New Name - Can we be just called Darlington ? or Darlo

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

davidcurrieclass
Team Supported: Darlington

New Name - Can we be just called Darlington ? or Darlo

Post by davidcurrieclass » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:27 am

I don't know if I'm missing something here but is there anything to stop us just being called Darlington! if you look at official league tables fixtures etc we are always listed as simply Darlington, not Darlington FC. I know the legal entity who owns a football club always has a company name different to the football team. Lets just drop the FC if that is our official name, Failing that stuff the FA and call ourselves Darlo. As we all refer to ourselves as darlo anyway

DL5

Re: New Name - Can we be just called Darlington ? or Darlo

Post by DL5 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:34 am

I asked this and would like to know the answer.

Being "Darlington" if we can beats anything else I'm sure everyone would agree.

herts_darlo

Post by herts_darlo » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:38 am

No, sadly not, as it is not "distinct" enough from Darlington FC.

Not sure about Darlo though - would say that I'd go off and check, but I'm finding it difficult to get a definitive answer on anything at the moment.

DL5

Post by DL5 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:44 am

herts_darlo wrote:No, sadly not, as it is not "distinct" enough from Darlington FC.

Not sure about Darlo though - would say that I'd go off and check, but I'm finding it difficult to get a definitive answer on anything at the moment.
Ah, cheers, I'd prefer "Darlo FC" to anything else already proposed if it was possible.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:46 am

herts_darlo wrote:No, sadly not, as it is not "distinct" enough from Darlington FC.

Are we allowed Darlington AFC?

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:02 am

Darlo as a team name as opposed to a nickname sounds sort of tacky to me. A bit like Christening your child Robbo, just doesn't sound right. My surname is Roberts and I went through most of my young adult life being known as Robbo, but I certainly wouldn't want my son to be Christened as such. If that makes any sense?
COME ON DARLO!

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:19 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: .... funny as .... really made me laugh that. Everyone calls Darlington Darlo for sure but it is sort of colloquial and a bit too informal really but hey ... I think we need to stick something up someone .... sorry if that sounds bad like!

wishmaster3211

Post by wishmaster3211 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:30 am

Oh dear God. Have the FA Politburo published a list of names that they consider "distinct" enough or are they just going to block all the obvious ones. I like CFC but it strikes me they could veto that. I think we are going to end up being .....1883 at this rate.

Or maybe Team 24? :roll:

herts_darlo

Post by herts_darlo » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:34 am

wishmaster3211 wrote:

Oh dear God. Have the FA Politburo published a list of names that they consider "distinct" enough or are they just going to block all the obvious ones. I like CFC but it strikes me they could veto that. I think we are going to end up being .....1883 at this rate.

They won't tell us what will pass/fail outright, as it has to be approved by a separate committee, but they have not objected to the shortlist I provided yesterday.

Just trying to tie down the timescales and practicalities now.

shawry

Post by shawry » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:36 am

wishmaster3211 wrote:
We could change every year depending on the number of teams in the division :)

How about 'The team formerly known as Darlington FC' ;)

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:39 am

shawry wrote:
wishmaster3211 wrote:
We could change every year depending on the number of teams in the division :)

How about 'The team formerly known as Darlington FC' ;)
And when we win promotion we could party like it was 1999 lol
COME ON DARLO!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:41 am

i am interested to see what they define as distinct enough considering every other team that DIDN'T take on debt of the previous regime has been allowed to get away with AFC!

Make it up as they go along if they wouldn't allow it to be honest - CFC would be really good I think it really tells the story...

Plenty of other suggestions considering we are Darlington they can't take that away from us surely...or else they are making us change our location we are just stating the town we are from and they have never set a precident such as that before...

SC (Sports Club), SFC (Sports & Football Club), CFC (Community Football Club), FT (Football Team), NPC (not-phoenix club), CC (Community Club)...any others!?

CFC could stand for continuation football club as well actually...

Personally think 1883 doesn't look good and could stick on the fixtures, the initials at the end of a team usually get dropped anyway! But 1883 would be a bit different.

Darlo would look awful!

wishmaster3211

Post by wishmaster3211 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:03 pm

The not liking "AFC" is a new thing I think. I lose the thread really as it came about from Liquidated and Phoenix Clubs not from Clubs that retained some part of the original teams identity. I suppose IF (as I have no idea of its relevance at this level) the Share is a factor, they are worried Raj flogs it to someone else and sets up a Darlington FC things may get confusing.

Any addition to the name is going to get dropped pretty fast. The only reason they don't is when the fans have deliberately chosen the name (IE AFC Wimbledon).

Whole thing is annoying, feel like an extra punishment for appealing tbh.

DL5

Post by DL5 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:18 pm

Just thinking about this we're not allowed "Darlington" as it's too close to Darlington FC

Well surely that rules out Darlington AFC and AFC Darlington as they're closer are they not?

Also Darlington 1883 and 1883 Darlington are just as close as Darlington, being 2 characters longer than the original and Darlington being 2 characters shorter.

:think:

CSJambo
Team Supported: Heart of Midlothian

Post by CSJambo » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:03 am

Well if a certain team up here can get away with it, what about adding "THE" at the front. or is that not distinct enough?

divas

Post by divas » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:03 am

I'm worried the FA are railroading us into this too quickly, we don't even know what they will/wont allow and its likely they'll just turn round on Monday and say, you cant have that...

