Just back from match

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

QUAKERMAN2
Team Supported: Darlington

Just back from match

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:36 pm

Could not believe this was the same side I saw beat Consett and Dunston, well beaten tonight and the best side won.Our 2 central defenders Perewal and Grieve were very, very poor and were muscled out of it far too often and looked very lightweight.Not one Darlo player can come out of this game with any credit and we seemed to lack any leadership or fight until it was too late.Johnson was an improvement on Reay who missed a couple of chances andNorton in goal I thought should have saved the first goal.We played some pretty stuff at times but their keeper only had 3 or 4 shots to deal with all night and Guisborough seemed physically stronger than us all over the park.Just hope this was a one off but a very poor Darlo tonight.

quakerste

Re: Just back from match

Post by quakerste » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:47 pm

Totally agree with you, however I would say Scott and Ellison were equally as bad as our two centre halves. Not once did they get hold of the ball and try to play it around.

cameron-darlo
Team Supported: Darlington, newcastle

Post by cameron-darlo » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:51 pm

agreed, we seemed to lack fight. once we went 1-0 down there wasn't much of a response, tonight was my first game of the season (due to work) and we were shocking at the back, seems like we missed Brown. going forward there wasn't much happening, pretty much zero end product. there was a lack of leadership as well... we weren't winning much in the middle of the pitch, i thought our CM's were a bit deep at times and it gave Guisborough time on the ball.
the Ref was shocking as well (not an excuse for the defeat), maybe tonight has shown the lads that it isn't going to be a walk in the park and we have to battle in every game.. we were going to lose eventually, now lets (hopefully) dust ourselves down and go on another win streak.
Last edited by cameron-darlo on Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:01 pm

wake up call people, Guisborough deserved victory, wanted it more than us lets hope this a minor blip for us, get back to winning ways on Saturday

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:08 pm

Crowd of over 1,300 must mean 1,000+ Darlo?

What a way to perform for such a good following?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

fanforlife

Post by fanforlife » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:31 pm

good sides can grind out results when they play badly . we don't seem to have that grit and steely side to us.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:31 pm

normally when I go to game you talk to a few people and end up wondering if you were watching the same game. However tonight the same themes emerged

1. the spine of the team was weak
2. lack of leadership when we went 1 down
3. shambolic defending by the centre halves. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but the 2 lads didn't gel at all. Ok purewal missed the header but why wasn't anybody covering. The Guisborough guy pulled us all over the place. Set pieces continue to be a concern.

Cliche time but Martin has probably learnt more from tonights game than the others. big wake up call. I agree with everything that as been said on this board.

walshys_wingman_11

Post by walshys_wingman_11 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:01 pm

what better way to guarentee a bumper crowd for your first home game on a Saturday... by winning our fifth game on the bounce.......wait this is Darlo isn't it ?

3BlackHoops

Post by 3BlackHoops » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:50 am

This forum makes me laugh sometimes. I mean, we were always going to drop some points/get beaten eventually.

Or were some people here expecting that we'd somehow go through the entire season unbeaten, without dropping a point?

Come on folks, get real. In some ways, if handled correctly, getting beaten after four straight wins may have done the players a favour as it will have reminded them that they need to give 100% in every game if we're going to get out of this division. At a guess, after four good wins out of four, some of them may have fallen into thinking that this league was going to be p**s easy.

All in all, we've had a good start, and we're still third. Saturday will tell us whether anything has been learned from this experience and whether the players can bounce back in front of their home crowd.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:41 am

We're being real, we got slaughtered at Guisborough. There's defeat and there's getting hammered.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:57 am

Quakerz wrote:We're being real, we got slaughtered at Guisborough. There's defeat and there's getting hammered.
Quakerz - if you'd been to more than 1 game this season you might have a more balanced, informed view.
Last edited by Robbie Painter on Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fanforlife

Post by fanforlife » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:59 am

3BlackHoops wrote:This forum makes me laugh sometimes. I mean, we were always going to drop some points/get beaten eventually.

Or were some people here expecting that we'd somehow go through the entire season unbeaten, without dropping a point?

Come on folks, get real. In some ways, if handled correctly, getting beaten after four straight wins may have done the players a favour as it will have reminded them that they need to give 100% in every game if we're going to get out of this division. At a guess, after four good wins out of four, some of them may have fallen into thinking that this league was going to be p**s easy.

