Goodwill to all men but............

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Goodwill to all men but............

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:10 pm

It’s the time of year to reflect, and for my part I'm going to find it hard to put behind me the actions of our most recent former chairman. It’s good that he’s no longer the number one subject on here - as it’s no use living in the past - however let’s not forget where we are, and why.

Previously on planet Darlo he’d allowed us to sleepwalk out of the football league then reckoned he hadn't seen it coming. Relegation battles are nothing new to Darlington Football Club but on past occasions (apart from one) we managed to go the extra distance and fight back. Heritage, history, passion! Not important or applicable this time it would seem. He let us limp away from the top 92 without fully realising the consequences.

Wembley was great, but I’d gladly trade our Trophy victory for us to still be a full time club, and of course - we all know what happened next ………. after previously stating many times that the club had to be run in a proper way Mr Singh put in place a s*** or bust budget that simply didn’t hold water, he then reneged on player contracts, failed to successfully negotiate anything positive with anyone, then when things seemed about as bad as they could get, he chose to walk away without appearing to lift a finger to help us change into a fan owned club, like he intonated he would do. We might have, even at this late stage, been able to consolidate and play in the Blue Square North. But no!

Was Mr Singh hoping that the Council and the Arena owners would be left with a major headache after he bailed out? If so, recent events have shown otherwise. What’s more, I am still at a loss to understand what R.S. achieved by his final act of not agreeing to a C.V.A. Did he profit financially from this move? Or was there some other reason why he took this choice?

Unfortunately we’re now finding out what a long road back it’s going to be for us, but what really bugs me - when I see us playing in The Northern League, is the thought that this entire mess could have been avoided.

I’m not wanting or expecting everyone on here to agree with this post, I’m just putting down my personal viewpoint, which is “move on, yes -forget, no”
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

carver30

Re: Goodwill to all men but............

Post by carver30 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:31 pm

Well put my feelings exactly, watching the game in the rain on Tuesday brought it home when the kids wanted to go at half time as they were just to cold and wet.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:34 pm

The only reason I can think why Radged Strings did not agree to the CVA (knowing he would get nowt EITHER way) was to fuck us over, pure and simple. There can be no other reason, if he has a valid reason I'd like to hear it.

He toyed with us throughout the administration, forever "indicating" one thing then doing another, trying to add impossible strings etc, for whatever reasons who knows?

I find it hard to believe in hindsight that we tried to find a resolution with a man that left us to die in January and all but succeeded, and we negotiated like nowt had happened, as if he suddenly wanted the club to survive? But hindsight is a wonderful thing, the rescue group and then board had to negotiate to keep us alive, and put countless hours of blood, sweat and tears in only to have it thrown back in their faces.

I honestly wish him the worst for christmas. In fact I wouldn't want to put in print what I REALLY think.
Last edited by Quakerz on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:35 pm

carver30 wrote:Well put my feelings exactly, watching the game in the rain on Tuesday brought it home when the kids wanted to go at half time as they were just to cold and wet.
Yeah it was wet if you were senseless enough to a) not have an umbrella, and b) not seek cover, but cold? I cannot think of a colder place than The Arena. I was not cold at all on Wednesday.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Ron

Post by Ron » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:45 pm

Stop beating yourselves up over RS. He would probably enjoy the fact he is still being talked about.

Just move on and enjoy what is happening NOW.

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:46 pm

carver30 wrote:Well put my feelings exactly, watching the game in the rain on Tuesday brought it home when the kids wanted to go at half time as they were just to cold and wet.
Most people wanted to leave the arena early because it was just plain crap

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:54 pm

It was nice and warm in the boxes though :shh:
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:57 pm

Quakerz wrote:
Yeah it was wet if you were senseless enough to a) not have an umbrella, and b) not seek cover, but cold? I cannot think of a colder place than The Arena.
Not to mention senseless enough to turn up on Tuesday when the match was on Wednesday...
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:01 pm

LOL.

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:06 pm

I have to admit, the thing that gets to me the most is the name change.

Just about accept the demotion, moving to Bishop, but Singh left a lasting mark on the club by keeping hold of the football share and forcing the FA to view us as a new club, which we all know we aren't. He did it out of spite, realised he was getting nothing so played the last card he had, which was keeping the football share.