IMO it's got to be something like Darlington AFC, or very similar that will preserve the "Darlington" and just be a prefix. As a very last resort Darlington FC 1883. How can we hope to keep associated history when we're called something tangibly different like Locomotive Darlington

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:11 am

divas wrote:I'm worried the FA are railroading us into this too quickly, we don't even know what they will/wont allow and its likely they'll just turn round on Monday and say, you cant have that...

IMO it's got to be something like Darlington AFC, or very similar that will preserve the "Darlington" and just be a prefix. As a very last resort Darlington FC 1883. How can we hope to keep associated history when we're called something tangibly different like Locomotive Darlington
The FA will say no to AFC/CFC anything really, we will then end up with a choice of Locomotive/Dynamo Darlington or Darlington 1883, we will go with 1883 and the board will take some stick. Everyone will move on.

I will be surprised if Mike Amos and the NL website have to change anything.

Can we not call ourselves "The FA say we can't be called Darlington FC", love to see that in the papers each week.

The_Ponderer

Post by The_Ponderer » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:26 am

I know that a couple of years back The Sun refused to print Southampton's name.
Instead they were referred to as "South Coast Team".
I hope we do end up with a ridiculously long name.
This will simply cause people not to use it and we will forever just be known as Darlington.

I also think that the letters "FC" have to be included somewhere in a club's name.
A few weeks back someone posted a link to the FA-Squared's very own madey-up rule book and there is a rule in there which states that a club's name must indicate the name of the town or district/borough in which they play.
Obviously, with this in mind, I hope the FA-Squared understand that our move to Bishop is temporary. :P

Could some obliging person who still has or knows the link to the rules please post it?

botrash

Post by botrash » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:30 am

The_Ponderer wrote:I know that a couple of years back The Sun refused to print Southampton's name.
Instead they were referred to as "South Coast Team".
I hope we do end up with a ridiculously long name.
This will simply cause people not to use it and we will forever just be known as Darlington.

I also think that the letters "FC" have to be included somewhere in a club's name.
A few weeks back someone posted a link to the FA-Squared's very own madey-up rule book and there is a rule in there which states that a club's name must indicate the name of the town or district/borough in which they play.
Obviously, with this in mind, I hope the FA-Squared understand that our move to Bishop is temporary. :P

Could some obliging person who still has or knows the link to the rules please post it?
It wouldn't surprise me if the FA tried it, nothing they do surprises me any more!!

Durham Tees Valley FC anyone? :shifty:

botrash

Post by botrash » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:37 am

divas wrote:I'm worried the FA are railroading us into this too quickly, we don't even know what they will/wont allow and its likely they'll just turn round on Monday and say, you cant have that...

Have any of the recent Phoenix clubs actually used AFC as a suffix, or only a prefix? Maybe that's something the FA have enforced, to stop them being too similar to the original name?

I like the idea of some kind of suffix that everyone will drop, and actually like the CFC to differentiate us and show the direction the new community club is heading. I worry that a prefix, however, will be less likely to be dropped, so DFC 1883 may then be a better option than AFC Darlington?

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:42 am

botrash wrote: I like the idea of some kind of suffix that everyone will drop, and actually like the CFC to differentiate us and show the direction the new community club is heading. I worry that a prefix, however, will be less likely to be dropped, so DFC 1883 may then be a better option than AFC Darlington?
This is my thinking
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

wellindarlo

Post by wellindarlo » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:47 am

Halifax Town A.F.C. became F.C. Halifax Town

leedscol

Post by leedscol » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:50 am

Farsley Celtic-became Farsley AFC.
Had to have new badge etc but still Farsley Celtic to most fans and always will be.

DAVEB9R25S2

Post by DAVEB9R25S2 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:52 am

WHAT ABOUT "CRAPPED ON FROM A GREAT HEIGHT" but still UNITED

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:55 am

yep and whenever you see them listed they are down as FC Halifax Town...

If they had gone to Halifax Town FC I bet they would just be down as Halifax Town on the fixtures.

The other thing for the pedantics out there is that a prefix it doesn't actually really make sense in English like it does elsewhere in Europe!

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:57 am

lo36789 wrote:yep and whenever you see them listed they are down as FC Halifax Town...

If they had gone to Halifax Town FC I bet they would just be down as Halifax Town on the fixtures.

The other thing for the pedantics out there is that a prefix it doesn't actually really make sense in English like it does elsewhere in Europe!
Pedants, not pedantics.

And I think we all realised it was just a way to differentiate between a new and old club, and not grammatically correct.

botrash

Post by botrash » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:01 pm

Jazz Maverick wrote:Pedants, not pedantics
:lol: :clap:

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:03 pm

botrash wrote:
Jazz Maverick wrote:Pedants, not pedantics
:lol: :clap:
I thought the irony was delicious

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:29 pm

i'm just glad of having a team to watch next season, Darlington 1883 F.C will do for me.it will invoke memories of our long history in football. onwards and upwards darlo.

The_Ponderer

Post by The_Ponderer » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:40 pm

After Wembley last year a few of us wandered around The Big Village on the night for a drink and we met many football fans and very few of those actually recognised our badge - due to the fact the club name does not appear on it.
The only people who did were the Oompah Lumpahs we met. (any guesses who those were? Anyone remember????)

By the end of the night we were all in agreement that the club badge needed amending to include the actual name of the club...but now I am thinking that the badge was "correct" all along.
It actually seems to be beyond the reach of the FA-Squared - they absolutely can't force a change of nickname - and I do believe that we have actually paid for the rights to this - so as long as no fans insist on us changing our nickname, we won't have to do what those other clubs have done and change the badge!