All in all, we've had a good start, and we're still third. Saturday will tell us whether anything has been learned from this experience and whether the players can bounce back in front of their home crowd.
nobody thinks that we can go through the season without dropping a point . it was the sheer ineptitude of the performance that was worrying .

tezza

Post by tezza » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:16 am

Dreadful performance, we were outplayed and out fought across the park.
The back four were unrecognisable from previous games, can Brown be missed that much? Grieve is cumbersome and for his size lacks dominance in the air, Arjun has a bit of class about him, however needs a bit more size to be able to boss forwards, same comment for Amar.
No point talking about the lack of steel in midfield and as a consequence of this and back four capitulation hardly a surprise the forwards had scant service all night.
We were always going to suffer defeat at some stage, but there is being beat and being beat.
In any field it is dangerous to over estimate your self and under estimate the opposition, i suspect heads may have started to swell, if so it is a good early wake up for the whole set up. Sure MG will now try to in still a bit more spine into some of them. Hard work now is whats called for and for us fans to keep the faith and do our bit

divas

Post by divas » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:26 am

Not at the game but like you say, if the back 4 can't do their job then it's difficult for the rest of the team. A key feature of when we've played well has been Brown clearing up well and distributing simple balls to the full backs and midfielders. It seemed last night from I've read that it was just a case of get the ball forwards as quickly as possible.

Guisborough's 4-5-1 /4-3-3 formation probably threw us too with the midfield being overrun and the CB's not working together to track the front man. Hopefully training tonight is focused on how we can overcome this in future as no doubt other teams will be finding out how Guisborough managed to beat us so convincingly and we can't let it happen again.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:30 am

Robbie Painter wrote: Quakerz - if you'd been to more than 1 game this season you might have a more balanced, informed view.
Give me a break, what in living fuck has my attendance got to do with with how acceptable a 4-1 defeat is? Oh yeah NOTHING.

marskequaker

Post by marskequaker » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:37 am

Guisborough don't normally attract more than 100 people to their home games. The police were only expecting 60 away fans - seriously.

It wasn't that Darlington got beaten more how they were beaten - and I only saw 35 minutes of the match!

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:49 am

marskequaker wrote:Guisborough don't normally attract more than 100 people to their home games. The police were only expecting 60 away fans - seriously.

It wasn't that Darlington got beaten more how they were beaten - and I only saw 35 minutes of the match!

If they were only expecting such low numbers why was the place full of coppers?
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:58 am

Quakerz wrote:
Robbie Painter wrote: Quakerz - if you'd been to more than 1 game this season you might have a more balanced, informed view.
Give me a break, what in living fuck has my attendance got to do with with how acceptable a 4-1 defeat is? Oh yeah NOTHING.
Correct, nothing.

You entirely missed my point.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:09 am

You basically said I'm not allowed to say a 4-1 defeat is rubbish because I haven't been to enough matches.

moodymonica

Post by moodymonica » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:44 pm

Outfought, outplayed by a team that wanted it more.
Midfield were totally not at the races all night, they are too lightweight and all on a small size exceot Leon. Keeper shoudl have been on his line on more than one occasion and the Guisborough forwards obviously cottoned on to this early as they were quite willing to try and chip him from anywhere in our half.
The two lads that came on half way through second half offered nothing.
The centre half was absolutely clueless and gutless.
On a positive note, burger and chips were great value for £2.80.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:58 pm

moodymonica wrote:Outfought, outplayed by a team that wanted it more.
Midfield were totally not at the races all night, they are too lightweight and all on a small size exceot Leon. Keeper shoudl have been on his line on more than one occasion and the Guisborough forwards obviously cottoned on to this early as they were quite willing to try and chip him from anywhere in our half.
The two lads that came on half way through second half offered nothing.
The centre half was absolutely clueless and gutless.
On a positive note, burger and chips were great value for £2.80.
Really? Thought Nicholls was probably our best player once he came on, and he did score!
As for the keeper, all keepers come to the edge of their box when the ball is at the halfway line. Good on the Guisborough lads for trying to chip him from halfway, and nearly doing so.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:04 pm

That new centre back was shocking.

Hopefully get better with matches.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

marskequaker

Post by marskequaker » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:45 pm

Ingelby - the area the ground is located in is a magnet for a lot of ASB that takes place in Guisborough. The football fans weren't the problem. Its what was going on outside the ground whilst you were watching the match with 1326 others that was of concern.