All the time effort and money that went into keeping us alive from January onwards and then being told by them idiots at the FA in May/June time that we were a new club was the worst part of it for me. There was no liquidation (really wish someone would change the wikipedia page as well, troll heaven on there).

Having said that, if moving down means we have no more 'No Soul Bowl' Arena and no more money grabbing mercenaries leeching off the club, then long term it is worth it. It is going to be a potentially long and frustrating journey back to where we should be, but we have still got our football club, and personally I am looking forward to it, and have loved what I have seen so far this season. The board, the management team are all Darlington FC people and care about the club, and the passion and commitment showed by the players so far this season has been immense.

Here's hoping for a good 2013, the foundations are in place for next year to be a cracker.

Darlington FC, since 1883.
Football clubs are for life, not just for business.

Darlington FC since 1883.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/YoungGow86

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:16 pm

It's been a hell of a year when you think back. A very dramatic first few weeks as well! The gutting 0-1 defeat at home to Gateshead on New Years day followed by what we thought would be the club's funeral a week later at Barrow, then the last minute salvation on the 18th.

Hope I never have to go through anything like that again following this club, it felt like every day something new came along to kick us in the nutsack. Anyone remember that WTF moment when Houghton was claiming he was getting back involved? Plus; the FA, that loan deal thing, Fleetwood being cocks etc. etc.

In the end, yeah Raj Singh a complete arsebirth who shagged us over all along, but I think in trying circumstances everyone involved with good intentions did the best they could with the cards we'd been dealt. If you drew up worst case scenarios back in January then what we ended up with would be pretty high up that list, but despite that I still feel grateful and optimistic about where we've ended up.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:22 pm

Been an rough one but were still here and top of the league and Raj and the like won't be getting a Xmas visit from Santa as they are on the naughty list along with Disco Stu, here's to maximum points over the Xmas break

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:55 pm

B.B.C. Sports Villain Of The Year. Mr Raj Singh. :thumbdown:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:19 pm

I didn't understand at the time and still don't understand now how the football share was ever the property of that man instead of belonging to the football club. How he was ever in a position to hold over us the one thing we needed to actually play in the league baffles me.
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:38 pm

mikkyx wrote:I didn't understand at the time and still don't understand now how the football share was ever the property of that man instead of belonging to the football club. How he was ever in a position to hold over us the one thing we needed to actually play in the league baffles me.
Couldn't agree more. Really does beggar belief that the FA allow that. What genuine reason could an individual have for 'owning' the football share other than to give themselves such a ridiculous bargaining position in insolvency events like ours?

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:27 pm

Gow9900 wrote:I have to admit, the thing that gets to me the most is the name change.

Just about accept the demotion, moving to Bishop, but Singh left a lasting mark on the club by keeping hold of the football share and forcing the FA to view us as a new club, which we all know we aren't. He did it out of spite, realised he was getting nothing so played the last card he had, which was keeping the football share.

All the time effort and money that went into keeping us alive from January onwards and then being told by them idiots at the FA in May/June time that we were a new club was the worst part of it for me. There was no liquidation (really wish someone would change the wikipedia page as well, troll heaven on there).

Having said that, if moving down means we have no more 'No Soul Bowl' Arena and no more money grabbing mercenaries leeching off the club, then long term it is worth it. It is going to be a potentially long and frustrating journey back to where we should be, but we have still got our football club, and personally I am looking forward to it, and have loved what I have seen so far this season. The board, the management team are all Darlington FC people and care about the club, and the passion and commitment showed by the players so far this season has been immense.

Here's hoping for a good 2013, the foundations are in place for next year to be a cracker.

Darlington FC, since 1883.
So....does this thing about Singh still owning the football share not show the FA up for being a set of fannies?

Or did the current board not try / decide to buy the share off Singh?

Be interrelated in the current boards view in this.

If Singh is asking for a stupid amount for the board to buy the share - then fine.

