get too high and banks and the taxman get impatient for their money back.
I sort of agree but we've been saying that for a decade now and nothing has changed.
In the current economic climate there will be more clubs getting into trouble trying to keep up with unsustainable budgets and debts.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:42 pm

Quakerz wrote:
Nothing has changed?

Rangers, Leeds, Portsmouth, us etc ad infinitum. It's snowballing & won't be long before the snowball is unstoppable. :roll:

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:53 pm

Interesting final score here.

Stirling 9 E.Stirling 1

Regarding our position, it would be a job well done to get back into the Conference.Even if we end up just making up the numbers in mid table.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:05 pm

Where we expect to be is a good question to ask the board members from the CIC on Tuesday.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:35 pm

I would be happy if I have a team to support at all, I am a miserable and pessimistic old sod, just me though.

I think in 5 years we can be pushing on mid-table in the BSN
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:28 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Interesting final score here.

Stirling 9 E.Stirling 1

Regarding our position, it would be a job well done to get back into the Conference.Even if we end up just making up the numbers in mid table.
I don't think that was part of their 5 year plan!!

Quakers1883
Team Supported: Quakers

Post by Quakers1883 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:33 pm

fozzovmurton wrote:I would be happy if I have a team to support at all, I am a miserable and pessimistic old sod, just me though.

I think in 5 years we can be pushing on mid-table in the BSN
Not just you, I would also be happy as long as we still have a team to support although I would like to think that we had reached the BSN by then.
FORZA DARLO

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:00 pm

I thought 5 year plan was 2 promotions?

That would see us in Evostick Premier in 5 years. Which suggests to me that only after that time was it seen viable by the previous board to have a ground to then get into BSN (that's my guess as to the reason behind that timescale anyway!).

I think we could get stuck at BSN for 2-3 years, but we need to get there as quick as we can and fly through the EvoStick.

The reason I would say we'd get stuck at BSN is that it has some ex-league clubs & phoenix's clubs who would provide stiff competition, saving grace is that the likes of Halifax/Chester/Boston may have already gone up by the time we get there.

Also the precident the FA set with us any other clubs that fall foul financially will have to start from where we did - what is the betting Pompey somehow don't have to though...

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:07 pm

I thought it was 2 promotions in 3 years, twice. Or 4 in 6 years.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:10 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:I thought it was 2 promotions in 3 years, twice. Or 4 in 6 years.
Think is was 2 promotions in 4 years...but this was part of a 5 year plan - so it's anyone's guess what was expected in that 5th year!?

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:25 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Makka Pakka wrote:I thought it was 2 promotions in 3 years, twice. Or 4 in 6 years.
Think is was 2 promotions in 4 years...but this was part of a 5 year plan - so it's anyone's guess what was expected in that 5th year!?
No, it is as I said...

http://www.darlofc.co.uk/news/1016
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:38 pm

well it changed by here...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23054&hilit=trust

"What is the five year plan for the club and where does the move back to Darlington fit in this?

The published five year plan was to achieve two promotions in four years. Where the move back to Darlington fit in this will depend on which option is pursued. Heritage Park is adequate for the Premier Division of the Northern Premier League."

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:21 am

lo36789 wrote:I thought 5 year plan was 2 promotions?

That would see us in Evostick Premier in 5 years. Which suggests to me that only after that time was it seen viable by the previous board to have a ground to then get into BSN (that's my guess as to the reason behind that timescale anyway!).

I think we could get stuck at BSN for 2-3 years, but we need to get there as quick as we can and fly through the EvoStick.

The reason I would say we'd get stuck at BSN is that it has some ex-league clubs & phoenix's clubs who would provide stiff competition, saving grace is that the likes of Halifax/Chester/Boston may have already gone up by the time we get there.

Also the precident the FA set with us any other clubs that fall foul financially will have to start from where we did - what is the betting Pompey somehow don't have to though[/]...

I suspect Pompey will be treated different because they are in the Football League and we, as well as Scarborough, Chester, Halifax etc were not...

What would be the best punishment for teams like Pompey, should it be reform at Step 5 or 6 or something like we got a straight 4 step relegation which would put Pompey at Step 3
442 Football Crazy Admin

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:52 am

I'm sure I read somewhere that as Portsmouth are members of the Football League then the Football League reserve the right to place them anywhere within their set up if they so wish, not automatically expel them.
COME ON DARLO!

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:07 am

MikeinBlack wrote:I'm sure I read somewhere that as Portsmouth are members of the Football League then the Football League reserve the right to place them anywhere within their set up if they so wish, not automatically expel them.
This subject is a whole other discussion, but, that is the way I understand the FL Rules, that they reserve the right to do with there member clubs what they please, they did with Leeds in 2007.

All ruling bodies in English football need to come up with a policy of how to deal with clubs going bust and rules that everybody understands and signs up to

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2
442 Football Crazy Admin

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:52 am

loan_star wrote:
Quakerz wrote:
In the current economic climate there will be more clubs getting into trouble trying to keep up with unsustainable budgets and debts.
This report seems to confirm what you say.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21713435

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:20 pm

BSN at least

Dave_from_London

Post by Dave_from_London » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:27 pm

I think we'll be in the BSN in 5 years from now. I recon we'll win back to back promotions from now till we reach the BSN and then we'll stay there for some years.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:50 pm

Top end of BSN would be a success for me.

The plan was stated as 4 promotions in 6 years, but being re-assessed if we progressed quickly, so potentially 4 promotions in 5 years if we go up this year and next.

All depends on the ground grading though, as Quakerz points out. We could quite easily stall and not get the momentum back.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:18 pm

So basically the plan is to be back in the Conference in 6 years, to be honest, I can't see that happening, I just pessimistic miserable sod, I reckon we will be in the Blue Square North hanging about in the top half.

Let's hope plans are in place for a new ground are in place by the 2015/16 season at the very latest and get a deal and deal with Mowden about a temp groundshare
442 Football Crazy Admin

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:48 pm

fozzovmurton wrote:So basically the plan is to be back in the Conference in 6 years
Just hope I'm still alive to see it. :roll:

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:03 pm

joejaques wrote:
fozzovmurton wrote:So basically the plan is to be back in the Conference in 6 years
Just hope I'm still alive to see it. :roll:
So do I...but the way I am going I will croak it before we get out the Evo-Stik Prem

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2
442 Football Crazy Admin