can any one confirm spennys application for promotion?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

darren
Team Supported: Darlington

can any one confirm spennys application for promotion?

Post by darren » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:13 pm

was just wondering if there is a list of teams that have applied not just spenny.see spenny got a good point last nite lol.no disrespect to all our other compratiots in the league but seems a two team race at the moment.oh well done to durham for coach travel from train station. :clap:

Christophano

Re: can any one confirm spennys application for promotion?

Post by Christophano » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:50 pm

Spenny have a meeting at the end of the month where they'll decide whether to apply our not.

darren

Post by darren » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:58 pm

cheers.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:08 pm

Christophano wrote:Spenny have a meeting at the end of the month where they'll decide whether to apply our not.
Really, closing date is 30th of this month so not leaving much time to discuss and complete application.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

Mikedfc

Post by Mikedfc » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:11 pm

Is there ground up to scratch to go up?

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:38 pm

Ingleby wrote:
Christophano wrote:Spenny have a meeting at the end of the month where they'll decide whether to apply our not.
Really, closing date is 30th of this month so not leaving much time to discuss and complete application.
They will be filling the forms in regardless - so they can be sent if the decision turns out to be yes.

I have mixed feelings about them applying for promotion.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:47 pm

Quakerz wrote:
Ingleby wrote:
They will be filling the forms in regardless - so they can be sent if the decision turns out to be yes.

As exciting as it would be if us and Spennymoor were both going for promotion, I'd be much much happier if they wait until next season.

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:49 pm

Quakerz wrote:
Ingleby wrote:

I would of thought that any club serious about promotion should know long before the deadline whether to apply.

So is this an attempt at mind games? Not that they'll work.

I have a feeling they could apply for promotion at the end of the month, but possibly withdraw around the end of March or April time. Claiming some sort of unforeseen circumstance.

But then again, I don't think that they are that unprofessional.

Mikedfc

Post by Mikedfc » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:53 pm

Maybe they are seeing what the table looks like come the end of the month and base it on that? Wonder what the prize money difference between 1st & 2nd place and if that impacts there application?

PS Is there prize money????

Darlo will

Post by Darlo will » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:17 pm

So if spenny don't go for promotion and we come second do we go up? Either way we have to aim for winning the league
We score when we want
we score when we want
we are darlo
we score when we want

Mikedfc

Post by Mikedfc » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:20 pm

Darlo will wrote:So if spenny don't go for promotion and we come second do we go up? Either way we have to aim for winning the league
That is correct if they don't apply and win election gets offered to the next team. I think they only go as far down as third place if the 1st two teams don't apply.

Agreed winning it should be our aim then there's no ifs or buts

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:22 pm

Darlo will wrote:So if spenny don't go for promotion and we come second do we go up? Either way we have to aim for winning the league

Yes. And you are correct on your second comment as well.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:45 pm

Fibonacci0112358 wrote:
Quakerz wrote:
Ingleby wrote:

I would of thought that any club serious about promotion should know long before the deadline whether to apply.

I have a feeling they could apply for promotion at the end of the month, but possibly withdraw around the end of March or April time. Claiming some sort of unforeseen circumstance.

RCA done this last season and then dropped out as I think the ground was not ready. I don't think Spenny would do this to be fair although I get the impression that us being in the league slightly dented their plans.

A kick in the Jacobs
Team Supported: Narwich

Post by A kick in the Jacobs » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:47 pm

Quakerz wrote:I have mixed feelings about them applying for promotion.
I haven't. I couldn't give a toss about winning the title as long as we get promoted.

Neil G Johnson

Post by Neil G Johnson » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:27 pm

Spennymoor (before they went bust and re-branded) played in the Northern Premier aka Evo-Stick. They must have strengthened an already championship winning squad, so they would need a financial crisis to emerge to not go for promotion.

If an Evo-Stick club comes unstuck (titter titter) and gets kicked out there may be some possibility of 2 NL teams going up.

I get the impression that top NL teams would easily survive or excel in the Evo-Stick, provided that they can afford the costs of extra travel.

If Darlo can't secure a ground in Darlo soon to be quickly developed to standard, then they may be stuck at BA next season, or god forbid return to the "Reynolds/DCC" folly and fork out cash to an unpopular and murky MPRC outfit.

Hopefully we can buy out DRC and have lots of car parking and extra pitches for real football, rather than egg chasing, but that will need a proper CIC-1883 share issue and also lots of fans' fundraising, so buy lottery tickets and sponsor goals while we are waiting for the big news.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:39 pm

Neil G Johnson wrote:They must have strengthened an already championship winning squad, so they would need a financial crisis to emerge to not go for promotion.
I don't understand your reasoning? They have been strengthening championship winning squads for years to not take promotion because they have their 'long-term' plan which hasn't reached promotion year yet. It has nothing to do with the strength of their squad of finances...if you believe Spennymoor fans anyway.

gabbas

Post by gabbas » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:59 pm

Neil G Johnson wrote:Spennymoor (before they went bust and re-branded) played in the Northern Premier aka Evo-Stick. They must have strengthened an already championship winning squad, so they would need a financial crisis to emerge to not go for promotion.

