FA - no extension to the season

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Robbie Painter
Team Supported: Darlington

FA - no extension to the season

Post by Robbie Painter » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:35 am

...beyond May 4th for matches affecting promotion. Taken from Mike Amos's blog:
Having told me only last week that games could be played until the second Saturday of May, the FA today announces that all matches affecting promotion from the first division must be complete by May 4, which in any case is the day of the Vase final. Other games may be allowed for a few days after that.

It seems wholly unfair on teams with backlogs through no fault of their own, especially those themselves still dreaming of Wembley – and right now, I don’t know an answer.
http://www.northernleague.org/blog/view ... s_blog.php

Darlospike

Re: FA - no extension to the season

Post by Darlospike » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:50 am

Fantastic news for us really, but we too could be sucked into a 3 games a week scenario. That said, Celtic Nation are screwed!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:01 am

Fucking ridiculous and just shows what a waste of time organisation that the FA really are.

A 46 match season plus 4 cups at this level is unprecedented, and insane. The sensible thing for the FA to do if this season turns into a huge struggle for some clubs would be to ensure that next season the Northern League is forced back down to 22 (and their new rule states step 5 leagues can't have more than 22 clubs!), but as we can see - the FA are not sensible. They're out of touch with the little guys at the bottom.

Yes I know this news could play into our hands, but I'm just appalled at the FA. Again.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:15 am

I agree with Quakerz but at the same time fully sympathise with Spenny, who are seemingly being pressurised for having a successful season in the cup competitions as well as the league.
True, it could benefit us, however if we need to play two or three games a week (Bishop have to arrange any backlog too don't forget) we could very well lose out as our squad doesn't appear to be as great in depth as Spenny's is at the moment.
The FA is definitely losing the plot on everything outside the top flight.....they stagger belief!
COME ON DARLO!

Darlospike

Post by Darlospike » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:30 am

Quakerz, does this really surprise you? They hinder the league's not assist them as they could/should, but we all know this. The amount of cups is a farce considering the size of the league. This is down to stagnation of the league, again the FAs fault. All the also rans, this is their only chance of glory so they rightly take every cup seriously. Thinking outside the box here, but could you not do one of the cups pre-season?, like a proper tournament over a couple of weeks in the summer? Would be a good money spinner, ease fixtures and get players up to speed ready for the season, rather than friendlies.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:42 am

Just been looking at Spenny's fixtures...

They're already Saturday - Tuesday - Saturday through February, leaving only the midweeks in March and April free, of which there are 7. They still have 9 league matches and 1 D.C.C match to arrange - already 10 fixtures to arrange which means playing 3 times a week on at least 3 weeks.

This is BEFORE any progression in cups which leaves more League games to be re-arranged, and BEFORE any more postponements of matches already arranged - let's not forget we're only at the end of January and that they'll be lucky to get to the end of the season without another match or two called off.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlospike

Post by Darlospike » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:50 am

Would be interesting to find out potentially, say if Spenny got to the final of the cup/s, with league games, how many games they will play? Got to be knocking on 80/90 games surely? Ridiculous amount!

Neil_Heaneys_Pace

Post by Neil_Heaneys_Pace » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:37 am

bout time other clubs got the FA treatment, just glad we are on the other side of it at the moment.

promotion at all cost! whether it be fair or not. If it helps up go up, ill take anything.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:44 am

Darlospike wrote:Would be interesting to find out potentially, say if Spenny got to the final of the cup/s, with league games, how many games they will play? Got to be knocking on 80/90 games surely? Ridiculous amount!
70 games should they reach all the finals. We will play 48
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:01 am

Wonder what FA would do if clubs hadn't finished season by 4th May & why Premiershit/ FA Cup Final goes on until 18th May?

