new stadium/new ground

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

quakers123
Team Supported: Darlington

new stadium/new ground

Post by quakers123 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:36 pm

:crazy:
come on lets get this right you keep on about our new ground as stadium,we just left one behind,what ever we build will not be classed as stadium but a ground, there is a split as to the bishop ground and playing back at the arena.

WE NEED A VOTE,(1) WHO WOULD WONT TO GO BACK TO THE ARENA
(2) PEOPLE HAPPY PLAYING AT BISHOP
i think if we had the chance to go back we could increase our fan base if the rugby club will invite us that is,how many kids are they in DARLINGTON SCHOOLS these kids were just starting to come to the arena before the arena went tits up,we need these kids back,and we need them in the town because these kids cant travel to bishop and are getting left out of the club they really LOVE.

quaker4life

Re: new stadium/new ground

Post by quaker4life » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:36 pm

quakers123 wrote::crazy:
come on lets get this right you keep on about our new ground as stadium,we just left one behind,what ever we build will not be classed as stadium but a ground, there is a split as to the bishop ground and playing back at the arena.

WE NEED A VOTE,(1) WHO WOULD WONT TO GO BACK TO THE ARENA
(2) PEOPLE HAPPY PLAYING AT BISHOP
i think if we had the chance to go back we could increase our fan base if the rugby club will invite us that is,how many kids are they in DARLINGTON SCHOOLS these kids were just starting to come to the arena before the arena went tits up,we need these kids back,and we need them in the town because these kids cant travel to bishop and are getting left out of the club they really LOVE.
It is a resounding NO from me, I have made my feelings of the white elephant very clear it destroyed the club nothing would have changed there and had we stayed it wouldn't have been long before we were in the s*** once again.

If 3 administrations doesn't convince you it has failed nothing ever will.

Yes we need to back to the town but hopefully in a venue that is practicle for the club's needs, not that empty bowl.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Darl-Zero

Post by Darl-Zero » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:59 pm

I think we need to be pragmatic rather than knee jerk. So its a yes if needed from me.

And I agree that Feethams and HP were/are a better atmosphere than all being stuck on one side facing empty seats.

If we went back paying rent we could focus our efforts on purchasing a piece of land initially, then gradually build up funds to construct upon it.

Maybe have the right-sized venue as a stated aim.

We didn't go bust because of the empty concrete.
The professional playing squad was many times the cost of running the stadium. Same as Chester who went bust at the Diva stadium but have now moved back and are managing their finances much better.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:05 pm

Bit of a difference between the Arena and the Exacta
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

jarramel

Post by jarramel » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:12 pm

Although i can't see it happening i think if a good deal was struck it could be a goer.
Another thought is if / when we get a new home what do people think the initial capacity should be?

connor2k7ovdarlo

Post by connor2k7ovdarlo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:13 am

The arena should be a no no, full stop.
><
X

Darlo Till I Die

Post by Darlo Till I Die » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:05 am

jarramel wrote:Although i can't see it happening i think if a good deal was struck it could be a goer.
Another thought is if / when we get a new home what do people think the initial capacity should be?
4'500
Our Football Clubs Are For Life Not Just For Business

Big Tim

Post by Big Tim » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:48 am

5k-10k with possibility to upgrade to around about 15k-20k would be ideal.

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:56 am

Whatever the minimum Football League standard is at the time of building, because that's where we aspire to be once more.
COME ON DARLO!

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:06 am

big upgrade that Tim

Seriously, it is unlikely that in forseeable future Darlington would ever need a ground that big. Look at maximum crowds at the Arena and consider how few times Feethams, even with a sub 10,000 capacity ever sold out.

It would be better to have a ground that is occassionally sold out than to have one that is too big - look at the lack of atmosphere at the Arena - would it be worth having that for the sake of one large crowd once every 5 or so seasons.

To have a ground that could have such a large capacity would need to have sufficient parking / transport links to satisfy local residents objections and those of the council.

Realistically, given modern crowds at football, apart from Drawing Man U or a similar club) at home in the FA Cup will Darlington get gates in excess of 10,000 even assuming they are back in the football league.

The other factor is a bigger ground will result in bigger costs to construct and bigger running costs, thus saddling the club with more debt ( mortgage) and higher running costs. Given the lessons from the Arena - that is something to avoid.

IMHO a ground that can be expanded when needed to a capacity of 10,000 would probably be about the right size. I think the issue of capacity will be decided by the size of the plot of land the club can find and its location (ie transport/ parking etc).

The ground does not need to be of football league size immediately as long as it can easily be expanded to meet those criteria. To build it that size now is as I said above saddling the club with debt before it needs it. Better to spend the money on the team or building up funds until it is needed. For example if Bishop's ground were taken as a model, it would be easy to build a seated stand down the open side when those extra seats would be needed, and the same behind the other goal with covered seated/ standing added when needed

The sad thing (and its true with most new grounds) is that it will almost certainly not be in the town centre. That to me limits the attendances at lower levels as the casual fan doesn't go as its too much effort to get to.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:22 am

For me an ideal capacity would be 6,500. We do very occasionally (at league level at least) draw a crowd of that size, so wouldn't lose out financially for those big games - and the ground itself would be small enough to be not completely empty with 1,500-2,000 in it.