But it'd be nice to know the facts on this. If the above is the case, the I think true football supporters should know this.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:30 pm

If I recall it has strings attached that we could not agree to

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:33 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Wembley was great, but I’d gladly trade our Trophy victory for us to still be a full time club, and of course - we all know what happened next
I wouldnt swap that moment for anything despite what followed!!!
That will remain with me along with the few other truly memorable moments I have had watching Darlo.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:40 pm

Bogratsteve wrote:If I recall it has strings attached that we could not agree to
Yeah that's right.

Singh attached two conditions - relating to money we'd get from the Dan Burn clause(s) and from the development of the Arena land.

The 1883 board/rescue group were willing to accept those conditions, but the FA said we couldn't.

Rock, hard place.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:38 pm

So the FA are fannies. Happy for a football share to belong to an individual who will never run a football club again?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:09 pm

loan_star wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:Wembley was great, but I’d gladly trade our Trophy victory for us to still be a full time club, and of course - we all know what happened next
That will remain with me along with the few other truly memorable moments I have had watching Darlo.
Agreed.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:41 pm

Spyman wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Agreed.
Who knows, maybe we wouldn't have come back from the dead if that moment hadn't reminded everybody why we do it.
That remains my no.1 Darlo moment.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:50 pm

You'd have enjoyed it more if you'd turned up on WEDNESDAY night like the rest of the crowd.

Also, it would have been as cold no matter who you were playing or where you were playing. The temperature isn't affected by the league you play in (unless you play at Eindhoven's Stadium with their electric heaters on the roof)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ted_do

Post by ted_do » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:31 am

Carver, good post and I get what you mean about kids being cold and wet, unless your in the main stand its dismal for kids, as they don't want to stand in the open even on a sunny day never mind when they are getting soaked.

Mine won't go to watch Darlo any more, my wife won't go, most of my mates don't go any more, it's all dieing off for me.

Hope that one day when we are back in darlo and up a couple of leagues then the fire will be reignited, until then I will try and grit my teeth and drive to tindel to see what's left of my home town team.

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:55 am

spen666 wrote:

You'd have enjoyed it more if you'd turned up on WEDNESDAY night like the rest of the crowd.

Also, it would have been as cold no matter who you were playing or where you were playing. The temperature isn't affected by the league you play in (unless you play at Eindhoven's Stadium with their electric heaters on the roof)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I beg to differ. Suffer 90 minutes in the Arena Fridge and you'll think differently.

Darlo-Richie

Post by Darlo-Richie » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:29 am

To be honest, even if we had got the "share" I doubt it would have made any difference, the FA seemed determined to make an example out of us, the fact that they threw out our appeal in a very short time makes that very clear to me.

Raj Singh is not worth the time or grief, he showed his true colours when he realised he'd get nothing either way.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:35 am

ted_do wrote:Carver, good post and I get what you mean about kids being cold and wet, unless your in the main stand its dismal for kids, as they don't want to stand in the open even on a sunny day never mind when they are getting soaked.

Mine won't go to watch Darlo any more, my wife won't go, most of my mates don't go any more, it's all dieing off for me.

Hope that one day when we are back in darlo and up a couple of leagues then the fire will be reignited, until then I will try and grit my teeth and drive to tindel to see what's left of my home town team.
Oh woe is fucking me ted.

Our average this season despite the level is 1,300. Yes we've lost a proportion of fans due to I suspect the level, and of course being out of town, but it seems from your overly bleak post that nearlyall of the lost people are your friends and family.

Unless of course you are exaggerating like fuck, you massive self pitying attention seeker.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:50 am

I remember when I was a kid some of the non league ground my Dad took me to and I loved it they didn't have seats! Sometimes it was just normal league games other times it was for Darlington pre-season matches.

In fact one game, such was the layout of the ground I ended up having a kick about with our subs to the side of the pitch which included Jason De Vos and Glen Naylor.

What an awful experience it was.

Ted, when you take your kids to firework displays what do you do? When you take them anywhere where there isn't seating and cover available?

Jacko

Post by Jacko » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:13 pm

poor c#nts.....1st teds mates dont go anymore, then lol69 had an awful experience with glenn naylor....boohoo.....

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:17 pm

can't work out if u missed the sarcasm or if your playing some of your own?