Darlospike

Post by Darlospike » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:03 am

quakersam wrote:
Darlospike wrote:Would be interesting to find out potentially, say if Spenny got to the final of the cup/s, with league games, how many games they will play? Got to be knocking on 80/90 games surely? Ridiculous amount!
70 games should they reach all the finals. We will play 48
Thanks for that Sam, hell of an amount when you factor in preseason games too! Dont think many pro clubs could manage that to be honest.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:22 pm

spen666 wrote:Wonder what FA would do if clubs hadn't finished season by 4th May & why Premiershit/ FA Cup Final goes on until 18th May?
Its always one rule for them and another for us. They only care about the highest league.
Its a disease spreading to the TV broadcasters too. FA cup live games nearly always have to feature a premier league team and then they run a competition in the ad breaks to win season tickets complete with travelling money to.....

....a premier league team of your choice :roll:

shawry

Post by shawry » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:48 pm

Darlospike wrote:Quakerz, does this really surprise you? They hinder the league's not assist them as they could/should, but we all know this. The amount of cups is a farce considering the size of the league. This is down to stagnation of the league, again the FAs fault. All the also rans, this is their only chance of glory so they rightly take every cup seriously. Thinking outside the box here, but could you not do one of the cups pre-season?, like a proper tournament over a couple of weeks in the summer? Would be a good money spinner, ease fixtures and get players up to speed ready for the season, rather than friendlies.
I dont think you have to enter all the cups, Im assuming its just expected that you do.

As for the FA to blame for the stagnation of the league, I dont think you can push all the blame on their door for that, any clubs refusing promotion (regardless of reason, as I dont want to be finger pointing) has played a part.

At this stage, and with the way we have lost so many games, Id of tended to try and be a bit radical, and move the last 2 weeks of the season we have back a fortnight, and use the 2 week gap it creates to fit in the extra games, this is far from ideal, and will screw up fans and players alike I assume, however it would mean that games arent being played after the season end that could influence promotion/relegation.

DTID

Post by DTID » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:04 pm

Poor form by the FA however, this awful decision by the FA should go in our favour. Although we could have done with an extension ourselves, Spenny are in a poor position now. I will be amazed if Spenny continue in their winning ways. Before they know it, they will be playing 3/4 games a week which their players won't be used to. They'll pick up injuries and I can see them struggling unless they increase their squad numbers significantly before all those games.

The problem with Spennymoor is they want fingers in all the pies. I don't think it is physically possible for them to win everything.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:06 pm

Come on we are not really surprised at the FA surely? If there's a bad decision to make they are your men and its not even a gamble - they make it everytime. Its a level of consistency you can only admire.

Be interesting with Spendy - I think they are going to have to make some tough decisions - most particularly with a view to the Vase matches. Do they allow there best players to miss matches in the week leading up to them? Guess it will depend whih they would rather win (my suspicion is that the Vase will take priority for as long as they are in it.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:11 pm

It will be interesting to see what Spennymoor's priorities will be.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:47 pm

I was really surprised that they went through on Monday evening in the Durham Senior Cup, can't see any advantage of progressing in that competition. Plus if they progress in the FA Vase to the quarter finals I believe, games have to be played home and away on consecutive Saturdays. Good for us, bad for them.

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:29 pm

Typical of the FA. Whilst this should benefit us, with the number of games still to be played, and almost certainly another couple of posponements whilst we're in the grips of the winter, we will probably end up with a three game week. Spenny and Celtic Nation are in severe trouble. Spenny have the squad to weather it though. Ideally we want them to be beaten in the semis of the vase (horrible to say i know), and this may make them think twice about taking promotion if they win the league.

I can't see how we can fit all the games in now without an extension of some sort because of the duplication of fixtures and conflicts across the league.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:19 pm

Look on the bright side, if we did have a 3 game week it wouldnt cost that much more in total than a home game last season!

shawry

Post by shawry » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:07 am

TBH, from a purely selfish point of view, I would think there is more chance of a 2nd promotion spot being offered if the league struggles to complete its fixtures, knowing that the FA have said step 5 should have no more than 22 teams anyway.