Even Feethams with a final capacity of 8,400, was quite empty with crowds of 1,500-2,000.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:51 am

If the arena was a viable short term option I wouldnt have to much of a problem going back there. I prefer Heritage Park but its not in Darlo which for me is more important than anything else. As Quakerz says, 6500 would be an ideal size, probably a Chester style stadium.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:52 am

Tim, why would you look for somewhere that had potential to increase to 20k? We might aswell go back to the arena if that is long term aspiration!

Similar thoughts to Quakerz. A big main stand, a 'larger' end terrace, then 2 smaller stands would be my ideal. Only the main stand would have any 'facilities' in it the others would basically be concrete/metal blocks with mobile food/toilet facilities almost and any utility burden can be switched off easily. Get 7 day usage out of main stand.

Set up sounds familiar doesn't it?

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:59 pm

anyone have any idea how much something like the old south stand would cost? With or without a roof?

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:06 pm

D_F_C wrote:anyone have any idea how much something like the old south stand would cost? With or without a roof?
Which old South Stand? You mean the South Terrace, or the old West Stand?
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:56 pm

Mr_Tibbs wrote:
D_F_C wrote:anyone have any idea how much something like the old south stand would cost? With or without a roof?
Which old South Stand? You mean the South Terrace, or the old West Stand?

Or the north or the east .....
Think before posting

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:06 pm

I think he meant at Feethams thus the reference to covered/uncovered. I don't want a carbon copy of Feethams but do feel that a covered and uncovered terrace at either end plus two all seater stands down the sides is the way to go. Feels like it would meet requirements and be cost effective - well I assume it would be - sounds like roofs are quite expensive!

DL5

Post by DL5 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:08 pm

loan_star wrote:If the arena was a viable short term option I wouldnt have to much of a problem going back there. I prefer Heritage Park but its not in Darlo which for me is more important than anything else. As Quakerz says, 6500 would be an ideal size, probably a Chester style stadium.
Pretty much reflects how I feel, whatever is best for the club at every step on the long road back.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:15 pm

South Terrace at Feethams?
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:33 pm

Ingleby wrote:
South Terrace at Feethams?
Yes the south terrace, I reckon it could hold 2,000 and it seemed to require brick but may not have cost that much, i could be wrong

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:35 pm

The south terrace had an official capacity of 2,500 I believe, it was a sizeable terrace.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:49 pm

Does anyone know how many levels of terracing deep it was at it's biggest point (obviously it was quite an irregular shape (like much of Feethams!)

Darlo Till I Die

Post by Darlo Till I Die » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:51 pm

For our new ground in terms of steering etc. we will have the tin shed which we can have back, our moveable stand. So thats behind both goals sorted. All we need interms of stands is a main stand!
Our Football Clubs Are For Life Not Just For Business

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:19 pm

lo36789 wrote:Does anyone know how many levels of terracing deep it was at it's biggest point (obviously it was quite an irregular shape (like much of Feethams!)
It think at least 30 steps deep, maybe even 40.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:58 pm

Darlo Till I Die wrote:All we need interms of stands is a main stand!
Hummm.

We don't have the tin shed - we have it's roof, I think the main structural stuff may be involved with the terracing beneath that roof!

The main stand is the thing that is going to cost the most, although the rumours were/are that there is a main stand in storage and further rumours were that it would cost around £2million to rebuild. Although thinking back did someone suggest this had been nicked?

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:04 am

South terrace
5x6 plus back row 1or 2

So 32 steps deep.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:09 am

lo36789 wrote:
Darlo Till I Die wrote:All we need interms of stands is a main stand!
Hummm.

We don't have the tin shed - we have it's roof, I think the main structural stuff may be involved with the terracing beneath that roof!

The main stand is the thing that is going to cost the most, although the rumours were/are that there is a main stand in storage and further rumours were that it would cost around £2million to rebuild. Although thinking back did someone suggest this had been nicked?
Re the East Stand....

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19314

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:16 am

lo36789 wrote:

The struts of the tin shed are the only thing reusable. The roof is, to put it mildly - fucked !
Oh and yes , the east stand is long gone now.
Think before posting

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:48 pm

Just for interest here's a nice 12,000 seat stadium which I remember someone posted here once - shows the sort of thing you can do with four terraces and a bit of ingenuity.

Le Stade de la Licorne, home of our twin town Amiens:

Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

Quakers1883
Team Supported: Quakers

Post by Quakers1883 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:10 pm

Looks like the Raptor enclosure from Jurassic Park!
FORZA DARLO