notts and sven

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Magical Quakers
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: notts and sven

Post by Magical Quakers » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:10 am

They're having a news conference now that is being shown live on the BBC website (apparently it's also on Sky but I can't see that from my office).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport

God my Notts supporting workmates will never shut up about this :(

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:45 pm

The appointment of Eriksson isn't the bizarre part of this for me, it's the issue of a hugely-financed consortium taking over a lower league club which has little recent history of sustained success. Is there now a prospect of more rich foreign owners coming into the English game and raiding the lower tiers? What effect will this have on these leagues?

In some ways it's easy to be envious of Notts County, but on the other if it happens more often it could skew the whole competition for some time to come.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:07 pm

it was only a matter of time before one of these rich foreign consortiums tried to take a club right from the bottom to the top, rather than buying an already established premier league side.

notts county was a good proposition as they already have a large stadium c20k, some history of partial success in the last 20 years, and are based in a city - the infrastructure is all there apart from the money and player aspect which will be addressed.

proper "championship manager" stuff.

Geordie Quaker

Post by Geordie Quaker » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:50 pm

Aye, maybe these types found out that Hull were in the bottom tier a while back and thought "it must be a doddle".

Although I don't really rate their manager McPartland, you have to feel sorry for any manager who ends up with a DoF over him, especially one so high profile. If the pair of them see the season out together I would be very surprised.

Also re. that other thread where everyone has assumed that a high budget will get them promoted, do us Darlo fans learn anything from previous experience?