Darlington v Marske Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Lawman3
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Marske Match Thread

Post by Lawman3 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:17 pm

I haven't enjoyed watching Darlo this much since Wembley. The second half was superb - the quality was as good as, if not better than, anything we have seen for quite a few years. I have to admit that i was expecting a more agricultural style of football in the Northern League, but I've been pleasantly surprised.

As regards the Ref, he did make a few strange decisions, but my opinion of him changed when he played advantage when Brown was fouled in our own box, and we then went up the other end and scored our first goal.

As for Johnson, he was very lively when he came on. He nearly scored a cracker when he knocked it over the defender and volleyed it goalwards, but the keeper made a good save. When he did smash in his goal, you could see what it meant to him.

It's night like these that remind me why I'm a Darlo fan.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:21 pm

divas wrote:Ref is getting a lot of stick but what about the great decision to play the advantage which we scored the first goal from. Certainly better than BSP officials from what I've seen so far
uncovered wrote:former pupil of eastbourne school. that place has provided some quality footballers in its time ;)
Never schooled in Darlington but I'd pretty much concluded that Eastbourne produced the best players.

Redcar_Quaker

Post by Redcar_Quaker » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:23 pm

As a Darlo fan of 30 years and someone with connections to Marske, I think I'm well placed to give a balanced view of tonight. Firstly, based on what I saw tonight, I'll be amazed if Darlo aren't in the top 3 or 4 at the end of the season. Having said that, while Darlo undoubtedly deserved to win I thought 3-0 was slightly harsh on Marske who arguably had the best chances in the first half (the superb goal saving tackle by Tom Marron excepted). Porritt should have chosen a better option than trying to chip the keeper and Wheatley headed over when he should have scored.

The ref has been given some almighty stick on here but as Divas correctly says, he played a brilliant advantage for the first goal so full credit to him for that. Also, two of Darlo's goals actually came from Marske attacks when Darlo counter-attacked to great effect. Certainly the pace of the Darlo midfield was something Marske couldn't cope with (not too surprising with a 34 and 38 year old in centre mid and missing their other 2 centre midfielders).

Overall, no doubt that the better team won and Darlo showed their strength in depth with the subs they were able to bring on.

Excellent crowd as well given that there were only around 40 from Marske.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:25 pm

princes town wrote:
divas wrote:Ref is getting a lot of stick but what about the great decision to play the advantage which we scored the first goal from. Certainly better than BSP officials from what I've seen so far
uncovered wrote:former pupil of eastbourne school. that place has provided some quality footballers in its time ;)
Never schooled in Darlington but I'd pretty much concluded that Eastbourne produced the best players.
Others schools might beg to differ, but it is good to have a Darlo lad playing.

Hummersknott - James Morrison
Haughton - Alan White

Any others out there.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:26 pm

Redcar_Quaker wrote:As a Darlo fan of 30 years and someone with connections to Marske, I think I'm well placed to give a balanced view of tonight. Firstly, based on what I saw tonight, I'll be amazed if Darlo aren't in the top 3 or 4 at the end of the season. Having said that, while Darlo undoubtedly deserved to win I thought 3-0 was slightly harsh on Marske who arguably had the best chances in the first half (the superb goal saving tackle by Tom Marron excepted). Porritt should have chosen a better option than trying to chip the keeper and Wheatley headed over when he should have scored.

The ref has been given some almighty stick on here but as Divas correctly says, he played a brilliant advantage for the first goal so full credit to him for that. Also, two of Darlo's goals actually came from Marske attacks when Darlo counter-attacked to great effect. Certainly the pace of the Darlo midfield was something Marske couldn't cope with (not too surprising with a 34 and 38 year old in centre mid and missing their other 2 centre midfielders).

Overall, no doubt that the better team won and Darlo showed their strength in depth with the subs they were able to bring on.

Excellent crowd as well given that there were only around 40 from Marske.
Can't disagree with a single word of that to be honest. Marske were a bit unlucky to be a goal down at half time but after the break there was no doubting who the better side were.

Christophano

Post by Christophano » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:29 pm

Did he play it as an advantage? Didn't look like he was going to give us anything anyway.

I thought Marske were quite good all told though. They were unlucky not to get one.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:32 pm

Hummersknott School - Elliot Gardner, Neil Pattinson but then I am biased...

Redcar_Quaker

Post by Redcar_Quaker » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:36 pm

Christophano wrote:
Did he play it as an advantage? Didn't look like he was going to give us anything anyway.

I thought Marske were quite good all told though. They were unlucky not to get one.
He did for sure, had his whistle to his mouth ready to blow but played on when he saw the advantage. You'll see a lot worse ref in this league for sure!!!

Darlo Fonz

Post by Darlo Fonz » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:38 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
princes town wrote:

Haughton - Alan White

Any others out there.
Carmel - Tom Craddock
Darlo Fonz
DARLINGTON FC

Christophano

Post by Christophano » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:40 pm

Redcar_Quaker wrote:
Christophano wrote:

He did for sure, had his whistle to his mouth ready to blow but played on when he saw the advantage. You'll see a lot worse ref in this league for sure!!!
I thought we'd seen or worst over the last two years! Good grief!