If an Evo-Stick club comes unstuck (titter titter) and gets kicked out there may be some possibility of 2 NL teams going up.

I get the impression that top NL teams would easily survive or excel in the Evo-Stick, provided that they can afford the costs of extra travel.

If Darlo can't secure a ground in Darlo soon to be quickly developed to standard, then they may be stuck at BA next season, or god forbid return to the "Reynolds/DCC" folly and fork out cash to an unpopular and murky MPRC outfit.

Hopefully we can buy out DRC and have lots of car parking and extra pitches for real football, rather than egg chasing, but that will need a proper CIC-1883 share issue and also lots of fans' fundraising, so buy lottery tickets and sponsor goals while we are waiting for the big news.
We will be at BA next season and undoubtedly the season after, we wont be moving back the Arena (as it stands) and probably to Eastbourne or Darlington Rugby Club. I hope Spenny dont apply so we are gaurenteed.

MaddosMilkman

Post by MaddosMilkman » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:42 pm

gabbas wrote:
Neil G Johnson wrote:Spennymoor (before they went bust and re-branded) played in the Northern Premier aka Evo-Stick. They must have strengthened an already championship winning squad, so they would need a financial crisis to emerge to not go for promotion.

We will be at BA next season and undoubtedly the season after, we wont be moving back the Arena (as it stands) and probably to Eastbourne or Darlington Rugby Club. I hope Spenny dont apply so we are gaurenteed.
I didn't realise Spennymoor made the decisions as to who gets promoted fromt his league?

No-one is guaranteed anything, what's to say we won't suffer from a bad run of form, or lose a number of key players through injury or suspension at crucial parts of the season?

Thankfully Martin and the players don't have the same attitude towards promotion this season.

northernlad73
Team Supported: Spennymoor Town FC

Post by northernlad73 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:58 pm

I can confirm that Spennymoor have an application form for promotion
Unbelievable Jeff!!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:04 pm

northernlad73 wrote:I can confirm that Spennymoor have an application form for promotion
...omg...are you telling us that...spennymoor have internet access and a printer!?

northernlad73

Post by northernlad73 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:21 pm

No, we have been waiting for ours to come through the post.
Unbelievable Jeff!!

northernlad73

Post by northernlad73 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:24 pm

What are these magical sounding things you mention? The only nets we have are used to score goals in.
Unbelievable Jeff!!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:36 pm

northernlad73 wrote:What are these magical sounding things you mention?
Might want to look into it soon and get urselves on google maps - wouldn't want you deciding to go for promotion then realising how far away Manchester is!

A kick in the Jacobs
Team Supported: Narwich

Post by A kick in the Jacobs » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:38 pm

northernlad73 wrote:No, we have been waiting for ours to come through the post.
You're as good at hitting posts as you are nets, aren't you?

northernlad73

Post by northernlad73 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:45 pm

lo36789 wrote:
northernlad73 wrote:What are these magical sounding things you mention?
Might want to look into it soon and get urselves on google maps - wouldn't want you deciding to go for promotion then realising how far away Manchester is!
We know where Manchester is, it's takes 3 days to get there on a horse.
Unbelievable Jeff!!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:13 pm

This business about Spenny's ground not being Evo-stick standard has to be nonsense. They play at the same ground that they were at when they were last in the NPL 15 years ago or so, cos I used to go to see them when Darlo were away down South or postponed, and if it was fine then, why is it not now?

It never occurred to me in my visits to the Brewery Field that they would one day become our rivals. I always used to enjoy my visits there, very friendly set up. I even remember their chairman at the time discussing expanding the ground so it would get up to Conference standard, as they were about 8th at the time.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:59 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Fibonacci0112358 wrote:

RCA done this last season and then dropped out as I think the ground was not ready. I don't think Spenny would do this to be fair although I get the impression that us being in the league slightly dented their plans.
I'm almost certain Spenny will apply at the end of the month.

If they then decide later in the season they're not ready, they can decide to withdraw their application.

Much better that than not to apply, only to later regret not doing so.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

jarramel

Post by jarramel » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:47 pm

I keep reading about Spens long term plans.
Could anyone enlighten me as to how long is the
long term in Spen?

northernlad73

Post by northernlad73 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:05 pm

Spenny are in year 4 of a 5 year plan
Unbelievable Jeff!!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:18 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:This business about Spenny's ground not being Evo-stick standard has to be nonsense. They play at the same ground that they were at when they were last in the NPL 15 years ago or so, cos I used to go to see them when Darlo were away down South or postponed, and if it was fine then, why is it not now?
The standards for grounds will have likely changed in 15 years.