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:43 pm

Darlo Fonz wrote:
princes town wrote:

Haughton - Alan White

Any others out there.
Carmel - Tom Craddock
Carmel also produced Jon O'Connor who played for Everton, Sheff Utd and Blackpool, and England under 21s, in the 90s.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

Darlo Fonz

Post by Darlo Fonz » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:47 pm

AIDO may know some others! :P
Darlo Fonz
DARLINGTON FC

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:00 pm

princes town wrote:
It's a well known fact. :D

mensamoo

Post by mensamoo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:01 pm

Can i just put a small negative in here?? We were obviously dominant in all departments and Marske still had chances to score. I admire Darlo's patience and they came up with the right result. But it just takes one of those lapses to give us problems. It happened against the Bishops and we came through. It won't happen every time. If we lose 5 games all year we could lose out.
let's get a new FA. This one's broken.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:07 pm

I swear we had chances to score another 4 or 5 though. How that lad managed to block on the line I will never know, the save from the keeper from Steve Johnsons strike was superb and again when Johnson cut in on his left foot and only narrowly missed the near corner. There were a number of others as well that I can't remember off the top of my head.

mensamoo you annoyed me in another thread already tonight so maybe I am being overly negative on you - but seriously get a grip. In any game of football the other team will have chances how do you think Chelsea managed to beat Barcelona last season! How do you think any backs-to-the-wall 1-0 win ever occurs.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:09 pm

That's just this level though, players make mistakes, that's why they are playing here. Teams will get chances every game that's why there's some crazy score lines. As a result teams are not often able to take advantage of these mistakes. You just have to look at football higher up the pyramid - for example in cup games we've had over the years when we've played well but given a higher ranked team half a sniff and they take it.

We can improve all over the pitch of course but only to a certain point and that'll still mean making odd errors, as long as we keep punishing the opposition more than they punish us we'll be fine.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:29 am

I thought Norton's ball distribution was top class and his open play passing was inch perfect.

overall play was encouraging and all 3 goals were very well taken, attacking was quick and direct and passing good.

Commitment in tackles and headers were good and communication was adequate, the skipper marshalled his troops well and was probably the most committed guy on the pitch.

my only concern was the lack of concentration when trying to hold the ball and consolidation periods with some sloppy work, better teams will exploit it.

but overall a fantastic night and I'm very surprised at the level of skill shown, fitness was top draw.

a few improvements and we will get promoted at the first attempt.

tezza

Post by tezza » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:32 am

With the exception of a couple of first half defensive lapses, a solid all round performance.

The highlight has to be Steve Johnson, his enthusiasm and determination to do well for his home town team should be an inspiration to every Darlo supporter past and present to get up and give some encouragement to the playing team, playing management team and the new board.

I hope that Steve,s goal, which showed real skill and adroit finishing, and particularly his celebration was caught on camera, great moment for him and his family.

CHARLIE he is a credit to you

DFC81

Post by DFC81 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:45 am

princes town wrote:

Haughton - Alan White

Any others out there.

Going back a few years and not quite the same level but

Longfield - Michael Carter, Carl Pepper, Garry Barnes (Williamson) all played in the first team for Darlo. Graham Pepper was at Newcastle

tezza

Post by tezza » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:05 am

is this thread not about the game and its participants? ...or an opportunity to recall times gone by

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:12 am

tezza wrote:is this thread not about the game and its participants? ...or an opportunity to recall times gone by
Is there a problem with that like?

Christophano

Post by Christophano » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:13 am

tezza wrote:is this thread not about the game and its participants? ...or an opportunity to recall times gone by
Can't it be both?
Discussions meander like this?
Anyone fancy creating a thread so specifically for discussing Darlo schoolboys done well? I can move these posts over to it around lunchtime, it's an interesting diversion.

tezza

Post by tezza » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:14 am

No problem specific thread an excellent idea

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:14 pm

DFC81 wrote:
princes town wrote:

Haughton - Alan White

Any others out there.

Going back a few years and not quite the same level but

Longfield - Michael Carter, Carl Pepper, Garry Barnes (Williamson) all played in the first team for Darlo. Graham Pepper was at Newcastle
So pretty much every school besides Branksome then? :D
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:35 pm

Christophano wrote:

No he didn't - he clearly indicated that no offence had been committed.
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:45 pm

Allan Quatermain wrote:
Christophano wrote:

No he didn't - he clearly indicated that no offence had been committed.

Incorrect. He waited for play to develop, when the ball broke in Darlo's favour he pointed towards the area of play.

He then made eye contact with the defender whilst pointing at him, he then had a word with him when the team were walking back for the retake.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:47 pm

Marske's manager also went apeshit at the ref for playing it on.

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:48 pm

divas wrote:Marske's manager also went apeshit at the ref for playing it on.
He went apeshit at giving us the advantage? :wtf:

divas

Post by divas » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:51 pm

Hilly wrote:
He wanted it pulling back for a free kick to us AFTER the goal had been scored - clearly had nothing to say at the time when the foul was committed.

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:05 pm

divas wrote:
Hilly wrote:
He wanted it pulling back for a free kick to us AFTER the goal had been scored - clearly had nothing to say at the time when the foul was committed.
What an idiot!